Rate The Unit - #24 Haar

Since I saw sth. like this about 5-6 years ago, I'd find it interesting to do sth. like this again.
Each day an unit of FE10 is represented to be rated. 
The rating is based on hard mode and a normal run.
I made an own calculation how to determine the score of each unit. You can copy this, but you can also rate everyone individually.

current ranking:

Spoiler
  • Micaiah 6.77
  • Edward 5.63
  • Leonardo 3.75
  • Nolan 7.6
  • Laura 5.38
  • Sothe 9.03
  • Ilyana (transfers) 5.77
  • Aran 4.86
  • Meg 2.01
  • Volug 8.4
  • Zihark 7.05
  • Jill (transfers) 9.06
  • Tauroneo 5.78
  • Fiona 2.1
  • Tormod (transfers) 4.28
  • Muarim 6.55
  • Vika 3.38
  • Nailah 8.43
  • Elincia 7.9
  • Marcia 7.34
  • Leanne 7.5
  • Nealuchi 5.13

Day 1: Micaiah
level 1 light mage
personal skill: sacrifice
affinity: darkness

bases / growths
HP: 15 (40%)
strength: 2 (15%)
magic: 7 (80%)
skill: 8 (40%)
speed: 7 (35%)
luck: 10 (90%)
defense: 2 (20%)
resistence: 4 (90%)

bases 4.5 / 10 (30%)
Her base level is in average three leveles lower than the enemies. At least in the prologue no generic can orko her which will change in the Next chapter if she has leveled either HP or defense.

growths 6.5 / 10 (20%)
Her growths are fitting for her class she will become a powerful range weapon user and good staff user later on thanks to her high magic. With her mediocre speed she won't be able to double (even with resolve if her speed is low). Sine her magic and resistance are capped fast her speed ban be fixed with bexp.

ease of use 7 / 10 (50%)
Since Micaiah is a fragile and slow she belongs in the second row. In earlygame she's the best chipper and can oneshot early game bosses. In part three she'll be mainly busy with healing. She fulfills the role of the classical mage perfectly. The fact that she's a lord and is being killedis a minor issue but justified by her class. Still a bit more speed would be nice.

Sacrifice is a pseudo-healing skill. Unfortunately with her low HP she can't heal all that much, but it's still good to have in emergency cases.. And it gives her the opportunity to make use skills like wrath or resolve.
Darkness is a good affinity for sure. It increases her attack power and her supporting unit benefits from Evasion. Her default Support with Sothe is really useful.

overall 6.15

Edited by Hecatia Lapislazuli

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Ginko said:

Tomorrow please do Edward. I love him so much. Best Trueblade in my opinion.

I 2nd this and then some. My first couple playthroughs of FE10 I did not use Edward much, but then......I realized the power that is Trueblade Edward. Edward has even come close to killing Ike believe it or not.

Making Micaiah a mage lord was I think a very interesting idea however there are a couple things that I think hold Michaiah back. 1) Very low HP even for a Mage had she been given more HP and maybe a better HP growth the player could have utilized her Sacrifice skill more. 2) She does not face units that emphasize her potential. Most lords are immediatly thrust into a situation that emphasizes their strength. Sword lords go against axe users, lance users against sword guys etc. And new units in general are treated this way. Micaiah should have been put up against maybe Dark Mages seeing as she's a Light Mage. 3) Lack of speed. Michaiah's lack of speed means she both has very low avoidence and it will be a LONG TIME before she double anything. And seeing as she's already really frail this puts her in a really bad spot. I really think they should have given her better speed ESPECIALLY when Light Magic is the weakest.

the RTUs from 5-6 years ago was kinda giving those running them some burnout.

Micaiah gets a 7/10 from me. She's squishy and slow as fuck, but Thani is great, and she can make use of Resolve in some situations. While she seems useless in casual runs, the efficiency/ltc based crowd turned her into a glass cannon type resolve user.

The rating system seems a little complex to my tastes. It also seems to evaluate things that aren't very relevant, or the weighing of them seems a little.

But then that's just me. Do you do these by yourself, or is this a community thing like the last one? Either way, sparking some sort of real discussion for this game is always fun.

1 hour ago, Czarpy said:

efficiency/ltc based crowd turned her into a glass cannon type resolve user.

...in theory, anyway. At least assuming luck is a factor. You can't really rely on 35% Spd growth to kick in and double; even in NM (I recall her needing like 10 Spd by 1-6-1 to double Knights).

