Ideas  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Make Lilina a mage Lord (*could include axes).

• Yes, make Lilina a mage lord with axes.
    • Yes, I am in favor Lilina being a mage lord but no axes should be included
    • No.
  2. 2. Make Knights use different weapons (Barth-Axes,Wendy-Swords,Bors-Lances).

3. 3. Make Cavaliers use different weapons(Lance-Lances xd-etc).

4. 4. Skirmishes.

• They should be removed
    • They should be customized
  5. 5. Change roy's promotion time.(make him promote quicker).

3 hours ago, WhydidImakethisaccount said:

Such thing would make the characters overpowered

Support boosts would definitely have to be rebalanced if such a thing where to be implemented. To be honest, it was sort of a spur of the moment suggestion, in hindsight not necessarily a good one.

On the topic of supports, are you planning to recreate the limit FE6 placed on support points gained per chapter (as I don't think that is a thing in FE8)?

Oh my, this looks very promising. I hope this FE6 remake actually reaches completion or near completion especially since it's using FE8 as a base as opposed to FE7. There's a lot more room for changes in terms of gameplay and design in FE8.

Though I have a few suggestions, I like the idea of Lilina being a Mage lord but keep her with magic and give her axes as a secondary weapon upon promotion. About the Knights, I like the idea of them using different weapons, but then you'd have to heavily balance the weapons types. Wendy's already a very bad unit and making her locked to swords just makes her even worse. The same goes for cavaliers, if you have a class that's locked to one weapon type, you have to balance all the other weapons to give people a reason to use that class or unit.

About Roy's promotion time, I wholeheartedly want him to promote earlier, but you'll have to find a way to make a way for his promotion to work in the story so it isn't awkwardly written, as well as rewriting the part where he gets the binding blade where he's initially supposed to promote.

Anyways, good luck with your exams and I hope to see more progress on this hack when you're done.

40 minutes ago, Mega Koopa X said:

Wendy's already a very bad unit and making her locked to swords just makes her even worse.

How so? One of the things that made Wendy so hard to train in the original was that she joined as a lancelocked unit that joined right before a long stretch of almost nothing but axe enemies, making it hard for her to even hit most of them. It's, for example, rather risky for her to engage the pirate reinforcements in chapter 9, who are otherwise useful for training up weaker units.

1 hour ago, Mega Koopa X said:

The same goes for cavaliers, if you have a class that's locked to one weapon type, you have to balance all the other weapons to give people a reason to use that class or unit.

Cavaliers are already much better than almost everything else, and restricting what weapons each of them can use at base won't change that.

As for Roy's promotion time, I feel that a good spot could be when Guinevere gives him the Fire Emblem (that is, upon clearing chapter 16).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 8:01 PM, Diffuse said:

How so? One of the things that made Wendy so hard to train in the original was that she joined as a lancelocked unit that joined right before a long stretch of almost nothing but axe enemies, making it hard for her to even hit most of them. It's, for example, rather risky for her to engage the pirate reinforcements in chapter 9, who are otherwise useful for training up weaker units.

Cavaliers are already much better than almost everything else, and restricting what weapons each of them can use at base won't change that.

As for Roy's promotion time, I feel that a good spot could be when Guinevere gives him the Fire Emblem (that is, upon clearing chapter 16).

Sorry for the late reply, sure with swords Wendy will be good in pirate land, but in general swords are a pretty bad weapon type especially in FE6-9 (I haven't played 10). The problem with swords is that most swords excluding rare swords like the binding blade or rune sword are locked to one range. Being locked to one range wouldn't be so bad in other games, but because of the fact that hand axes and javelins exists and are obtained easily, it discredits the need for swords, especially since a lot of the gba games are extremely enemy phase-oriented. It's the same reason why bows are often reviled amongst the community.

It's like they have mages who can use 1-2 range weapons but they nerf them by giving them horrible base stats, while Knights, Cavaliers, Pegasus Knights and any other lance class can use javelins with no kind of impediment. Part of the reason why swords and bows are better in the later games are because of the fact that the games have become more player phase-oriented and also hand axes and javelins are heavily nerfed. although, they aren't nerfed enough.

