Ideas For Book 3

11 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Tbh, I'll dread Book 3 if the new villain is Fjorm's brother Hrid. I'd rather have him as an ally.

There's a rather annoying archetype/stereotype/I don't know what the correct terminology is where brothers are more likely to be evil, or killed off, than sisters. If there are only two siblings, a brother and a sister, then the girl is usually the good one who lives while the brother is either evil, or dies/is dead, or both. If there's multiple brothers and sisters, the sister(s) are likely to be good while the brother(s) are likely to be evil.

So far, we've met Fjorm and her sisters. We know that Gunnthra is good and (real) Ylgr just wants to be with her family. Hrid, though? Haven't seen him, or heard from him. It really says something about pertinent media archetypes that this is even plausible.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are you sure you aren't counting your chickens before they hatch? The upcoming story chapter title does not have to equal Surtr's death. It could quite possibly be Gustav's for all we know. Just to give a word of caution.

It's possible that the coming chapter will just be the start of the battle that leads to Surtr dying. Gustav dying would be the most ridiculous plot development. A guy who we've never even seen just shows up in Muspell to die? Do we need to kill every member of Fjorm's family to get her to emote?

4 hours ago, Hilda said:

Where are people getting the idea that book2 is ending? We all know Surtr isnt the real deal. Book 2 ends when Loki is done. There is still a long riad ahead if you ask me

Loki seems like a greater scope villain, so I don't think she'll die in Book II. I suspect that Surtr will die soon and there will be foreshadowing of some larger scheme that Loki is cooking up before the end of the book. It could take a lot of chapters though, what with the pacing of Hero's story.

3 hours ago, Vince777 said:

The reason I think Loki will win CY3 has a lot to do with last year's placement and Veronica's win. Loki has become more important than her now. Heroes OCs apparently do good in these.

Honestly, I think Loki will win CYL3. There are a few things going for her.
1. She's has a busty figure and a revealing outfit. Awakening had Tharja, Fates had Camilla and Hero's has the latest flavor in Heroes.
2. People like recruiting villains.
3. Like Veronica and unlike most of the other OCs, she has been given character development and persistent story presence.

I usually don't like the gratuitous fanservice characters but I begrudgingly admit that she's better written than most of the Heroes cast.

-----

As for what I expect, I think Loki will be the greater scope villain who wants to create a war that will consume all worlds. Something like causing Ragnarok to happen. I don't know how she'll accomplish this beyond sending more enslaved Heroes your way but it would be interesting if she actually manipulated powers to reach her goals. There are still 7 worlds left to explore from the Norse mythology this game borrows so heavily from, so we might get OCs from another world next.

Most of the writing seems like it's made month by month with no real long term goals. Book II is better than Book 1 but all of the characters are extremely underutilized. Anna is their generic commander (+comic relief in paralogues), Sharena is there to talk about friendship and positive vibes, and Fjorm and Gunnthra barely have/had personalities. Alfonse is really the only character with much character depth or involvement in the plot. For villains and antagonists, we have Bruno who fell off the face of the earth, Veronica who is very slowly being retconned developing into a better person, Laev, Laeg and Helbindi who are interesting but treated more as a flavor of the week, Surtr who is a complete joke and Loki, who is shaping up to be important. There is also that small child, who I believe has the personality and story relevance of a small child.

We need more thought out story and character arcs for everyone and actual world-building so we care about anything that is happening. It seems unlikely though.

Edited by NekoKnight

57 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

To be fair, you could say the same for Loki. Loki lives up to her namesake, the trickster, and has shown to be quite cunning and ruthless at times. With this last tempest trial, her character was explored a little more. She's a strategist not afraid to get her hands dirty. Her appearance, while distracting, is effective, because it causes people to focus more on that than her real goals. Sounds very trickster to me. Plus, I have a feeling it's not their "true" appearance.

