Best Ruler

Noni

Best Ruler  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which Royal would you want as your Ruler?

• Rowan
    • Lianna
    • Celica
    • Alm
    • Lyndis
    • Eliwood
    • Hector
    • Roy
    • Lilina
    • Chrom
    • Robin
    • Lissa
    • Lucina
    • Emmeryn
    • Corrin
    • Azura
    • Ryoma
    • Xander
    • Hinoka
    • Leo
    • Takumi
    • Camilla
    • Sakura
    • Elise
    • Mikoto
    • Garon
    • Arete
    • Marth
    • Shiida
    • Minerva
    • Owain
    • Elincia
    • Ramon
    • Micaiah
    • Pelleas
    • Ashnard
    • Sanaki
    • Sephiran
    • Caineghis
    • Skrimir
    • Nailah
    • Tibarn
    • Naesala
    • Flavia
    • Basilio
    • Walhart
    • Say'ri
    • Virion
    • Vigarde
    • Lyon
    • Fado
    • Ephraim
    • Eirika
    • Hayden
    • Innes
    • Tana
    • Gunnthra
    • Fjorm
    • Ylgr
    • Alfonse
    • Sharena
    • Surtr
    • Laegjarn
    • Laevatein
    • Arvis
    • Julius
    • Seliph
    • Zephiel
    • Guinivere
    • Elffin
    • Dheginsea
    • Kurthnaga
    • Veronica
    • Rudolf
    • Berkut

...Damn it...

I wanna say Eliwood. But Marth founded a dynasty that lasted for thousands of years. And was remembered for ages after his death as history's greatest example of the ideal monarch--a strong, heroic, generous, benevolent king, survived by a proud and prosperous people and a bloodline that can claim their love and adoration in perpetuity merely by virtue of being direct decedents of "The Hero-King."  

Gotta give it to Marth. 

It might be more interesting to have a "worst ruler" poll, because I think that one a bit more up-in-the-air....because holy shit...there's some bad ones...

And enough bad ones to make it a real contest.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

11 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

...Damn it...

I wanna say Eliwood. But Marth founded a dynasty that lasted for thousands of years. And was remembered for ages after his death as history's greatest example of the ideal monarch--a strong, heroic, generous, benevolent king, survived by a proud and prosperous people and a bloodline that can claim their love and adoration in perpetuity merely by virtue of being direct decedents of "The Hero-King."  

Gotta give it to Marth. 

It might be more interesting to have a "worst ruler" poll, because I think that one a bit more up-in-the-air....because holy shit...there's some bad ones...

The interesting thing about Marth is that he got mis-characterized at the time in Awakening from a gentle person to a warhero. I guess that the person and legend get blurred. 

Lucina:
I just didn't expect the mighty King Marth to be so...er, nice.

Tiki:
And how DID you imagine him?

Lucina:
The Marth of history led the liberators and smashed the power of evil dragons! He brought peace to the entire world at the edge of a sword. He must've been a fierce, unforgiving man who struck fear in friend and foe alike! How could he not have been, when he was forced to wage such a terrible war?

Tiki:
...I suppose he was unforgiving—at least when it came to himself. He never stopped looking for a way to lead the world to peace. And every victim and sacrifice on that path haunted him...

Dheginsea was a great ruler for goldoa, he was king for well over 700 years (could possibly add one to six hundred years) and was able to effectively reign in a people who are known for their fury, keeping them away from conflict in spite of their nature.

35 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

...Damn it...

Gotta give it to Marth. 

You know what country is also like that? north korea, four generations of constant propaganda in and it's easy to have the people worship your excrement.

I think I figured out the next game's plot Fire Emblem: Exposing the Hero King or Medeus was an inside job.

25 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

The interesting thing about Marth is that he got mis-characterized at the time in Awakening from a gentle person to a warhero. I guess that the person and legend get blurred. 

Except he is

You legitimately can't look at what he did during Shadow Dragon and come into conclusion that he is a warlord. Marth might have been a kind person later on, but Shadow Dragon/FE1 era Marth is definitely a revenge driven warlord who is overeager to prove himself until halfway through the game. Tiki never saw this side of Marth

48 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

...Damn it...

Gotta give it to Marth. 

