Jotari

Blazing Blade: Lords Weapon Patch

Recommended Posts

Couldn't sleep the other night, so I decided to make a patch for this game. Inspired by comments made on this thread. Basically, Lyn now uses bows from the outset and Eliwood uses lances. It's nothing too exotic or anything, in fact, maybe someone has done it before, but eh, thought I'd share. The other big edition is that Darin has been given a Heaven's Seal that you can steal, allowing promotion of one of the lords much earlier. The idea is to make Eliwood and Lyn more interesting to play and hopefully more comparable to Hector in terms of usefulness. I've played as far as Chapter 22 and everything seems alright. The biggest issue is that without Eliwood or Lyn, you're actually wanting for some good sword users (although I also managed to miss Raven as a bandit wrecked Percilla's village, losing me three characters in one go. *sigh* Iron Man runs). The game actually gives you a lot of really good swords during the first half. Although having 1-2 range on Eliwood makes a massive difference (not too sure how Lyn's been effected though, she absolutely rocks for me, but I think I got particularly RNG blessed with her).

Full list of changes.

Spoiler

What Is Changed.

*Lyn now uses bows instead of swords as a lord.
*Eliwood now uses lances instead of swords as a lord.
*Lyn mode tutorial removed (I'm sure we all know how to play the game by now).
*Lyn mode bosses have been given ranged weapons.
*Lyn starts off with the Emblem Bow, which is not effective against flying units, but has 1-2 range.
*The Sol Katti has been transformed into a bow. It retains its stats, including the hit rate.
*The Rapier has been transformed into Reginleif, retaining its stats from The Sacred Stones
*Lyn has been given an extra 2 points of strength and one point of defense to compensate for her limited phase disadvantage (1-2 range Emblem Bow does exist, but it's only for Lyn mode).
*Eliwood has been given an extra point of Con to deal with lances being heavier.
*Durandal has been replaced by Maltet with its Binding Blade stats.
*Sol Kaitti has been replaced by Murgleis with its Binding Blade stats.
*Lyn can uses Ballista.
*Short Bow has 1-2 range. For some reason this caused a glitch on the Nomadic Trooper sprite that froze the game, I've only managed to fix it by making the animation think it's a sword when being used by nomadic troopers.
*SwordSlayer no longer deals effective damage to Blade Lords.
*Darin has been given a Heaven's Seal. A thief is required to steal it.
*Blade Lord has been given Sword Master's critical boost.
*The Uber Spear has become a prf weapon for Vadia. She also brings it to the second encounter where you can recruit her. To compensate the mad stat gains of the weapon, she has lost 1 point in every base stat it affects and -10% growths.
*Aureola no longer has a sacred flash, as it looks like there's only four spots avilable for it. It's not a prf weapon anyway, so screw it.
*Some surprises with the Fire Dragon.

What Is Not Changed.

*Hector. He gets to be plain old normal Hector. He'll still probably outclass the other two.
*Aside from the Lyn mode bosses, there is no change to enemy stats or weapons, so Eliwood will be facing a lot of Weapon Triangle Disadvantage during his first chapter. It's still pretty easy though, even on Hard.
*Dialogue. The plot remains completely unchanged. Lyn received the magical sword Mani Katti like normal even though it's a bow.
*Chapter 28 Eliwood. You still go and get Durandal even though it's Maltet you receive. Maybe if I'm feeling extra motivated I'll replace this chapter and make one for Murgleis...Maybe.
*Map Sprites. I can't draw tiny weapons.

 

Download Link

 

Anyway it's out there, if anyone wants to try it.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing a recolor can't fix!

Anyway, this looks interesting.  Can I assume that Maltet keeps its dragonslaying ability?  If so, I have another terrible idea (thought without Durandal's boost, this might not be possible).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Nothing a recolor can't fix!

Anyway, this looks interesting.  Can I assume that Maltet keeps its dragonslaying ability?  If so, I have another terrible idea (thought without Durandal's boost, this might not be possible).