Her flaws as a character revolve around her motivation, or lack of one. Why does she work for Surtr? Is she really Musspellian? What's her end goal? We have no clue. The others, even Surtr, are clearer. Loki remains a mystery though.

If she wins CYL 3, watch how they'll retcon the story to where if this appearance isn't their "true" appearance, we'll get the girl who's she is based off on.

Tbh, I'll dread Book 3 if the new villain is Fjorm's brother Hrid. I'd rather have him as an ally.

What are her goals? What have her actions even been? People say she's all capricious and stuff, but what has she actually done or achieved in the story this far.

Considering just how bad Book II has been - pretty much everything from the second chapter to now being filler, and only really giving character development to Alfonse while completely ignoring the supposed important new recruit to the point where a very bland commander Anna has to point out that she's slightly miffed at Surtr - I've got zero expectations for Book III. At this point I'm surprised they keep the main story going as opposed to writing smaller individual scenarios featuring specific characters, since it'd be easier to write and would provide the same incentive of getting the new units. It's not like they seem to have any idea what to do with the story barring the overall beginning and end, and although we get five maps every main story update, three of them usually contain no dialogue past some hero introducing themself.

My idea for Book III would effectively be not to have one, but rather create scenarios involving specific heroes, like I mentioned above. Have, I don't know, Lukas, Michalis, Navarre, and Fae be the opponents and give us some interaction between them; make use of the fact that so many of the series' characters are here. I seem to remember everyone enjoying seeing Joshua talk to Dorcas, so give us more of that.

11 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

With book 2 soon to be concluding,  what are some new addition you want to be added in the next large part of the game? I want is :

• Generic beast units, so later animal changers can be in the game
  • Moving/shifting levels
  • Level hazards
  • A new villain that isn't just an evil conquer.

What do you want?

The beast units is a good addition, so are level hazards. The villain is most likely to be Loki, or, assuming she has one, her boss. Then again, I'm expecting more insight to the Emblan curse.

Also, the wind and earth kingdoms, specially the latter for lacking a legendary hero OC. 

I'm expecting a free hero like Fjorn, but it could be either her little sister, older brother, of Veronica 

I'm still pegging Book 2's length at ~13 chapters, one way or another. But that's still just a few months left.

I'm looking forward to beast units, but I'm guessing they'll be introduced as playable units before they show up as generic enemies, like dragons. But the start of Book 3 could certainly be a good time to add them to the generic enemy lineup, so maybe we'll get our first playable ones in the meantime. (Or coinciding with the start of Book 3.)

I don't care too much about the direction of the story, but it'd be nice to finally recruit some of the prominent enemies, like Bruno, Laevatein, and Laegjarn.

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are you sure you aren't counting your chickens before they hatch? The upcoming story chapter title does not have to equal Surtr's death. It could quite possibly be Gustav's for all we know. Just to give a word of caution.

The Japanese title of the chapter is "炎の王、死す", "Death of the King of Flames".

14 hours ago, Kazuya said:

Whatever has been said before but for the love of christ, just balance the game. 

PvP is already rather well balanced.

PvE is pretty much impossible to balance because enemy stats are pretty much fixed, and it's always possible to counter pick (and enemies don't have refinements outside of Infernal Legendary Hero Battles). That said, generic pegasus, dragon, and armor mages (and archers) would help.

20 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

There's a rather annoying archetype/stereotype/I don't know what the correct terminology is where brothers are more likely to be evil, or killed off, than sisters. If there are only two siblings, a brother and a sister, then the girl is usually the good one who lives while the brother is either evil, or dies/is dead, or both. If there's multiple brothers and sisters, the sister(s) are likely to be good while the brother(s) are likely to be evil.

So far, we've met Fjorm and her sisters. We know that Gunnthra is good and (real) Ylgr just wants to be with her family. Hrid, though? Haven't seen him, or heard from him. It really says something about pertinent media archetypes that this is even plausible.

