Best and worst dressed characters

Camilla does go a bit overboard with the fanservice, but the black and purple colour scheme do look pretty good on her. I'd actually call the design great if she put on some pants.

My least favourite design is Sophie. I think going too far with the fanservice hurts designs more then it helps, but at the very least I can see Charlotte and Camilla go for an outfit like that. Sophie not wearing pants not only makes her look worse, but there is also nothing in her character that suggest she'd walk around in her underwear all the time.

Oh wow I completely forgot to name my best dressed characters.

For the females that honour would go to Titania, Cecilia, Sigrun and Louise.

Males would be Roy, Klein, Xander/Siegbert and Pent.

Worst is Camilla or any of the Awakening Dark Mages. Beyond just being unappealing, these outfits don't make any real sense. Boob armor is an instant "This is bad and dumb", and Camilla amps it up to 11, and the bad leather strap that exists between her boobs purely to draw the eye. The outfit doesn't make any sense and looks bad. Not even going onto her lack of pants, because if you're riding a leather saddle on a giant flying lizard...

Well, next time you think Camilla looks sexy, just imagine the giant, pus-filled blisters that probably run all the way up and down her thighs. Then again, I'm sure that's somebody's fetish.

As for the Dark Mages, sheer in a desert environment is just bad. Visually not as bad as Camilla's outfit, but even worse as far as common sense goes. Camilla's outfit is bad, but it's just Camilla. The sheer and underwear look of Plegians is clearly an army-mandated outfit, and I can only imagine somebody who simply doesn't know better coming up with the whole idea. They're even worse than the mini-skirt wearing Pegasus Knights from cold environments in the GBA era, on top of just not looking good.

Plegian Bandits and Berserkers would also qualify, since they go beyond the stupidity of wearing sheer in the desert and just wear bondage leather and bones, but I'm just going based on playable characters. If we included enemy characters, this would go on forever just railing against the design choices in Awakening and Fates.

Best? I'll echo @Sasori and say Klein. I've always liked his outfit, and it's probably the best case of "This guy is a royal" while also clearly defining what class and role he fills. Innes to a lesser degree also pulls this off, but Klein does it better. Klein's dad also has a pretty great outfit.

Edited by Slumber

Best

I've always really loved Ayra, Micaiah, Ninian and Celica's designs. Something about them are just.... really pretty and tasteful to me.

For guys? Ike, Xander, Alfonse, Marth, and I've always liked Chrom and Zelgius's red armor.

Worst

Camilla, pantsless female Corrin... actually anyone not wearing pants that definitely should wear pants. Wear pants to battle! Unless you're pantsless Marth, he gets a pass. I really don't like Ryoma's armor, it feels too... busy. 

The worst are pretty much any female units with panty windows who aren't performance artists (because for characters like Olivia and Azura, skimpy outfits actually make sense).  Also a lot of bandits in general; the only axe fighters I like are the ones that are dressed in more than speedos and random straps here and there.  Besides them, plenty of generics from Awakening look stupid, and Libra doesn't really look much like a woman (he just has long hair) so he's bad for not fulfilling his one gimmick.

I've always been a fan of 'Boro and Mozu's designs, but apart from them I also like the designs and clothes of Ayra and her daughter, Reina, Cecilia, Titania, Katarina, Catria in Echoes, Lucina, Sheema, Nagi, Altenna, Nephenee, and Lute, among various others.  Basically, I like some level of modesty and women who actually look like they're older than some prancing teenagers.  In the case of the sword fighters I mentioned, they manage to tread the line between badass and sexy.

In regards to the boys, I like the outfits and designs of Abel, Sigurd and his son, Frederick, the Grustian generals (Lawrence and Camus), Hardin, adult!Oifaye (mustache can be part of an outfit, right?), PoR Ike, Lex, Shinon, Shiro the Hiro (since he has pretty much the same uniform as 'Boro, it's a given), Saizo, and all the male Nohrian healers.  Also Arthur for looking like a wannabe superhero and also ironically looking like the least dumb male fighter in the game.

I also just generally like the Fates mercs and Fates male armor knights.  Some might say all that armor would be impractical and uncomfortable, and while it definitely seems like it'd be heavy, I imagine the knights are wearing some kind of padding underneath so that the metal doesn't sear their skin in hot environments like the desert.  Fates finally seemed to nail down that heavy armor look without making it look super stupid with ugly shoulder pads and whatnot.  And the mercs are just simply nice looking, imo.

1 hour ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Best

I've always really loved Ayra, Micaiah, Ninian and Celica's designs. Something about them are just.... really pretty and tasteful to me.

For guys? Ike, Xander, Alfonse, Marth, and I've always liked Chrom and Zelgius's red armor.

Worst

Camilla, pantsless female Corrin... actually anyone not wearing pants that definitely should wear pants. Wear pants to battle! Unless you're pantsless Marth, he gets a pass. I really don't like Ryoma's armor, it feels too... busy. 

