Fire Emblem Three Houses

I have to say, the hordes of mooks seem like a huge mistake for this series. Is this a musou game?? The whole point of Fire Emblem is a strategy series where every unit is a character you value. What will differentiate the supporting characters in this game from all the faceless soldiers that are actually defending / fighting alongside them most directly? That doesn't make any sense. I always enjoyed how FE campaigns feel like a small, tight-knit group of soldiers fighting against the odds - that's eliminated here.

I also think it's a huge mistake to do away with the expressiveness of 2D map sprites, in favor of bland little 3D models that stand upright in basically a step above T-poses. The GBA/3DS games understood those sprites, which you spend so much time looking at, are a huge part of the series' charm. In my opinion those handheld games had better visuals and presentation than PoR and RD, despite playing on worse hardware with like 200p screens.

There were a few things I liked in the trailer, namely some 3D exploration like in Echoes returning, and the "training" interactions seem like they could consolidate convos, stat raising, and relationship elements in a sensible way. And some of the lack of visual polish could be due to the stage of development. But man, I need to see a lot more from this game to understand how it's improving on past FE in any way.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

To be fair, Echoes was a rerelease of Gaiden's story, which was written quite a while ago (in video game terms).

It's piss-easy to be negative about a story, especially since tropes will happen.  My idea of a good story is one that's driven by the characters - does the premise make sense, given each character's personality and motivations?  It's why I have a love-hate relationship with Tales of Berseria.  The characters make sense, but the villain does some pretty nonsensical things to make the premise fit.

Might be one of the reasons why Persona 4 was very popular with others. Because the game was heavily character driven. 

However, sometimes a story that is mostly character driven isn't always the best, as the plot can actually become very weak or suffer from it. Same with Persona 4 as the same example. Great characters that were driven well, but the story was overall weak if anything. 

2 minutes ago, zelmes said:

Is there any confirmation on the artist? I've only seen speculation in this thread and elsewhere. Looks like it could be Doi as well.

Given the 2d sprites next to the characters, anyone else think there may be a 2D strategic map mode?

They haven't officially confirmed it, but it looks like Kurahana Chinatsu. You might know them from "uta no prince-sama"

6 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

I have to say, the hordes of mooks seem like a huge mistake for this series. Is this a musou game?? The whole point of Fire Emblem is a strategy series where every unit is a character you value. What will differentiate the supporting characters in this game from all the faceless soldiers that are actually defending / fighting alongside them most directly? That doesn't make any sense. I always enjoyed how FE campaigns feel like a small, tight-knit group of soldiers fighting against the odds - that's eliminated here.

We might be getting more diversity in the visual storytelling. I was watching a playthrough of Thracia, and, for example, it makes sense during Manster to have your band of fighters. In another situation, in Fates, there's that early chapter with the armies of Nohr and Hoshido fighting. Cutscenes clearly depict the armies, but the actual map is abstract and only shows the officers fighting.

Hence I say, the ability to depict the mooks seems to be a move to make the battlefields more immersive. Similar to how Echoes had smooth transitions from the map view into the duel view. Three Houses now has more visual storytelling tools, I don't think it can be a bad thing.

Edited by HJHolon

4 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

I also think it's a huge mistake to do away with the expressiveness of 2D map sprites, in favor of bland little 3D models that stand upright in basically a step above T-poses. The GBA/3DS games understood those sprites, which you spend so much time looking at, are a huge part of the series' charm. In my opinion those handheld games had better visuals and presentation than PoR and RD, despite playing on worse hardware with like 200p screens.

There were a few things I liked in the trailer, namely some 3D exploration like in Echoes returning, and the "training" interactions seem like they could consolidate convos, stat raising, and relationship elements in a sensible way. And some of the lack of visual polish could be due to the stage of development. But man, I need to see a lot more from this game to understand how it's improving on past FE in any way.

Each character is the leader of each group, which was implied but never really shown in many other fire emblems. As I said a few replies back, the addition of the sprite version of the character makes me think you might be able to play using a traditional 2d map

So Oscar pointed out "your protagonist meets three main characters" in the game's fact sheet. Avatar confirmed I guess

2 minutes ago, zelmes said:

Each character is the leader of each group, which was implied but never really shown in many other fire emblems. As I said a few replies back, the addition of the sprite version of the character makes me think you might be able to play using a traditional 2d map

From what I heard it's for your class

Edited by silveraura25

3 minutes ago, HJHolon said:

We might be getting more diversity in the visual storytelling. I was watching a playthrough of Thracia, and, for example, it makes sense during Manster to have your band of fighters. In another situation, in Fates, there's that early chapter with the armies of Nohr and Hoshido fighting. Cutscenes clearly depict the armies, but the actual map is abstract and only shows the officers fighting.

