Canas - Seeker of Knowledge

BANRYU

latest?cb=20151014150232

Canas: Seeker of Knowledge
A long-awaited character who finally found his way into the ranks of Heroes, Canas proves to have capabilities quite eerily similar to those of his great-nephew, Raigh... which is to say, rather generic and lackluster, differing only from Raigh in the stats department by possessing 1 less Defense and 4 more Resistance. Fortunately, Canas is at least given a more usable base kit and comes available at 5* rarity, which almost makes up for the IV flexibility that he lacks compared to Raigh. Fortunately, there are ways to put both his kit and his stat spread to use with tangible benefits, and if nothing else, he marks a turn in his weapon's accessibility for those who are tired of waiting for Katarina to return to a focus banner. 

5* Level 40 Stats: 
HP: 36
Atk: 32
Spd: 29
Def: 21
Res: 33
BST: 151

Default Skills: 
Weapon: Raudrowl+ 
Assist: Reciprocal Aid
Special: --
A-Skill: HP/Res+2
B-Skill: --
C-Skill: Res Tactic 3

Scholarly Slayer (enemy phase / range tank)
General use, Arena Offense, Chain Modes

Spoiler

Stats: 42 HP | 43 Atk | 29 Spd | 24/21 Def | 35/38 Res

Weapon: Raudrowl+ [Def / Res]
Assist: Reciprocal Aid / Swap
Special: Iceberg / Moonbow
A-Skill: AtkRes Bond 3* / Fury 3 / HP+4 & Res+2
B-Skill: Quick Riposte 2-3 / Dull Ranged 3 / Axebreaker 3
C-Skill: Res Tactic 3 / Atk Ploy 3 / flexible
Sacred Seal: Distant Defense 3 / Defense Tactic 3 / Quick Riposte 3

With his default skills along with the boosts from his owl tome, Canas can easily exceed 40 Res, and can climb even higher with the aid of Res boosts from one of his potential A-slot skills alongside Owl boosts and Distant Defense, capping out at 53 with Atk/Res Bond 3 and an adjacent S-ranked ally. The Bond skill in particular synergizes well with his weapon, letting him get the most bang for his buck; Fury is another useful skill that synergizes well with Owl tomes, further boosting all of his stats and making him a great all-around ranged counter at relatively little cost. While skills like Distant Defense or Mirror Stance can also serve, they are rather costly and do not offer substantially better performance than the superior AtkRes Bond or the cheaper Fury, and even his native HP/Res boost skill comes close enough that they are likely not worth the investment, though they can certainly function well enough. A Res refine for his weapon can pump up his Iceberg damage to ridiculous levels as well as increasing his magic bulk quite a bit, though a Def refine may be preferable to enhance his survivability against physical ranged units, and pairs well with Raudrowl's effect. 

Chances are, the bulk of people using Canas will be using him for his Tempest Trial bonuses, in which case he can be easily spec'd to be a solid resistance tank even without rare and expensive skills; for a flat stat boost, his default HP+Res skill helps his bulk quite a bit, and either Quick Riposte 2 or Axebreaker 3 can be quite useful for him, with the former increasing his enemy phase killing potential and the latter giving him player phase anti-green utility. Dull Ranged is a slightly more costly (albeit not terribly uncommon) option that goes well with Fury and either Distant Defense or Quick Riposte, serving to make him an even better ranged tank against those who rely on boosts (albeit at the cost of either extra resilience or doubling on defense). 

Fangs of Academia (anti-Cavalry)
General use, Arena Offense/Defense

Spoiler

Stats: 38 HP | 44 Atk | 29 Spd | 24/21 Def | 33 Res

Weapon: Keen Raudrwolf+ [Def] / [Cav]
Assist: Reposition / Draw Back / Flexible
Special: Iceberg
A-Skill: Atk/Res Bond 3 / Brazen Atk/Def 3 / Close Counter / Fury 3
B-Skill: Quick Riposte 2-3 / Swordbreaker 3 / Vantage 3
C-Skill: Res Tactic 3 / Flexible
Sacred Seal: Distant Defense 3 / Close Defense 3 / flexible

