E3 2018 Schedule/Discussion/Hype Thread

16 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It's happening, but could take almost as long as "VSXIII".

Are they still doing the whole episodic thing? Because in that case, it might take even longer.

13 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

First 15, then Kingdom hearts 3  and now the 7 remake. Why is Squire Enix having so much problems creating games? They're looking really inept at their job to me. 

I think Square's problem is that they announce their big flagship titles way too early. Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced in 2013 and it's releasing 6 years later. Final Fantasy 7R was announced in 2014 and we've heard jack shit since. 15 was in development hell for a long ass time and it somehow managed to be incomplete when it was released.

Only Dragon Quest seems to be free from this....i think.

Edited by Armagon

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Are they still doing the whole episodic thing? Because in that case, it might take even longer.

They haven't brought up it all since that first mention, so who knows.

Just now, Jingle Jangle said:

This generation has more studios jump the gun for advertising. 

I'd actually say the opposite for the last few years. Ever since Fallout 4's announcement.

It seems like a lot more devs sit on highly demanded projects for a long time, unless the most recent release was... well, recent.

Square is just... Square, where they'll show off trailers for games where the development hasn't even started.

15 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Pretty much all I've heard is weird intro and people mad about lesbians in a video game. Also apparently Ghosts of Tsushima was not worth the wait? I don't believe that.

It’s the intro that was just weird and the intermission that was really slow. Kinda breaks the hype you know. Plus it’s was just trailers really. It wasn’t good but it wasn’t bad either. It was just...a presentation. Which is worse than bad because at least bad is memorable.

23 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Pretty much all I've heard is weird intro and people mad about lesbians in a video game. Also apparently Ghosts of Tsushima was not worth the wait? I don't believe that.

There was a random banjo concert to open the show, and the lesbian scene was... oddly sexual and detailed, for a franchise as sexless as TLoU. It actually felt weirdly exploitative rather than inclusive and progressive.

More along the lines of "Hehehe look at these two chicks make out", rather than "Watch these two girls who love each other display their love".

The framing of the scene being Ellie wondering who all the guys are looking at between the two girls was also really weird.

It felt like the last TLoU trailer, where a lot of people felt the display of violence was more exploitative than intriguing or meaningful.

Edited by Slumber

Let's not mince words, the opening of Sony was not good. Watching a man play the banjo isn't my E3 expectation and they jumped to people taking too much. Now, once they got into the actual venue and went from game to game, things improved. Plenty of solid looking games, with new stuff for KH 3 and a surprise appearance for RE 2 Remake. Though I think Death Stranding's weirdness is starting to wear out its welcome.

Edited by Chconroy

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'd actually say the opposite for the last few years. Ever since Fallout 4's announcement.

It seems like a lot more devs sit on highly demanded projects for a long time, unless the most recent release was... well, recent.

Square is just... Square, where they'll show off trailers for games where the development hasn't even started.

With games I'm looking forward and other titles such as SMT 5, Persona 5, Breath of the Wild talking years of development, I feel different.

2 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

With games I'm looking forward and other titles such as SMT 5, Persona 5, Breath of the Wild talking years of development, I feel different.

BotW and Persona 5 were both announced well ahead of Fallout 4 proving that a lot people actually like seeing games come out in a reasonable timeframe.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I can't speak for SMT and Persona 5 but with Breath of the Wild released three years after it was announced. It got delayed, sure, but at least we actually saw things from it. E3 2016 was the first true look at the game and it ended up releasing the following year.

It's not necessarily the development time that matters, but rather, the timing of the announcement. Don't go announcing your games 5-10 years before they actually release.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

BotW and Persona 5 were both announced well ahead of Fallout 4 proving that a lot people actually like seeing games come out in a reasonable timeframe.

True, I guess it's mostly a Square Enix issue. I guess I have to wait a while for a Neir 3 announcement. 

20 minutes ago, Modamy said:

I guess that means it'll be amazing.