What makes me mad about Hrid is that he was name dropped out of nowhere. It's also my problem with Ylgr, because I don't recall Fjorm really talking about her siblings much other than Gunnthra. Ylgr just appeared abruptly that last chapter. At least Gunnthra had plot relevance and her introduction had some build up to it. I guess we can assume that there's 11 Nifl family members in total though, going by their naming scheme.

But if Hrid is getting the "mind gets twisted and becomes evil" thing I'm going to roll my eyes. That concept has been beat to death in this series. 

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

What are her goals? What have her actions even been? People say she's all capricious and stuff, but what has she actually done or achieved in the story this far.

For your first question, I don't know. I said the same thing in my first post. It's really frustrating because as of now, the only motivation for Loki doing this is because she'll be bored otherwise. She's a shit stirrer. Her motivations can simply be loyalty to her kingdom, but Loki doesn't appear to be Musspellian, and her ability to shape shift is interesting... She's probably a dragon of some sort, because the only other person that can shape shift in Fire Emblem is Xane, a divine(?) dragon. 

For your second question, Loki has done:

Spoiler
  • Disguised herself as Bruno and gained Veronica's trust in order to obtain Naglfar, which made it possible to connect/bridge the gap between Emblemia.
  • Actually performed the rite to make the rainbow bridge between Musspell and Emblemia.
  • Served as a mediator between Surtr and Veronica.

It's funny how she's featured more in Book 2, yet has done more in Book 1.

But that's just been my issue with Book 2 overall. A lot of it seems really filler.

5 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I guess we can assume that there's 11 Nifl family members in total though, going by their naming scheme.

Hide contents
  • Disguised herself as Bruno and gained Veronica's trust in order to obtain Naglfar, which made it possible to connect/bridge the gap between Emblemia.
  • Actually performed the rite to make the rainbow bridge between Musspell and Emblemia.

Pretty sure Fjorm specifically states in the last chapter that it's just the four siblings. Even if they did want to use all the Elivagar names, it wouldn't be eleven, because one of the eleven names is taken by her Leiptr, her weapon.

On, what Loki has done, I might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure we can also add "started the Tempest" to that list. I seem to recall in the Xenologue that she was the one to introduce Veronica to the idea and convince her go through with it. Although, I suppose that doesn't really count as "what she's done in the story", since the Tempest is never really mentioned in the story outside of that Xenologue.

5 minutes ago, C. Turtle said:

Pretty sure Fjorm specifically states in the last chapter that it's just the four siblings. Even if they did want to use all the Elivagar names, it wouldn't be eleven, because one of the eleven names is taken by her Leiptr, her weapon.

On, what Loki has done, I might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure we can also add "started the Tempest" to that list. I seem to recall in the Xenologue that she was the one to introduce Veronica to the idea and convince her go through with it. Although, I suppose that doesn't really count as "what she's done in the story", since the Tempest is never really mentioned in the story outside of that Xenologue.

I would consider that another accolade Loki has done. Granted, I don't know the significance of the Tempest and whether it really negatively effects the world or not. 

But needless to say, I'm happy for more free orbs.

31 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

What makes me mad about Hrid is that he was name dropped out of nowhere. It's also my problem with Ylgr, because I don't recall Fjorm really talking about her siblings much other than Gunnthra. Ylgr just appeared abruptly that last chapter. At least Gunnthra had plot relevance and her introduction had some build up to it. I guess we can assume that there's 11 Nifl family members in total though, going by their naming scheme.

But if Hrid is getting the "mind gets twisted and becomes evil" thing I'm going to roll my eyes. That concept has been beat to death in this series.

Honestly, Fjorm never mentioning any of her siblings besides Gunnthra is a bit weird. I get that she's very focused on her goal for revenge, and that once they found out that Gunnthra was contacting Kiran she became top priority. But you'd think that if you're going back to your country, you'd at least express concern about your other two siblings who are missing. Even if she thought they were dead, you'd think that would warrant a mention as to the reasons she wants revenge.

