How does Vortex work?

So I’m in the middle of an Ironman run of PoR and RD consecutively after getting them back recently, and I’m trying to decide if getting the knight ring is remotely realistic.

The idea I have is to have my full guard Jill clear the mountain area and make room for Ulki and Reyson, use a pure water on Jill to bolster her already blessed 11 res, and bait out Naesala with her since she should be able to survive one hit.

...The problem is this will only work if he doesn’t get one of 2 6% crits, and I don’t want to risk that. But I’ve also been assuming the worst case scenario here; that it’s elwind powered by his strength and targeting enemy resistance. Is this true, or does it use his magic stat? I haven’t found any data on how it works to confirm.

Edited by Alastor15243

I'm almost certain it's based off of his magic because I always bait him with my sorens, and he does 0-5 damage depending on how res-blessed mine happens to be. If it was based of strength, that damage would have to be much higher

I don't have an answer to the actual question (I think it's Mag based, but I'm not 100% sure), but I'd recommend using Tanith's reinforcements to lure Naesala in.

Vortex does indeed use the Magic stat, and its stats are identical to Elwind. So it'll have 4 Mt, 8 against a flier without the Full Guard (although the Laguzguard if it works should be better here). Naesala has 17 Magic shifted, so he has sans protection 25 Atk, which as he will certainly be doubling with. Your Jill will live if she has 18 Res with Pure Water, and the Full Guard will bring that down to 21 Atk, so a mere 3x2, double crits can't do anything about that.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Vortex does indeed use the Magic stat, and its stats are identical to Elwind. So it'll have 4 Mt, 8 against a flier without the Full Guard (although the Laguzguard if it works should be better here). Naesala has 17 Magic shifted, so he has sans protection 25 Atk, which as he will certainly be doubling with. Your Jill will live if she has 18 Res with Pure Water, and the Full Guard will bring that down to 21 Atk, so a mere 3x2, double crits can't do anything about that.

Awesome, thanks!