Legendary Hero: Ryoma, Supreme Samurai

Poimagic

10 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I disagree, Ryoma and Xander are borderline lords in their respective games, they are both very significant. If we got legendary hinoka or camilla I would say that anyone could be a legendary. I'd say that significance is what makes a legendary, I think that we could get a legendary Sothe or a legendary Dheginsea at some point.

9 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. Ryoma and Xander are often considered the “Lord” of Birthright and Conquest, when Corrin doesn’t appear. 

Perhaps. I'm not so sure though. I feel like Xander and Ryoma kind of very loosely fit into the "lord" category. Fates is such a weird exception in a lot of ways. They don't really get the same lord treatment with unique promotions and whatnot. The Fates princes are the only ones to get special "legendary" weapons, so you can at least give them the story importance argument. But even if that is the argument, we could end up with any number of "story important" legendary characters. 

EDIT: Also forgot about Azura. As far as story importance goes, she gets to be in there.

Edited by Rafiel's Aria

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NoirCore said:

Garbage? Stupid? How? Ryoma lacked an alt until now.

Probably because the Rajinto's electricity, and lightning commonly comes alongside storms of rain. Wind could also fit, perhaps, but water's not too far off the mark compared to fire or earth.

I recall bruce lee talking about being flexible like water, I can see a samurai taking a similar stance on fighting style.

Flying Lobster is pretty cool, but outside of the free pull I'd be skipping on this one. Only units I don't have are Ryoma and Robin, so I don't want to pull on those odds. Mayyyyybe the reds and colorless on the first session, but that's it.

Just now, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Hey Altaria is a free and expressive individual bird with Dragon Dance!

I like Altaria! I shove it in your face. And other people's faces. Because it's cute.

But in all seriousness, I wonder if Ryoma's meant to be an EP unit with kestrel stance.

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Just another random-ass bird because the localization team fucked up the dual Blow names so badly.

Kestrels are relatives of falcons, so at least they're more intimidating than sparrows.

Just curious, how would you translate Swift Sparrow?  I tried, and it's a mess.

Yay Ryoma has an alt now! Didn't expect him to be the legendary hero, but he is pretty cool.

I have W!Robin, Y!Tiki, Fjorm and Gunnthra, so overall it would be pretty likely for me to pull a character I need.

High priority: Grima, Hardin, Ryoma, and Chrom.

I need to be careful with this banner since I know for sure there are going to be units on the next legendary banner that I 100% want.

From what I can gather, Ryoma will definitely be a strong and speedy Sword flier, given his original nature as well as the presence of Kestrel Stance. Given the nature of the Kinshi Knights in Fates, there is no way his Defensive ability will be redeemable.

Bushido being a B skill is a given I suppose, but it still conflicts with Quick Riposte, which is a Seal, but for me personally my Brave Ike owns that seal, so Kestrel Stance better make a good amount of difference. Also this definitely means we aren't getting a Special Damage +10 seal...

Bushido being a perma Wo Dao means that it stacks with Wo Dao, which I guess is weaker than if you simply stacked Wo Dao with Wrath, but that means Ryoma will have +20 special damage ALL the time.

Is Ryoma supposed to be an Earth hero? I completely forgot that he's supposed to have an element, what with all the lightning. I like his Finishing Blow animation though.

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

But in all seriousness, I wonder if Ryoma's meant to be an EP unit with kestrel stance.

Given how DC swords are enemy-phase weapons, and how Vanguard Ike came with the Warding Breath skill, I'd say it's a safe assumption.

These days, a person can't just have a skill for the sake of having a skill...

Edited by Xenomata

1 minute ago, mcsilas said:

also for people who really need Cancel Affinity, then the colourless pool is pretty nice for that niche. Both Girlma and Innes being there

Meh.

Even when I got a random Innes the other day, my first thought was never "Oh boy, who should I give Cancel Affinity to?!", but rather "Oh boy, merge fodder!". RavenAdepts just aren't a threat...

Bushido seems really underwhelming when Wrath exists. Hopefully the calculator will prove me wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Ahhh... well I can kiss my orbs goodvye again. Here's to hoping the banner actually gives me what I want and doesn't hand me a bunch of Y!Tikis and Sigurds. Although I only have Sigurd with crap IVs and could always use Tiki merges. Just please give me Ryouma first.

They are certainly giving Hoshido some love now. Hopefully this isn't to mollify us for when they release a "Tanabata" banner featuring Leo and Elise with whatever spare Hoshidan they can find. 

Well, I'll be pulling, but not beyond the first 5-Star or so. Legendary Ryoma excites me about as much as Legendary Raigh would have, and I already have Sigurd, so if I have to pull Red I'll hope for Young!Tiki. Blue has Hardin and Santa Robin, and I want them, and a second Fjorm wouldn't be terrible either even if I'm not sure what I'd do with her. Green has Chrom, who would've been cool before Ares came along with his Brazen at 4-Star (hopefully I'll pull one sooner or later... maybe I'll hope for him along with Young!Tiki if I pull Red), Airzura, who I already have, and Gunnthra who has made a remarkable recovery from her storyline death, so I'm not particularly looking to pull this color. Colorless is pretty cool for me, having Dagger Takumi, who I wouldn't mind getting, Innes, who I have but wouldn't mind a dupe of, and Female Grima, who I really want, so I want this color to show up with 5-Stars like it did last time (though preferably I could get a Grima, since Genny isn't on this one). So, Blue=Colorless>Green>Red for me.

