Changes, Additions or Refinements You Want in the Next Zelda Game

vanguard333

Changes From BOTW to the Next Zelda  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What Should be done for the Weapon Durability System?

• Increase weapon durability (as in increase the durability of each weapon overall)
    • Reduce weapon durability (as in reduce the durability of each weapon overall)
    • Leave as is
    • Remove the durability system
    • I really don't care
    • Add a visible durability gauge
  2. 2. What Should be done for Link being Left-Handed/Right-Handed?

• Bring him back to being Left-Handed
    • Leave him right-handed
    • I really don't care either way
  3. 3. What Should be done about the amount of dungeons?

• At least 8
    • Between 5 and 7
    • Between 1 and 3

These are some of the most common things I've seen people point out as to things from Breath of the Wild that should or shouldn't be changed going into the next The Legend of Zelda game. What else do you want to see changed, added, or refined going into the next Zelda game? If at least two people mention it, I'll add it to the poll above. 

Edited by vanguard333
clarification

From the OP

Weapon Durability: When I played I found  BoTW. weapon durability really exciting when I fought the first Lynenl in the (heavily suggestesd) stealth section to get the lightning arrows for the zora quuest. It was exciting to see me have to run through almost everything to take him down. However, I went to Hyrule Castle basement second before doing the other 3 divine beasts, and immediately got the Hylian shield (as well as well tons of weapons)... In all the rest of my fights in the game, I never went through an entire weapon in one monster apart from higher lynels who themselves only took 3-4, since the Castle's weapons were so beastly. My first White and Silver Lynel's actually felt anti-climatic. In summary, After the beggining of the game ... the point of durability ran it's course and it became as annoying as in other games. I kind of think dropping it entirely or giving a late-dungeon item to nullify it would be best. 

Right or Left: It's not important that he's right or left, only that all the humanoid monster's use the same one as him, so that shield/weapon's line up when you face each other (moreso in 2D) 

Number of Dungeons; OOt had about 8 (3 child with spirit stones, 5 adult) Majora had 4,  Twilight Princess had  7 (3 fused shadow, 4 fused shadow) Skyward Sword 7, Windwaker had 6   although number can change a bit depending on if you consider gannon/moon/zant castle as additional dungeons, as well as mid-game things like bottom of the well or the bokoplin prison stealth area of skyward sword. 

I think a lot of the games with small dungeon count (Wind Waker and Majora's Mask) made up for it greatly by putting dungeon-like design in the overwolrd areas so that the journey TO the dungeon itsself feels like more of an adventure. I think this is more accurate to the 2D games, especially stuff like Awakening and the Oracle games. I like having those mini-quests.  I think 5-6 true dungeons is best, with 1-2 pseduo dungeons, as I don't normally count final boss areas as dungeons.

Edited by Reality

2 hours ago, Reality said:

Right or Left: It's not important that he's right or left, only that all the humanoid monster's use the same one as him, so that shield/weapon's line up when you face each other (moreso in 2D). 

I'm curious as to your reasoning for this. The only games where Link's dominant hand matched that of humanoid enemies (excluding Shadow Link) were Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, and Link's been left-handed in every 2D game that didn't employ sprite-mirroring. In all the games where his dominant hand didn't match, was the asymmetry somehow a problem? I'm curious as to why you feel this way.

(To be clear, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, though I personally prefer when Link is left-handed since I am a lefty and he's the only iconic left-handed hero that I know of. I just want to know your reasoning behind this). 

Durability: Honestly, the only thing I ask for with Durability is give a better way to keep track of it.  Like, a fraction that decreases as you use a weapon.  That’s all I want.  Some things like say, hitting rocks can even use more durability than killing enemies, I don’t care, just keep track of it for me so when I toss weapons I toss my most used weapon.

Leftie, unless motion controls, in which case include leftie and rightie options.  And I’d rather not motion controls if possible.

5-7 good dungeons seems like a good number.  4 dungeons is fine if they’re really good dungeons like in MM, but the divine beasts in BotW really weren’t very good dungeons.  8+ seems like a lot of work, they’ve done it though... but I’d rather have 5-7 very well designed and polished dungeons.  Quality over quantity.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

16 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I'm curious as to your reasoning for this. The only games where Link's dominant hand matched that of humanoid enemies (excluding Shadow Link) were Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, and Link's been left-handed in every 2D game that didn't employ sprite-mirroring. In all the games where his dominant hand didn't match, was the asymmetry somehow a problem? I'm curious as to why you feel this way.

(To be clear, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, though I personally prefer when Link is left-handed since I am a lefty and he's the only iconic left-handed hero that I know of. I just want to know your reasoning behind this). 

