E3 2018 Schedule/Discussion/Hype Thread

Coming up in less than two weeks is the most wonderful time of the year. Here's the E3 2018 press conference schedule:

Devolver Digital also plans its conference for June 10th at 8:00 PM PST. It will be both self-congratulatory, consumer unfriendly, and the best show overall. Here's a Twitch Link. The PC Gaming Show is also on June 11th at 3PM PST. There's you're warning if you leave the stream running too long accidentally. Nintendo's Treehouse will be streaming for three days, starting immediately after their video presentation. The Splatoon Championship begins a day before that and will have its finals streamed at 1 PM on June 12. Following that will be the entirety of the Smash Bros. Tournament.

What are you excited for at this year's E3? I'm definitely curious about Square Enix returning to E3 for the first time in three years. As well as finding out what's up with Ghosts of Tsushima and that new Fallout 76 game. Something tells me this is going to be a big year that has something for everybody. I feel like we got a mini E3 in the last few days. New Pokemon, a Mega Man 11 trailer, new Fallout game, Sonic racing. Now if you don't mind me I'm just going to drum up some final bets...

Spoiler
  • Episode 1 of Final Fantasy 7 Remake will release in what year? We don't know. We'll get a cinematic trailer but no release date.
  • Will either a new Xbox or new Playstation system be announced or teased? No.
  • Is Death Stranding going to have gameplay or just be another short film? Short film. I'm expecting them to eventually announce this is going to be an animated film that maybe has a tie-in video game.
  • How many QTEs will appear during the Spider Man segment of Sony's Conference? Two.
  • How many Wii U Port/Remaster/Sequels in Nintendo's Presentation? Exactly One. Super Mario Maker.
  • Will Nintendo's Presentation start or end with Smash? Both. It starts with an overview and ends with a surprise (Shink!) character reveal. 
  • Who are the finalists at the Smash tournament? Assuming they're on opposite sides of the bracket, Armada vs Zero.
  • How many deaths at Devolver Digital? At least one hundred confirmed kills. The audience better be ready to spill blood.
  • Who's the developer cameo at Devolver Digital? Hideo Kojima.
  • Will any non nintendo conference announce a game coming to switch? Sure, I'm willing to bet a switch port of a Bethesda title is mentioned at their conference
  • Conference that has the most liberal use of the word "experience"? Microsoft.

Edited by Glennstavos

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am mostly interested in what Platinum games and Atlus show more then anything since Bayonetta 3 and SMT V are two of my most wanted games right now.  If Nintendo also shows off FE 16 then I will be happy.  I am trying to keep my hopes in check so that I can be happy with what is shown.  

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I want to see EA say that they have learned from their mistakes from lootboxes in the conference, those lizard men. Later explain do the next nickel and dime scheme for players.

EA owning up to stuff would be nice, but they won't they'll embarass themselves like every other E3.

How far back do you think they'll be pushing KH3 this time?

Honestly, I'm just hoping we get Prime 4 intel, because the Metroid fans will lose it if we don't. Also Fusion remake when?

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

EA owning up to stuff would be nice, but they won't they'll embarass themselves like every other E3.

This pretty much. I don´t have any faith in EA.

Personally hoping for Yoshi and Fire Emblem :D

Wild Card: FFXVI gets announced

Anyway, I hope to see something from Psychonauts 2. I backed the game, and I've been keeping up with the dev diaries, but those have gone a bit silent in the last few months, and last time they showed anything, they had a playable alpha of some of the new hub area. We have yet to see a fully put together gameplay area, and we haven't seen any of the levels in the game. So I'm hoping that gets showcased at some point, since it's scheduled to get released within the next year or so.

Edited by Slumber

I'll probably stick straight to Nintendo for the entirety of E3, picking up scraps of the other presentations through gaming news and word of mouth. I enjoy watching the Nintendo Treehouse streams as well as reading whatever comes up on the Twitch chat.

I don't keep up with the current gaming trends and things outside of Nintendo, so I don't have much stuff to be hyped about for. I guess my only wish this E3 is to see something of Fire Emblem Switch, even if it is just a cinematic trailer. The rest of my enjoyment will come from what happens when it happens.

I'll be happy if there's an announcement on the upcoming FFXV DLC.  Four new character episodes, and I'm excited for all of them!

EA: They killed Bioware. nuff said.

Bethesda: Fallout 76 ends up being a loot driven survival multiplayer RPG. meh.

Square Enix: Whatever happened to the FF VII remake? 

Microsoft/Sony: They will probably show some cool stuff like last year. 

Nintendo: I hope they show some gameplay for Fire Emblem Switch

Ubisoft: I've lost faith in them. 

Looking forward to seeing what CD Projekt Red has done so far for Cyberpunk 2076

I have a suspicion that Sony might be a bit disappointing this E3. They are so dominant that they don't exactly have to try very hard anymore. Still, I hope its going to be good. If they insist on holding their press conference at 3 in the morning than they kinda have an obligation to do well. 

Microsoft will probably slightly surpass expectations but those expectations are already quite low. I think they will hold a solid press conference and anounce some cool games but don't really show enough to fix their exclusive problem. 

