Pandan

[FE8] Vision Quest (v.04 Part I & II; 18 Chapters!)

Recommended Posts

got it

i'll find my clean of that then

 

Edit; first impressions of chapter 1

IMMEDIATELY the custom portraits make the game so much better, so props for that, even if storch-mc-not-a-lord looks a pretty janky, but solid work on the portraits overall, they look fairly good, if clearly spliced for some.

The writing seems decent, though the lifestyles given of the people in the opening exposition dump seems a little arbitrary, and arckady seems like some kind of neo-anarchist, (lol) "when the rich collect taxes, they're made lords, but when the poor do it, we're thieves!"

                                                    5bc358cf4d037_communistpropoganda.jpg.9ce610ed17e2cfc848e854c9b4d7bfa1.jpg

also, holy shit the rich girl village dialogue, thats great.

now, onto the map of chapter 1

overall, i'd like to say its decent, with the one wide corridors being widened, but my main issue is that all the villages are too spread out, and its seems unrealistic to get them all within the time frame alotted (as in before the halberdier escape incentive) which is kinda annoying. i would prefer if there were fewer villages, and they were more on the beaten path, that and the enemy reinforcements aren't really telegraphed, are my main issues with the map, but otherwise its not a bad start, like i would have said the original version of this map was.

i'd give this chapter a pass, but still needs some fine tuning on the design front

 

CHAPTER 2

okay, so the map concept is interesting, what with racing to take out the brigands before they reach the caravans, but it becomes very easy with the torch, but kind of unfair without it, as this fog of war map doesn't really allow you to take time to figure out your surroundings, because the enemy is already on you and you have no space to be creative or tactical, you just send the commie down southwest with the archer, dude, have the thief, not-a-lord, and baby mage rush the bridge, and use the flier, who now has a really cool and unique personal skill, so props for that, and send her wherever she's needed, because this map just doesn't have ANY checks for her, so its a bit easy.

also, the enemies are really frail so most skills feel pointless at this point since you can just kill them before they threaten you, but still, its fine so far. nothing grievous yet

oh, and the convo at the end of ch2 is broken portraitwise for some reason so check that out if you can.

this chapter is a little too easy, and maybe even a bit boring, but its not ruinous, maybe reduce the number of enemies, make 'em a little tougher? i dunno, thats what seems like it would be fun to me.

oh and @Lowen have a look i did some reviews

Edited by (s)ad touch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@(s)ad touch very helpful, thanks for the feedback.

On 1-1, I tried widening the corridors or removing houses to open it up, and found that it made the map a bit more difficult than I wanted for an opener, since none of your units are particularly bulky from the get go. Good feedback on the reinforcements, I can make that clearer.

Ha, get your point on the exposition. It becomes more important as the story goes on - the goal is to highlight that these people are poor, they're being taxed oppressively, and they're turning to banditry to protect themselves and their families. It tees up the initial conflict of the game, so I apologize if that is unclear.

On 1-2, yeah this one I had issues with too. I redid it from the previous version. There's the one archer that Natsuko has to worry about with the longbow, but other than that she is good in this chapter. You can thank circleseverywhere and his team for the skill, I didn't make it. 

Could make the brigands a bit tougher, but felt the difficulty drop from chapter 1 was justified since you go from fighting town guards that are trained soldiers to a group of opportunistic bandits. Will look into this more, I played around with this chapter a lot and found it difficult to balance as well as I'd like to, but I'm satisfied with the overall flow. It's chapter 2 so I'm not trying to do anything too crazy just yet. 

Keep this coming, super helpful for me.

Edited by Lowen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lowen said:

Could make the brigands a bit tougher, but felt the difficulty drop from chapter 1 was justified since you go from fighting town guards that are trained soldiers to a group of opportunistic bandits. Will look into this more, I played around with this chapter a lot and found it difficult to balance as well as I'd like to, but I'm satisfied with the overall flow. It's chapter 2 so I'm not trying to do anything too crazy just yet. 

at the moment, you should probably be focusing on the gameplay, not ludo-narrative dissonance. the brigands are boring to fight, they should be made more interesting. this chapter, i think the steel axe brigand by the south bridge should have a droppable hand axe. this would make him a bit harder to take down, and would provide a nice reward. some other enemies should have hand axes too, but don't go overboard. maybe 2 or 3 overall for this map. 

gonna play a bit more later

Edited by (s)ad touch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, (s)ad touch said:

at the moment, you should probably be focusing on the gameplay, not ludo-narrative dissonance. the brigands are boring to fight, they should be made more interesting. this chapter, i think the steel axe brigand by the south bridge should have a droppable hand axe. this would make him a bit harder to take down, and would provide a nice reward. some other enemies should have hand axes too, but don't go overboard. maybe 2 or 3 overall for this map.

