How will you use the new favourite system

Garlyle

First glance the whole menu after the update felt weird, but I actually liked it. It makes it more straightforward, catalog of heroes and hero merit list is under the allies menu where it should be, etc.

But now that I can categorize my favourite, this feels like a difficult decision how to utilize. Also being organizing them with different number of favourite is a weird choice, I miss the option to name those favourite groups.

So how are you guys going to utilize this new feature? I want to hear some ideas.

I never really used the original favourites system really, other than to mark low-rarity units that I plan to eventually promote. With the new one I'll probably just do movement types to start with, put all the useful Horses in one group, etc. The old method of sorting by Move Type was pretty worthless so this is better than nothing, plus it filters out units I do not want, such as my -atk Luke and Roderick.

Right now I'm only using 5 of the favorite categorizations:

• Favorite 1: All of the originally favorite-ed units, minus the ones I changed the colors of. I might remove these eventually, but I don't really plan on it right now.
  • Favorite 2 (because I thought I was just going to go 1-5 before I noticed I didn't really like the color of 3): Arena Scoring-optimized Earth, Wind, and Water teams, plus a Fire team.
  • Favorite 6 and 7 (because I like the colors): 1 Earth, Wind, Water, and Fire team.
  • Favorite 5 (because I like the color more than the rest of the available ones): 1 Earth, Wind, and Water team.

Basically I don't want to spend too much time digging around my barracks for AA teams.

I might find a use for all of them eventually.

Edited by LordFrigid

I will not, most likely.

I like my previous sorting system, and I don't really see a reason to change it.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice for people who wanted a way to categorize their favorites. But I like having mine in chronological order, with all of my fodder units un-favorited and at the bottom of the roster.

I could be smart and using them to categorize units in a way that makes sense but I’m just putting heart colors depending on what I think looks nice on that certain unit. Favorite 4 is the exception.

Favorite 4 - units I’m using but have not invested in much because of their fodder.

Hmm, now that I think about it

Maybe I could separate out my seasonal units from my alts and my "regular" units. I could give that a try.

40 minutes ago, Johann said:

That you can no longer sort by favorite is something I don't like.

You can actually, but it's separated from the normal sorting. If you select the heart on the top left, it will bring that group of favourites upfront. Which means you can do all kind of sorts while your favourites will stay on top.

I forget alot of my units ivs, so for a start Im going to use one colour to favorite all +spd another for all +atk, and thinking of using a 3rd for neutral, not sure after that maybe colour co-ordinate units that I use frequently together and just go from that

I wish you could pick multiple favorite colors to filter for simultaneously rather than just one at a time. I've been trying to use it to sort by power level, but it doesn't work well with only being able to get just one rather than a whole range.

Now that I'm dumping blessings onto all my best units for Arena Assault, blessing sort kinda works as an alternative way to filter for them anyway, so I'm not sure what else to do with this.

Not quite sure yet.  The addition of extra favorite categories seems like unnecessary bloat to me.  Two clicks are now required to completely un-favorite a unit -- I know that seems like a petty thing to complain about, but when the process used to be more streamlined, it begs the question of why. 

6 hours ago, Garlyle said:

You can actually, but it's separated from the normal sorting. If you select the heart on the top left, it will bring that group of favourites upfront. Which means you can do all kind of sorts while your favourites will stay on top.

It's not quite the same unfortunately.  With the old system, all duplicate Heroes would be grouped together while also displaying their level, and I can't seem to figure out how to replicate it.  Sorting by rarity would do the trick, if only I could display the units' levels and not the useless rarity stars.

3 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:

It's not quite the same unfortunately.  With the old system, all duplicate Heroes would be grouped together while also displaying their level, and I can't seem to figure out how to replicate it.  Sorting by rarity would do the trick, if only I could display the units' levels and not the useless rarity stars.

You can also turn off the order by favorites, so I'm not sure what is the issue. But will check this after work.

I just categorize them by which are my top favorite characters and which aren't.

Favorite 1: My top favorites, namely any Ikes, Fredericks, Ephraims, Ryomas, male Morgan, and Elincia.

Favorite 2: Any characters I like a lot that aren't the above, such as any female Robins, Kaze, or Sigurd.

Favorites 3-7: Other characters I like and use to varying degrees.

Favorite 8: Characters I use rather frequently, but don't really care about as characters, like horse Chrom or Nino.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, DLNarshen said:

Not quite sure yet.  The addition of extra favorite categories seems like unnecessary bloat to me.  Two clicks are now required to completely un-favorite a unit -- I know that seems like a petty thing to complain about, but when the process used to be more streamlined, it begs the question of why. 

I don't quite follow, but something like sorting by Rarity and Origin should do this, or Rarity, Origin and Level. Putting the eyeball on either origin or level will show the level, so either way works, the latter option just forces the higher level copies first, otherwise I think it might do it by order obtained. Maybe Rarity, (Weapon) Type and Origin for better grouping.