I really want Nintendo to go show Fire Emblem already. Though recently there's been a leak of their line up which would be extremely disappointing if true. Basically only third party stuff that's already out on other platforms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoQKJAypZek
Also I'm still waiting for that Kid Icarus sequel. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Unfortunately I think that has as much of a chance as we have at seeing F-Zero, KIU felt very much like a one shot deal, but who knows someone besides Sakurai might eventually be interested in trying their hands at it.

I'm mostly excited for the Nintendo one obviously. I'm expecting smash news of course, that's like guaranteed, FE switch needs to be revealed if it's coming out this year, I'll probably expect Metroid Prime 4 to be talked about, but that's about all I have for revealed stuff. Maybe a trailer for Xenoblade 2's story dlc akin to BotW's Champions Ballad trailer. As for new stuff I want TMS#FEswitch port, a new Kid Icarus, a New Golden Sun, and that's about it for my expectations. I've learned hoping for a new Kid Icarus and Golden Sun is usually the most I can hope for. Also don't know if it will be at Square Enix or Nintendo but probably will talk a little about Octopath Traveler

I love how we have a hype train about a hype train festival.

Oh boy, I can't wait to read and hear all the disappointment this year!

Though really, I just want to hear more about FE, Metroid, and Fallout 76.  The former two for obvious reasons, and 76 because I just want some confirmation as to whether it's going to actually be some Rust clone or some other cookie-cutter PvP type of game like people seem to believe or not.  If it is, then it's gonna be pretty much the only Fallout game aside from Shelter that I haven't gotten (I am not too big on mobile games, and I strongly dislike PvP multiplayer).

Maybe I want to hear about Smash a little, but honestly now that I don't really have actual friends who play that kind of stuff regularly with me, I kind of am not particularly looking forward to the game like I am some others.  Oh, and if we hear more about Valkyria Chronicles 4 at E3, that'd be a pleasant surprise, though extremely doubtful.  Also Red Dead Redemption 2 would be nice to hear about.

Not gonna hold my breath on anything, though.  I just want to hear about all the major flops and laugh about all the gullible people who let themselves get disappointed by EA once again being a corporate shill or Bethesda spending all their resources on creating Skyrim: Calculator edition.  I actually wouldn't be surprised if they somehow managed that.  Oh, and all the awkward devs on stage.  Most companies take themselves way too seriously at E3, and I just love all the hammyness that results.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Though recently there's been a leak of their line up which would be extremely disappointing if true. Basically only third party stuff that's already out on other platforms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoQKJAypZek

Guaranteed best way for Nintendo to disappoint their fans.

Though leaks are always a matter of grains of salt; just a pinch is all you should take of them.  Especially long shots like this rumor.

43 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Guaranteed best way for Nintendo to disappoint their fans.

Though leaks are always a matter of grains of salt; just a pinch is all you should take of them.  Especially long shots like this rumor.

Yeah I really doubt they'd do this.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I really want Nintendo to go show Fire Emblem already. Though recently there's been a leak of their line up which would be extremely disappointing if true. Basically only third party stuff that's already out on other platforms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoQKJAypZek

E3 demo booth leaks and rumors happen every year. But even when true they don't express all the things that appear at E3. Because not every game in the video presentation or Treehouse gets a playable demo. Furthermore, a lot of games don't make for a good demo at something like E3 where everybody's got a few minutes to play the game and several people have never experienced that franchise or even genre in their lives. Yes even game journalists fall into that boat.

Take Fire Emblem Switch for instance. Awful demo game. You have to read text to know what the story is, you gotta tell the player how to move their units, what the weapon triangle is, what permadeath is, why your fliers are important and to stay away from archers. Any RPG is in the same boat. These games just don't demo well at in-person events where the experience level of the player ranges from 0 to 10. Even that KH demo youtubers were trying out last week was heavily tweaked for the player who just wants to button mash and perform cinematic moves with a single button press. And that was a 90 minute demo. My guess for FE Switch is an eshop demo will drop a few weeks before release like with Awakening and Fates. 

I'm in the "focus on Nintendo's conference" boat, also hoping for some KH3 news from Square. On the Nintendo side of things; I, like the rest of us, am hoping to see some FE Switch. Then I personally hope that right after that they go "We've got even more Fire Emblem on the way. Please take a look.", then proceed to show a trailer for BB or GotHW remake. It's such a real possibility, my mind just bursts with excitement. I know I shouldn't be hyping myself up like that, but I simply cannot help myself. Even if I'm disappointed on that front, at least Smash won't disappoint. I'm also partially hoping for more FE amiibo figures (I'm surprised Lyn hasn't gotten one at this point), but at the same time I'm not sure I want there to be more yet because they're such a prime target for scalpers. And I'm only missing 3 of the current 11 FE amiibo.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I hope so too but gamexplain is reasonably credible. 

I like GameXplain as much as the next guy, but rumors are still rumors no matter who's discussing them.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

Always like watching as much as I can, even if I'm never going to get an Xbox One. Though I can't help but think that E3 really is more for shareholders.

I'm absolutely looking forward to news about Fire Emblem Switch, a new Bravely game, a teaser or something about the Nier Automata sequel and something else that I probably forgot to add.

8 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm pretty sure that's just a partial leak, seeing as it's only third-party titles.

47 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Always like watching as much as I can, even if I'm never going to get an Xbox One. Though I can't help but think that E3 really is more for shareholders.

Sometimes I think so too, but then I remembered the wise words of a Jet Moto CD