Fair point, will take a look at this again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just played up to Chapter 9 today.

Obviously I could point out a lot of polish issues but I think you probably already know about a lot of them so I will cut this short. If nothing else, you need to fix Chapter 8. There are two issues: the first is that if you start the chapter, save at the preparations screen, and then restart, you can infinitely gain the items you get at the start of the chapter for free (Steel sword, steel axe, steel bow, and Larisa's special lance). You can fix this by either giving me the items after I exit the preparations screen or at the end of the previous chapter. The second issue is that somehow I triggered the ending event by just stepping on some random tile in Chapter 8. This is kind of a big deal, I shouldn't have to explain why.

If I were you I would play through the whole hack and note down any little issue you see, then go back and fix all of them at once.

Other than those things, I really enjoy the gameplay of this hack for the most part. It's probably the most I've enjoyed gameplay from a "regular" hack (aka not a contest hack) in a very long time. You do a good job keeping the enemies buffed up as I progress, and I was surprised by how often you pushed me to approach. The enemy placement in general was not braindead, but also not obnoxious. I also greatly appreciate you giving me lots of tools to deal with the challenges. I would take a lot of issue with the quantity of FoW maps in this hack, but you give me a pretty powerful thief, a torch, and a torch staff with multiple units who can use it really early on. Also, I am especially fond of the Warp staff, that item always makes the game a lot more fun and I think you recognized that it could be put to good use with how large some of these maps are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 11:04 PM, Pwntagonist said:

Just played up to Chapter 9 today.

Obviously I could point out a lot of polish issues but I think you probably already know about a lot of them so I will cut this short. If nothing else, you need to fix Chapter 8. There are two issues: the first is that if you start the chapter, save at the preparations screen, and then restart, you can infinitely gain the items you get at the start of the chapter for free (Steel sword, steel axe, steel bow, and Larisa's special lance). You can fix this by either giving me the items after I exit the preparations screen or at the end of the previous chapter. The second issue is that somehow I triggered the ending event by just stepping on some random tile in Chapter 8. This is kind of a big deal, I shouldn't have to explain why.

If I were you I would play through the whole hack and note down any little issue you see, then go back and fix all of them at once.

Other than those things, I really enjoy the gameplay of this hack for the most part. It's probably the most I've enjoyed gameplay from a "regular" hack (aka not a contest hack) in a very long time. You do a good job keeping the enemies buffed up as I progress, and I was surprised by how often you pushed me to approach. The enemy placement in general was not braindead, but also not obnoxious. I also greatly appreciate you giving me lots of tools to deal with the challenges. I would take a lot of issue with the quantity of FoW maps in this hack, but you give me a pretty powerful thief, a torch, and a torch staff with multiple units who can use it really early on. Also, I am especially fond of the Warp staff, that item always makes the game a lot more fun and I think you recognized that it could be put to good use with how large some of these maps are.

Thanks for playing and sharing the feedback, glad you enjoyed it overall. And you're right, there are loads of polish issues I am working through in prep for the next release, which I hope to get out before the spring here in the US.

RE: Chapter 8, which tile caused this? I caught the unlimited item thing, but I didn't notice the random tile. I've been going through as you've said, but it is hard for one person to catch everything, so I appreciate the report.

Glad you like the gameplay - good to hear the level curve isn't too punishing. Which chapters in particular stood out to you as good or bad? 

Admittedly, I am a huge fan of FoW, but also know it isn't super well-liked. Glad the resources make it more bearable. Most of the FoW chapters are frontloaded, there are only 2-3 more planned for the rest of the game after the 3 in Part I.

Glad you like the warp staff too, I received some feedback that it is too OP, but think it opens up some more interesting strats early on and allows you to move faster or compensate for mistakes that get made.

Keep the feedback coming, really appreciate you taking the time to play and share your thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, after I finish chapter 3 and the cutscenes end my screen goes black and nothing can be done. Any help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 3:45 PM, HexWall said:

Hey, after I finish chapter 3 and the cutscenes end my screen goes black and nothing can be done. Any help?

Try restarting and skipping the cutscene at the end, let me take another look at this.

It may be an error with how I set up the transitions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.