Maltet and Mugleis keep their dragon slaying abilities, but Durandal doesn't exist. In keeping with FE7, they're also still prf weapons for Eliwood and Lyn respectively. What were you planning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kruggov said:

Wasn't there a lance Eliwood animation somewhere? I don't exactly remember where I saw it, but it's there somewhere.

Yes it is. Forum- resources -search battle animations or something like that

Edit: or 

 

Edited by Street Hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Street Hero said:

Yes it is. Forum- resources -search battle animations or something like that

Edit: or 

 

Any help importing battle animations? I exported Ephraim's animation from The Sacred Stones to use for Eliwood and it came out as a folder full of pngs, but using the import command expects a Battle Animation file type or an FEEditorSeralizedFormat. Not sure how to make that, do I need some kind of software to convert?

EDIT: Ah. I see those drop box links already have the required file types for importing. Very convenient. Still, I'd like to know how to do it just for future reference.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point I'm unsure about. By default, the Sword Slayer deals effective damage against Blade Lords (but not Lyn or Eliwood's normal lord class for some reason, just Blade Lords). Blade Lords still obviously use swords, but because you've been using bows for first tier, Lyn's obviously going to be much more focused as a Bow unit. Should Sword Slayer still deal effective damage against her? And note, the sword slayer targets classes, so it'll always deal effective damage regardless as to what weapon is equipped. If Lyn is packing five bows, a swordslayer will wreck her anyway right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Any help importing battle animations? I exported Ephraim's animation from The Sacred Stones to use for Eliwood and it came out as a folder full of pngs, but using the import command expects a Battle Animation file type or an FEEditorSeralizedFormat. Not sure how to make that, do I need some kind of software to convert?

EDIT: Ah. I see those drop box links already have the required file types for importing. Very convenient. Still, I'd like to know how to do it just for future reference.

In febuilder u can import via feditor format(file with no extension) or febuilder format(text+images file).

If u are unsure, choose "all file" in febuilder - image editor- battle animations - import animation windows. 

That's all i know( I'm no hacker but u should use febuilder because it's easier to modify roms)

About the effective weapon, i suggest using the effective address one-by-one so you can choose the class getting extra dmg but then again i'm no hacker :-S 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Point I'm unsure about. By default, the Sword Slayer deals effective damage against Blade Lords (but not Lyn or Eliwood's normal lord class for some reason, just Blade Lords). Blade Lords still obviously use swords, but because you've been using bows for first tier, Lyn's obviously going to be much more focused as a Bow unit. Should Sword Slayer still deal effective damage against her? And note, the sword slayer targets classes, so it'll always deal effective damage regardless as to what weapon is equipped. If Lyn is packing five bows, a swordslayer will wreck her anyway right now.

IMO, seeing as how she no longer focuses on swords, Swordslayer should not deal effective damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Street Hero said:

In febuilder u can import via feditor format(file with no extension) or febuilder format(text+images file).

If u are unsure, choose "all file" in febuilder - image editor- battle animations - import animation windows. 

That's all i know( I'm no hacker but u should use febuilder because it's easier to modify roms)

About the effective weapon, i suggest using the effective address one-by-one so you can choose the class getting extra dmg but then again i'm no hacker :-S 

Oh I know how to edit the effective weapon damage, I'm just questioning whether I should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Oh I know how to edit the effective weapon damage, I'm just questioning whether I should.

Well about that, imo just think her promoted class like Ranger/Nomad Trooper except the horse parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jotari said:

Maltet and Mugleis keep their dragon slaying abilities, but Durandal doesn't exist. In keeping with FE7, they're also still prf weapons for Eliwood and Lyn respectively. What were you planning?

Under the right circumstances, Eliwood can solo the dragon.  It takes some planning and RNG level-ups, but it's hilarious when it works.

Maltet has one more MT than FE7 Durandal, but Durandal's stat boost gives it more overall power.  I think Eliwood will need +2 strength from supports to do the same thing.  He won't need a Body Ring, due to Maltet's weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Under the right circumstances, Eliwood can solo the dragon.  It takes some planning and RNG level-ups, but it's hilarious when it works.

