Implementing Equippable Shields

I've been wondering how Shields could be incorporated into a modern Fire Emblem game with unit inventory space for more than one item.  I figure that in a modern game with shields, characters could have one weapon and one shield equipped at a time, with currently equipped shields boosting Defense (or maybe even Resistance in some cases) and providing other benefits at the cost of speed and depleting in durability as the user takes hits.  There could possibly even be larger and stronger Greatshields that can only be equipped by Knights and Generals.

What do you guys think about this?

That is actually a feature from Tear Ring Saga and Berwick Saga.  I'm actually surprised it didn't get incorporated into the series but maybe it's a balancing issue or whatever other problems they ran into. Fates had a lot of issues.

1 minute ago, grinus said:

That is actually a feature from Tear Ring Saga and Berwick Saga.  I'm actually surprised it didn't get incorporated into the series but maybe it's a balancing issue or whatever other problems they ran into. Fates had a lot of issues.

I know the Saga games had Shields, but I wasn't sure if they worked like this.

I'd be fine with Shields, but make sure character Def values aren't too high to compensate- if the shields are durable and plentiful that is. 

If you aren't aware, TearRing Saga had shields, except they had very low uses, were kinda limited, and wore out quickly since they activated on every hit.

Berwick Saga featured Small, Medium, and Large Shields (which type can be used depends on character). And since this game's highest Def growth is 18%, Shields are very valuable here for tanking hits. They have good durability, are readily buyable, and offer good amounts of Def- when they activate that is. Shields have their own "hit" rate in BS, the chance they'll block an attack and reduce the damage taken by the Shield "Mt", the chance of activation is determined by Shield and by the Shield weapon skill level of the character using it. The main character even gets a personal Shield and a "knightly" character gets a skill that lets them use their Axe as a Shield.

Some shields do offer magical protection in both Sagas. They do have Wt in Berwick as well (not too big a deal since Pursuit is only existent on two PCs).

Yep, shields were placed in inventory and would provide DR to your character. It came in two varieties in the Saga Series. Leather and Steel. They would degrade until destroyed. They usually had the durability of 3 and it felt balanced.

interdimensional observer above explains it properly.  Thanks! 

Edited by grinus

2 minutes ago, grinus said:

Yep, shields were placed in inventory and would provide DR to your character. It came in two varieties in the Saga Series. Leather and Steel. They would degrade until destroyed. They usually had the durability of 3 and it felt balanced.

interdimensional observer above explains it properly.  Thanks! 

Okay.  Cool!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 4:06 AM, Von Ithipathachai said:

depleting in durability as the user takes hits.

No. It was a garbage mechanic in Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, and I don't want to see it in FE.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:06 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

I've been wondering how Shields could be incorporated into a modern Fire Emblem game with unit inventory space for more than one item.  I figure that in a modern game with shields, characters could have one weapon and one shield equipped at a time, with currently equipped shields boosting Defense (or maybe even Resistance in some cases) and providing other benefits at the cost of speed and depleting in durability as the user takes hits.  There could possibly even be larger and stronger Greatshields that can only be equipped by Knights and Generals.

What do you guys think about this?

Have you read about Berwick Saga, that implemented shields in a big way.

They came in 3 separate weapon ranks.

Small Shields mostly used by light infantry.

Medium Shields mostly used by heavier cavalry.

and Large Shields nigh exclusively used by armored units with only one pseudo exception.

LPers I've talked to say Medium shields are quite useful, but large shields weren't as useful. One thing I remember  was a few of the Medium shields had the ability to equip Small shields, but no Large Shield users could equip any other shield.

Edited by Emperor Hardin