"meme"

Junkhead

I'm starting to hate this word. People are starting to use this word for just about anything. Memes- actual memes, were funny...at some point. I think we're quite past said point when it's basically it's own language. Ironically; "unironically".  It's like you can't even have semblance of a real conversation without referencing this, that, "alpha male", "soyboy cuck". Just the same losers insulting others when they're likely victim of this as well.

It's legitimately nauseating to navigate comment sections and forums, nowaday. I'm trying to say this place is an exception, since I likely wouldn't be ranting about it in any other place.

yeah, yeah. I'm complaining about this when some higher wisdom person will come along and say "you are free to stay from all that". I don't really care, I just want to get it out there because I might not be the only one feeling this way.

I kinda know how you feel. Here in Brazil people makes meme with everything out of every situation. It's irritating when you try to have an actual conversation with someone and they reply with 4 pages of memes and stuff.

Most memes are just dragging a dead gag as far as they can possibly take it, but if you're hearing "alpha male" and "soyboy cuck" constantly in your social circle, you're surrounded by some shitty people.

4 hours ago, Mell said:

I kinda know how you feel. Here in Brazil people makes meme with everything out of every situation. It's irritating when you try to have an actual conversation with someone and they reply with 4 pages of memes and stuff.

29 minutes ago, Johann said:

Most memes are just dragging a dead gag as far as they can possibly take it, but if you're hearing "alpha male" and "soyboy cuck" constantly in your social circle, you're surrounded by some shitty people.

Oh, no. If I actually heard that in real life, I'd kill myself.

Alright, that's an exaggeration. It's mostly on the Internet (obviously?). I don't think I've seen common people here, in Argentina, talking like that (thank god).

Maybe I'm frequenting Youtube comments too much?

27 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

You shouldn't pay attention to people that use meme words like "cuck", "alpha male", "soyboy". They tend to be used by questionable people. 

It's one of the many references that go on, nowadays. What else? "shook", "woke"...even the word "unironically" I quoted? That's why I quotted it.

You people make me realise I just hang out in qustionable places. lol

2 minutes ago, Oz ♠ said:

Oh, no. If I actually heard that in real life, I'd kill myself.

Alright, that's an exaggeration. It's mostly on the Internet (obviously?). I don't think I've seen common people here, in Argentina, talking like that (thank god).

Well there's your problem, that's like drinking from the toilet. Should note that if the comments are using those terms in support of the video, you might be watching the kind of thing that's fueling that rhetoric. Meanwhile, videos with comments that use those terms against the video and its creator(s) are usually a sign that the video has something critical of that kind of rhetoric, or otherwise undermines their agenda.

27 minutes ago, Oz ♠ said:

If this is what you're complaining about, then yes, you do hang out in questionable places.

I'm moving this to General.  Serious Discussion is not for "off my chest" things.

29 minutes ago, Oz ♠ said:

It's one of the many references that go on, nowadays. What else? "shook", "woke"...even the word "unironically" I quoted? That's why I quotted it.

Yeah, I've read Youtube comments and they're really bad most of the time. 

And I don't know what videos you watch but I feel like a lot of the words you mention happen to be words used by people who are right leaning on the political scale. Not that I want to bring politics into this but that's just my experience.

5 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Yeah, I've read Youtube comments and they're really bad most of the time. 

And I don't know what videos you watch but I feel like a lot of the words you mention happen to be words used by people who are right leaning on the political scale. Not that I want to bring politics into this but that's just my experience.

I mostly watch either FEH videos, Dragon Ball Super or bodybuilding and self improvement.

so, uh, yeah

7 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

You even see that stuff in FEH videos?

Everybody talking in meme and half of the comment being perverted weeb jokes? Uh. Yeah.

3 minutes ago, Oz ♠ said:

Everybody talking in meme and half of the comment being perverted weeb jokes? Uh. Yeah.

Yeeeaaaaaah not a big fan of that either.

I mean I don't really mind a quick stupid waifu joke here and there but the anime community (and some game communities) have taken it to another level of overuse to the point that one of the first thing you see are those THICC or THOT memes. 

Come to think of it, I do kind of dislike FE memes because they tend to get overused to the point people tend to only see the meme behind a character and not the character anymore.

19 minutes ago, Oz ♠ said:

I mostly watch either FEH videos, Dragon Ball Super or bodybuilding and self improvement.

so, uh, yeah

Relevant to the "soyboy" thing, which is deeply rooted in misinformation in the bodybuilding community:

Regarding self-improvement, are you referring to Jordan Peterson videos? I recall you said you're into his stuff.

3 hours ago, Johann said:

Relevant to the "soyboy" thing, which is deeply rooted in misinformation in the bodybuilding community:

Regarding self-improvement, are you referring to Jordan Peterson videos? I recall you said you're into his stuff.

I hate sliding slightly off topic, but I liked watching that video - it surmises a lot of the problems with bodybuilding, the supplement industry and how hard it’s so hard to find factual information about anything that you have to pop open EBSCO, JSTOR, or PUBMED and do the research yourself and any information you do find ends up buried in a sea of anecdotes with no FDA regulation.

Edited by Bubba Jones

1 hour ago, Bubba Jones said:

I hate sliding slightly off topic, but I liked watching that video - it surmises a lot of the problems with bodybuilding, the supplement industry and how hard it’s so hard to find factual information about anything that you have to pop open EBSCO, JSTOR, or PUBMED and do the research yourself and any information you do find ends up buried in a sea of anecdotes with no FDA regulation.

I suppose it's not too off-topic since the things it addresses are effectively memes or propagated by them. Bad science is pretty closely tied to shit-tier meme culture, after all

I have some issues that prevent me from leaving home too much. I only go out to work and rarely I hang out with my co-workers to drink something and I usually go home after some hours. Yesterday was one of those day and I just realized how stupid they are using all these "meme-language" in real life and I remembered this topic. Here where I live there is this recurring meme about an old singer and dancer that used to be famous and she talks in some slang like "lacrei" , "queridinha" and that pissed me of so much I don't know why. Sorry if I'm not making sense but I just hate these thing ugh