Also I didn't see Pirates coming back for KH3, but boy am I hyped for it and I might be remembering wrong, but I thought Repliku was with Eraqus in the "straight up dead" club of characters in Kingdom Hearts.

Apparently, it's implied that [Eraqus]'s not dead and found refuge within Terra's heart at his last moment. At least, Xehanort alluded to it in Blank Points of BBS. Can't say anything about Repliku though, as he himself said he was fine with death. Unless..... Riku's last words to him were to be take literally

34 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

First 15, then Kingdom hearts 3  and now the 7 remake. Why is Squire Enix having so much problems creating games? They're looking really inept at their job to me. 

well considering they all share a director I don't think we should be blaming square but more so nomura himself

2 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Apparently, it's implied that [Eraqus]'s not dead and found refuge within Terra's heart at his last moment. At least, Xehanort alluded to it in Blank Points of BBS. Can't say anything about Repliku though, as he himself said he was fine with death. Unless..... Riku's last words to him were to be take literally

Well there's only one obvious way to answer this question. Another KH series marathon playthrough.

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Long dev time seems a stapple of his work. But Squire knows this and still makes him director anyway. 

honestly the only reason I can think of for that being the case is because of the insane success that kh1 was and as far as I can tell most of his games in terms of story anyway have been met with pretty lukewarm reception but what do I know.

Sony's format was jarring but they did show some good games. Last of Us 2 certainly stands out. KH3 is looking outstanding. I wonder what it will look like on the switch considering the hardware in that.

I am also getting the impression Square Enix trolled everyone with the FF VII remake announcement. The episodic action based gameplay didn't do a whole lot to get me interested anyhow. If any of their Final Fantasy ports for PC are any indication, maybe they shouldn't bother at all focusing on it.

If you see Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, or Secret of Mana on PC, avoid them at all costs. They are really bad ports from other systems. Nintendo DS has the best version for Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III is best on VC or emulator, and stick with the original Secret of Mana for Super NES or emulator.

Edited by grinus

32 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

well considering they all share a director I don't think we should be blaming square but more so nomura himself

29 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Long dev time seems a stapple of his work. But Squire knows this and still makes him director anyway. 

I'd say it's less him and more the fact Square keeps giving him multiple projects to manage; juggling acts are never a good thing.

And for what it's worth, he was replaced on FFXV and stepped down a few months ago with 7R. KH3 has had all of one delay and's had a reasonable dev time (it began in earnest in 2015; meanwhile, from E3 2013 he was saying that it was announced way too early).

So I'd say the blame goes back to Square's lap.

Square's unfortunate poor tendencies aside...I gotta say, from watching the Kingdom Hearts trailers again...this game just keeps looking better and better. Particularly Port Royal. It looks really quite realistic. Insanely so. Hell, I'd cite Tia Dalma as the best example. She looks exactly like the movies.

I'm pretty sure warning people for bashing FFXV despite not playing the Royal Edition is mod abuse.  But honestly, play the damn thing before badmouthing it.  I'm in the middle of a playthrough, and the little datalogs were something that should've been around in the base game.

In other news, I see pirate ship combat in KH3.  That world looks really good.  Might take a still frame, show my mom, and see if she thinks it's a video game.

Sony sucked. It was terribly put together and other than KH3, made little effort to appeal to an audience outside the gamers that live off blood and grit. Boring.

I'm confused at the lack of MediEvil anywhere. They very easily could've made that game's full reveal a huge deal and it's entirely missing from the presentation and stream schedule. Spyro's on the floor, at least. 

Anyway, I fear FFXV's bizarre and broken dev cycle and retcon patches will become common in future SE games. The Royal Edition feels complete and is genuinely a great game, but that's what it should have been at launch, and this whole deal of adding new shit and rewriting old shit like a story in editing mode over a year after it's on the shelves is a pretty weirdly twisted gaming experience. It makes it feel like the thing's been in Beta all alomg.