Hence I say, the ability to depict the mooks seems to be a move to make the battlefields more immersive. Similar to how Echoes had smooth transitions from the map view into the duel view. Three Houses now has more visual storytelling tools, I don't think it can be a bad thing.

Not to mention, there are cases where people assume that each unit is, in fact, the person as an officer that leads their group of soldiers to fight. So this is actually showing the more visual outlook of how the war actually looks like. 

In Thracia, it is said that Seliph's army is 10x the size of Leif's army. We don't actually see that. 

I've always assumed in Fire Emblem that you had a bigger army than the 20ish characters the game is presenting you with. The fact that they implemented that idea of army into Three Houses is honestly a great detail. What I am more scared of with this addition is that it might not just be an aesthetic addition, but a mechanic one.

1 minute ago, HJHolon said:

It did the exact opposite for me.  A whole bunch of faceless guys in the background seeming swinging their weapons around in a choreographed manner honestly reminded me of the House of Blue Leaves fight scene in Kill Bill Vol. 1, and that was paying homage to the kitsch of how silly it looks if you just draw your attention away from the Bride/MC and towards the edges of the screen for a few seconds.

There's always the implication that there are thousands of troops fighting alonsides your units in a place where the player just can't see them. Tellius even outright says it and goes to great lengths to show the Greil mercenaries and Dawn Brigade are going on side missions to help the main force fighting on the battlefield.

I'm glad we finally get to see all those mooks who always went ignored despite their hard work and Sacrifices :): 

5 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

They haven't officially confirmed it, but it looks like Kurahana Chinatsu. You might know them from "uta no prince-sama"

Interesting, I've heard of the franchise but don't know much about it. But if that is true, it would make sense why the outfits so far have been less fan service-y. But since the style is very "stereotypical animu" there's many, many possibilities who the artist would be. Guess we'll just have to wait for confirmation.

Just now, Kahvi said:

Interesting, I've heard of the franchise but don't know much about it. But if that is true, it would make sense why the outfits so far have been less fan service-y. But since the style is very "stereotypical animu" there's many, many possibilities who the artist would be. Guess we'll just have to wait for confirmation.

It's strongly hinted to be her and it's said the most. It's definitely her. I hope I don't come off as forceful

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

There's always the implication that there are thousands of troops fighting alonsides your units in a place where the player just can't see them. Tellius even outright says it and goes to great lengths to show the Greil mercenaries and Dawn Brigade are going on side missions to help the main force fighting on the battlefield.

I'm glad we finally get to see all those mooks who always went ignored despite their hard work and Sacrifices :): 

Same here. This would actually give a great visual of an actual war taking place.

Going on what I heard, I was uncertain how to feel about the new game, but once I saw the trailer I was pretty impressed. It's different, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with these new ideas. Particularly what this squad thing will mean for gameplay (and if it means the story will focus on large-scale warfare).

The art style reminds me of some Tales Of games, but maybe that's just me. It's not bad, though; I was more worried the game would follow in the footsteps of Heroes Book 2's original characters, which isn't really what I wanted for the series. Maybe this new style will grow on me as I see more of it, too.

The story actually has me interested, because it looks it's laying all its cards on the table from the beginning - three warring kingdoms, secretly evil church, go on a quest to destroy all the crests and save the world but get branded a heretic for it, etc.. But these kinds of games never go without throwing a twist or three at you, so I'm wondering what might shake up what initially seems to be a generic but complete RPG story.

...But then, I'm one of those weirdos who generally likes Fire Emblem's writing and thinks some other series praised for their story aren't actually very good. (not Kiseki though, those games are amazing)

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and the trailer just revealed too much.

5 minutes ago, ExaltedViolinist said:

I've always assumed in Fire Emblem that you had a bigger army than the 20ish characters the game is presenting you with. The fact that they implemented that idea of army into Three Houses is honestly a great detail. What I am more scared of with this addition is that it might not just be an aesthetic addition, but a mechanic one.

