Rate The Unit - #24 Haar

20 minutes ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

As typical as it is Laguz his growthrates are really terrible aside of HP and luck. 40% speed growth is ok though.

Keep in mind that most stats are doubled when transformed, so every level-up proc counts doubled as well. In practice, his Str and Spd growths are 50% an 80%, albeit less reliable than a Beorc unit with "real" 50% and 80% growths.

I absolutely agree that Volug's main value comes from his base stats, though. The most important growth he makes during part 1 is his weapon rank - that +5 damage on the S rank isn't too shabby. I suppose he's one of the few non-royals who can realistically get to max weapon rank as well, but I never really used him in part 4 except as a filler.

Edited by ping

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volug, I really like this guy (shocking I know, bet you never would have guessed that) so my view of Volug may be a little biased but I will try to push that to the side. Volug has some very good bases, on top of that he has really high movement making him a valuable asset to the team. His growths however like a lot of Laguz are pretty bad, personally I think some stats are way too high luck in paticular I have never understood this and have thought luck should have been reduced a bit and put those points into something more useful like Str, Def. or Sp. Regardless of that if you continue to deploy and use Volug he will be a solid member of the team and will pull the Dawn Brigade through, and if you give him a Satori sign upon reaching level 30 (I'm pretty sure it's 30 it's been a little while so I could be off a bit) he will learn the skill savage. Making him even more useful than he already is. While there are better laguz units like Naihalah and Skrimir, Volug is one of the few who you can get his weapon level all the way up to SS something that you don't have enough gameplay time fore all the others to do. Addittionally Volug is a quite solid unit and can hold his own even against the dragons in the tower.

Due to his high movement and good bases I'll give Volug an 8.0 now the drawbacks are of course that he can't counter at range, and during parts 3 and onward you either need a Laguz stone or gem or wait for his bar to fill up. But the good stats and high movement I think make up for it. If you want to make the most out of Volug I would advise giving him the energy drop and maybe a seraph robe with this latter one the intent is so that he will max out HP sooner and will hopefully level other areas more like str. def. and sp.

@Dunal I definitely have something to respond on our usual subject, but I take this chance to say that I definitely exaggerated on downplaying Nolan. I also wasn't aware he had pretty decent Avo at least against Tigers (which really, really matters when he can potentially survive two hits from the strongest ones). Another thing that's got me thinking is Edward vs. Zihark, and how it would be justifiable to train Edward if you're already using Zihark. I could've sworn he could somewhat match his Double Earth (Earth support + Caladbolg), but it turns out he still loses by around 15 Avo (basically making him less succeptible to Biorythm shifts). 20/1 Edward's average Str is also the exact same as Edward, which in turn means he only really wins by 1 Atk, and only thanks to Caladbolg.

We'll get to that whole part later, but I just wanted to clear something up and re-analyse the other.

Volug

He's about 2nd MVP in Part 2, and probably still falls down to Sothe by a significant margin...if only for his lack of range. His stats are really good, however. Amazing mobility and durability (+14 HP over Sothe). Earth affinity with the ability to go Double Earth. I actually think Part 3 is more of a shining moment for him. Even in Part 1, he starts failing 2HKO's about halfway through, but it still allows him to weaken enemies and build his strike (very important for Part 3). Come Part 3, and he unleashes his ultimate form. He packs the best durability in terms of concrete (can take hits from the strongest Tigers) and even dodging (outspeeds Zihark & Edward). S-rank Volug also 1RKO's Cats and Tigers (with Adept).

Some people apparently see him as a Jeigan, but I actually find him pretty competent by Part 4, considering he's the only Laguz reaching SS-rank (slightly mitigates his poor Str growth). He's not exactly Endgame material next to Royals (let alone Nailah), but the option is there if you're up to it.

Oh, and lastly, one very important detail to mention is that he's pretty much the most budget unit performing these feats. That's gotta count for something.

Edited by Oz â™ 

.5I start with Zihark first because Jill gives me a very hard time judge (without Transfers)

# 11 Zihark
skills: adept
affinity: earth

bases (growths)
HP: 30 (55%)
strength: 17 (35%)
magic: 6 (10%)
skill: 22 (75%)
speed: 23 (70%)
luck: 11 (40%)
Defense: 13 (25%)
resistance: 11 (35%)

bases 8 / 10 (30%)
Zihark comes with top bases for being promoted. He can ORKO everyone aside of knights (if adept is not activated) and take 2-3 physical hits and 3 magical hits for having the best resistance of all physical units in part 1.