I've said it before, but had Marth and Caeda become the king and queen of Archanea immediately after the conclusion of Shadow Dragon, a claim he very much COULD have due to being the continent's most loved hero, with Hardin acting as his advisor, Archanea would probably reach a level where Gharnef is unable to do anything with. The Hardin-Marth duo utterly stomps War of Shadows, and it took Hardin 3 years to rebuilt the wreck of Archanea into the greatest state it have ever been when every other kingdom is still under heavy reconstruction. Having both Marth and Hardin on them would be ridiculous

But yeah Eliwood is probably the most realistic answer. He's the only one who we saw actually ruling stuff anyway. Leif had a title specifically because of his prowess as a ruler, but we never saw that

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

#TibarnForPresident

Missing quite a few Jugdral characters. Jamke, Leif, Cuan, Eldigan, Shagall (ha!), Julia, Levin, Hilda (double ha!).

I don't think most of them would even compete lol

Cuan is such a (ha!) its a plot point

2 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

I don't think most of them would even compete lol

Cuan is such a (ha!) its a plot point

On that note, one missing character that genuinely could compete is Travant. He's a tough man, but he genuinely kept his country together and made all the right decisions to ensure it wasn't crushed by the empire while simultaneously managing to seize territories like Tara.

Maybe the poll should be segregated by Continent to keep track of them all and ensure some of the lesser ones aren't lost in a sea of names.

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

You legitimately can't look at what he did during Shadow Dragon and come into conclusion that he is a warlord. Marth might have been a kind person later on, but Shadow Dragon/FE1 era Marth is definitely a revenge driven warlord who is overeager to prove himself until halfway through the game. Tiki never saw this side of Marth

Oh I forgot the part where he got under is banner all the countries that were being invaded to take back is homeland and stop Gharnef. 

Where's Michalis? He was return to becomes the Macedon's ruler again after his sister has been dethroned and he continued to conquered another countries. Based of the country's name : Macedonia, was distinguished ruled by Alexander the Great. Michalis was the darkest version of him in the world of Fire Emblem.

Edited by illegal knight

34 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Oh I forgot the part where he got under is banner all the countries that were being invaded to take back is homeland and stop Gharnef. 

Funny enough while Marth does recruit character from most kingdom, his army kingdom representation is very low. Of the big kingdoms, only Archanea is on his side, and by the time of WoS, its barely a country. he had 2 small kingdoms under him(Aurelis and Talys) and.... thats it.

At least 2 country actually had somewhat negative opinions of Marth by the conclusion of the war

I don't understand how Hector has 3 votes and Eliwood has 2; Eliwood was an objectively better leader than Hector. 

Hector took the throne unprepared and unexpecting to ever be High Lord of Ostia--a position he always believed would belong to his brother and his brother's heirs--when his older brother unexpectedly died young and without (so far as we know) a wife or children. He had no political instincts and no knack for diplomacy. All he knew how to do was fight.

...and when the superior military might of Bern threatened his Kingdom, thats all he did. Fight. There was no statecraft or fallback plan. He failed to take any meaningful action to stop Bern from running roughshod over Lycia.

He didn't even have the political instincts to sort out the loyal retainers from the scumbags and surround himself with good people--literally the second he died, his top retainers were ready to turn traitor and work with the enemy and sell out his daughter and his throne, to service their own ambitions.

...meanwhile in Pharae...

Eliwood is sick to the point of being bedridden and bern is at his doorstep; he's as vulnerable and exposed as he could possibly be. Not a peep of any internal unrest or plots against him--all his men continue to believe in him and stay loyal.

And while all Hector could think to do was stand and fight--It was Eliwood who was cultivating relationships with the Mage General of Etruria. And it was Pharae that ultimately worked out--hey guys; sending our knights into the meatgrinder is great and all, but the best way to not get fucked by bern is to get an alliance going with the Etrurians. I think we have a good enough relationship with General Cecilia to make that happen.    

Edited by Shoblongoo

Did anyone notice you can select multiple people? I did, and took plenty advantage of it.

FE has plenty of perfectionist lords, so it isn't at all arguable any of them would be bad. Still, didn't vote for Marth, or Chrom, or Robin, or Eliwood, or Roy, or Seliph, or Corrin. I did throw a vote to Minerva, out of pity. And almost all of Tellius, barring Ashnard, Ramon, Skrimir (love the guy, but he hasn't had any monarch experience yet), and Tibarn, although I did toss a vote to Hector, Tibarn isn't bad, I just prefer Naesala. And Vigarde and Lyon 'cause why not? Arvis doesn't seem like he'd be the worse conqueror to be subjected to IRL.