Pretty much my thoughts, I wonder if it's going more Advance Wars? In any care it's a much better look than just like 15 randos on a field LOL.

Want some new info ASAP. Hopefully before whenever the next Direct is

47 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Okay, but like ... despite the negativity, I am HYPED. 

Fates sure was super cool looking, but it FAILED so hard. Like it was so awful, so honestly, a more subdued trailer that is a bit generic is GOOD. I can't stand the stupid tropes in Fates (and Awakening to a much lesser degree), and so if the characters are more fleshed out, with personality like SoV, I am super excited about that. I don't want any one-note characters like Camilla (and no it literally has nothing to do with her being fan service), etc. So a bit more generic and not super trope-ish is a good thing for me.

I do agree it looks a little washed out, but I personally really like that sorta style and if it's coming out Spring 2019 you can bet there's gonna be more development and stuff so I'll reserve until we get a lot more info.

But so far, I loved it. It was a little lackluster considering how long we've waited, but I think knowing that it was delayed makes it okay and have a lot more hope that they're really putting a lot into the project.

Also ... also ... LOVE the formations. So excited to see it feel like an active battlefield. Because as much as I love being one player sweep an entire "army" it just never felt realistic. So the idea that there is an actual army is really cool. My first impression was a little cluttered, but upon seeing formations/etc, I think it could be done very well and it's going to be on a TV and not a little 3DS, so I actually think it might work out to look REALLY good. And also, war is a little cluttered. It's not neat lines and perfection so I like the realism that goes with it.

And onto the character designs, YES. My stylistic, art director heart is happy. Like I'm so aesthetically minded because it's what I do all day at work, and I'm so picky, so I'm really, really happy I like the design. Also I love Claude, because we need more slightly dark characters. And I just love his hair and stuff. <33

I'm really excited for our 3 protagonists, they all feature something new:

• Edelgard is an AXE (and sword, but axes tho) lord, and a female. Pretty cool.
  • Dimitri is the LANCE user, and I like how he looks more like a villain than a hero.
  • Claud is the very first BOW lord and the very first DARKER-SKINNED lord. He seems to be the playful type too, so I wonder how well IS balanced his personality and sense of duty.
    1 hour ago, FuranSuwa said:

I did a chart with all the characters I could see from the trailer :

Reveal hidden contents

FE3H_analysis.thumb.png.395d641b9c7ccc04620fd602ca4f876d.png

Thanks for making this!

• I really like Mercedes(?)/the mage girl's design. I really like shoulder length hair, tbh.

• I wonder if the other characters are just enemies they decided to give a face or just playable. Seems weird

57 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

New details and screenshots: https://gematsu.com/2018/06/fire-emblem-three-houses-announced-for-swich

Of note, there are three lords: Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude. Claude is in the trailer, I think Dimitri is in there for a split second, but I'm mostly worried that Edelgard will go the way of Lyn, being the first Lord of the game but pointless once the important stuff starts.

I'm worried too. At first I thought this may be a chance for a female lord to take the spotlight, but looks like she's sharing it. Hopefully she has her own story path. To me, maybe the concept of 3 Houses comes from MU pledging to one of them, and who we pick decides who becomes ruler at the end of the game?

54 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

At least Pair Up appears to be dead?

I like the idea of the formations/armies. I like that weapon durability is back. I'm curious about magic being usable by everyone/arts returning instead of RNG activation. 

But otherwise we just know so little right now its hard to be hyped up. But at least it appears to be not following the Awakening/Fates formula. The tradition of "change a significant amount of things after 2 FE games" has continued. 

I think Pair Up evolved into Formations? There isn't "Pair Up" per se, but looks like you can have nearby allies help you attack the enemies? It seems like an interesting mechanic.

52 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

I honestly laughed at "Important lady" because she looks so like the typical Fire Emblem character that will die early on for emotional impact, and character motivation. If she doesn't die I will honestly be shocked.

She looks like Mila 2.0. She's definitely a dragon and if she dies, then the little loli at the end will probably take her place in the story.

36 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Oh, not this crap again.

I mean, seriously, political intrigue is way more interesting to read. Genealogy's plot was good because it stuck to people fighting other people, and didn't constantly rely on deus ex machina.

In Medieval Times, politics and religion went hand in hand. The Church had tremendous power, and knighthood can be seen as a religious institution. After all, many knights' armor adorned crosses. I just wonder if IS will handle the concept well.

