Legendary Hero: Ryoma, Supreme Samurai

Poimagic

I was initially saving up my orbs for this banner, but it doesn't have anyone that I'll go crazy for.

Legendary Ryoma is cool and a part of me wants to get him because the original Ryoma helped me immensely. Also, he'll make a great replacement for Palla on my "Daily Flying Tower Farm," consisting of Michalis, Spring!Camilla, Clair, and Palla. // As for the others, the only ones I'm interested in are Fallen!Hardin, NY!Azura, Christmas!Chrom, and Female Grima. Fjorm and Gunnthra would like merges and maybe a better nature.

Maybe I'll toss in some orbs to try and get a 5* and then start saving up again, or I'll try one of the other banners.

Edited by Sire

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wait, where are people getting his stats already? There couldn't be a datamine or anything yet, could there?

The battle against Xander in the trailer. If you assume Xander is a level-40 5-star, you can get Ryoma's HP, Atk, and Def stats easily, have a lower bound on his Spd, and guess his Res from the number of stat points he has left over.

I don't think he's bad by any means I guess I was selling him short since I couldn't pin down his purpose initially outside of raijinto's built in distant counter, you guys are right though with flier buffs, his high speed coupled with good atk power, and the support fliers like camilla and hinoka can provide he's definitely going to be a dangerous force regardless of what phase he's built to operate on.

Edited by MisfitMiju

45 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, I'm also someone who already has Sigurd and Young Tiki, and I only really want Ryoma. I've gotten multiple Sigurds, in fact. And my only Young Tiki has good IVs. So I don't really need more of her either. I'd rather have another Young Tiki than Sigurd if I had to choose though. But I just want Ryoma and then I can look for NY Azura too...

As a legendary though, I thought Ryoma would be fire. Lightning is a form of heat and can also be called a form of fire. The guy wearing a lot of red fits here too.

When I think of thunder, my first thought goes to thunderstorms and rain, not thunder striking trees and causing fires. I also think wind is more arguable than fire since storms are windy.

Ryoma looks interesting, but I’m not too fussed about him personally, so I won’t try to get him.

I'll be going for Blue and Colorless, as I could have use for all Takumi.

Also I’m so hyped for Tiki’s new breath, as she’s been part of my core for a while now.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

The battle against Xander in the trailer. If you assume Xander is a level-40 5-star, you can get Ryoma's HP, Atk, and Def stats easily, have a lower bound on his Spd, and guess his Res from the number of stat points he has left over.

Oh. Huh, interesting. I mean, I knew the HP part was obvious, but not the rest.

Oh hey, it's Ryoma. Don't particularly like him myself, but at least it means all of the Fates royals have ar least one alt.

Young Tiki gets a new breath? Hell yeah!

There's quite a few units I want here: Hardin, Sigurd, Winter Chrom, Winter Robin, NY Azura...

But I still need Bride Caeda and normal Sanaki...

Oh gosh, decisions, decisions...

I feel weird.. Ryoma is cool and everything... but... the thing that actually hyped me was Tiki's weapon.

23 minutes ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

Reposition, his tance, and Buffs from a refined Camilla's Axe and Goad Fliers would give most enemies pause from attacking him. 

I'm just surprised he has low defense. Kinshi and pegasi are probably not durable creatures compared to wyverns and griffons, but Ryoma strikes me as someone who'd have average defense as a frontliner sort of guy.

19 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Legendary Ryoma has high speed likely, and with Fortify/Hone buffs he likely will almost never get doubled and have okay defense.  Coupled with a DC weapon and good attack, I think someone calculated 34 so 50 with his weapon, 56 with Hone buff he is going to do something no other red flier can do.  I don't know what people expect, he seems outstanding.

I forgot to mention it in my post, but if he has low resistance or his regular self's resistance, 21 resistance, then he'd have around 44 points remaining for speed. Mia currently has the highest base speed at 40 and the current sword flier with the highest overall offenses is Elincia with 34/36 neutral offenses like Tana while the fastest is Caeda with 25/37 offenses. +Atk Ryoma would have 37/44 offenses which you could easily pair with Firesweep Sword+ (15 Mt) for some nasty shenanigans. L&D3 would give him 57/49 total offenses with Firesweep Sword+. If you can safely get him down to <= 80% HP, then Brazen Atk/Spd would give him 59/51 total offenses. He'd double anyone with < 46 speed. Oh, and have fun getting him to +10 if he had that speed. 48 base neutral or 51 +Spd.

So, if we go with regular Ryoma's speed, 35, then SSJ3 Ryoma should have 41 HP, 34 Atk, 35 Spd, 22 Def, and ~30 Res (~162 BST). If we go with regular Ryoma's resistance, 21, then SSJ3 Ryoma will have 41 HP, 34 Atk, ~44 Spd, 22 Def, and 21 Res (~162 BST).

