Idea: Super Smash Bros. goes "Capcom Vs."

Lord_Brand

I recently had this idea that Smash could spinoff into a series of "Super Smash: Nintendo X" titles, akin to how Street Fighter spun off into the Capcom Vs. series. In each Nintendo X crossover, approximately half the roster and stages go to a notable third party with extensive Nintendo history, like Capcom, SEGA, Square Enix, or Konami. This allows for third party characters who would normally never stand a chance of making it into Smash to get their own movesets, with accompanying stages, assist trophies, and such. Imagine Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Shadow, and Rouge joining Sonic, or Proto Man and Bass joining Mega Man. And need I mention the scads of characters Square Enix has to offer between Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Mana, and Chrono, not to mention Tomb Raider (and apparently, Gex)?

I would shoot for rosters of 60-100, with 30-50 going to Nintendo and another 30-50 going to the featured third party, and ideally at least one stage per represented series. The Nintendo half of the roster can vary between titles, ideally tailored to the third party in question. Nintendo X Square Enix would encourage a more fantasy and RPG-focused roster, with Zelda, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Xenoblade, etc. being emphasized more. Geno and Mallow would be must-haves, as the two most memorable characters from Super Mario RPG, and I could see multiple elements from that game making it in as the start of Mario's RPG career. Nintendo X SEGA could have a few more F-Zero reps in acknowledgement of the SEGA-developed GX. A theme of rivalry could be a fun throwback to the 90s, when Nintendo and SEGA were competitors. Mario and Sonic, Link and Prince Ali (Beyond Oasis), Marth and Max (Shining Force), etc. Nintendo X Capcom could have characters from the Oracle Zelda games and Minish Cap, like Vaati.

Furthermore, certain characters' movesets could be tweaked based on the game; Mario, Peach, and Bowser could get moves inspired by the various Mario RPGs in NxSE, while in NxC Link gets some Oracle items like the Slingshot/Seed Shooter and Roc's Cape, and Toon Link gets Minish Cap items like the Gust Jar and Cane of Pacci. Link and Zelda in NxC could even be designed after their Oracle incarnations, and Ganondorf could use his scrapped Oracle design.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 4:42 AM, Lord_Brand said:

In each Nintendo X crossover, approximately half the roster and stages go to a notable third party with extensive Nintendo history, like Capcom, SEGA, Square Enix, or Konami.

All Konami has is Snake, Simon Belmont, Contra dude and Bomberman. Who are the rest of Konami's characters going to be? Pachinko machines?

Don't forget Goemon and Suikoden.

Way I look at it, if a third party has lower variety of franchises, it can offer greater quantity from each of those franchises. Mario gets multiple reps; why can't Castlevania or Metal Gear? Castlevania in particular has not only Simon Belmont, but also Dracula, Alucard, Cornell, Soma Cruz, Shanoa, and many other candidates. Goemon could be joined by Ebisumaru, Yae, and Sasuke. Metal Gear has Meryl and various boss characters like Grey Fox, Sniper Wolf, Psycho Mantis, etc.

I'm working on some lists for new reps I'd like to see, though there is some overlap on the Nintendo half, like Ghirahim in Square Enix, Wolf Link & Midna in Capcom, and both in Konami.

Edited by Lord_Brand