New Heroes: Scattered Fangs

Baldrick

1 hour ago, Sasori said:

Karla? Really? Of all the units to put on a banner they went with Karla?

Well... Bartre, Fir and Karel are already in the game so honestly Karla is par for the course. It's really not that random of a choice. She's another FE7 unit and not only does she accompany her brother but she rounds out one of the only complete Elibian families that span across both games. It was a decent choice really. Still wouldn't have picked her over guy, but it does make sense.

As for the banner. Karla isn't really a must and she was basically trash in FE7, but she is likely a ridiculously good unit and also another source or Wrath 3. Legault's weapon is a reverse blade dagger and Nino is likely going to be the best green flier to date. Legault over Leila saddens me, but he's likely to be pretty good. Seeing as there are few flying tome units (at least that I know of) in the FE universe I understand alts to supplement this lacking unit type, for this exclusively alts get a pass, but things like Horse Chrom and Eirika don't.

As for demotions, Nino is clearly staying exclusive and between Wrath and ATK Tactic, Wrath and Even SPD Wave are likely to remain premium for quite a while so Legault is the safe drop. However it's very possible that no one will demote from this banner, so be very much prepared for that possibility.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy skip on my part. A shame that SwSp and Wrath will almost certainly remain 5* locked, but at least I can hope for a new shiny dagger for my Nyakumi.

Also, PSA for people who haven't heard my spiel over in the general discussion thread:

I'm suspecting Giga Excalibur will not be available as an evolution from Excalibur or Dark Excalibur.

For one, its name in Japanese, "Gigascalibur", which is what the S-rank anima tome in FE7 is called in Japanese, is not prefixed like its English name of "Giga Excalibur".

Second, its weapon sprite is different from the one used by Excalibur and Dark Excalibur. Currently, I'm pretty sure every evolved weapon uses the same sprite as the original, but with a shiny gleam added. Its magic animation is also different.

Karla almost had me. Almost. But no, my heart money orbs belong to Charlotte. Sadly.

Then again, I'm stoked for free Canas. It's like The Universe WANTSme to finish my Henry...

y'know I love Fire emblem 7. It was my first FE game and I played the shit out of that game.

I only used Nino like twice or so however, and then took her along some time to fill out the support log. I never cared for her and I don't care for her now.

Legault was always my main thief though, I hope he gets demoted so I can build him to a high merge level.

Karla... I almost always used Bartre so I got her al lot. Never used her besides support farming though.

Canas was often a main team member. Solid magic user. I don't really care for him though. He's kinda screwed being a TT(?) unit, no merging for him. Another popular character getting screwed.

Linus. I guess it was writing on the wall he'd be a GHB someday. Don't really cared again.

Overall kinda a dissapointing banner.. And another alt for a character that didnt need an alt. At least Legault is here now I guess.

I do have to wonder if there's any rhyme or reason (or order) there is to how these characters are being released. I'm pretty sure Rath didn't fare badly in CYL2, and I think there were a few characters who placed higher than he did who aren't on the banner. What did Karla and Legault place compared to other FE7 characters not in the game yet?

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

I do have to wonder if there's any rhyme or reason (or order) there is to how these characters are being released. I'm pretty sure Rath didn't fare badly in CYL2, and I think there were a few characters who placed higher than he did who aren't on the banner. What did Karla and Legault place compared to other FE7 characters not in the game yet?

I'm guessing horse archers are just too good to have multiples of. Besides, they don't want to have unique unit types be that abundant in the normal summoning pool

1 minute ago, silveraura25 said:

I'm guessing horse archers are just too good to have multiples of. Besides, they don't want to have unique unit types be that abundant in the normal summoning pool

I mean

In my opinion, flying mages and flying archers and horse mages are also "just too good". And all of those are in the regular summoning pool.

EDIT: Let's just get the obvious out there: Reinhardt is a 3-star summonable unit now. And he's fucking OP as a 5-star, without something like Sacae's Blessing I can't imagine any horse archer being so much better than Reinhardt you'd have to limit them to seasonal units.

Edited by Sunwoo

Just now, Sunwoo said:

I mean

In my opinion, flying mages and flying archers and horse ,ages are also "just too good". And all of those are in the regular summoning pool.

Flying mages we've got a bunch of already. Horse archers are just two.