Micaiah is a very polarizing unit, specially compared with other lords that (almost) always try to be jack-of-all-trades, Micaiah enjoys the her own strenghts and weakness for the way she is decided... She is a poor unit to use brainless because of his extremely low bulk, and her spd that with each chapter feels slower and slower.

But Micaiah can be used very effectily thanks to the usage of Sacrifice and Thani; Thani it's her main weapon to do destruction, even against non-Armor Units she can do some decent punches in the player phase.

Sacrifice can be used to heal sleep and silence (which can be useful in the End Game), and to activiate some powerful skills combos with Resolve (20/1 Micaiah with Resolve and Thani can double and kill Tigers... freaking Tigers).

Also, using Staves is great utility, and Micaiah has free access to C Rank (the Physic Rank) just after finishing Part 1.

A solid unit, but one that must be used carefully, because anything that isn't magic it's able to kill her... and that is a game over.

6/10.

@Oz ♠
As I mentioned in the OP this given rating system is how I'd rank the characters. Everyone can do it the same way or a complete different way. My scoring calculation is just an example. I might fix / add / simplify mine later if I got an idea.
My target is to be a bit more exact than in the last discussion over a year ago.

@everyone
I wanted to make one thread per character everyday as in the last similar project to give people a chance to comment / rate afterwards.
I know it would make about 70 threads in total, but it'd be easier to follow this.

If someone here or a mod might have a problem with that, I'll let them merge.

Since people are following this thread already, I'll let decide it via a poll.

39 minutes ago, Oz ♠ said:

The rating system seems a little complex to my tastes. It also seems to evaluate things that aren't very relevant, or the weighing of them seems a little.

But then that's just me. Do you do these by yourself, or is this a community thing like the last one? Either way, sparking some sort of real discussion for this game is always fun.

...in theory, anyway. At least assuming luck is a factor. You can't really rely on 35% Spd growth to kick in and double; even in NM (I recall her needing like 10 Spd by 1-6-1 to double Knights).

oh yeah

that's what makes using her kinda fun to use if that growth does kick in.

But once she caps magic/res, then you can attempt to use bexp to kick up her speed.

I don't really have a fancy formula to rank units so I'll just go by heart. Also I'll try to break up my opinions on Micaiah based on the parts of the game she's available.

Part 1 - Micaiah is one of the only units capable of fighting at range and is a pseudo healer because of sacrifice. Edward and Nolan are tanking in the early game so it's up to her and Leonardo to chip for them because they'll get destroyed by the enemies. Despite this she'll still be useful because of magic damage and sacrifice. She'll be capable of oneshotting mounts and armor bosses and is able to 1v1 the mage bosses without issue so she actually serves a role as a boss nuke better than probably any other lord. The only boss who should give her trouble is Jarod and you have the Black Knight to take him the first time and the rest of your units should be trained well enough for round 2 with him.

Part 3 - After her forced promotion Micaiah's got staves and is instantly better than Laura, who in the times I've played this game never broke level 10 to even early promote. She becomes the primary healer of the team and her staff ranks should increase pretty quickly since she's able to use mends and physic staves upon promotion. Sadly she falls off as a combat units since she's busy healing every turn and even when she can fight her low speed leaves her unable to one round without resolve. The fact that she can only use light tomes also hurts since the Dawn Brigade would appreciate a member who could use fire magic on the beasts.

Part 4 - Micaiah will get to see some more combat since the army merge and reorganization means she might not be the only competent staff bot and the desert map she's stuck with makes her one of the most mobile of her army for it. Come End Game I find Micaiah is once again a walking staff, but also the best walking staff. Her enormous amount of magic gives her a huge physic range. The enemies at this stage of the game have a stupid amount of res for physical classes so she and other mages typically fall off because of the lackluster might of tomes including the "legendary" tomes and there poor speed caps leaving them incapable of doubling some enemies. The most combat I see Micaiah engaging in at this point is pulling off some chip with a blessed purge tome to help somebody else get a kill.

Micaiah overall is a pretty limited character, but one that I find really fun to use. She's my best staff bot and even if she wasn't forced deployed would have a spot on my team for great support utility and being one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters. I give her an 8/10.

28 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

oh yeah

that's what makes using her kinda fun to use if that growth does kick in.

