moving to europe--any advice?

Phoenix Wright

hey all,

i'm moving to leiden in the netherlands for 2 years for my master's. i've got a friend helping me with a lot of the logistics, but he's not available all the time. and, these blogs that i've been finding are pretty much useless. 

anyone got tips for living in europe? typical english-native (part-time) jobs to apply for? advice on what to bring and how to ship it? anything you can think of.

thanks!

Hi! So you're moving to the Netherlands, I can help you with that. I think taking basic Dutch is not a bad idea, but a lot of people do speak English. A google search for jobs where you can speak English in the Netherlands can do you no wrong. Overall, it's a great country to be in, and I would especially ask the people you're living with on what to do, as they will most certainly be able to help you out.

Move out of the mindset of thinking of Europe as one homogeneous country (even though it sort of is on a technical level), and make fun of every British person you meet for voting to leave the EU.

• 1 month later...

I assume you move from the US? 

Check if you need a permit to work (I would assume so), look up insurance. Your driving license may not be recognized after some time. That differs from country to country.

You'll definitely need a dutch phone number and a bank account. Quite similar to Germany credit cards seem not to be popular in the Netherlands, so have some cash on you and don't be surprised if a shop only accepts weird Maestro debit cards ;p

Tech is expensive quite in EU, so I would bring my preferred console/electronic gadget over. Just remember sockets in Europe are different and that some older stuff is region locked (3DS for example).