growths 6.5 / 10 (20%)
His skill and speed growth are superb, but his physical growths aren't impressive at all. A trained Edward would have tied strength and defense when he reaches Zihark's base level and surpass him. Edward's better physical growths are preferable for me even if his Zihark's higher resistance will come Handy in endgame. 

usefulness  7 / 10 (50%)
Zihark kills almost everything in part 1 and is tanky enough to take two hits by most enemies in 1-E. As for Sothe he'll get 2RKO'ed by tigers, but he has the big advantage of having earth affinity. With at least B Support in earth and resolve in 3-6 he will become almost invisible which makes a so much better enemy phase unit than Edward. The only problem for him could be if a cat attacks him first and can't bring him to resolve mode, so a tiger could kill him. Edward beats Zihark in physical growths, but Zihark's bases and affinity make him much easier to use than him. In endgame he will be outclassed by Edward in strength and Defense.
Adept is a great skill for a speedy unit like him because it's based on speed in FE10. He Can activate it like each fourth time and could Combine it with other skills like vantage and resolve. 

overall 7.2 / 10

@ping
That's a fair point.
Will take it into account

Edited by Hecatia Lapislazuli

Zihark, a very solid unit he has good attack while still haveing the strengths of myrmidons that being high speed and skill. I also really like his laid back and rather chill demeanor and personality. I generally will prioritize training the Dawn Brigade up rather than Zihark killing everything, as if you can get at least most of the DB members promoted by the end of Part 1, Part 3 where they come back into play will be easier and the DB has I think the tougher battles of anyone in the game. Comparetively speaking anyway. What this means is that I will use Zihark during part one if I can take all the DB members and still have room for Zihark. If that's not the case than Zihark get's left behind (during part one let me clarify on that). Part 3 is a differant story I will bring him along, his bases are such that even if one didn't use him at all during Part one he will still wreck stuff up in Part 3.

Zihark has several thing going for him. He's already promoted with some nice bases also giving him more movement than the rest of the DB, comes with a Killing Edge (not that he needs it) has some very good skills (vantage and adept) and has a bigger skill pool to work around. Zihark is a very solid unit to use consistently and throughout your playthrough, I think I'd give him a 7.0 rating for his bases and killing edge.

#12 Jill
level 14 dracoknight
skills: -
affinity: thunder

bases (growths)
HP: 24 (50%)
strength: 11 (45%)
magic: 1 (15%)
skill: (45%)
speed: 15 (65%)
luck: (60%)
defense: 13 (35%)
resistance: 3 (45%)

with transfers (str, skl, spd, def)

bases 8 / 10 (30%)
With her bases she'll be able to double almost everyone and take multiple physical hits. Her strength is still too low to use steel axes without AS penalty, but a forged axe fixes it. 

growths 7 / 10 (20%)
Her growths remind more on a pegasus Knight, but it's not bad at all. With her high speed she can constantly double and has the ability to avoid attacks. Her strength growth is her only weakness, but it can be fixed with forged weapons and bexp.

usefulness 10  / 10 (50%)
Jill is easily the best growth unit in the game because of her mobility and combat. Unlike Haar she rather fulfills the pegasus knight type by having very high speed and luck growth. She hasn't Haar's tankiness, but instead she has the speed to double and the strength to kill. To make her useful easrly on she needs:

• angelic robe from 1-4 to take at least three physical hits and two magical hits
  • forged axe she can ORKO everything aside of myrmidons and knights
  • since her defense growth isn't her best she could also use the draco shield to improve her enemy phase

In part 3 she's the best user of beastfoe since she can get a free kill with hand axes in each turn.
An alternative would be paragon for her, if she's tanky enough to take two hits (could use Rafiel's angelic robe). 
Promote her early to let her destroy the game. She could even solo part 4.
Her better speed growth and cap is the main reason why she's better than Haar in endgame.
And I consider Jill more useful than Haar overall since she's member of the "weakest" party.

Overall 8.8

without transfers

bases 6 / 10
Her bases aren't spectular at all. Her HP and strength are actually bad for her class and level. With her base speed she can only double the enemies which do the most damage to her (mages and Knights), and steel lance Ppgasus knights. She can take two physical hits aside of steel axes which makes her a semi-decent enemy phase unit. Her biggest plus is her mobility.

growths 7 / 10

usefulness 8 / 10
Jill's lower speed is a huge problem for her because she can only double the minority. At least with a forged axe she can ORKO steel lance pegasus knights, but not more. She needs at least two speed points by bexp. to double constantly. If she got it, she Can ORKO also fighters. I don't think she can ORKO soldiers with 11 base strength and forged axe, so needs the energy drop to get fixed. Then she needs the draco shield to have almost the stats as she had with transfer boosts.
Then she gets the ressources as mentioned in the rating above.
Jill needs more ressources early on, but she'll reach the same perfomance as she would have with transfers.

overall 7.2

Thought I'd throw my opinions in.