But once she caps magic/res, then you can attempt to use bexp to kick up her speed.

By the time that does happen, it'll likely be late in Part 1. Like, actual endgame...

Not that she needs it, though. Her utility as a character in Part 1 comes in having a Prf tome that allows her to oneshot at least one of the toughest enemy types, as well as a half the bosses. Healer-like is a bonus, and it helps her oneshot most other things once she gets in Wrath range.

By Part 3 onwards, she's likely to stay as an extra healer or can still somewhat pull off the Sacrifice + Wrath to one and try to stay relevant in combat, but there isn't too much beyond that.

Edited by Oz ♠

...Gotta say I enjoy Micaiah both as a character and as a unit...

Flavor-wise; I find it so refreshing that FE:10 departs from the usual tropes of the heroic lead and gives us a squishy support unit as our first main lord. 

She's squishy. There's no way around it. She will get one-shotted if you put her in range of pretty much any competent physical enemy in the game. Nevertheless; the game gives her everything she needs to be successful.

• Thani lets her comfortably one-shot otherwise super-durable armored knights in Part 1 
  • Sacrifice + Pargaon lets her gain plenty of experience and cap at lvl 20 before her plot-promotion at the end of Part I, without exposing herself to frontline combat, or stealing kills from other low-level units in the Dawn Brigade that also need to be grabbing experience to stay viable later in the game. (Micaiah being the prime candidate for the Paragon skill in Part 1. Other unpromoted units in her party don't have the capacity to learn it, and the prepromoted units in her party don't get enough EXP gains in combat to effectively use it)
  • Using sacrifice to heal a wounded unit and then healing the sacrifice damage off of micaiah with Lara or w/e basically throws a multiplier on the amount of experience you get from heals--very nice.
  • She immediately gets C-Rank Staves when she promotes and can start off using Physic in Part (good staffbots are always a useful thing to have)
  • The game gives her access to Physic + Purge at exactly the point in the story when she needs to start functioning as a long-range support unit, and she uses them to great effect 
  • Going into the endgame: she will usually cap out magic, luck, and res early enough that the forced 3-stat gains from Bonus EXP level ups can then be used to patch up her HP and Speed.

FE10 healers in general are shit (i.e. Lara. Mist.), and Micaiah grows into one of the better ones. (with armorslaying utility to boot)

8/10. Underrated unit.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

I'll give her a conservative 6.5. I figured she might actually be better in HM compared to NM since she's more useful relative to other units with less investment (which is stingier in HM). Staff utility with high MAG by default makes her pretty useful, immediately after the point where her combat niche no longer is needed (killing armors). Also a decent resolve or wrath candidate due to high ATK and Sacrifice (There are likely better candidates for those but the plausibility of it is definitely a plus for her). Immediate A support with Sothe also makes him even stronger which is nice early on.

Loses a point overall since as with any mage, she has low move, which is generally the main issue with Tellius mages. It means that in maps like 1-E she really isn't doing much of anything. And in terms of being a combat unit, her late T3 promotion really hampers her if you want to focus on that side of her (least with someone like Ilyana, you could get a really good late Part 3 or 4 performance if you really wanted to invest in her, while Micaiah will plateau no matter what -- not to say she isn't better than Ilyana due to being a lot more viable with low investment, just a point against her). Paragon in part 1 does help to a degree however, so she isn't too taxing to invest on early on at least.

CH 3-13 also pigeon-holes her into a healer which is also worth mentioning. Which truly isn't that bad since healing is always appreciated, but once again, makes it more difficult to justify giving her a lot of investment.

5 hours ago, Dunal said:

I'll give her a conservative 6.5. I figured she might actually be better in HM compared to NM since she's more useful relative to other units with less investment (which is stingier in HM). Staff utility with high MAG by default makes her pretty useful, immediately after the point where her combat niche no longer is needed (killing armors). Also a decent resolve or wrath candidate due to high ATK and Sacrifice (There are likely better candidates for those but the plausibility of it is definitely a plus for her). Immediate A support with Sothe also makes him even stronger which is nice early on.

Loses a point overall since as with any mage, she has low move, which is generally the main issue with Tellius mages. It means that in maps like 1-E she really isn't doing much of anything. And in terms of being a combat unit, her late T3 promotion really hampers her if you want to focus on that side of her (least with someone like Ilyana, you could get a really good late Part 3 or 4 performance if you really wanted to invest in her, while Micaiah will plateau no matter what -- not to say she isn't better than Ilyana due to being a lot more viable with low investment, just a point against her). Paragon in part 1 does help to a degree however, so she isn't too taxing to invest on early on at least.

