How high is the experience gain in this game compared to the original Gaiden?

Well, the title is fairly self explanatory, I would say. I got the impression that my units grow far faster then they ever did in Gaiden, even on runs where I try my best to avoid optional encounters.

As a start, I did try to compare how much EXP Alm gets in Echoes Hard Mode compared to Gaiden Normal Mode for killing the very first bandit. With no criticals and every attack hitting Alm requires two rounds of combat in both games to finish him off.

In Gaiden he got 5 EXP for the first round of combat and 15 EXP for the kill in the second round.

In Echoes he got 6 EXP for the first round of combat and 18 EXP for the kill in the second round.

So there is definitely a increase here. But of course that's just one particular scenario. I'm sure that doesn't show the whole picture on how the EXP gain between the games has been changed. So any more information we have on this subject would be appreciated.

Edit: Apparently I am too stupid taking notes. The EXP I listed for the kill in Echoes was too high. It's actually 18. I must have listed Alm's final EXP as the kill EXP by mistake. Anyway, so the gap in the above example is not actually that large as I initially wrote.

Edited by BrightBow

I've heard complaints that its really difficult grinding to level 20, often when people are complaining about echoes dlc practice but also outside that, so it might get steeper the higher in level you go. but then im sure the same is true of the original gaiden anyways, and both games are designed around low level promotion as far as i can tell so it makes sense that the higher level grinding would be more difficult.

I think there is a solid increase overall though, especially at the point of level progression where it matters for most characters.

I've heard that the enemy level increase in Hard mode also carries over to increased experience, whereas in basically every other game higher difficulties give out less experience per enemy while making them higher leveled. 

this only proves what we already, knew gaiden was keeping experience gain low to sell grinding dlc, SoV got it right

Interesting I thought it would be the same or the other way around, lets change the subject about how IS never tried with SoV.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

I must apologize. The EXP gain I listed above for Echoes was too high. I initially mistakenly listed the EXP gain for the kill as 24 but it's actually 18. So it's 15 EXP in Gaiden vs 18 in Echoes. Still a gap but not anywhere near as dramatic as I made it look.

26 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I've heard that the enemy level increase in Hard mode also carries over to increased experience, whereas in basically every other game higher difficulties give out less experience per enemy while making them higher leveled. 

Even if that were the case, the enemies on the first map actually have the same level and stats in both modes.

Edited by BrightBow

43 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

this only proves what we already, knew gaiden was keeping experience gain low to sell grinding dlc, SoV got it right

Interesting I thought it would be the same or the other way around, lets change the subject about how IS never tried with SoV.

What in the world are you trying to say lol

8 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Damn money grabbing NES developers.

18 hours ago, The DanMan said:

That's probably true. I started a normal mode run recently and unlike all my previous runs I had no Seraphim against the Necro Dragon and against Garth Cellica was still two levels short of the Recover spell. Once I'm done with this run, I'll definitely have to make a Hard Mode and Normal Mode run side by side.