Red is actually a decent color for an anti-cavalry unit to be, as barring Sir Tinyhands himself (Reinhardt), the number of prominent blue cavalry threats has somewhat dwindled in Arena meta, largely giving way to the other colors, and much like other Red mages Canas can run a Keen Raudrwolf build to capitalize on this, specializing against these foes on either offense or defense. With a Defense refinement, he can perform fairly well with Close Counter alongisde a Close Defense seal, hitting a passable 30 Def when attacked, though otherwise he is best off using skills that increase his offense on both turns; Braezn Atk/Def is a fine example that pairs well with Vantage for preempting ranged cavalry with greatly-boosted effective damage, though Atk/Res Bond does well on this build as well.

Failing the availability of any of these expensive skills, Fury or any other skills that boost his offenses during both phases will do well for his ability to KO cavalry on offense or defense. His B-slot and Seal skills are quite flexible for the most part, though the listed skills are the most highly recommended, depending on what threats he is needed to deal with. 

Edited by BANRYU

Thinking about splitting off Close Counter into its own build (with either Wolf or Owl as weapon options) but for now, dat boi done like dinner. 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I have an offensive Bladetome Canas build that has Ploy utility as a plus.

I'm all ears if you wanna give me the specs bro.

@BANRYU Here's the specs of my Bladetome Canas build

tumblr_inline_pa1p18acuk1qgv87x_540.png

29 SPD for me is "Darting Blow" tier, which I also did to my +SPD/-RES Cecilia. You can replace Moonbow with Glimmer as it scales damage with the Bladetome bonuses. SPD and RES Ploy are there to ruin someone's day because Canas; while similar to Raigh is better at ploying stuff at base.

Canas shines in a Tactic buff team given it replicates the absurdity attained by Emblem buffs; assuming he gets all four Tactic buffs, that's a +30 boost to his damage. If he initiates with full Tactic buffs, you are looking at 76/41 offenses. Add +5 to SPD if he's attacking a SPD Ploy victim or +5 ATK if he's taking down a RES Ploy victim. Assist can be either Draw Back or Reposition.

You can replace the seal with +3 SPD if you want additional speed or replace SPD Ploy with another C-passive if you wish it.

Edited by Frosty

Personally, with his low speed, I'd go the route of letting him do what all great units do in FE7; Wait & Bait (tm).

It's a pricey build, but a +res Candelabra with Atk/Res ploy and Dull Ranged give him enormous magic tanking potential. Assuming the Atk Ploy has landed, (or Canas has somehow acquired +1 to his Res via buffs or perhaps something as silly as a Resistance+1/2/3 seal), he can survive a +10 +Atk Deathblow Reinhardt running QP Moonbow. The Dull Ranged counters the staple of Hone Cavalry on long distance Reinhardt swarms, and with Blades being completely juked on, there's literally nothing magical to worry about. Sure sure a Goad or Drive or Spur results in Canas dying though, in the aforementioned Rein scenario, but why are you bringing a +0/+1 Canas to battle +10 Reinhardts?

image.thumb.png.1dcee552759aba66d90d7bda45fdf32b.png

The interesting thing here is that classic Fury + Candelabra w/ Res gives him a +8 Res boost on enemy phase which is hard to find worthless. His speed is bumped up to a level which isn't all that threatening, but it's a relatively safe-from-magic speed, as the fastest tomes tend to be green (Ninos) and with his huge bulk, he's relatively safe.  

It's not perfect, as it doesn't give him much of a melee presence, but 26 EP defense and 34 EP speed is alright, given the slew of units that aren't exceeding 38 speed for a safe double outside of goads/drives, and if they're driven, you can be driven to offset. 

I don't find as much value in letting Canas buff the team, but rather debuff the enemy, as your other core units likely aren't going to be running ultra mega high res for ploys unless you're running a mixed non-tactics team, bringing in the likes of Est for Def ploys and such. It's a pricey, but functional build, and gives him a strangely successful amount of bulk against noted magic that sits in the meta.