CH 3-13 also pigeon-holes her into a healer which is also worth mentioning. Which truly isn't that bad since healing is always appreciated, but once again, makes it more difficult to justify giving her a lot of investment.

This kind of details what I said a lot better. That being said, I feel some people might weigh certain things underwhelmingly...for example, since you do agree that her uses relative to others in HM make her solid, she probably scores lower because she isn't doing too much beyond Part 1 and her healer role in Part 3 (which is no slouch, considering how Tigers can 2HKO even your toughest guys). It reminds me of Sothe, in a way. He loses a significant amount of steam past Part 1, but then his contribution is unparalleled.

I tried to simplify my Rating System. Maybe it's better.
I'll fix Micaiah's rating later.

Edward
level 4 myrmidon
affinity: light
skill: wrath

bases  (growths)
HP: 19 (85%)
strength: 7 (60%)
magic: 0 (5%)
skill: 11 (65%)
speed: 12 (60%)
luck 8 (50%)
defense: 5 (35%)
resistance: 0 (25%)

bases 5.5 / 10 (30%)
His bases are absolutely alright  to carry Micaiah through the prologue. He can double each bandit aside of 1-2 and boss and can take 2-3 hits (minus boss). But this will change in the upcoming chapter where he'll get 2RKO'ed by everyone unless he could get two HP and Defense Points in the prologue.

growths 8 / 10 (20%)
His growths are really good overall. Good speed (even lowest for this class) and high strength growth. Great for a player phase unit.

usefulness 4.5 / 10 (50%)
Edward is probably the unit who suffers the most in the jump from normal to hard mode. While in normal he can constantly double and ORKO enemies, in hard mode his usefulness through the game depends on his growths. He needs strength and especially speed early on to double enemies constantly. His growths are really good on paper, but 60% speed is not enough for him to double constantly. He really needs a lot of levels in the beginning to become a great player phase unit what he is without any doubts. I always use Edward in hard mpde and he always turns out amazing, but this needs a lot of Investment. 
Wrath is rather a suicide skill in this game, especially for a fragile unit as him. It's useful in part 3 with range weapons in PP against the Laguz at least.
Light is like the worst affinity for him. Well, accuracy is useful for inaccurate weapons like range swords, but defense is not good on a PP unit. Actually it's possible with +3 Defense to take two hits under certain circumstances. If Edward has good defense, he could be used as a semi enemy phase unit. 

overall: 5.5 / 10

Edward suffers the most in HM out of any unit. His ability to keep his momentum and remain relevant often boils down to doubling enemies to have serviceable offence and to also dodge axe users. Unfortunately, both of these aspects are hampered quite a bit. Missing +SPD on a level early on could mean he's no longer doubling, and giving him investment to rectify that is much harder here (he's highly reliant on investment to be/remain decent which is heavily contested and more limited in HM). Wrath kills can easily create room for another enemy unit to attack him as well, which will lead to his death, which limits his enemy phase as well. The upside is that at least he can combo it with Resolve.

He has good growths but he really doesn't end up any better than other Swordmasters since cap-ramming is so easy in this game (so growths ultimately don't matter too much here, especially on a unit with low bases). By the point he starts to shine, many other units can also be super good including his alternatives. Beyond stats, Zihark has the incredible Earth affinity and less reliance on investment/resources, and Mia gets a lot more availability -- if you're strictly talking about performance in Part 4.

There are certainly other units that are more difficult to use but he's incredibly reliant on immediate resources and/or lucky RNG to get going. And when when he does, he's just another Zihark with potentially a lot less avoid.

He would be 7/10 on normal but on HM he honestly drops to a 5/10 IMO. Momentum in performance is really important in FE and while in NM he can steadily contribute and be good even in the early game -- he's such a flimsy unit in HM where even someone like Leo is less reliant on investment to be fairly useful (such as having beastfoe/bowgun in part 3).

I'll go with 5.5/10 since he does have the Prologue, I suppose.

