Castle Ostia map mash up.

Jotari

Here's something interesting I made way, way, back that I don't think I ever posted here. You visit Castle Ostia several times between Binding and Blazing Blade. I noticed once that the very northern part of Denning's chapter and the very sourthern part of Lilina's recruitment chapter both match up perfectly, with the two stairwell's on the right and a double set of steps leading up to the throne. So I mashed them together with all the other Ostia maps that exist and came up with this.

CastleOstia.thumb.png.2806b3389de3309601419c5a200d268b.png

I think maybe the rest chapter in Blazing Blade is meant to be the same area as in Binding Blade, the forests around the arena are the same, as is it relative position to the vendor and a gate to the north, but it isn't exactly the same and probably could have been without too much issue, so I decided to throw it on the bottom as a connecting part of the village rather than omit it completely. It does lead to a nice idea that the southern entrance that Denning invades from leads to the gate in the rest chapter however. The treasury also probably doesn't lead to the backdoor Hector used to escape (that'd be a little illogical), but the size of the area does conveniently match the treasury.

Not sure if there's much discussion that can be generated by this (it's certainly no Jugdral world map), but maybe some people might find it cool.

Edited by Jotari

I don't think anything but FE6 Ch8 and FE7 Ch31 can be lined up perfectly. There's probably some space between the throne and Ch11H and I'd expect FE7 Ch31x to be in the same place as FE6 Ch7, unless the town really has two areas. They could have remodeled Ostia during the time skip, or a remaster might make 31x more faithful for all we know.

19 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

I don't think anything but FE6 Ch8 and FE7 Ch31 can be lined up perfectly. There's probably some space between the throne and Ch11H and I'd expect FE7 Ch31x to be in the same place as FE6 Ch7, unless the town really has two areas. They could have remodeled Ostia during the time skip, or a remaster might make 31x more faithful for all we know.

I think maybe they wanted to make the two village areas the same, but thought that the armouries were a little too far away from the starting position. Players might feel a but frustrated if they're burning turns to get somewhere, even if there's 0% risk.

There's obviously some room between Chapter 7 and 8 of Binding Blade, but the layout is logical in so far as that's the direction Roy is entering the castle from. And given the Denning makes it look like the main gate is to the south, it's not at all unfeasible that there's a town area down there too. Another possibility is that the rear entrance Hector uses in the first chapter of his story is actually located to the north, and the map is rotated.

CastleOstia.thumb.png.1d2590f80f6df56f3dc254bd63c2c81f.png

It makes a bit more logical sense, but it doesn't fit quite as snugly as the treasury path.

Edited by Jotari

I've been wanting to see something like this put together, but never really bothered to do it myself heh. The back way connecting to the treasury could make sense, but there's obviously a hall or something between them. It's also possible for the back way to connect someway to the left of the small room with the two treasure chests, below the throne. ...And why is there a throne almost outdoors, anyway? It's also possible they remodeled around the arena in the next 20-or-so years.

Matthew and Hector start chapter 11H in the northeast corner of that map, so I think the room in that corner should line up with the door to the room with the big carpet. There's no way they could have gotten through that wall without breaking through it...

Edited by Paper Jam

26 minutes ago, Paper Jam said:

Matthew and Hector start chapter 11H in the northeast corner of that map, so I think the room in that corner should line up with the door to the room with the big carpet. There's no way they could have gotten through that wall without breaking through it...

You're absolutely correct. Hector and Matthew deploy in the exact same space they were standing in the cutscene before (honestly, it's kind of weird they even made an extra map for that conversation). That gets rid of the annoying blue tile coloration I had before and all. Here's a version with that fix along with Dayni's suggestion as to where the carpet room connects to the rest of the castle, it's just one tile short of being perfect (although given this would put the ext roughly in line with the large southern one, the term Rear Exit which they use in game might not be the best way to describe).

Spoiler

CastleOstia.thumb.png.418c0d270891557c804b9a4326e7f215.png

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Titamon said:

Hey TC can you do a mash up of FE6-CH2 and the FE7 FFO (Lloyd) map? I believe those battles are supposed to take place in the same area as well.

Those ones do indeed map up, it's made pretty obvious, basically fan service. The Ostia map is more subtle about things as there's only like three overlapping tiles. I suppose for the sake of completion I'll include it anyway.

