E3 2018 Schedule/Discussion/Hype Thread

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I felt a bigger pang when Dungeon Keeper Mobile was a thing but I really had little hope for another Red Alert or mainline C&C game by this point

Overall I give the EA conference a grade of a D.

• Sports
  • A different take on WW2 with female front-line soldiers
  • Command & Conquer died for a mobile game.
  • Respawn has been working on their Star Wars game for about 3-4 years now. The only thing they have is an extremely vague description.
  • Plans for cloud gaming, ehhh 

Typical EA

4 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

• Sports
  • Respawn has been working on their Star Wars game for about 3-4 years now. The only thing they have is an extremely vague description.

Typical EA

Honestly I didn't think I'd miss much

11 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

• Sports

Typical EA

I think the inclusion of female soldiers and other customization is for the battle royale mode. They know that mode will be one of their more popular modes and people will want to customize their character. If it were just a typical Battlefield game with normal modes, they would have likely kept it historically accurate. Truthfully, it doesn't bother me much. As long as they don't bill the game as historical and manage the expectations of players who expect a historical experience then they can do whatever.

Of course my degree is in history, and I would hate to see abandoning historical accuracy as a trend, but I think this is purely a decision for their battle royale mode to compete with the customization offered in PUBG and Fortnite.

EA was certainly EA this year. My enjoyment all came from Twitter and my friends on Discord. The only things that didn't stood out bore me were Anthem, Unravel 2, and Sea Solitude.

Anthem looks fine, but it's showing was worse compared to last year. Too much talking, not enough showing.

Unravel 2 looks good, but I am concerned that it came out the day it was announced. That's not good marketing.

Sea of Solitude was the best part of the conference for me. I love the look, the premise is really intriguing, and you could really tell the creator was passionate about the game. A highlight not just because the rest of the presentation was underwhelming, but because it was good on its own merits.

Just now, ChiefStrudel said:

I think the inclusion of female soldiers and other customization is for the battle royale mode. They know that mode will be one of their more popular modes and people will want to customize their character. If it were just a typical Battlefield game with normal modes, they would have likely kept it historically accurate. Truthfully, it doesn't bother me much. As long as they don't bill the game as historical and manage the expectations of players who expect a historical experience then they can do whatever.

Of course my degree is in history, and I would hate to see abandoning historical accuracy as a trend, but I think this is purely a decision for their battle royale mode to compete with the customization offered in PUBG and Fortnite.

Huh, I didn't thought of it that way. I can understand if this is fictional version of WW2 like Wolfenstein, but I feel this will affect the campaign negatively. Where they attempt to portray the story as realistic, despite the main characters killing hundreds of Nazis.

Unravel 2 and SOS look good. Rest was meh. Anthem doesn't excite me at all that much. Also, CaC a mobile game? sigh

24 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

According to a press release, Anthem has no pvp and my destiny playing friends are floored by that.

Good riddance. No P2W multiplayer and lootboxes

Edited by silveraura25

EA Press Conference breakdown: 

Battlefield V multiplayer: We have battle royale mode too! UEFA Champions League: We got this great license from Konami! Origin Premiere: Give us more money, peasants! Star Wars Battlefront 2 update: We know we screwed you guys initially so we'll give you free stuff til we screw you later! Unravel 2: See? we do creative stuff like other companies. Sea of Solitude: We care about indie development, trust us. Sports titles: Here's more rehash of more of the same. Command and Conquer Rivals: See? It's just as good as when Westwood made them and you can play it on your tablet. we rock! Anthem: Let's cut and paste Destiny and Borderlands and make it third person. Noone will notice. 

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are you saying FE may be already dead then!?! ?

FE, like Final Fantasy, Mario and Pokemon, was still alive during mobilization. 

A dead franchise coming back as a mobile game is basically a confirmation that it's never coming back. Ask Breath of Fire and Star Ocean. 

EA butchered Command and Conquer again?! C&C 3 was decent while Red Alert 3 was okay, but C&C 4 killed the franchise. They killed off Westwood, Pandemic, and Bullfrog, and these companies made amazing games... // At least C&C Fans keep stuff alive with things like OpenRA, Twisted Insurrection, Renegade X, and Mental Omega.

As for the rest of EA's conference, I have no real opinion on them. I tend to stay away from EA and their stuff as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

FE, like Final Fantasy, Mario and Pokemon, was still alive during mobilization. 

A dead franchise coming back as a mobile game is basically a confirmation that it's never coming back. Ask Breath of Fire and Star Ocean. 

Star Ocean isn't quite dead because they still port games to PC. Now compare with Castlevania, which after long years of being burried came back with....... an arcade japanese-only ero-game.

Oh right, they announced a new Castlevania mobile game which is basically Harmony of Despair (story and premise are the same), but as far as I know it's never coming back.

On 6/6/2018 at 6:38 PM, Armagon said:

So uh, that leak that said that games like Fortnite and Paladins and DBFZ was coming to Switch? I dismissed that because there was no way Not Overwatch (Paladins) was coming to Switch before Overwatch did. But uh,

https://nintendowire.com/news/2018/06/06/nintendo-uploads-files-for-paladins-to-eshop/

So looks like that leak was real after all.

This is a tiring meme.

The game started development before Overwatch was revealed, using an earlier game from the dev as a base (if anything, Overwatch ripped off that); they share a few similar characters because they're grounded in common archetypes. They're both very much their own thing, with Overwatch being sci-fi and having a bunch of background lore and stuff while Paladins largely shirks lore and has more playable characters in a magitek/steampunk-ish setting (for instance, starting a match/respawning you ride in on a horse until you get shot at/start shooting)-- Paladins has characters like a living tree with a battleaxe, persian/arabian nights themed archer, a humanoid turtle with a lava cannon, a narcissistic Hispaniac knight with a flamethrower... .

TL;DR Paladins' dismissal as an Overwatch clone/ripoff is crass and uninformed.

^lol XD

I made a Nintendo Bingo card!

E32018Bingo.png

I basically have two free spaces though. lol Roller Coaster Tycoon Switch was confirmed some time ago to be in it. XD

20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

^lol XD

I made a Nintendo Bingo card!

E32018Bingo.png

I basically have two free spaces though. lol Roller Coaster Tycoon Switch was confirmed some time ago to be in it. XD

I love this bingo card. I'm a bit confused by the (free) after Smash Bros Switch. Are you insinuating that the game be free? Since preorders for it have already begun some time ago.

I would love for Mario maker on the switch.

1 minute ago, Michelaar said:

I love this bingo card. I'm a bit confused by the (free) after Smash Bros Switch. Are you insinuating that the game be free? Since preorders for it have already begun some time ago.

I think they mean free space.

23 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

21 minutes ago, Chconroy said:

I think they mean free space.

Yeah, this.

And yeah, of all the Wii U to Switch ports we've gotten lately, I'm really surprised Mario Maker hasn't been one of them. Though if they're planning to revive Mario Paint after like 25 years instead, I'm cool with that too. lol

I'm the King of Bingo Cards when it comes to Fire Emblem Heroes, but E3 has always called for high stakes, so instead I make BETS

Microsoft's conference is coming up. And later tonight is Bethesda which I am very interested in. 

EA bored me to tears yesterday. I'm rooting for Microsoft to have a good press conference. The gaming news is dominated by stories about the lack of Xbox exclusives and it would be nice of Microsoft is going to prove them all wrong. It would be pitiable of the lack of exclusives isn't corrected. 

Nier being able to be played by more players is very good news. That game deserves all the attention in the world.