Edward once I realized his potential and started using him usually starts out on the meh side but give him room to grow he will not dissapoint. He is usually in my top 3 when it comes to the Dawn Brigade. However as has been said already on Hard Mode he suffers the most and a lot of this is due to his durability or lack thereof but part of it is that the weapon triangle bonuses are missing so he's less likely to dodge Brigand attacks, on the plus side he can reliably attack soldiers but, yeah the lack of weapon triangle bonuses really hurts Edward. He can still be used to good effect and should be able to promote by the end of Part 1 if not before even without utilizying Bonus EXP however you will need to be careful where you put him or send him even more so than Normal Mode. I'd probably give him a 5/10 rating since he can grow to quite the threat but his bases are a little meh and Hard Mode changes probably hit Edward the hardest out of all the Dawn Brigade members. A lot of Edwards shortcomings like low def. and average HP are also true of myrms in general so there's not really much that could be done to Edward without changing the structure of his class. 

Edward

Part 1 - Edward is one of your only front line units for the beginning of the game and using hard mode as the benchmark he is probably one of the most problematic of your units. He's two shot by everything and this really works against his wrath skill which could cause him to kill an opponent and leave himself open for another attack, which causes a game over in the first four chapters. He's also the most dependent of all your units on level ups to become decent. He's not really worth the effort to train when the game gives you Zihark as a prepromoted swordmaster.

Part 3/4 - Since Edward's a growth unit his performance in the rest of the game is really dependent on whether or not you continued using him. There isn't really a reason to bench him in favor of Zihark since there's no limit on characters in a class being deployed and in comparison to some of the other growth units in the Dawn Brigade Edward is one of the better investments. His better growths may even have him outdo Zihark in time. He gains Caladbolg as a personal sword which while sporting impressive stats gives him a worthless boost to his luck stat while Nolan and Leonardo's personals give them def and spd.

In Summary Edward is the typical early game growth units with shaky bases, but the best growths of any unit in his class. Given that Radiant Dawn is a game where everyone is going to ram their caps and Edwards also starts lower than others doesn't really mean much. The Trueblade line is a pretty decent class in Radiant Dawn with the introduction of 1-2 range swords and the class line having better stats to proc offensive skills like adept, vantage, and astra a lot more than other classes. Along with two SS swords available for use means he may be worth training for the game. In the end Edward isn't that fantastic of a unit and while he's fun to use I have to give him a 6/10.

Edward is polarizing units, and depends a lot of his first levels being actually good; because other-wise the game will start to snowball hard against him, because he can't dodge tank axe units now... Edward is technically a strong unit with dedication because of his overall good growth in everything that is useful in him, but well, he's very RNG depends before he becomes a Trueblade.

5/10

#3 Leonardo
l
evel 4 archer
skill: cancel
affinity: water

bases / growths 
HP: 17 (60%)
strength: 8 (40%)
magic: 0 (15%)
skill: 12 (75%)
speed: 10 (35%)
luck: 10 (65%)
defense: 5 (35%)
resistance: 4 (55%)

bases 5 / 10 (30%)
His bases aren't terrible for his level and class. In the prologue he can take two hits at least and has even a higher damage output than Edward. But after that his perfomance will change guickly.

growths 2.5 / 10 (20%)
His growthrates are absolutely disappointing. His strength and speed are <=40% which is an absolute disaster for a PP unit. His only good growths are skill and resistance, but even then with his low HP he'll have his issues to tank two hits by mages. And with his low speed he won't be able to ORKO any mages, much less oneshotting with a forged bow.

usefulneess 4 / 10 (50%)
Despite he's not a good combat unit, it's still not hard to use him. He's like Micaiah, only weaker, but able to take one hit in most cases
at least . If he had access to a brave bow in part 1, his perfomance would be a lot better since he could freekill mages. The chapters where he C#can shine are the ones which feature ledges (1-5, 1-F) and 1-6-2. The iron longbow which is buyable in 1-5's shop is useful for him imo since no one aside of Sothe Can normally ORKO anyone of the enemies with phyiscal weapons from the ledge. Even if Leonardo's stats are not good, he will become better in combat when he gets Lugnasadh. The +5 speed changes his perfomance significantly. If he reaches 15 speed - which is not impossible - he could double tigers at least. In part 3 he's a welcome addition since you're a rare (out) of range weapon users.
Leonardo comes with cancel, a good skill, but worthless on an archer. It can be useful in certain situations to chip a hand axe or javelin user with the hope to avoid damage, but that's it. It's better for a PP unit like Edward or Nolan.
Water is not bad since it increases his damage output. The extra defense is pointless on him, but useful for any Close combat unit like Edward. Edward x Leonardo is the favored support for me. Fire would be the perfect affinity for Leo.

overall 4

Super late on this one. Sorry

Leonardo

Part 1 - He's an archer. He does chip. There's not much more to say. He possesses the cancel skill which is situational at best to keep on him. Leonardo will have his moments if he's on top of a ledge so he's one of my preferred units to take care of the reinforcements that come from the bottom of the endgame map. He's unlikely to get hit unless biorhythm works against him and he can get a decent number of kills on enemies completely defenseless against him.