25 minutes ago, Thane said:

I don't remember Legault ever mentioning fighting dirty. He got a super hamfisted and anime-like introduction when a random goon said "You're the Hurricane! The one who's said to be equal to the Four Fangs!" or something, which made it sound like he was a big deal when it came to fighting.

His supports with Matthew and Isadora imply he's not very strong, and works by catching his enemy unaware.

51 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"The Cleaner" is such a cringy, edgy name for a weapon. This and "Harmonic Lance" annoy the fucking hell out of me. Is Legault throwing bottles of Pine-Sol at the enemy?

The Japanese name is "Purging Dagger", with the word for "purge" specifically meaning the purging of dissenters and traitors.

The English name probably comes from his B support with Matthew. It had the same context there as the Japanese name does.

Just now, silveraura25 said:

Flying mages we've got a bunch of already. Horse archers are just two.

And I don't think horse archers >>>>>>>>>>>>> flying mages just by virtue of being an archer on a horse alone.

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I'm kind of curious about that as well. Looking at the CYL2 poll, the only one we're getting that was in the Top 100 was Canas at 89, the rest were pretty low. I guess you could argue they were going for a theme around Nino, but that still wouldn't explain Karla who has no connection to her or the Black Fang.

Personally, this banner seems like a skip to me since I'm sure Legault will drop and the others don't interest me too much, but I'm glad to finally get Canas and Linus. 

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

And I don't think horse archers >>>>>>>>>>>>> flying mages just by virtue of being an archer on a horse alone.

Brave weapon user with 3 movement and can attack from 2 spaces away

Edited by silveraura25

11 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I looked it up. Legault was 199 and Karla was in the 200s. Rath, Sain, Pent, Louise and several others were above them, but then I do want less popular charries in the game. Just Canas was 89 and that is apparently not enough to carry a banner.

For horse archers, I don't think they're oppressive at all. Lyn is because of the skills she had, but no one seems to blink an eye at Roy. We need actual canon horse archers in the game. I hate the excuse of them being op when horse and flying mages are far more op.

Edited by Cute Chao

OH MY GOODNESS.  SOMEONE PINCH ME.

Legault finally showed up, and Canas is also in there somehow?  AAAAAAHHHHHH GOODBYE MY ORBS!  I hope Canas is a TT reward or something!

I want to believe that Canas will have good stats since I liked using him in FE7 but it's not looking good for him right now, especially the lack of a unique weapon.

Legault is almost guaranteed to demote, which means Atk tactic will be in the 4* pool, a skill I have been waiting for forever.

IS seems to be finding every possible excuse to shoo in all the fem myrms into Heroes. I doubt she'll make much of an impact aside from Spd wave fodder though 

Edited by Korath88

6 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

The English name probably comes from his B support with Matthew. It had the same context there as the Japanese name does.

Which is exactly one of the reasons it annoys me so much. It's an inheritable generic weapon that is named specifically with Legault as its user in mind as if it were a unique weapon.

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

OH MY GOODNESS.  SOMEONE PINCH ME.

Legault finally showed up, and Canas is also in there somehow?  AAAAAAHHHHHH GOODBYE MY ORBS!  I hope Canas is a TT reward or something!

TT. Easy.

"A horse with wings is called a Pegasus! Bet you didn't know that, did ya?"

...yes, thank you Nino. We're proud of you.

Also where in the fangs name did you find that Pegasus.

35 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm suspecting Giga Excalibur will not be available as an evolution from Excalibur or Dark Excalibur.

For one, its name in Japanese, "Gigascalibur", which is what the S-rank anima tome in FE7 is called in Japanese, is not prefixed like its English name of "Giga Excalibur".

Second, its weapon sprite is different from the one used by Excalibur and Dark Excalibur. Currently, I'm pretty sure every evolved weapon uses the same sprite as the original, but with a shiny gleam added. Its magic animation is also different.

Can confirm that the same weapon but different shares the sprite of the original. Usually, there is a SLIGHT change in coloring between the two, at best. I think the only exception would have been Durandal and Blazing Durandal, before it had its duller coloring changed to better match the Durandal seen in artwork.

Out of less than idle curiosity now, have any other iterations of Localized Excalibur been less than accurate? Because there's been a lot of Excaliburs over the years...