1 hour ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

and it took Hardin 3 years to rebuilt the wreck of Archanea into the greatest state it have ever been when every other kingdom is still under heavy reconstruction

I would hazard a guess that while being occupied and oppressed for years was certainly bad for Archanea, that it didn't end up being creamed in battle after battle during the War of the Shadows, gave it the ability to bounce back faster than Grust and Macedon. Archanea still had plenty of young men and husbands, who in Macedon and Grust probably were dead and left a big gaping demographic hole (who did Roger not find a woman when he may have been one of the few datable guys left?).

And isn't the War of the Heroes only a year after the War of the Shadows? Well maybe two-three, depends on how late in 605 the WotS ends and when in 607 the WotH begins. 

19 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

He had no political instincts and no knack for diplomacy. All he knew how to do was fight.

Not exactly, Hector is a brute, but he partly lets his reputation be exaggerated as this. In practice, he is more intelligent than this in FE7.

Spoiler

Hector:
“For generations, our ancestors dedicated themselves to a sort of frugal militarism. Nobles and commoners alike shunned extravagance.”
“Corrupt neither the body nor the mind,” they cried! Since the time of Roland, this has been the dominant ideology of Ostia.

Marcus:
“I heard that when Lord Uther first participated in the Lycian Council as Marquess Ostia, he gave a scathing indictment of the peer system. Now I understand, his philosophy had its roots in the history of Ostia itself.”

Hector:
“That’s right. Yet this thinking… it threatens the lifestyles of many of our aristocrats. So some groups view my brother with enmity. I must grow wiser so that I can sit at my brother’s side and aid him. Of course, my fighting skills are not yet what they should be…”

Servant:
“I’m the steward of Santaruz. With our lord gone, what are we to do?”

Hector:
“First, you give Lord Helman a proper burial. After that…I’m sure the Lycian Council will have to meet. Stay here and defend the castle until you hear more.”

He also perceptive in Chapter 14, noticing the trap of Laus/Erik before Eliwood did. Although Crazed Beast is a chapter wholly caused by his folly (the chapter is plot-filler though).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I vote for Xander.

Unlike some characters on this poll, Xander has trained his whole life knowing that he will one day be the King of a corrupt nation. He's a strong military and political leader according to his supports. Just ignore Revelations.

Its kinda hard to say since the reign of the lords tends to be skipped and they are all said to do a great job in their ending .

So i'm voting Neasalla. He's devoted to helping his poor nation without falling to the extremes Travant does when trying to help his country.

I'll be obscure and go with Tibarn, a strong, but kind and smart leader and rightfully feared for his abilities.

8 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I know it's off topic but in my timeline theory that I believe in, FE 1,2, and 3 are ho aw the history books viewed the event while FE11,15, and 12 respectfully are how they actually happened, and this comes basically from it making sense some characters being forgotten (Ones like Kris, Katarina, Conrad,etc), the better reasoning on the situation in the remakes not being understood in history, as it's made for the general public, and mostly from fe 12, Kris does state at the end that they wish to be Marth's shadow and forgotten from history because Marth was the hero the people needed to idealize despite Marth really relying on the strength of others, also why would the Altean kingdom ever allow the truth of the assassination subplot on Marth to reach general public eyes, as it would make him look bad even though it was by Gharnef. That's just my theory though and is in no way canon though I think it makes sense.

11 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I know it's off topic but in my timeline theory that I believe in, FE 1,2, and 3 are ho aw the history books viewed the event while FE11,15, and 12 respectfully are how they actually happened

FE15 is Fates, which has nothing to do with Marth or Archanea.

On 08/06/2018 at 12:58 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Did anyone notice you can select multiple people? I did, and took plenty advantage of it.

FE has plenty of perfectionist lords, so it isn't at all arguable any of them would be bad. Still, didn't vote for Marth, or Chrom, or Robin, or Eliwood, or Roy, or Seliph, or Corrin. I did throw a vote to Minerva, out of pity. And almost all of Tellius, barring Ashnard, Ramon, Skrimir (love the guy, but he hasn't had any monarch experience yet), and Tibarn, although I did toss a vote to Hector, Tibarn isn't bad, I just prefer Naesala. And Vigarde and Lyon 'cause why not? Arvis doesn't seem like he'd be the worse conqueror to be subjected to IRL.

Nothing stopping you from voting for both. 

OT: I think I voted for Caineghis, Marth, Alm, Eliwood, Hector, Micaiah, Elincia, Pelleas, Sanaki, Deghinsea, Kurthnaga.