Edited by Kaden

Welp, I sure was wrong about who it would be. Neat that all the Fates siblings have an alt. now. A lot of my friends seemed to be upset by Ryoma's reveal, but I've just been left sorta confused. I mean, a Red Water hero from Fates sounds like a perfect descriptor for Corrin, so it just seems a bit weird to me that they went with Ryoma over the main Lord of the game. And that Ryoma's deviating from his canon class, something the Legendaries haven't really done. Oh well. Really all it does for me in the long run is make predicting future Legendaries more difficult.

Anyway, I do like Ryoma, at least more than his Nohrian counterpart, but not enough to try pulling for him. As for the other units, there's plenty I don't have yet, but none that I'm particularly desperate for. Tiki's a little tempting, what with her being one of the few launch units I don't have, but she'll probably show up on the next New Power banner, so I'm all good on that front if I decide to try for her. So overall, this seems like a banner I can skip. Which is great, because I was pretty much drained after the last Legendary Banner and failing to get Ishtar, and I've been having to resist the Brides so my orb stockpile can rebuild.

Good luck to any of you guys pulling, I'll be cheering for you from the sidelines.

7 minutes ago, Troykv said:

I feel weird.. Ryoma is cool and everything... but... the thing that actually hyped me was Tiki's weapon.

My sentiments exactly.  Lewyn is my favorite character, but Tiki may be my 2nd favorite.  She made such an impression in the Marth games, and manakete if my favorite class from the main games.

I'm so glad this was revealed in the trailer, I can save my dew and wait for the announcement.  

6 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I'm just surprised he has low defense. Kinshi and pegasi are probably not durable creatures compared to wyverns and griffons, but Ryoma strikes me as someone who'd have average defense as a frontliner sort of guy.

Kinishi Hinoka has only 150 BST while her original form had 157 BST. Given that she is the only other Kinshi in the game so far,  it is likely he could have reduced BST.

Original Ryoma only had 27 DEF anyway, so his defense was not that stellar to begin with.

So weird. 

It's cool that Ryoma finally has an alt but for some reason it's odd to me that he got a kinshi. And he makes more sense as a wind legendary what with his sword being imbued with lightning and all. 

Everything about this makes for the strangest legendary yet. I'm mainly interested in NY Azura and depending how that goes I may try for Ryoma too.

2 minutes ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

Kinishi Hinoka has only 150 BST while her original form had 157 BST. Given that she is the only other Kinshi in the game so far,  it is likely he could have reduced BST.

Original Ryoma only had 27 DEF anyway, so his defense was not that stellar to begin with.

But Kinoka is a ranged unit and those typically have a lower BST.

I just realized I never commented on what I wanted to pull.

I'll definitely be pulling red for Ryoma, and both Tiki and Sigurd are welcome to show up since I might need to fish for natures on Tiki with Mist Breath coming, and I can always use some more merge fodder for Sigurd.

I'm also definitely pulling green because Gunnthra still hates me. I don't care too much about Chrom because he no longer has any skills that matter, but I can always use more merges for Azura.

I could always use more copies of Hardin, Robin, and Takumi (and one more copy of Innes), but they aren't high enough of a priority for me to care to pull for them, and I already have enough copies of Fjorm and Grima.

2 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

When I think of thunder, my first thought goes to thunderstorms and rain, not thunder striking trees and causing fires. I also think wind is more arguable than fire since storms are windy.

Lightning itself is closely related to plasma. A voltage difference causes air (an insulator) to break down into plasma (a conductor), and when a path of ionized air (plasma) connects the two sides, you get the electrical discharge called lightning. (Same deal with static electricity.) Of the four classical Western elements, plasma is associated with fire.

There's also the fact that lightning itself is hot (for the same reason that electronics heat up when powered).

1 minute ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

That's not how stats work.

Kinshi Hinoka has reduced stats because she's a ranged unit.

Legendary Ryoma is a Gen 2 melee flier, meaning he'll have about a 161-162 stat total.

1 minute ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

Except Kinshi Hinoka is a ranged flyer, while regular Hinoka is a melee flyer. Ranged units have lower BST, so that's why Kinshinoka has a lower BST compared to regular Hinoka. Ryoma's a flyer, yes, but he's a melee flyer, so he'll probably have regular melee-flyer BST.

2 minutes ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

Ranged BST penalty, nothing to do with move type since fliers and infantry have the same basic BST. Ryoma should have standard gen 2 melee BST.

14 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I forgot to mention it in my post, but if he has low resistance or his regular self's resistance, 21 resistance, then he'd have around 44 points remaining for speed. Mia currently has the highest base speed at 40 and the current sword flier with the highest overall offenses is Elincia with 34/36 neutral offenses like Tana while the fastest is Caeda with 25/37 offenses. +Atk Ryoma would have 37/44 offenses which you could easily pair with Firesweep Sword+ (15 Mt) for some nasty shenanigans. L&D3 would give him 57/49 total offenses with Firesweep Sword+. If you can safely get him down to <= 80% HP, then Brazen Atk/Spd would give him 59/51 total offenses. He'd double anyone with < 46 speed. Oh, and have fun getting him to +10 if he had that speed. 48 base neutral or 51 +Spd.

