Grima's Powers?

So I've recently been speaking with a friend about Grima and I realized something..... Other than a few things, I really don't have a clear idea of what his powers are.

I know he can make zombies (Risen), possibly possess people (there seems to be limitations), and he's a dragon...

Can anyone give me some clarification please?

Grima is a godlike entity, and one of the most powerful beings in the Fire Emblem universe. He's also arguably the largest entity as well, as he dwarfs the Dragon's Table and Ylisstol Castle. 

His powers are incredibly great, where he creates the Risen, able to potentially revive the dead like he does with Validar. 

Along with that, Grima can actually open portals to travel through time and space, as he used his powers to travel back in time.

Grima is also immortal, as Naga confessed that it is impossible for her to kill Grima, even with all her power. 

Grima is also the only entity that ever claimed credit in that he killed Naga.

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Grima is a godlike entity, and one of the most powerful beings in the Fire Emblem universe. He's also arguably the largest entity as well, as he dwarfs the Dragon's Table and Ylisstol Castle. 

His powers are incredibly great, where he creates the Risen, able to potentially revive the dead like he does with Validar. Not really clear in-game whether Validar actually died. Mortally wounded, definitely, but actual death?

Along with that, Grima can actually open portals to travel through time and space, as he used his powers to travel back in time. This is unclear, I think? Grima claimed to have followed Lucina through time. It's not really clear whether he used his own powers to do so, or just hopped through the same portal as Lucina did.

Grima is also immortal, as Naga confessed that it is impossible for her to kill Grima, even with all her power. Naga: The only power that could kill Grima would be his own. Not quite immortal.

Grima is also the only entity that ever claimed credit in that he killed Naga. Source: Future Past DLC

Aside from that, Grima's backstory is partially explained in FE: Echoes. I think.

1 hour ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Thank you both! ^.^

I guess it just seems like he never actually shows off much of his power in game so... most of that is rather abstract. Not quite suitable for what we're discussing so I suppose I'll have to nail down more concrete powers myself.

Thanks again!

Well, another thing is those instant spikes of doom that basically one shot everyone. Everyone was completely overwhelmed by that. 

1 hour ago, soly said:

His powers are incredibly great, where he creates the Risen, able to potentially revive the dead like he does with Validar. Not really clear in-game whether Validar actually died. Mortally wounded, definitely, but actual death?

Along with that, Grima can actually open portals to travel through time and space, as he used his powers to travel back in time. This is unclear, I think? Grima claimed to have followed Lucina through time. It's not really clear whether he used his own powers to do so, or just hopped through the same portal as Lucina did.

Grima is also immortal, as Naga confessed that it is impossible for her to kill Grima, even with all her power. Naga: The only power that could kill Grima would be his own. Not quite immortal.

Grima is also the only entity that ever claimed credit in that he killed Naga. Source: Future Past DLC

It was repeatedly stated that Validar was killed, and Grima brought him back, so I would say that he did die. Not sure. That's why I said potentially. 

Yes, but Grima said that traveling through time made him weakened, so it's likely he used his own powers to go back in time, rather than borrow the portal Naga made.

Yeah, but in context, that does make Grima immortal, as the only reason he can be killed in Awakening is that Grima went back in time, therefore giving Robin, who essentially is Grima, the ability to kill him. So under normal circumstances, Grima cannot die, only sealed.

Mhm.

If it was stated by Chrobin and Co. that Validar died, then there's an unreliable narrator issue. But yeah, I'm not certain either.

Could be that travelling through Naga's portal weakened Grima, because he's like the anti-Naga. Or something.

Grima can kill himself (Source: also Future Past). Like, literally, not just via Robin shenanigans.

11 minutes ago, soly said:

If it was stated by Chrobin and Co. that Validar died, then there's an unreliable narrator issue. But yeah, I'm not certain either.

Could be that travelling through Naga's portal weakened Grima, because he's like the anti-Naga. Or something.

Grima can kill himself (Source: also Future Past). Like, literally, not just via Robin shenanigans.

Could just be that as he died, Grima arrived. But meh. It's possible Grima can only truly revive Validar only because Validar has Fellblood in him.

Doubt it works that way. Given how much Grima indicates to possess, I don't think traveling through time is beyond his capabilities. It's just extremely tough, especially since he had to move his entire being through it.