Part 3/4 - He, like many other units, can make use of the beastfoe skill once promoted to pretty much oneshot laguz enemies. Although this is better used on a frontline unit like Aran, Nolan, Jill, Zihark, a trained Edward, just anybody else really. He does obtain the Lughnasadh, which is a fantastic bow that gives a +5 to his speed and can even work his mediocre speed up to the point that he can double. He also has the highest potential res out of each potential marksman so he could do well against the magical enemies of endgame.

In Summary Leonardo is a mediocre at best unit with tough competition from other archers for the SS rank bow and within the Dawn Brigade he's competing with much more solid units at base and the king of growth units; Edward for the limited experience going around. He's the only dedicated ranged fighter left on the Dawn Brigade in part 3, for what that's worth. I'll field him to do okay chip on enemies or plug a ledge opening, but he's just not impressive. He gets a 3/10 from me.

Edited by Modamy

The arguements people make regarding Edward's jump from NM to HM is actually very understandable, to an extent. While I can really agree that's detrimental, it's only a part of raising him as a unit. Unlike people like Sothe whom 90% of their worth is basically Part 1, I find the opposite in Edward, and find that he's one of the more outstanding ones. The only person of the Part 1 trainees (1rst tiers) I feel beat him is Jill. Characters like Nolan & Aran still have to carry their weight just to train and try to be relevant in subsequent Parts 3 & 4. They actually require their fair share of investment to do their job in Part 3 (which is to tank). Nolan needs at least an Angelic Robe + Dracoshield if he wants to succesfully take hits from a Tiger or two; and Aran's shine is basically summed up to the same job and becoming irrelevant past that (meanwhile, both of them don't really do much in Part 1).

Wrath + Resolve Edward with an Earth support and his Prf (+8 Luck) is an absolute madman. Alonside Jill, they're the only ones that can mollywop 3-12 & 3-13 in low turns (not that turns matter for their ranking; but it could be of added value).

Long story short, I feel people are placing too much emphasis on Edward's shaky start and "too much investment", when in reality, he actually pays off. Most of his investment is basically access to kills, and one of the two Robes + Secret book for better BEXP slowplay (bringing up Str + Spd, I think). Jill isn't automatic God Tier when she arrives; she still needs to work up to it.

I give him an 8.

On 7/6/2018 at 10:43 AM, Dunal said:

He has good growths but he really doesn't end up any better than other Swordmasters since cap-ramming is so easy in this game (so growths ultimately don't matter too much here, especially on a unit with low bases). By the point he starts to shine, many other units can also be super good including his alternatives.

The DB's only 3 chapters is actually worth significantly, since they're also a lot harder than the GM's chapters. Dudes that can take two hits from Tigers matter, since it means they can live longer and rout faster.

I quoted your comment in regards to cap-ramming. It's not uncommon to see, but not so much that you'll see it as easily throughout the game. It's a lot more promiment past Part 3. Growths do matter, and they aren't put aside just because you can BEXP a few stats up 3 levels before 20...early promotions are still a thing.

#4 Nolan
level 9 fighter
skill: nihil
affinity: earth

bases / growths
HP: 29 (60%)
strength: 12 (45%)
Magic: 0 (20%)
skill: 10 (70%)
speed: 10 (60%)
luck: 7 (60%)
Defense: 9 (35%)
resistance: 3 (40%)

bases 7 / 10 (30%)
Nolan is the wall in the chapter he joins. He can take normally four hits and weaken the enemies so hard to give Micaiah, Edward or Leonardo the kills. In the Next chapter he still Can take 2-3, but he'll turn into speedtrouble, if he has the steel axe equipped. If he doesn't Level either strength or speed till the end of 1-2, a few enemies will double him and lower his durability a lot. His only weakness is his base equipment. The steel axe is too heavy for him and he'll stuck with it till 1-3.