Obviously, Nohr's crop shortage also applies to its fabric. :P

Seriously, though, why does nobody wear pants? It looks quite painful when you're riding something.

My personal worst is actually Nowi. Whoever designed her probably is on a list somewhere.

Edited by CyberController

Worst

Any Nohrian dark mage, for example Odin
Dark Fliers who for some reason don't need armor even though they're not going to move their bodies in anyway other than their arms and hands. Malig Knight's are pretty dumb too.

Best

Great Knights (Their armor is like as close as you can get to full plate in this game, the general is just a gigantic metal ball.)Let's go with Frederick on this one
In terms of pure style I like Camus', Eldigan's and Ares' designs for their cool black and gold color scheme with that rogue fighter sort of design.
Ike to me looks like a literal superhero, and Stefan kind of looks like a god, if not the coolest swordsmaster design ever.
Sigurd looks the most grandiose, and Skirmir looks the most beastly.
Deirdre looks the most in tune with nature and the holy-type of vibe as well.
Ryoma looks the fishiest most futuristic. 

Edit: Oh yeah and I hate Nowi's design the most. I even accidentally lost Nowi on my recent play-through of Awakening on Hard due to a 1% Crt from Mustafa, and I refused to reload the entire game just to save her.

Edited by Ae†her

Worst: Loki, because her outfit makes no sense.  Runner-up is the notion that Conquest girls don't deserve pants.

Best: In terms of flat-out looking stylish, that's Micaiah and Calill.  In terms of kicking ass and taking names, Shadow Dragon's Minerva fits the bill (somewhat).  The shoulder plates are overdone, and WTF is this about protecting the midsection (but that's a FE thing), and why does she even have a sword.  But she's one of the few women in armor that I actively like in FE.  For men, I'm partial to Pent.  Shout-out to Tellius for reasonable fashion for both sexes, and Thracia for having the best sense to aesthetic ratio (even if the general lack of armor is odd. . .I assume that armor is put on before combat).

Edited by eclipse

15 minutes ago, Ae†her said:

Worst

Any Nohrian dark mage, for example Odin
Dark Fliers who for some reason don't need armor even though they're not going to move their bodies in anyway other than their arms and hands. Malig Knight's are pretty dumb too.

Best

Great Knights (Their armor is like as close as you can get to full plate in this game, the general is just a gigantic metal ball.)Let's go with Frederick on this one
In terms of pure style I like Camus', Eldigan's and Ares' designs for their cool black and gold color scheme with that rogue fighter sort of design.
Ike to me looks like a literal superhero, and Stefan kind of looks like a god, if not the coolest swordsmaster design ever.
Sigurd looks the most grandiose, and Skirmir looks the most beastly.
Deirdre looks the most in tune with nature and the holy-type of vibe as well.
Ryoma looks the fishiest most futuristic. 

Edit: Oh yeah and I hate Nowi's design the most. I even accidentally lost Nowi on my recent play-through of Awakening on Hard due to a 1% Crt from Mustafa, and I refused to reload the entire game just to save her.

Mustafa is the real hero in awakening.

Best:

Calill

The Gandalf Club - Athos, Gotoh, and  Nomah

Certain holy men - Saul from FE6, Artur from FE8, Boah from FE11, 

Certain Dandies - Innes from FE8, Bastian from FE9

Worst:

Most RD and SoV third tiers - I hate overdesigned outfits. 

A lot of the non-bandit/fighter "midriff males" Linus from FE7, Sothe from FE9, Odin from Fates are the worst offenders off the top of my head.

Archanea:

Spoiler

Smash Marth is great, particularly in the white color. Marth in the various FEs is good as a whole.

Official Guidebooks Merric rocks the short shorts, as does "Flash" Gordin.

Hardin's turban isn't a bad idea, but nobody else wears anything like it so it feels culturally out of place.

Camus/Sirius is good.

Good official art shortage, which is what I generally go by, hurts the Archanea crew badly. The TCG stuff, if not as "official" is on the whole good though. Barring some nightmares like Series 6 Hardin and Merric.

FE4:

Spoiler

Well-dressed:

Sigurd is always very stylish. Doesn't matter whether it's Treasure or game manual original artwork.

Patty is cute, but only the Treasure artwork which gives her pants instead of a skirt (I hope FE4 Remake goes with the Treasure dress code instead of ingame FE4, but I doubt it).

Arvis is like Sigurd, arguably hotter, arguably not.

Briggid is tasteful, rough, and strong, Treasure or not.

Deidre, well I used to really like her appearance as being the epitome of a classical idealized woman- pure unwed, devoted in marriage, and maternal as a mother. I'm not so in love with it now, but I do think it still hits all those marks.

Super Tactics book Travant is a pretty epically awesome warrior.

Treasure Tine is kinda cute.