Maltet has one more MT than FE7 Durandal, but Durandal's stat boost gives it more overall power.  I think Eliwood will need +2 strength from supports to do the same thing.  He won't need a Body Ring, due to Maltet's weight.

Not needing Body Rings is one of the reasons I wanted to give him Maltet. Eliwood just isn't build to wield something the size of Durandal.

 

I should make a note that due to the earlier Heaven Seal, you have a lot more control about who you fight between the two Black Fang brothers. The game doesn't take into account the lord's promotion, so a level 3 Blade Lord and two level 20 Lords will only register as 43 combined levels instead of 63.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In some ways the whole thing makes more sense canonically with FE6's bonus characters (where Eliwood has an S rank with Lances and only an A with Swords) but on the other hand something seems wrong to me about making it so the sword the game was named for is not actually used. Well unless you count that cutscene with Ninian.

That said, I do see the problems with Eliwood's constitution. Using both body-rings on him so he can more effectively use Durandal seems almost pointless when there are better options for the body rings that'll help you for more chapters. Wouldn't another solution be to lower Durandal's weight to it's Binding Blade weight so it's not as hefty? After all the body rings have an effect of plus 4 con between them, and Durandal's weight is 16 in FE7 and only 12 in FE6, so it's effectively the same as giving him the rings.

Edited by Mad-manakete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

In some ways the whole thing makes more sense canonically with FE6's bonus characters (where Eliwood has an S rank with Lances and only an A with Swords) but on the other hand something seems wrong to me about making it so the sword the game was named for is not actually used. Well unless you count that cutscene with Ninian.

That said, I do see the problems with Eliwood's constitution. Using both body-rings on him so he can more effectively use Durandal seems almost pointless when there are better options for the body rings that'll help you for more chapters. Wouldn't another solution be to lower Durandal's weight to it's Binding Blade weight so it's not as hefty? After all the body rings have an effect of plus 4 con between them, and Durandal's weight is 16 in FE7 and only 12 in FE6, so it's effectively the same as giving him the rings.

It is weird that they made it heavier. It's like, this is the main weapon of the game, let's make it useless. Of course there's no real reason the game is called Blazing Blade, it reeks of "We couldn't come up with anything more relevant." No wonder they didn't bother to keep the subtitle when localising it. And even if the title was first established in its predecessor, Durandal doesn't blaze in any way! That's the Sword if Seals deal. I'm actually headcannoning now that The Sword of Seals was the original Blazing Blade but the name got transferred to Durandal via loss of info in word of mouth. Seems likely give. How the Sword of Seals was seemingly forgotten or confused in nature compared to the other weapons 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It is weird that they made it heavier. It's like, this is the main weapon of the game, let's make it useless. Of course there's no real reason the game is called Blazing Blade, it reeks of "We couldn't come up with anything more relevant." No wonder they didn't bother to keep the subtitle when localising it. And even if the title was first established in its predecessor, Durandal doesn't blaze in any way! That's the Sword if Seals deal. I'm actually headcannoning now that The Sword of Seals was the original Blazing Blade but the name got transferred to Durandal via loss of info in word of mouth. Seems likely give. How the Sword of Seals was seemingly forgotten or confused in nature compared to the other weapons 

I always figured it was more to have an elemental effect to it's nickname like the Bow of Gales, the Blizzard Spear, and the Thunder Axe. But that would make sense. The making it heavier thing sure as hell doesn't. Not when the only guy you allow to use it doesn't have the con to wield it effectively. Even if Eliwood caps speed and takes both body rings he'll be unable to double most of the morphs in the chapter with the thing. It's almost like IS overcompensated for Idounn being so easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated things. Added in the more suitable animations and removed some glitches that hopefully no one has got a chance to see. Also did a little rearranging to make the Fire Dragon and one other boss more exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.