Basically, I'm saying that Fjorm suffers from something I will now refer to as, "single-mindedness syndrome". She only mentions one motivating factor and that's all she ever mentions unless something comes up that draws more information out from her.

Agreed with you on Hrid, though. I'd like more male OCs who are playable besides Alfonse (where the fuck is Bruno, you'd better be coming back next chapter, your sister is in danger), and like you said, it's super cliche. I mean, let's go back to FE1, where Minerva and Maria, the two sisters, are the "good" members of the Macedon family while Michalis, the only brother, is the one you have to kill due to plot reasons. Or Zephiel being the evil jaded one over Guinevere, the sister. Or Julius the brother being the Lopto-possessed one while Julia, the only sister of a brother and two different half-brothers, inherited the holy Naga blood.

This trope is fucking everywhere, but especially so in FE. If you're a brother with sisters, you have to be the protagonist himself to avoid it.

Edited by Sunwoo

9 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Honestly, Fjorm never mentioning any of her siblings besides Gunnthra is a bit weird. I get that she's very focused on her goal for revenge, and that once they found out that Gunnthra was contacting Kiran she became top priority. But you'd think that if you're going back to your country, you'd at least express concern about your other two siblings who are missing. Even if she thought they were dead, you'd think that would warrant a mention as to the reasons she wants revenge.

Basically, I'm saying that Fjorm suffers from something I will now refer to as, "single-mindedness syndrome". She only mentions one motivating factor and that's all she ever mentions unless something comes up that draws more information out from her.

Agreed with you on Hrid, though. I'd like more male OCs who are playable besides Alfonse (where the fuck is Bruno, you'd better be coming back next chapter, your sister is in danger), and like you said, it's super cliche. I mean, let's go back to FE1, where Minerva and Maria, the two sisters, are the "good" members of the Macedon family while Michalis, the only brother, is the one you have to kill due to plot reasons. Or Zephiel being the evil jaded one over Guinevere, the sister. Or Julius the brother being the Lopto-possessed one while Julia, the only sister of a brother and two different half-brothers, inherited the holy Naga blood.

This trope is fucking everywhere, but especially so in FE. If you're a brother with sisters, you have to be the protagonist himself to avoid it.

Yeah, Fjorm tends to suffer from that. I'm trying to think why they weren't mentioned before, because you know these characters were planned well in advance (if the Nino alt dating 2017 is anything to go by), so I would think that the writers could've added ONE line about Fjorm worrying about her siblings' whereabouts. I know they want to keep it short and sweet because it's a mobile game, but come on. One line was all that was needed before the other two came out of nowhere in the last chapter. At least Hrid is getting some build up to his introduction though, but if he's evil, I'm gonna be over it already. If he's evil because something has twisted his brain, I'll be even more pissed, because we can add him to the "Twisted Prince" club along with Michalis, Hardin, Julius, Zephiel, Lyon, and from the last two games (spoilers because they're not from an old game)

Spoiler

Takumi + Berkut

I probably missed a couple, but those are the most prominent members.

IS really seems to like making evil twisted princes, apparently, unless the character in question is the main protagonist. I have to assume it's because the target audience is men and men would rather have a female character swoon over him rather than have her be the final villain. If anyone wants to count Idoun as the "final villain", the good ending doesn't even have her die, it has her learning to feel emotions again even though she's been like this for about a thousand years. Meanwhile, Lyon and Hardin a certain Hoshidan have to die because their possession just cannot be undone.

I feel like Ashera is the only female boss (not that there really were any, just her and Idoun) who actually has agency. Yes, Sephiran is the one who wakes her up, but she sticks by her judgement even when Sephiran himself is telling her that he was mistaken.