growths 7 / 10 (20%)
Nolan is an untypical fighter. Instead of having high strength he's a high skill and speed growth, His poor strength growth of 45% could turn into a problem for him very early in the game combined with his base equipment (mentioned above). In the longrun his growths are good enough to kick as especially since speed is superimportant for the DB.

usefulness 8 / 10 (50%)
Nolan has a weird curve. He shines in the beginning with his bases, will have a little bad patch till the end of part 1, and will be amazing from part 3 till the end. Nolan is one of only few first Tier DB members who can take more than one hit (except for steel axes), so a welcome addition for the DB. However his player phase is worse than Edward's for having lower speed and worse strength. Despite using stronger weapon types Edward's damage output will match Nolan's, and Edward has access to a brave sword. Furthermore axes are more inaccurate than swords. He defenitely needs a forged iron axe at 1-4 or 1-5. Still he needs less investment to become good than Edward. When he has established a strong support in earth at the beginning of part 3, evasion will cover his low defense and he'll turn into a dodgetank.
Nihil is really good skill overall. Not in the beginning except against Laverton Maybe, but in lategame. And Nolan is defintely endgame material for attacking the auras.
Earth is the best affinity in the game for enemy phases.. He won't have as a high evasion as a trueblade has, but since he's a speedfighter, he'll still get an extreme high evasion later on.

overall 7.5

Tomorrow plaese do Ilyana, the best lightning mage in the game.

I will keep the order of unit's joining time, so she'll be represented in a couple of days.
Also assuming you meant thunder mage.
Well, she's the only real one, so it's not really hard to be best.

Funnily I downvoted Edward by like 1.5 Points with my new rating criteria.
The main thing is that he'll become into the best first Tier player phase unit tied with Jill, BUT it's a big question of luck if he'll turn out amazing or useless.
In the prolouge he needs one strength to finish weaken enemies by Nolan in 1-1 and one speed to double most enemies. And the chance of getting both stats is only 36%. If he only levels one of them, his usefulness will take a massive hit. It's technically possible to give him two levels, but this already says how much effort you much put into him to make him become useful through the entire game. He has good really growths but the time is extremly limited to benefit from them. He must be feeded with tons of kills which already nerfs his usefulness.
Edward becomes usually a top fice unit for me in HM, but I must not deny that I invest A LOT in him.
It's like training Fiona. She became invisible once in a normal mode run simply because I ignored her bases and feeded her with a forged weapon and tons of kills.

Nolan's decent. Pretty good, actually. Among the better DBs, which sadly, isn't saying too much. His bases allow him to perform decently in the lower half of Part 1 (enough to take 2 hits or so), unlike the rest. 2HKO's somewhat consistently. He's one of the few that might be able to survive 2 hits from 3-6 Tigers, given enough investment, which in turn allows him to survive longer to rout. Might take a him a bit to shine and stand out; roughly through Part 4. His endgame potential is one of the better ones, given 35 Spd cap and the aforementioned base Nihil.

I think he suffers from the opposite treatment Edward gets, in which his earlygame is decent but doesn't stand out a bunch Part 3 onwards unless he's somewhat overleveled (which would imply Paragon over Beastfoe, I think?). But don't get me wrong, he's definitely decent.

16 minutes ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

In the prolouge he needs one strength to finish weaken enemies by Nolan in 1-1 and one speed to double most enemies. And the chance of getting both stats is only 36%. If he only Levels one of them, his usefulness will take a massive hit. It's technically possible possible to give him two levels, but this already says how much effort you much put into him to make him become useful the entire game. He has good really growths but the time is extremly limited to benefit from them. He must be feeded with tons of kills which already nerfs his usefulness.

In normal mode he can double constantly, so he's good at any time.

This is what I was talking about. Too much emphasis goes into how bad/mediocre he is in his earlygame, rather than how good he is once he gets a chance to shine (which, like most them, is past Part 1). In retrospect, Nolan is only good in the first chapters because he's the only one after Sothe who can take two hits and 2HKO in return. He can still 2HKO consistently past that, but his durability isn't all that. Most of the Part 1 1rst tiers are still being fed kills until they can carry their own weight towards the end or Part 3.

The "ease of use" as part as a ranking may be a factor, as I can actually see that in terms of what involves the average player. I'll get back to you once I've tried these things out.

Edited by Oz ♠