Edited by Elieson

@Elieson Might Mirror Stance be a good alternative to Fury? It gives him that +1 res you mentioned without the kickback and 36 res is still quite solid for ploying. His speed doesn't get helped, so not sure if that's worth the tradeoff or not.

Edited by bottlegnomes

@Elieson His default Raudhrowl does pretty much the exact same thing as Candelabra. Refined Raudhrowl+ with 1 adjacent ally is only -1 Atk compared to Candelabra and with 2 adjacent allies is +1 Atk and +2 to all other stats (which can also supply the +1 Res you need).

36 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

@Elieson Might Mirror Stance be a good alternative to Fury? It gives him that +1 res you mentioned without the kickback and 36 res is still quite solid for ploying. His speed doesn't get helped, so not sure if that's worth the tradeoff or not.

That does help, outside of additional Owl adjacency

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

@Elieson His default Raudhrowl does pretty much the exact same thing as Candelabra. Refined Raudhrowl+ with 1 adjacent ally is only -1 Atk compared to Candelabra and with 2 adjacent allies is +1 Atk and +2 to all other stats (which can also supply the +1 Res you need).

The additional allies gives a higher ceiling but in worst case scenarios not considering debuffs on Canas himself, the +2 Res from candle still offers some of the needed support.

Edited by Elieson

30 minutes ago, Elieson said:

The additional allies gives a higher ceiling but in worst case scenarios not considering debuffs on Canas himself, the +2 Res from candle still offers some of the needed support.

I find two adjacent allies to be pretty standard for enemy-phase Litrowl use (since attack ranges are locally diamond-shaped), hence I'll always recommend Raudhrowl over Candelabra (even before considering the limited availability of Candelabra).

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

I find two adjacent allies to be pretty standard for enemy-phase Litrowl use (since attack ranges are locally diamond-shaped), hence I'll always recommend Raudhrowl over Candelabra (even before considering the limited availability of Candelabra).

Do you run owl teams? I haven't had the luxury of trying one out hands-on yet

40 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Do you run owl teams? I haven't had the luxury of trying one out hands-on yet

I ran Mae for a few Tempest Trials, but that's the extent of my experience for the time being. That said, Tempest Trials usually have worse map layouts than the Arena does for Litrowl usage.

I'm planning on giving both Robins a Close Counter Litrowl build soon, perhaps this weekend, maybe sooner.

Hey all sorry for the delayed responses, I been working at E3 the last 3 days and been utterly wiped when I finally make it home lol. 

On 6/11/2018 at 8:20 PM, Frosty said:

@BANRYU Here's the specs of my Bladetome Canas build

[pic]

29 SPD for me is "Darting Blow" tier, which I also did to my +SPD/-RES Cecilia. You can replace Moonbow with Glimmer as it scales damage with the Bladetome bonuses. SPD and RES Ploy are there to ruin someone's day because Canas; while similar to Raigh is better at ploying stuff at base.

Canas shines in a Tactic buff team given it replicates the absurdity attained by Emblem buffs; assuming he gets all four Tactic buffs, that's a +30 boost to his damage. If he initiates with full Tactic buffs, you are looking at 76/41 offenses. Add +5 to SPD if he's attacking a SPD Ploy victim or +5 ATK if he's taking down a RES Ploy victim. Assist can be either Draw Back or Reposition.

You can replace the seal with +3 SPD if you want additional speed or replace SPD Ploy with another C-passive if you wish it.

Honestly I feel that 29 speed is much too low for Desperation to be of any use, even with darting blow... my bare minimum that I require my Desperation units to hit is 40, otherwise I feel that their speed is too low and it's more worth it to capitalize on the other stats they do better with (in his case, Res). 

I could still see Canas running Blade on a similar build to the other ones posted if he's being run on a team with a lot of Tactic skills, that's absolutely a valid point, but I definitely think he's much better off focusing on his Res than his Spd, which I think is honestly kind of a lost cause for anything besides avoiding doubles. 

On 6/13/2018 at 7:51 AM, Elieson said:

Personally, with his low speed, I'd go the route of letting him do what all great units do in FE7; Wait & Bait (tm).

