In what order should I play FE4 and FE5?

Icelerate

I'm thinking of playing FE4 gen 1, then FE5, then FE4 gen 2. Does this sound like a good idea or would the story be more enjoyable if I play FE4 in totality first? Or is FE5 better to start with due to its small scale allowing me to get used to the world of Jugdral on a smaller scale before things get too convoluted in FE4? 

I played FE5 first because its gameplay comes close to Tellius's with a few special as unique mechanics. You need a guide to beat it anyways to prevent any bad surprises. 
FE4 is a unique FE game in terms of gameplay in many regards. 

Storywise they're connected, but not as deeply connected as the Tellius games.

FE5 appealed me more simply because of its interesting gameplay, so I decided to play it first and did not regret it.

Edited by Tear

I'll agree with the people who are saying Genealogy in full then Thracia. As someone who played Thracia after chapter 6 of Genealogy, I don't think there was much of a benefit and it ended up talking about a year to get it finished (With one chapter holding me back for months) so I could got back to Genealogy.

TLDR: Don't get as stuck as I did.

Genealogy all the way first, definitely.  It was simply meant to be played that way.  You'll break up the pace of Genealogy if you stop to play through a different game like that.

I played FE5 first, mostly because I was afraid if I did FE4 I would give up partway through.

Storywise, it doesn't really spoil that much (one side plot from chapter 5 of FE4?) You could even assume it was using a FE7 type setup with the evil empire, since there is not much hint in FE5 that they were ever not in power, and FE5 also never pans out to show you the map beyond the Thracia sub-area. 

I also feel that FE5 is relatively light on story, and can't spoil you for that reason. The majority of charathers in FE5 are original to it as well, and the charathers returning from FE4  only have 4~ish lines of dialouge. 

FE5 is closer to modern FE in some ways - it has 2 speed advantage doubling, rescue and drop commands, trading, and so on.

In FE4 you would have to adjust to the lack or dumber implementation of all of these staples. 

So in summary - FE5 doesn't spoil much, other than a side plot, and "why there's an evil empire present" but the latter isn't really a spoiler when you probbably assumed that anyway because it's fire emblem. It's much more interesting to play due to it's map design and also more intuitive due to it's mechaical heritage being in modern games.