Edited by Xenomata

17 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Brave weapon user with 3 movement and can attack from 2 spaces away

Fliers have two refreshers and no movement penalty, so they have some nice perks that cavalry units don't. Also, unless you're Legendary Lyn, all bows released so far have been colorless while mages can at least get weapon triangle advantage and hit res. So again, I wouldn't say being a horse archer makes one superior just by virtue of class alone.

I never liked use Batre (or any fighter for that matter) so I don't rarely get Karla, but I always liked her, so I am glad we got her, she looks beutie here as well and seems pretty strong.

Not interested in Nino and Legault, though I feel better about her that "Giga Excalibur" is not completely random choice (even if localisation is not great). Her being on Pegasus could be justified with Florina becoming her "big sister" in her A support. Maybe?

1 hour ago, silveraura25 said:

It's easy. Don't invest in Lyn. Eliwood is a better investment

On paper maybe, but honestly Lyn is much easier to level up and unlike Eliwood you don't have to heal her after every battle.  Eliwood can't neither dodge as Lyn nor tank as Hector so he need lot of pampering.

Plus you can say whatever you want about bows sucking badly in GBAs, but it makes Lyn unkillable. 

17 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Out of less than idle curiosity now, have any other iterations of Localized Excalibur been less than accurate? Because there's been a lot of Excaliburs over the years...

Elibe's Excalibur is the only one that's been inaccurate. Everything else going by the name of "Excalibur" actually is "Excalibur".

• Akaneia's Excalibur is localized as "Excalibur".
  • Valentia's Excalibur is localized as "Excalibur".
  • Jugdral's Grafcalibur has not been localized yet.
  • Elibe's Aircalibur is unofficially localized as "Alacalibur" (as an unused weapon in The Sacred Stones).
  • Elibe's Gigascalibur is localized as "Excalibur" in Blazing Sword and "Giga Excalibur" in Heroes.
  • Magvel's Excalibur is localized as "Excalibur".
  • Tellius's Rexcalibur is localized as "Rexcalibur".
  • Awakening's Rexcalibur is localized as "Rexcalibur".
  • Awakening's Excalibur is localized as "Excalibur".
  • Fates's Excalibur is localized as "Excalibur".

Having not played Fates and having not gotten far in Awakening, so only based on their stats, my assumption is that their Excalibur weapons are intended to be the same Excalibur as Akaneia's Excalibur as they all share the high critical hit rate and effective damage against flying, which is why they all share their Japanese name.

I'm not sure whether to pull or not. On the other hand, I really like Legault and almost spilled my morning coffee when I saw him. But on the other hand there's probably going to be summer heroes I might be interested in and daggers still aren't that great. Glad to see Canas as well.

12 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Fliers have two refreshers and no movement penalty, so they have some nice perks that cavalry units don't. Also, unless you're Legendary Lyn, all bows released so far have been colorless while mages can at least get weapon triangle advantage and hit res. So again, I wouldn't say being a horse archer makes one superior just by virtue of class alone.

I had text written, but when I clicked on the notification, it disappeared. Usually it should reappear, but oh well

I'm not going to deny that fliers have some nice perks. However, what I'm trying to say is that some weapon and mobility class combinations give birth to powerful units. And brave bow is at the root of it all for archers. Brabe bow is one of the most used bows alongside firesweep. Armors with bold fighter and brave bow, horses with great range and brave bow, flying brave bow users. I just find them to be superior to flying mages as their offenses are better because of brave weapons

1 minute ago, Tenzen12 said:

On paper maybe, but honestly Lyn is much easier to level up and unlike Eliwood you don't have to heal her after every battle.  Eliwood can't neither dodge as Lyn nor tank as Hector so he need lot of pampering.

Plus you can say whatever you want about bows sucking badly in GBAs, but it makes Lyn unkillable. 

In Hector hard mode Lyn dies much easier than Eliwood and is an unreliable dodgetank (not purely based on my experience, but from tierlist explenations that several FE veterans who know the game well have written and documented). Eliwood is bad, but he can take a hit from most enemies as they are slow, he has better defensive stats and his promotion is a lot more worth investing in than Lyn. Lyn, at best, is a horsekiller who'll take damage from counterattacks and then needs healing. There is a part in the game with valkyries with unusually high speed, but there are better units to tackle the job than Lyn. Yes, her stat gains from her promotions are great and it's what she needed statwise, but her promotion doesn't fix her problems that she still faced while unpromoted: footlocked unit who can't 1-2 range and has poor attack.