21 hours ago, Mega Koopa X said:

Sorry for the late reply, sure with swords Wendy will be good in pirate land, but in general swords are a pretty bad weapon type especially in FE6-9 (I haven't played 10). The problem with swords is that most swords excluding rare swords like the binding blade or rune sword are locked to one range. Being locked to one range wouldn't be so bad in other games, but because of the fact that hand axes and javelins exists and are obtained easily, it discredits the need for swords, especially since a lot of the gba games are extremely enemy phase-oriented. It's the same reason why bows are often reviled amongst the community.

It's like they have mages who can use 1-2 range weapons but they nerf them by giving them horrible base stats, while Knights, Cavaliers, Pegasus Knights and any other lance class can use javelins with no kind of impediment. Part of the reason why swords and bows are better in the later games are because of the fact that the games have become more player phase-oriented and also hand axes and javelins are heavily nerfed. although, they aren't nerfed enough.

While I'm aware of all that, I feel that Gwendolyn actually being able to hit stuff on the first 6 maps after you recruit her helps her more than being swordlocked until promotion hurts her (I assume knights will be able to use more weapon types upon promotion to general).

I also feel the need to point out that FE6 is one of the more player phase-oriented games in the series.

6 hours ago, Diffuse said:

While I'm aware of all that, I feel that Gwendolyn actually being able to hit stuff on the first 6 maps after you recruit her helps her more than being swordlocked until promotion hurts her (I assume knights will be able to use more weapon types upon promotion to general).

I also feel the need to point out that FE6 is one of the more player phase-oriented games in the series.

I can't see any good reason not to give Knights two weapon types at base. Cavaliers do it. And in this particular case it's solve both problems.

Edited by Jotari

On 25.6.2018 at 5:27 AM, Jotari said:

I can't see any good reason not to give Knights two weapon types at base. Cavaliers do it. And in this particular case it's solve both problems.

The point of discussion, though, was whether being locked to swords instead of lances helps or hinders Gwendolyn.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree. If there's any class that deserves more than one weapon type at base, it's Knights. They could use both swords and lances back in FE1, so it's not like there's no precedent either.

38 minutes ago, WhydidImakethisaccount said:

When I said; having knights use different weapons I meant, being an other class that use other weapon for example: Wendy using ONLY swords and Bors using ONLY axes (same with cavaliers, vyvern riders and pegasus riders)

I think everybody realises that. We're just throwing out suggestions.

6 hours ago, Diffuse said:

I think everybody realises that. We're just throwing out suggestions.

Concurred, I do realize that, and think you could go one step further and give all of them two distinct weapon types of their own.

On 27.6.2018 at 4:18 AM, Jotari said:

Concurred, I do realize that, and think you could go one step further and give all of them two distinct weapon types of their own.

I second this. FE10 already sort of did it with the various generals (which, outside of part 1, might as well be that game's version of unpromoted knights).

6 hours ago, WhydidImakethisaccount said:

Also, something else, I'd like to note ; 45 people are interested in this hack? wow

I'd better continue making it eventually.

Sorry bro but wrong, it's 46 now. :)

I voted now, would love to see FE6 get an upgrade into FE8. :)

Just one question. Will the growth rates be exactly the same as they were in FE6? or will you alter them like Fe6 ReDux did?

Count on me! I really would like to play it.

Specially 'cause from the GBA games FE8 has the best UI, and play with Lilina as Lord would be an extra.

If we're doing dual promotions... Maybe Roy has a choice to be a mounted unit. In exchange for less strength and defense upon promotion (instead gaining a +1 in strength and defense) or even no increase in those stats), Roy gains +3 in movement along with more speed. Could be an interesting choice.

On 7/3/2018 at 4:00 PM, Jerry Kuma said:

If we're doing dual promotions... Maybe Roy has a choice to be a mounted unit. In exchange for less strength and defense upon promotion (instead gaining a +1 in strength and defense) or even no increase in those stats), Roy gains +3 in movement along with more speed. Could be an interesting choice.

While this is a neat idea, it's unlikely that Lords would get a branching promotion, as the twins don't have them. That and I'm not a huge fan of mounted units.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I would also like to know if this is still happening. The Discord links here are expired.

Really interested, this has been a dream project of mine for some time, but I've never had the free time to learn FE romhacking till now.