Well the things that most come to mind are 2-D soldier type enemies or the staff? wielding moblins in Link to the Past - because they are also left handed, when you use the sword against them, you can clink against them - this is especially  important in a game like Four Swords Adventures or Minish Cap where they aggro more aggresively.. Having them be right handed would make them almost as free as the 1Hit kill puzzle enemies like bats, since clinking would be less likely.

In 3D thus far, it hasn't really been a problem because the things it mainly applies to (wolfos/stalfos/lizalfos,darknut) usually have their shield/blocking hitbox count on both sides anyway, and many enemy attacks can be strafed away from in either direction despite how on paper the (same side as their hand) should be harder to do so on. The principle of the thing  in 3D would apply if the shields (especially the player's own shield) were toned down to only protect the space which they actually occupy.

Edited by Reality

The amount of durability is not the issue with the system. The issues with Zelda's weapons and weapon economy are:

• There's no durability guage. A weapon about to break only notifies you once you are in the middle of your final combo
  • You cannot repair weapons. Have blacksmiths in towns, or materials you can use to rebuff a weapon.
  • You cannot sell weapons. Imagine how much more fun and profitable it would be to fight enemies and raid camps if the weapons you lugged around were worth money. And of course the higher condition a weapon is the more it's worth.
  • Because Link can run out of weapons when fighting an enemy, enemy design was encouraged to favor humanoids wielding weapons. Most non humanoid enemies die in a single hit as well. Enemy engagements are extremely dull and samey because of it.

What I've played of Wild so far: dozens of hours, 98 Shrines (I think I'll actually use the sensor for the rest), no meeting with Impa or Divine Beasts. I've just raided Hyrule Castle, which was so awesome! I tried the front entrance, but immediately after getting inside I saw too much red and jumped off a cliff, landing near the minecart, and from there I raided pretty much the entire castle wearing lv 3 Hylian clothing. When I got to the end of the castle interior I was like "really?!" I wanted more, I loved Demon Castle Ganon! Many bases were covered, but the King's bedroom wasn't, nor was the throne room or kitchen, there were still viable locations to include. The interior was also too easy, just Moblins and Lizalfos, all the real dangers- the Guardians, lay on the outside. Once you get in, it's softer than a Dodongo's stomach infected with dysentery and cherry bombs. 

Getting past me sharing my personal experiences, besides the idea of being able to forge/repair weapons being a great idea. More enemy variety and fewer skull-shaped lairs would be other good ideas, particularly non-humanoid enemies.

Hylian settlements need to be bigger and more immersive, the Stables, Lurelin, and Hateno were just there, devoid of real meaning or purpose, they represent life in an apocalyptic world unfelt by the player. Since the other races have Divine Beasts, this isn't such an issue for them.

Give every region some narrative purpose, even if you only stop there for five minutes in the story. Tabantha, Akkala, Lanayru Mountains, Faron as a whole, they're all just kinda there without real meaning either outside of Find the Shrine.

I've only ever played one other open-world game before, and that is Xenoblade Chronicles X. To compare their worlds, Wild has the bigger one when you factor out all the empty water in XCX (empty ridges are probably equal in both games). When it comes to region variety, Wild has XCX beat by a bit, but not too much, and Sylvalum is one of a kind. When it comes to sub-regional variety, by which I mean comparing Gerudo Highlands to Gerudo Desert and Tabantha's mountains to its hollows, and in XCX northern and southern Noctilums, XCX has almost as much or as much unique sub-regions as a percentage factoring out all the water I would argue. Traversing both worlds is fairly easy, Wild is easier to break from the start, but once you get the Flight Module in XCX (after Chapter 9 I believe) you go anywhere real fast. Wild is more free as a result, and to be fair, XCX doesn't have a good plot to compensate for it. The various Ganglion bases do provide a constant strong narrative enemy presence without being overwhelming, whereas you can kinda forget Ganon exists when going into Tabantha and the like. The Base Camps are also better than Stables for keeping the narrative drive alive, even if they were less useful than the Stables. Combat is simplified action vs. love or hate MMO-like RPG combat, choose whichever you prefer, they're night and day. Outside of combat, Wild has more to do though. Sidequests are way way better in XCX, even if the characters in Wild might be better, I don't really know its crew, just that XCX can be a bit lacking here.

*Ahem* Link is better as a lefty. 

And for dungeon count, well ever since AttP for the main console games (and some portable ones) save MM and Wild, they have used a Prologue-3 dungeons-intermission-more dungeons-final dungeon approach. I'd say 7 dungeons is good, but I do love A Link Between Worlds.