55 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

For your first question, I don't know. I said the same thing in my first post. It's really frustrating because as of now, the only motivation for Loki doing this is because she'll be bored otherwise. She's a shit stirrer. Her motivations can simply be loyalty to her kingdom, but Loki doesn't appear to be Musspellian, and her ability to shape shift is interesting... She's probably a dragon of some sort, because the only other person that can shape shift in Fire Emblem is Xane, a divine(?) dragon. 

Hide contents

It's funny how she's featured more in Book 2, yet has done more in Book 1.

But that's just been my issue with Book 2 overall. A lot of it seems really filler.

None of those things particularly contribute to the Loki like personality though. People say she's a trickster but she hasn't really deceived or betrayed anyone, just worked for Surtr. I suppose she'll betray him soon, but as of yet all she's really done is cosplay as Anna and foreshadow an arc she might as well have been absent from.

Maybe book 3 could actually explore the Askr trio finding themselves in another land. Maybe even another Fire emblem universe by some sort of reverse summoning shenanigans. And they have to try to get out so they can get back to their world etc. Make it a good series to be stuck in etc

Not expecting much, as Book I and Book II are both pretty mediocre and generic, but that's actually good thing in my perspective.

Heroes is, and hopefully still is a side project for IS. So I'm hoping they don't pour all their narrative ideas into Heroes' and save them for the mainline games. After the atrocity and wasted potential that is the Fates story, I really hope they plan things out and improve on the subsequent games instead.

I am interested in what Loki has in plan for us down the future though and what her grand plan is, pretty sure she's definitely going to cause some trouble at the end of Book II and is potentially the cause Surtr's death, giving Laevatein and Laegjarn a reason to join us (please).

8 hours ago, Hilda said:

what i really want sooner then later are player generated GHB maps with rewards players can put up (as in useless units they dont need/want)

Player-generated maps is fine. Rewarding players with units you don't want? No! That amounts to unit trading, and that would break FEH's profits, particularly if you could signal to someone your design map by telling them to search for GHB #93781 or "Julia Fo Sale!". Think of all the Fates MyCastles that existed purely for skill buying and BP grinding. That'd happen again.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Player-generated maps is fine. Rewarding players with units you don't want? No! That amounts to unit trading, and that would break FEH's profits, particularly if you could signal to someone your design map by telling them to search for GHB #93781 or "Julia Fo Sale!". Think of all the Fates MyCastles that existed purely for skill buying and BP grinding. That'd happen again.

Those were awesome. I could get aptitude on all my guys from some dude that hacked the game.

11 hours ago, Tsak said:

Maybe book 3 could actually explore the Askr trio finding themselves in another land. Maybe even another Fire emblem universe by some sort of reverse summoning shenanigans. And they have to try to get out so they can get back to their world etc. Make it a good series to be stuck in etc

Fjorm needs to die first. The Askr trio have basically became her assistants. 

Book 2 started out so promising and the trailer was so hype.  Still I think more happened in this book than people realize.  

1. Veronica joins with Surtr

2. Alfonse's brilliant tactical prowess is put on display

3. Gunnthra dies

4. We realize through Helbindi how savage Muspell is and how difficult it is to make a living.  

5. We see Veronica truly care for another person with the deepening of her relationship with Xander.  She tells Xander to stop fighting Surtr cause she doesn't want him to die or hurt anymore.  

6. Activating the flames of Muspell causes one to lose themselves.  So we know Surtr was likely not originally as we see him now.  

7. We learn that Alfonse has a father who he doesn't get along well with.  

The writing is still not so great but I think it is better than book 1.  It should honestly be much better and more detailed though.  I hope it continues to improve, and they invest more time into it. 

Honestly all I want is playable Bruno (I want those abs in my barracks) and beast units.  That is all I want since I have never expected much of the main story. 

I want four star versions of all the OCs, except of course the four we already have and any that have become legendary heroes such as Gunnthra. Do a Xenologue thing like in the Endgame of Awakening or post game of Sacred stones.