Micaiah: 5/10. Always find her hard to rate. Generous chip damage through the earlygame but KOs basically nothing due to speed and starts getting OHKOed in like 1-1 so has no enemy phase. Physic through midgame and Fortify / Rescue in lategame are always welcome niches. Maybe 6/10.

Edward: 4/10. He stops doing anything of note past 1-P but he's not complete trash.

Leonardo: 3/10. Unremarkable chip. Can do a couple of cool things even at base level.

Nolan: 7/10. Really good for 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 and 3-6. Base speed is disappointing; I always feel like he should start doubling at some point with his speed growth but it never seems to happen.

Laura: 4/10. Healing's useful in chapters like 1-4 and 3-6. Disappointing Magic + levelling speed means I'm always disappointed by her Physic range though.

Sothe: 9/10. Excellent 1-2 range offence, durability and thief utility through all of part 1. Excellent offence and crap durability in 3-6 then stops being combat-relevant, but there's still some cool thief utility (Brave Bow, desert items).

Ilyana: 5/10. Master Seal + either Wrath or Resolve keep her combat relevant through most of part 1. Irrelevant come part 3 and onward.

Aran: 4/10. Unremarkable bases. I think he's 2HKOed by 1-4 Tigers which really annoys me.

Meg: 1/10. Some people enjoy the challenge of using bad units. I'm not one of them.

Volug: 8/10. Excellent movement + 1-range combat throughout part 1 and 3, solid combat in part 4. Not being able to transform until turn 3 from part 3 onward limits him.

Tauroneo: 5/10. Excellent in 1-6, OK after that.

Zihark: 6/10. Maybe 7/10, but I've never seen him as especially useful. Excellent offence throughout all of part 1 at a point when multiple units also have good offence + usually something else to separate them. Then part 3 comes and exposes his weaknesses awfully, but he needs notable resources (mainly Brave Sword) that are usually better ferried to the Greil Mercenaries.

Jill: 9/10. Complete resource hog but pays off extravagantly.

Jill is a dragonknight, and as such she is extremely valuable she's mounted so she can perform hit and run tactics if desired, she can fly which is extremely useful. She is a kind of dragonknight that leans more towards speed and avoidance vs strength and defense though she certainly will have healthy amounts of those. Jill while in the same tier as Haar will dodge attacks more while Harr on the other hand tends to just soak up damage. It's kind of like the difference between Nephanee and Aran, Nephanee is the fast one while Aran is the tanky one.

Depending on the level of difficulty Jill may struggle at first with killing things, I like to forge her an Iron Axe because 1) I like the forging system in this game and it's fun to forge 2) I like giving Jill a Pink Axe-another reason I like this game's forging system 3) It doesn't cost that much about 3000 gold 4) a forged weapon will allow her to make kills and do more damage faster. And Jill will only be available for deployment for 3 maps not counting the final one. You want to make the most of those maps you can have Jill ready to promote or at least almost ready by the end of these three maps and I would encourage you to do so.

All in all I think I'd give Jill an 8.5 rating. She's mounted, she can fly, has good 1-2 range weaponry and I think giving a unit like Jill anything less than an 8 would be herasy.

10/10

giver her all the resources and watch her solo the DB chapters.

hell all she really wants is a seraph robe and +mt iron axe forges. Her growths will cap fast so it'll be easy to get extra def/res from bexp once str/spd/skl are capped early.

#12 Tauroneo
level 14 general
skill: resolve
affinty: thunder

bases / growths
HP: 38 (50%)
strength: 24 (45%)
skill: 22 (65%)
speed: 20  (50%)
luck: 18 (20%)
defense:  21 (45%)
resistance: 15 (40%)

bases 10 / 10 (30%)
He kills everything with his bases and it doesn't even take by several physical enemies. Perfect panic button.

growths 3 / 10 (20%)
His growthrates aren't great for his class. <50% strength and defense are really bad for a general and remind on Meg pretty much except for having lower speed and luck growth.

usefulness 4 / 10 (50%)
He's superb in 1-6 and and decent in 3-13. He can take two hits by 39 attack tigers and can double 16 speed ones. After that he becomes pointless. Still he does his job in the DB when he's around.
Resolve is a good although nerfed skill. It's not bad on him in 3-13, but other units with a higher availibility - especially earth units - and Micaiah in part 1 benefit more from it.
Thunder is good in combat, but he can rarely get a higher support rank than C.

overall 5.6

Tauroneo gets a 5/10 for being useful when he's with the DB and for not really costing resources if we really want a Marshall that isn't Gatrie. I mean we can laugh at his availability all we want, but he's pretty much the second best Marshall option for endgame if we look at that res. stat. (Brom's growths are wonky and Meg's just not worth it)

already gave him +1 for the mustache.