That said, I think SE's complete reset on FFVII may be a good thing since the reactions to the gameplay being action instead of any sort of turn-based system were mixed to negative. I think most of us want something akin to how Spyro and Crash, where it's really just a massive graphical overhaul and the gameplay is fundamentally the same. Also, FFVII's 3 disk based story breaks could help facilitate an episodic format, but there would be salt with selling all three at full price.

KH3 looks absolutely incredible. It actually looks like a game that would take years to develop, both graphically and the sheer amount of modes shown that've been injected between combat. 

I lost a good deal of sleep over my excitement for Nintendo's E3 presentation today.  All the other presentations so far have sounded mostly underwhelming.  Let's hope that Nintendo does well!

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

11 hours ago, Slumber said:

There was a random banjo concert to open the show, and the lesbian scene was... oddly sexual and detailed, for a franchise as sexless as TLoU. It actually felt weirdly exploitative rather than inclusive and progressive.

More along the lines of "Hehehe look at these two chicks make out", rather than "Watch these two girls who love each other display their love".

The framing of the scene being Ellie wondering who all the guys are looking at between the two girls was also really weird.

It felt like the last TLoU trailer, where a lot of people felt the display of violence was more exploitative than intriguing or meaningful.

I can't say I agree, but, to each their own. I mean I can see people having a problem with the violence last time, but in the new one it genuinely felt like a cute moment between one introverted girl and another, pretty assertive one. Nothing more.

... well that's not entirely true. I can see poor Ellie getting her heart broken at some point, be it through having to kill her for some reason, or some form of betrayal. Can't quite put my finger on why; maybe it simply seemed too good to last.

---

Anyway, let's see some Fire Emblem, and hopefully I'm not wrong this time.

Edited by Cysx

Didn't see anything yet, but I'm surprised I didn't hear anything about any "leaks" regarding REmake 2.  Of the original RE trilogy, that's probably my favorite game, so I'm glad we'll finally be able to play a version of it soon that isn't a bunch of fighting polygon teams.

Can't say I'm surprised to hear people bad-talking homosexuality in TLoU 2.  Still disappointed in that, but...

11 hours ago, Slumber said:

It actually felt weirdly exploitative rather than inclusive and progressive.

I could also see it from this perspective.

Which is another reason I always say the best way to support progressiveness in media isn't necessarily to demand inclusion, but to support creative teams with people who understand these positions better (particularly if they are of these underrepresented demographics).  I applaud the effort some heterosexual men put into being inclusive, but... they're still heterosexual men who probably haven't spoken to very many actual lesbians.  And as such, they walk on rather thin ice.

Of course, I haven't seen the scene myself, so I can't really say anything about it in particular.  And I don't know the team behind TLoU too well, so I don't know what their understanding of homosexuality (or even bisexuality) in women is.

13 hours ago, Slumber said:

Sony's press conference is really highlighting something I can't stand about them right now:

They REALLY can't stop patting themselves on the back. Every time they talk, they come off as incredibly masturbatory. We're 25 minutes in, and we've had a dude play banjo, a 10 minute showcase of TLoU 2 and a 30 second AD(Not trailer) for Blops 3.

OMFG THIS COMMENT EXACTLY. I'm so disappointed just for that load of steaming hot crap i'm not going to buy the ps4 till 2019. I was going to do it with probably my next check or so but i'm super uber disappointed. I'm glad others feel the same. That their showcase was weird, boring, and devoid of any sain person's planning to entertain the crowd. if it was the type that bought tickets and attended those events i would have gotten up and left after the first 5 minutes of them playing music and/or the first 5 minutes of them just demo-ing a game for me. 

Alright everyone! One more hour and we get nintendo!!! Lets hope for fire emblem, smash, pokemon, and A BRAND NEW SOLO GAME FEATURING LUIGI!!!!! Luigi's mansion wasn't enough. I need more of his solo adventures. Mario is over-rated. That mean green fighting machine is clearly what helps nintendo sell mario products.