Poorly-dressed:

Arthur Treasure version is a little strange with the shorts, it just doesn't work. Treasure Amid is just as bad if not worse.

FE5:

Spoiler

Well-dressed:

Leif is probably my favorite of the lords aesthetically. That and Smash Marth in white.

Eyvel is good.

Selphina is also good.

Overall Amalda is strong.

Slumber Homer is rather distinct, in a good way.

Poorly-dressed:

Not sure why, but I dislike Perne's very plain attire, maybe it looks slightly too modern?

Lifis, the colors! I've decided that today, I don't like them. Even though five years from now when you get in Heroes, I'll be asking for a custom sprite scene consisting of you sitting on the ground in your underwear with Lief in your clothes.

FE6:

Spoiler

Well-dressed:

Melee Roy is good, FE6 OA Roy needs the colors tweaked, Smash 4 doesn't have Roy, only a redhead Ike.

Not sure why, but I Hugh's fashion sense.

Lugh, go ahead and criticize me for liking the banana mage.

Igrene is nice.

Larum, not my favorite dancer, but it is a more kid-friendly outfit and suits a small town rural dancer appearance, as opposed to a more exotic or rich one.

Sin maybe?

Geese I would say as well.

Elphin takes the bronze amongst the traps.

Poorly-dressed:

Trec! Those colors!

Cecilia, her colors have the opposite problem of Trec's, good, but too bold. Tone 'em down! This a problem affecting a sizable portion of the FE6 cast.

FE7:

Spoiler

Well-dressed:

Pent

Nils is adorable, slightly nerdy I for some reason get from the scarf, and I like the color scheme.

Sonia works for what she is- a manipulative vain seductress, and it isn't overdone.

Lucius does trap the best in the entire series.

Lloyd rocks the European take on Swordmaster.

Leila's color scheme is a little odd, but I like the whole outfit.

Matthew might be a little boring by comparison, but he shows off some but not too much muscular arm, so it compensates.

Legault is also a stylish thief in his own way, I like the color scheme.

Poorly-dressed:

Vaida doesn't look bad per se, but I think it's a few inches too short, then again, maybe she wants it to be that way?

Priscilla... I don't know whether to love or to hate those Speedwings you wear. Nanna started it, but I saw you with it first, and I don't think it looks as good on you.

Ninian I for some reason find eh. Not sure why, other than her FE7 official art having a drab color palette.

SS:

Spoiler

Well-dressed:

Ismaire reminds me of Ashera, but much much better visually.

Tethys is a bit older among FE dancers, if not the oldest in maturity, and her attire, if red as red can be, is appropriate for it. Tasteful insofar as a dancer can be, but still entertaining.

Syrene looks like she is actually dressed for battle, note the very long legging that look like pants.

For the men... I'm not the biggest fan of Joshua's hat, but he stands out from the generic mess. Innes looks good. Lyon too I think.

Poorly-dressed:

Tana's dress is just not suited for battle in design, and I'm not fond of its color scheme.

Dozla looks too much like a dwarf, which don't exist in FE and is therefore a bad outfit.

Tellius:

Spoiler

Well-dressed:

Calill

Micaiah

Heather for some reason I really like.

Tormod is adorable and youthful in his orange cape and shorts attire.

Tanith, a yay for pants! And some style too.

Ranulf, orange and blue aren't supposed to work, and his hat is a little stupid I could see someone thinking, but I like the whole setup. Though this could be a case character interfering with my fashion sense, since I do like his personality.

Jill is beautiful for a mounted/flying unit (which tend to be boring and generic, or pantsless for females).

Tibarn looks so much like a Pirates of the Carribbean knockoff in a good way, hence I love him.

Stefan is very stylish for a more eastern Swordmaster.

Nailah, sexy but strong and tasteful. Mayhaps what Camilla should have gone for?

Volug- a little plain, but a good male counterpart to Nailah.

Reyson is the best Heron visually. Rafael looks a little too elvish, and Leanne, while beautiful and graceful like an angel, lacks the same strength.

Lucia is rather good.

Titania is good too.

Soren is a little edgy, but not overly so.

Nasir has a good experienced traveler look.

Ena- what she wears isn't too special, but her skin tone, hair and facial expressions do something with it.

Caineghis is very majestic and strong.

Sothe- interesting how he wears the same outfit in both games, but at radically different levels of physical maturity. ...And I guess I like the belly shirt?:unsure:

Sephiran is of course splendidly handsome and fashionable.

Poorly-dressed:

Naesala, I love you, but I can't decide whether your attire is fashionable, or 1950s Americana anachronistic and not suitable for FE.

PoR Geoffrey, your light green armor makes me think of lemon-lime soda, and I don't like soda, so I don't like your armor.

2 hours ago, CyberController said:

Mustafa is the real hero in awakening.

Should've been playable, but if we recruited him that would get rid of the whole reason why he's a unique character.