Tauroneo, I LIKE this guy he's already a General and level 2 at that, so once he can actually earn a reasonable amount of experience he should get to Marshall really quickly. He's a really good tank without any investement and while his availablity is meh. In Part 3 when the DB are defending from the cliffs he is EXTREMELY useful there. Give him some handeaxes and javelins and slap Paragon on him and he'll probably be close to promotion by the end of the chapter if not outright able to promote.. ESPECIALLY when Resolve kicks in which I find very useful on units with good strength, defense and a lot of HP.

I'll give him a 7.0 for how useful he is, his bases I would have made it a little higher but his availability is off and on. That said the maps he's available for he is VERY helpful on.

#14 Fiona
level 9 lance cavalier
skills: inbue, savior
affinity: earth

bases (growths)
HP: 25 (45%)
strength: 8 (40%)
magic: 6 (15%)
skill: 8 (40%)
speed: 10 (60%)
luck: 7 (55%)
Defense: 8 (55%)
resistance: 6 (50%)

bases 0.5 / 10 (30%)
Her bases aren't only pathetic for the joining time but also for her level. 8 strength is just disgusting. She doesn't get zero because she can take a hit by a mage at least.

growths 7 / 10 (20%)
Her growths are really good Overall but irrelevant due to her terrible bases.

usefulness 1 / 10 (50%)
Her bases and the enemies's stats make it pretty much impossible to use her. She needs more than an energy drop and forged iron Lance to do siginificant damage and at least four speed points not to get doubled by the majority. It's really a shame since she Can become a better Oscar at the end with her great caps and earth affinity. Heck, in normal  I find her even better than Meg because of her lategame, but hard mode isn't made for exp. sharing. And unlike Jill the Investment won't be paid off since of her worse bases and mobility. The DB chapters punish mounted units. She has only one purpose: Establishing an earth Support in part 3 since she's free to bring.
Her skills and affinity are irrelevant due to her usefulness.

Overall 2.4

Fiona, ok as a character I really like Fiona and I like her design too. AS A UNIT HOWEVER.......SHE IS BAD. Which is really unfortunate as first of all she's a cavalier and will be the only cavalier the DB will ever get. On Normal mode she will take a heavy beating on the first map where she's playable (of which there are only 2 which doesn't make any sense considering her join time and level). Enemy cavaliers on the battlefield have better stats when you see Fiona (I can't remember if this is just Hard mode or if it is true of Normal as well) which is a big problem. Now Fiona CAN BE MADE to be good, but it requires a lot of effort and babying something I don't generally care for. She is the 2nd unit that requires a lot of effort to be good, the first being Meg. Both of them have less than desirable bases for their join time and are a struggle to be made good or at least reliable. But if one is going to spend that amount of effort to make a unit good I would say between the two Fiona is the better unit to spend it on because at least she's mounted and can perform Hit and Run tactics. Simply I think Fiona can bring more to the table after investment than Meg. As Aran can already do Meg's job better and there's Tauroneo whereas Fiona doesn't have anyone to compete with except maybe Jill who's a dragonknight. What I'm saying is if you're going to spend that amount of effort on a bad unit anyway I think Fiona has a better payoff in the end than Meg.

I was going to give her a 2.5 rating but she's mounted so I'll bump it up to 3.0

Fiona really pushes this scoring system to the limit, doesn't she? :D Honestly, she'd probably deserve a negative score for her bases because most other things about her are actually pretty good (well, the DB maps aren't exactly tailored for cavs, either). But unfortunately, Fiona is just the perfect example of how bad bases can completely ruin a unit no matter how good their potential might be.

literally an est unit. She's good for endgame if you raise her. Amazing growths, shit bases, and the next bunch of chapters are indoors which kills her mount advantage.