Future Past Grima doesn't die. Nor is it actually indicated that he did die. Rather, Robin holds Grima in place for Lucina to strike him down. But the statement that Grima must kill himself is due to how Grima must die by his own power. Exalted Falchion is Naga's power, not Grima's. 

On 6/12/2018 at 12:59 PM, omegaxis1 said:

His powers are incredibly great, where he creates the Risen, able to potentially revive the dead like he does with Validar. 

While he does indeed bring Validar back to life, it is not his power specifically that is raising the Risen/Masks. One of the stone things you can read within Forneus's old lab in Thabes during SoV states the following:

"The critical component in the death mask is a particular shelled insect.
I have come to call these marvels of nature thanatophages.
Placed on a cadaver, thanatophages set down roots and assert control.”

The "death masks" worn by the things seam to contain these insects that dig inside of the head of a human corpse and are presumably are the main reason the masks work in the first place.

As for how they are controlled, there is no real explanation given but judging from their glowing red eyes and how Aversa seamed to be able to perfectly command the few that warp during Emmeryn's death scene, I'd say magic. So Grima's real ability that should probably be taken out of these things is that he is able to command the massive army of these creatures at will through his power alone.

5 hours ago, CatManThree said:

While he does indeed bring Validar back to life, it is not his power specifically that is raising the Risen/Masks. One of the stone things you can read within Forneus's old lab in Thabes during SoV states the following:

"The critical component in the death mask is a particular shelled insect.
I have come to call these marvels of nature thanatophages.
Placed on a cadaver, thanatophages set down roots and assert control.”

The "death masks" worn by the things seam to contain these insects that dig inside of the head of a human corpse and are presumably are the main reason the masks work in the first place.

As for how they are controlled, there is no real explanation given but judging from their glowing red eyes and how Aversa seamed to be able to perfectly command the few that warp during Emmeryn's death scene, I'd say magic. So Grima's real ability that should probably be taken out of these things is that he is able to command the massive army of these creatures at will through his power alone.

Before the Risen were created through scientific methods. No doubts there. However, a distinct characteristic is that the Risen in Thabes are actually lacking in the glowing eyes, despite how the Risen are meant to be under Forneus' control. But the Risen in Awakening all have glowing red eyes. This is because Grima is the one controlling them, and he likely has made them part of his own power now, so the Risen are now part of Grima's magic. 

Not sure about what would be useful for what you're discussing but I suppose you could take into account his in-game skills, aside from what has already been said.

I have to say that seeing a question about Grima's powers has made me have one on my own though. At the end of awakening we see Robin taping into them, but would he still be able of  using them after Grima's been sealed by Falchion?

2 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

Not sure about what would be useful for what you're discussing but I suppose you could take into account his in-game skills, aside from what has already been said.

I have to say that seeing a question about Grima's powers has made me have one on my own though. At the end of awakening we see Robin taping into them, but would he still be able of  using them after Grima's been sealed by Falchion?

Possibly. The thing about what I understood is that so long as a vessel exists, with enough power, you can actually break the seal on Grima. Remember that the Hierophant was able to revive Grima without the need of the completed Fire Emblem, simply using the sacrifices that had been offered to him.

11 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Possibly. The thing about what I understood is that so long as a vessel exists, with enough power, you can actually break the seal on Grima. Remember that the Hierophant was able to revive Grima without the need of the completed Fire Emblem, simply using the sacrifices that had been offered to him.

That makes sense, but what I wanted to ask was more like, could he still use it's power without breaking  the seal? As far as I remember the hierophant was Grima already.

9 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

That makes sense, but what I wanted to ask was more like, could he still use it's power without breaking  the seal? As far as I remember the hierophant was Grima already.

Honestly, I think he could. Or rather, that's my personal headcanon that he can. He still is Grima. He has Grima's purest form of blood and is called the Heart of Grima. It stands to reason that he could potentially perform the Grima's Truth attack that he used to kill Grima even after sealing, but only if he really taps into it.

However, to that, I would argue that's dangerous. Using Grima's power is equal to basically connecting with Grima himself. Meaning you're letting Grima's power, his essence, and his will course through you. That would leave you more open to possession. 

• 2 weeks later...