Favorite 8: Favorites in game and other games

Favorite 7: Units I use the most

Favorite 6: Units I like, but may not use them much

Those are the main ones I've sorted. Although I'll probably tweak it up quite a bit.

Favourite 1: A copy of each hero I have, which is the one that has been leveled up or is going to be. 

Favourite 2: Merge copies, such as limited Heroes, Roy, etc.

Favourite 3: Fodder. Keep all the fodder together.

No favourite: Send home

Edited by Javi Blizz

22 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I don't quite follow, but something like sorting by Rarity and Origin should do this, or Rarity, Origin and Level. Putting the eyeball on either origin or level will show the level, so either way works, the latter option just forces the higher level copies first, otherwise I think it might do it by order obtained. Maybe Rarity, (Weapon) Type and Origin for better grouping.

Perhaps a screenshot will help us out here:

Notice that both Ikes and both Lyns are grouped together, level is displayed, and all units are sorted by rarity, color, then weapon type.  Every configuration I've tried so far (including the ones you suggested) will satisfy some those criteria, but not all of them. 

12 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:

Perhaps a screenshot will help us out here:

Notice that both Ikes and both Lyns are grouped together, level is displayed, and all units are sorted by rarity, color, then weapon type.  Every configuration I've tried so far (including the ones you suggested) will satisfy some those criteria, but not all of them. 

Are you using the eye button to the left of the sort criteria? Just going Rarity then Type then tapping the eye next to Type should produce something pretty close to what you used to have, except unfortunately units are in obtained order so my level 1 Bridelyn is showing before my level 40 one.

Unfortunately fixing that last bit requires having four sort criteria, which the game can't do.

Edited by Humanoid

8 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Are you using the eye button to the left of the sort criteria? Just going Rarity then Type then tapping the eye next to Type should produce something pretty close to what you used to have, except unfortunately units are in obtained order so my level 1 Bridelyn is showing before my level 40 one.

Unfortunately fixing that last bit requires having four sort criteria, which the game can't do.

I have been using the eye button, but thus far I've been so fixated on the level display that I did not think to remove it from sorting so as to group like Heroes together.  It seems like Rarity + Type does the trick, thanks!  And yeah, defaulting to obtained order is something the old Favorite sorter did too.  Not much to be done about that I suppose. 

I plan on using the new favorites options to streamline the selection process for Arena Assault runs. I don't have preset teams for the Arena Assault, and, instead, I pick units to counter whatever the enemy has. So I'd like to set up a filter system that will make it quicker for me to find the units I want. However, I'm not completely sure how I want to set it up yet, although I do have a few ideas.

First, I know that I'll be using a color to mark my healers & dancers. And, second, I know I'll continue to use a color to mark units that I might want to promote later that have good natures. That covers two colors.

Now, I have two ideas about how I want to go about organizing the rest. The first idea is to have a color to mark all of my best & most frequently used units. Then, I'd have a second color to mark characters that occupy a specific role very well, e.g., raven mages or someone with a breaker skill I want, and then third color could demarcate a pool of solid units that didn't make the cut for the best, but could still be useful under some conditions. With the remaining colors, I could respectively mark out characters that usually operate Emblem Teams. That would make it easier for me to piece together Flier Emblem or Horse Emblem teams when I want to run those.

My other idea would be to use the colors to mark the most commonly used characters of each color. This also seems like it would be pretty good for me, since it corresponds to how I usually pick the teams. If I go this route, I'd probably use the remaining colors to mark potential Flier or Horse Emblem characters. I don't use Armor Emblem that much, so it doesn't get a color with this scheme.

Those are my thoughts, at any rate, maybe it'll give someone else some ideas. I'm leaning towards the latter option.

Colors used to be determined later:

1 color each for the movement types. Sorting them now would be easier in the long run than having to use the custom sort each time.

1 for SP grinding. My memory is hot garbage so I'm always forgetting who I need to grind for. Sorting like this would make it easy to keep track of them all at once.

1 for 3 and 4 stars with good IVs who I will be holding to the side indefinitely to promote at some time in the future.

1 to set aside units that I use often for challenges and the like.

And the last one's use is up for grabs at the moment.

1: I use it for units that are functional and leveled up and built well.

2: Units that are fully level have some skills and can perform certain niches despite being underdeveloped.

3: Units that are leveled to the max, but still require a lot more development and sometimes any skills before they can become operational.

4. Units that need to be leveled up and will be used.

5. Units I don't know what to do with.

6. N/A

7. Fodder

8. Askr Trio

9 hours ago, Kurrin said:

1 for SP grinding. My memory is hot garbage so I'm always forgetting who I need to grind for. Sorting like this would make it easy to keep track of them all at once.

Oooooh, I should do this too. I'm pretty sure I have a few units to train, I just forgot to look for them. 

Fodders and Merges also sounds good fav option.