Earth support is nice too.

but like, why bother? If you like her, then use her. She's pretty much the second or third worst unit in the game. 2/10

Tormod 
level 5 fire sage
skill: celerity
affinity: fire

bases (growths)
HP: 34 (50%)
strength: 13 (55%)
magic: 17 (40%)
skill: 16 (45%)
speed: 20 (55%)
luck: 14 (25%)
defense: 12 (35%)
resistance: 14 (45%)

bases 8 / 10 (30%)
As expected from a prepromoted unit his bases are good enough to ORKO the majority and take two physical hits in most cases till the end of part 1. 

growths 5 / 10 (20%)
Similar to Ilyana Tormod is a mage with a high strength growth for some reason. However he has no real weak stat unlike her. Sure, his magic could be better, but therefore his speed growth is quite decent.

usefulness 3 / 10 (50%)
Tormod is a good unit on paper with a "little" problem though: He basically doesn't exist anymore after part 1. He Returns in one chapter before endgame with better Equipment (he can't even make use of it) but not auto-leveled. He'll stuck with his bases and gets murdered hard by everything in 4-4. Even paragon doesn't help him since his output damage is too low and this map is like the worst to baby someone. He does his job well in three chapters though even not really needed in 1-E.
Celerity is the welcome skill for Rafiel.

overall 4.9

with transfers in magic and speed

bases 9
growths 5
usefulness 4 His perfomance in 1-8 and 1-F is better since he Can double everyone aside of myrms and the bosses. However still not enough to take out the bulky bandits in 1-8. And he still can't take more than two physical hits in 1-F.

overall 5.7

42 minutes ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

skills 5 / 10 (10%)
Celerity is the welcome skill for Rafiel.

Shouldn't that be a 10/10? It's Boots that you can trade between units, after all. (Come to think of it - it is funny that your unit cannot trade a pair of real boots between them, but they can trade around a skill that Tormod aquired through years of running around with Laguz)

Tormod could almost be split into two units - an 8/10 for part one and a 2/10 (at most) for part four. Same with Muarim and Vika, of course, just with different numbers.

I'd give it a 10 / 10 it was on Rafiel. It still costs capicity, so that's why I nerfed the score.

Anyways I'll remove the skill and affinity paragraph and reevalutate everyone. The paragraph usefulness will get +20% more weight and include support and skills. 

Tormod is probably my favorite mage in this game at least in terms of character and personality. Tormod comes with good bases and is a welcome help to the DB there is little he can't burn to a crisp. Tormod's main downfall is his lack of availability in my opinion he should have rejoined around the time that the Laguz Alliance hired the Greil Mercs, perhaps a chapter or two later. However in spite of this it is relatively easy to get Tormod from Sage tier to Arch Sage what with all the goons he can kill on the map where he is finally playable again even more so if you slap paragon on him. Another thing that makes Tormod very useful and desireable is his Celerity skill which increases his movement by two, and while you could reassign it to someone else it's Tormod's personal skill meaning that currently it doesn't take any points for him.

All in all Tormod is a solid Fire Sage for your team and I'd give him a 6.0 for bases and his Celerity skill.

honestly not worth it outside of drafts.

3/10 since at least his potential endgame stats are good and he doubles auras with white pool iirc.

He's never gonna be able to keep celerity tho. 

and if you're me and want to raise a sage for endgame, there's better options in almost anybody else.....well Pelleas and Bastian suck ass

-Illyana's got the time and best magic type

-Soren has the GM resources and time

-Calil has the caps and is fast. She's also got the speed cap to double auras with white pool.

1/10, in RD, Tormod has terrible availability, even worse than Nino has in her game. And doesn't add anything special to the table either.

One could use him as a staff bot, but you should have plenty of those by that point.

Edited by DiogoJorge

What has Tormod to do with Nino exactly?
Tormod had the bases to ORKO enemies and to take more than a hit, Nino doesn't iirc.

Also Tormod is really not known as a staff bot. That also meant to give him five levels and waste a mastercrown on him.

I can't take this rating serious since he's useful in two (optional three) chapters at least.

15 hours ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

What has Tormod to do with Nino exactly?
Tormod had the bases to ORKO enemies and to take more than a hit, Nino doesn't iirc.

Also Tormod is really not known as a staff bot. That also meant to give him five levels and waste a mastercrown on him.

I can't take this rating serious since he's useful in two (optional three) chapters at least.

It's for reference, Nino and Tormod both have bad availability. Thing is, Tormod's is even worse and his growths don't help.

Being some kind of weird Jaigen does little to favour him, since any kills he gets are a waste on him. But I suppose since he contributes a bit to early game, 1 is too harsh and I give him a 3 instead.

Edited by DiogoJorge

Fiona: 1/10. Shows up in 1-7 rocking the same strength / speed spread as offensive powerhouses like Leonardo were back in 1-P. Not a good first impression.

Tormod: think 5/10 or 4/10. Good for three chapters where's he's generally one-rounding at 1-2 range (except those 1-8 Bandits because MAN those guys are bulky). Shows up in 4-4 and can help weaken doors with his fearsome Meteor tome.