It's a pricey build, but a +res Candelabra with Atk/Res ploy and Dull Ranged give him enormous magic tanking potential. Assuming the Atk Ploy has landed, (or Canas has somehow acquired +1 to his Res via buffs or perhaps something as silly as a Resistance+1/2/3 seal), he can survive a +10 +Atk Deathblow Reinhardt running QP Moonbow. The Dull Ranged counters the staple of Hone Cavalry on long distance Reinhardt swarms, and with Blades being completely juked on, there's literally nothing magical to worry about. Sure sure a Goad or Drive or Spur results in Canas dying though, in the aforementioned Rein scenario, but why are you bringing a +0/+1 Canas to battle +10 Reinhardts?

[pic]

The interesting thing here is that classic Fury + Candelabra w/ Res gives him a +8 Res boost on enemy phase which is hard to find worthless. His speed is bumped up to a level which isn't all that threatening, but it's a relatively safe-from-magic speed, as the fastest tomes tend to be green (Ninos) and with his huge bulk, he's relatively safe.  

It's not perfect, as it doesn't give him much of a melee presence, but 26 EP defense and 34 EP speed is alright, given the slew of units that aren't exceeding 38 speed for a safe double outside of goads/drives, and if they're driven, you can be driven to offset. 

I don't find as much value in letting Canas buff the team, but rather debuff the enemy, as your other core units likely aren't going to be running ultra mega high res for ploys unless you're running a mixed non-tactics team, bringing in the likes of Est for Def ploys and such. It's a pricey, but functional build, and gives him a strangely successful amount of bulk against noted magic that sits in the meta.

Looks good man, I definitely considered the possibility of Dull Ranged on him but I might have been paying a little too much attention to the sims' kill count (which absolutely doesn't ALWAYS matter I admit, if your goal is to tank then sometimes living is all you need ~w~)... and it's available on a 4* unit as well so it's not too pricey or anything. I can definitely add dull ranged I think.

But yeah I agree with Ice Dragon that the Owl tome stat stacking is probably better than the candelabra (both in terms of inheritance priority as well as outright performance), especially with the Fury boosts since ALL stats get boosted and that's cool right?? If anything, Dull Ranged probably works better than QR for that since (IIRC?) it doesn't have the HP threshold like QR does. 

@bottlegnomes regarding Mirror Stance, based on my testing I actually found that his default HP+4/Res+2 was more useful for him than Mirror Stance IIRC :0 or similar by a narrow enough margin that it wouldn't be worth spending such valuable fodder for it (Atk/Res Bond is definitely better IMO, and it just synergizes really well with Owl tome as well; if being next to folks doesn't suit one's gameplay style then I suppose Candelabra and Mirror Stance would yield better results? But I feel like the higher numbers are worth having even just ONE adjacent ally, and 2 isn't that hard to accomplish either IMO). 

I'll change stuff accordingly on the analysis when I'm slightly less worn out. 

@BANRYU Huh, never would've expected that. I would've thought he'd prefer the extra attack oomph to the extra bulk. That's why combat sims are so great :P And yeah, agreed on the bond skills. They're really good and really easy to satisfy the conditions for. I keep forgetting they exist despite getting a ton of usage out of them on Fjorm and Lucina's refine.

My boi so far. Opted for a speed build for the time for the tempest. Once i get an AtkRes bond, I’ll slap that on him instead. Thinking CloseCombat for anti dragon shenanigans, but idk, longterm it feels meh without the A skill’s stat boosts

A96B049A-7EB5-4894-8596-ACE7F4D57002.png

All right, it's been a while but Canas is updated with mention of Fury and Dull Ranged on the main set.

Since we're sharing as well, here's my Canas that I've been running: 

Screenshot_20180620-090650.png

I was fortunate to get a Sanaki from the bride banner before it ended x3 Owl tomes + Bond skills are seriously The Shit^TM, getting +9 Atk/Res and +4 Spd/Def just from being next to an S-supported unit is no joke. Caps out at +13/+8 when surrounded by pallios, which is just ridiculous.