Next month's basically guaranteed to get Normal Tharja, Bold Lissa and maybe NYCamilla now, so I'll be pooling Orbs for that one.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Bushido seems really underwhelming when Wrath exists. Hopefully the calculator will prove me wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Wait, can flying units get Wrath? I thought that was Infantry/Armor only?

3 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Is Ryoma supposed to be an Earth hero? I completely forgot that he's supposed to have an element, what with all the lightning. I like his Finishing Blow animation though.

He’s a Water Hero. I think the most plausible reason is because the Water element plays a large role in Fates, based on what a user said here.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

Not like L!Ryoma can use wrath in the first place

2 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Hopefully this isn't to mollify us for when they release a "Tanabata" banner featuring Leo and Elise with whatever spare Hoshidan they can find. 

So somebody with wish tags, maybe somebody with those little sugar candies that look like stars, and a couple to play Altair and Vega (well whatever they're called in Japan).

Don't know that much about Tanabata traditions.

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

He’s a Water Hero. I think the most plausible reason is because the Water element plays a large role in Fates, based on what a user said here.

Just call him Susano-o, Japanese god of storms in general. 

21 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

And I’m suprised he’s Water of all things. Wonder why. Every other Legendary Hero’s element had an explanation.

Maybe there's a connection with Fates's dragons, the Rainbow Sage, and possibly Ryoma's birthday? Hoshido royalty is connected to the Dawn Dragon or Hikariryu which apparently means "Light Dragon". We don't have legendary heroes of light, but light is sometimes connected with water if you go with the whole light magic, holy magic, and healing magic in some stuff. The Rainbow Sage created Raijinto which is imbued with lightning powers and as already pointed out, lightning comes alongside storms. Raijin is also the Shinto god of thunder, lightning, and storms, so lightning and water. Maybe a bit of wind, but that's more of Fujin's thing. Rainbows are associated with rain and storms. Ryoma's birthday is in May which if you go back to the overseas version of Blazing Blade, is one of the months that gives a wind affinity for the tactician. If you went with that, he should have been a legendary hero of wind, but if given his association with Raijinto, wind and lightning would come from storms, rain and water.

Otherwise, they might have just wanted him to be a legendary hero of water because why not.

...I am very concerned about the fact I'd rather get a launch hero than the shiny new Legendary, but I've got my eye on that Tiki. Perfectly willing to wait on a New Power banner with her, at least- Legendary banners are now completely redundant.

Oh yeah, I'm also someone who already has Sigurd and Young Tiki, and I only really want Ryoma. I've gotten multiple Sigurds, in fact. And my only Young Tiki has good IVs. So I don't really need more of her either. I'd rather have another Young Tiki than Sigurd if I had to choose though. But I just want Ryoma and then I can look for NY Azura too...

As a legendary though, I thought Ryoma would be fire. Lightning is a form of heat and can also be called a form of fire. The guy wearing a lot of red fits here too.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm here hoping that Mist Breath's base effect is dragon effectiveness and its unique refine is Distant Counter.

Great Flame managed to avoid needing Distant Counter because Myrrh can't run Steady Breath or Warding Breath in her A slot, leaving it free for Distant Counter. However, Tiki can run Steady Breath and Warding Breath, so for Mist Breath to be a viable alternative to Lightning Breath, it absolutely needs to either be absurdly powerful (which it won't be) or have at least one of Distant Counter, Steady Breath, or Warding Breath built in.

And now I realize I'm far more excited about Tiki than Ryoma.

Assuming Ryoma's stat line is similar to vanilla Ryoma's, it looks like he wants to be a mixed-phase unit running something like

Raijinto
Moonbow
Swift Sparrow 2 / Raptor Kestrel Stance 2 / Fury 3
Bushido
Quick Riposte 3

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Just curious, how would you translate Swift Sparrow?  I tried, and it's a mess.

The main problem is that all of the Blow skills in Japanese are simple compounds of the single-stat base skills.

Death Blow is "Fierce Deity Blow", and Darting Blow is "Flying Swallow Blow", so Swift Sparrow is "Fierce Deity Flying Swallow Blow". Which works really well in Japanese because "Fierce Deity" and "Flying Swallow" are only two characters each, but works horribly in English because English is wide.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

The main problem is that all of the Blow skills in Japanese are simple compounds of the single-stat base skills.

Death Blow is "Fierce Deity Blow", and Darting Blow is "Flying Swallow Blow", so Swift Sparrow is "Fierce Deity Flying Swallow Blow". Which works really well in Japanese because "Fierce Deity" and "Flying Swallow" are only two characters each, but works horribly in English because English is wide.

That. . .uh, would be rather messy.  The various single-stat -blow skills are directly ported from Fates.  The literal translation would cause English-speaking people to scratch their heads, and Death-Darting Blow just sounds weird.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'd go with "Fierce Blow" instead of Death, "Swallow Blow" instead of Darting/Swift, and "Falcon Blow" instead of Sparrow/Kestrel.