So, if we go with regular Ryoma's speed, 35, then SSJ3 Ryoma should have 41 HP, 34 Atk, 35 Spd, 22 Def, and ~30 Res (~162 BST). If we go with regular Ryoma's resistance, 21, then SSJ3 Ryoma will have 41 HP, 34 Atk, ~44 Spd, 22 Def, and 21 Res (~162 BST).

We'll know his exact stats tomorrow, but from what people have gathered from the battle footage he looks to be impressive.  His weapon and A skill seem built enemy phase, plus the A skill would suggest he doesn't have something as insane as 44 or close.  Likely something good like 35 or 36 (they like that 34atk/36spd spread a lot), and then high res.  So yeah the second option you suggested seems more likely.  

Also for people complaining about how Bushido is worse than wrath.  Well flier units can't inherit wrath.  Wrath is infantry/armor only.  So you can't really compare them, cause wrath isn't an option.  For fliers, it is a very powerful B skill without anything similar.

Oooh Finally Hoshidan Love! The base kit seems kind and of underwhelming, though. At least it’s not inferior to regular Ryoma. I’ll be pulling on Red because I don’t mind being pity broken by anyone. Then colorless because I want to complete by New Years Collection, and then green because I want W!Chrom. But since Lissa is probably going to be on the next banner, green will be last priority.

46 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Based on the damage numbers for the battle against Xander, Ryoma probably has decent Res (because his Def is rather low, and he doesn't have enough points of stats elsewhere).

You also can't give him Steady Breath or Warding Breath because he flies.

He can run a powerful player-phase build by replacing Raijinto with Wo Dao+ [Spd / Def] or keep Raijinto to run a mixed-phase or enemy-phase build. Having access to flier buffs also helps a good amount compared to infantry Ryoma.

Oh right, it's stances that have no restrictions. And yeah Wo Dao is certainly option, though I always found replacing Legendary weapon bit counterintuitive.

What about Slaying Edge?

I kind of want Ryoma to show up with 44 speed now just because of how stupid it would be. It would be incredibly obnoxious, though, since nobody would be able to double him without Bold Fighter, Swordbreaker, Quick Riposte, Vengeful Fighter, or being Arden with Follow-up Ring. If he's running Firesweep Sword or Watersweep or Windsweep, then QR and VF wouldn't work for baiting him.

27 minutes ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

Kinshi Hinoka has only 150 BST while her original form had 157 BST. Given that she is the only other Kinshi in the game so far,  it is likely he could have reduced BST.

Aside from what others already pointed out, what I'm saying is that Ryoma, as someone who seems like he'd be in the thick of things, be he on foot or on a kinshi, I figured he'd have decent defense and that him being on kinshi wouldn't have dropped his defense that low even if we went with the different stat caps of classes. In Fates, the difference between the defense cap of falcon knights and incidentally with swordmaster with kinshi knights is -2 defense for kinshi knights; falcon knights and swordmasters cap at 27 defense while kinshi knights cap at 25. This is also before the personal stat modifiers of each character like Subaki has a +3 defense modifier.

So, some character alts have similar stats to their regular selves while some alts are very different like Tharja's bride alt is basically herself while winter Tharja is a tank. With kinshi knight Ryoma, it seems like he swapped his defenses, going from average defense to low defense and low resistance to possibly high resistance. This is similar to regular Takumi and New Year's Takumi or regular Hinoka and kinsHinoka, but the difference is that Ryoma's a melee unit and 22 base defense seems kind of rough at least without monstrous HP like Legion and Lon'qu, but if he has high resistance like Lloyd, then it'd be fine. Still strange, though, for me.

18 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

We'll know his exact stats tomorrow, but from what people have gathered from the battle footage he looks to be impressive.  His weapon and A skill seem built enemy phase, plus the A skill would suggest he doesn't have something as insane as 44 or close.  Likely something good like 35 or 36 (they like that 34atk/36spd spread a lot), and then high res.  So yeah the second option you suggested seems more likely. 

They're two extremes of what his stats could be. A middle ground would be something like 37-38 speed and 27-28 resistance. He'd have high, but not stupidly high speed and respectable resistance. Something like 40 speed and 25 resistance is still possible, though, making him a flying Mia with +3 HP, +3 Atk, and -6 Def in base stats.

Edited by Kaden

I am not sure but... meh... I liked that Ryoma got a alt but I am not impressed by his skills. I am a little disappointed with both Ryoma and others units.Tiki having a new weapon surprised more than the  main hero of the banner, which it's a sign of there is something wrong. 

31 minutes ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

You might want to read this article on stat growths from Gamepedia to have a better understanding of how much stats are given and how they are distributed.

19 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Ranged BST penalty, nothing to do with move type since fliers and infantry have the same basic BST. Ryoma should have standard gen 2 melee BST.

Fliers and infantry have a slight BST difference on generation 2 units. Melee fliers have +0 to base and +2 to growth points, while melee infantry have +1 to base and +2 to growth points.

43 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I love Res dumping. This is exactly what happened to me while trying to design the statline of a character who, lore-wise, intentionally forsook her own defences because she could just dodge everything. Her Heroes statline wound up Res-dumping because I couldn't make her too fast.