Grima is the strongest dragon ever faced in the Fire Emblem series and possibly the strongest dragon of all for several reasons. First of he's the biggest. His size far exceeds that of other dragons such as Duma or Anankos this gives him the most raw physical power. Second is his invulnerability. Throughout the Fire Emblem series Falchion has been a sword capable of killing both dragons and even gods, however even after get a huge power boost from Naga, it is still incapable of killing Grima. It can only seal him a away. The only way to kill him is to have him kill himself. Therefore no one except him or Robin can end his threat permanently. If he had managed to kill Robin he would have been an invincible and tyrannical lord... with occasional thousand year breaks. Finally even before he was resurrected he had the ability to talk with his followers and bring back the dead (Valimar).

• 4 weeks later...

Your question inspired me to do a bit of research on Grima's origins. It turns out he's not a god at all. He was artificially created by an alchemist named Forneus. It played out like this. Forneus was a genius who was consumed by two pursuits. One was to raise the dead and create an army for himself, and the second was to create a "singular, perfect being". By using a special type of insect called thantophages, the dead could be resurrected even stronger than in life. The thantophage was placed on the corpse's face like a mask. These creatures later became known as the Risen. After having succeeded in his first pursuit Forneus turned to the second. He managed to obtain the blood of a divine dragon. Realizing what Forneus was doing the council of Thabes sent first messengers and then soldiers to stop Forneus. Forneus killed them all. In a last desperate attempt the council sealed Forneus's lab so nothing could escape. Forneus despite being sealed in his lab continued his work. Using the bodies of the soldiers for material, he created a new being. Grima was small at first, but on the eightieth day he gave some of his blood to Grima and the beast grew. Forneus's last words were "Its voice echoes in my head. Dark thoughts. Violent th-" Many years past till Alm and Celica ventured into the ruins of Thabes. They broke the seal and battled Grima. They were victorious, but unbeknownst to them a part of Grima's consciousness lived on and was, after many centuries, resurrected by Validar. That's Grima's backstory to the best of my knowledge. It helps to explain his power. He is a singular, perfect being. Which is why no one but himself could kill him.

2 hours ago, Zack2564 said:

Your question inspired me to do a bit of research on Grima's origins. It turns out he's not a god at all. He was artificially created by an alchemist named Forneus. It played out like this. Forneus was a genius who was consumed by two pursuits. One was to raise the dead and create an army for himself, and the second was to create a "singular, perfect being". By using a special type of insect called thantophages, the dead could be resurrected even stronger than in life. The thantophage was placed on the corpse's face like a mask. These creatures later became known as the Risen. After having succeeded in his first pursuit Forneus turned to the second. He managed to obtain the blood of a divine dragon. Realizing what Forneus was doing the council of Thabes sent first messengers and then soldiers to stop Forneus. Forneus killed them all. In a last desperate attempt the council sealed Forneus's lab so nothing could escape. Forneus despite being sealed in his lab continued his work. Using the bodies of the soldiers for material, he created a new being. Grima was small at first, but on the eightieth day he gave some of his blood to Grima and the beast grew. Forneus's last words were "Its voice echoes in my head. Dark thoughts. Violent th-" Many years past till Alm and Celica ventured into the ruins of Thabes. They broke the seal and battled Grima. They were victorious, but unbeknownst to them a part of Grima's consciousness lived on and was, after many centuries, resurrected by Validar. That's Grima's backstory to the best of my knowledge. It helps to explain his power. He is a singular, perfect being. Which is why no one but himself could kill him.

Some corrections to make. The backstory is expanded upon in the Valentian Accordion, both for Grima and the Risen.

Second, Validar isn't the one that revived Grima in the context there. This is because Validar isn't born for another 2000 years. Grima returns 1000 years later after this, is beaten by the First Exalt, and then revived after another 1000 years.

honestly speaking of grima's origins the more I think about it the more I realize how apt a title "fell dragon" really is. I mean he is made from divine dragon blood and divine dragons within the FE universe are herald as holy beings like gods or angels so in a sense because grima technically is a divine dragon that is "evil" he can sort of be seen as a fallen angel. At least that's what I think anyways.

I would like IntSys explain that issue with Grima and Marth's descendant (that probably Tiki knows before going to Valentia), I know it's open for interpretation and just a plotpoint, but it could answer many many many questions, yes yes yes!

20 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I would like IntSys explain that issue with Grima and Marth's descendant (that probably Tiki knows before going to Valentia), I know it's open for interpretation and just a plotpoint, but it could answer many many many questions, yes yes yes!

They could literally make an entire game out of it.

7 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

They could literally make an entire game out of it.

And could deserve the title "Before Awakening"

That DLC from Fates just added more confusion to the timeline