Spoiler

TempleOfSeals.thumb.png.f05e3f86df1c6bbe8fbb175598d12e46.png

There's very good attention to detail on a single forest tile to the north east of the temple, but other than that it's just a load of empty space. Still, I do appreciate that they gave us a new map rather than just rehashing from the previous game, which is more than I can say for Mystery of The Emblem.

The FE6 chapter 2 map and the FE7 FFO (Lloyd) map don't match up perfectly, although they are quite similar. (The castle seems to have been remodeled between games, as it is larger in FE6 than in FE7. And the arena and house near the west edge of the FFO map are gone from FE6 too.)

I'm pretty sure that even though FE7 chapter 28E and FE6 chapter 8x are supposed to take place in the same location, the maps don't match up.

Strangely enough, the FE7 30H and FE6 12x maps don't match up either.

Edited by Paper Jam

47 minutes ago, Paper Jam said:

I'm pretty sure that even though FE7 chapter 28E and FE6 chapter 8x are supposed to take place in the same location, the maps don't match up.

How about FE7 chapter 30H and FE6 chapter 12x?

Nope. Nothing lines up for the Durandal map at all, at least from what I can see. They're completely different. I guess it's just a really big cave network and Eliwood laid it to rest in some other cavern (course it begs the question who built all those bridges in the FE6 map, especially if it wasn't the original resting place of legend).

Hector's maybe lines up. It certainly wasn't designed to, but there's nothing expressly stopping this from being possible aside from a lefthand border to some rock formation.

Spoiler

Armads.png.076011e975805e0cefe6903e43841f82.png

Overall, FE7 wanted to give a bit more gravitas to the resting place of the weapons by having an actual shrine rather than dumping a throne on there. Although now that I think of it, they say Bern was trying to get the weapons, perhaps they had already removed them from their shrines and were in the midst of transporting them out of the cave (can't remember if the text supports that or not, I know it is the case for Murgleis at least). Shame the bosses in FE6 didn't use the weapons, although it's an even larger shame the bosses in FE7 weren't the spirits of the legendary heroes themselves. I would have felt pretty epic taking them down at least.

Oh, and for completion's sake, I decided to throw together the two Nabata Desert maps. I expected to find nothing in common and just put them side by side like Armad's resting place, but to my great surprise, it looks like the entirety of the FE7 map is located within the FE6 map.

Spoiler

Arcadia.png.b89ef17b4b1f1050fcb8f14ea162b862.png

The ridges don't line up perfectly, but using the dragon bones results in several that do line up far too perfectly to be a coincidence (specifically the area around the house, it's easier to see if you fade overlapping layers on Paint.net). However, taking this to be true means, rather ridiculously, Eliwood and co start the chapter already at Arcadia, so I think it was less an intended mash up and more just reusing some minor terrain layouts. Still, pretty cool nonetheless.

Edited by Jotari

I can easily believe that IS would take the chapter 14 map, chop off part of it, edit the grass and the dunes a bit, delete the water tiles, and call it a new map for FE7. But clearly Living Legend wasn't supposed to be anywhere close to Arcadia, and chapter 14 is; the grass in Living Legend marks the border of Nabata, and Arcadia isn't at the border.

Deserts have a reputation for monotony, which is probably why not many people have bothered to compare the maps of chapter 14 and Living Legend.

Edited by Paper Jam

20 minutes ago, Paper Jam said:

I can easily believe that IS would take the chapter 14 map, chop off part of it, edit the grass and the dunes a bit, delete the water tiles, and call it a new map for FE7. But clearly Living Legend wasn't supposed to be anywhere close to Arcadia, and chapter 14 is; the grass in Living Legend marks the border of Nabata, and Arcadia isn't at the border.

Deserts have a reputation for monotony, which is probably why not many people have bothered to compare the maps of chapter 14 and Living Legend.

Indeed, Eliwood is moving west while Roy is moving east. Logically the FE7 map should be some distance to the right of the FE6 map. That was how I planned to arrange them until I noticed the dragon bones were equal distance apart in both games. I guess we've discovered the IS design philosophy for Desert Maps "Minimum effort, the players will think they're shit regardless what we do. Hell put fog of war in there for extra unpleasantness."

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, Paper Jam said:

No way to get through without breaking the wall? Maybe that's why it's so weak in FE6?