29 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

I'm not liking Dimitri's art. That mop of a hair. Jeez
For, Claude I'm waiting to see his personality as his art screams womanizer

Dimitri needs some HELP with that mop. Hopefully a stylish character will offer some advice.

Claude is the one I'm most excited for. He seems the playful type, so I hope he can be serious when he needs to be and not just be comic relief.

28 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The generics and the art style are vaguely reminiscent of Warriors!

So, take Warriors-style generics fighting (which I like because this is a war), shove it into an interface that gives me serious Tellius vibes, and add weapon durability back in.  Part of me thinks that this might be grounds for re-releasing Tellius. . .but that's something only time will tell.  The dude in black reminds me of an edgier Ephraim, appearance-wise.  Edel vaguely reminds me of Micaiah.  I'll wait for more info, but it looks intriguing (especially Carlos).

I got a Warriors vibe too from the graphics. And the 3 Houses is giving me Romance of the 3 Kingdoms vibes as well. As for the lords

Edelgard is the Red House

Dimitri the Blue

And Claude the Yellow/Gold

I get the impression they're all from the same country, but each family is vying for power/head spot. The background is key here, and I hope IS really explores the lore. This game has a lot of potential for world building already.

17 minutes ago, Cardinal_Copia said:

Agreed but having every character being bi wouldn't be bad seeing as it would allow for people who are gay to have more options rather than just the token gay who they might not like 

As someone who identifies as Bi--- I feel like a sense of realism would be lost if that were to happen. I'm all for LGBT+ representation in media, but having it forced would only annoy people and there will be backlash. Having a select few characters identify as LGBT+ would be better, rather than make the whole cast bisexual.

7 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I'm hearing that the artist name is Kurahana Chinatsu. Does otome games and did samurai flamenco. Thanks an interesting direction, I'm expecting lots of pretty boys.

I expect a ton of pretty boys. However, it makes me concerned if they made a bunch of different body types. I hope we get more muscular characters and different body types, not just lean young men and petite young women.

This game looks very cool. I'm intrigued in particular by there already being at least three main kingdoms on the continent, so hopefully there'll be worldbuilding for all of them rather than just two superpowers and a dead kingdom in a magical realm cough Fates cough. If I'm reading the map correctly, those three kingdoms are Atrastea, Fergus and Reicester. Certainly fits the "Three Houses" subtitle. By any chance, did the trailer give the name of the continent, or will we be calling this one ThreeHouesesia for the time being? I swear I can hear the narrator say the continent's name, but I can't figure quite hear how it was pronounced. 

The formation system seems interesting. From certain camera angles it may obstruct the action more than anything else, but it certainly looks impressive at other angles. I wonder what it could bring about gameplay-wise.

I'm calling it now that that flamberge at 0:16 is the Falchion-Equivalent in this game. Here's my question though, is the ruined sword the green-haired lady is holding at 1:30 the same sword? If not, then is the latter the Falchion-Equivalent? Why does she seem to be so emotional about that ruined sword? …Unless it has personal value, such as having been wielded by someone she cared about perhaps?

My first guess would be that the white dragon and the giant winged lady at 0:20 are the same person and that the goddess is another dragon. But the wings of the woman are feathered wings; the wings of the dragon are leather. Now I'm beginning to suspect that the goddess may be like Ashunera, rather than just another dragon mistakenly believed to be a goddess. 

Anyone else notice that Edelgard's class name is Aristocrat? I'm going to guess that it's a unique class. Her being able to use swords and axes seems cool, though it makes me wonder if the hero class will still make an appearance. 

I'm not sure about the graphics. They remind me of a blend of Awakening, Fates, and Warriors. But it is still visually impressive and very detailed. At least Edelgard and the mounted units are wearing pants (although the I'm-guessing-female archer Byleth doesn't seem to be (1:02).

If the green-haired guy really is a custom unit, I hope they'll at least have red hair as an actual option this time? None of Robin or Corrin's possible hair colours were really red. The black outfit is really cool, but I hope it can be customized/modified aesthetically so if someone doesn't like the custom character's outfit, they can change it. 

The castle looks very visually impressive, though, as a fan of shadiversity, I have to ask: where are the MACHICOLATIONNNNNNNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The song sounds good. Maybe a bit more effort could've gone into translation, but I had no real problem with it, or Lost in Thoughts All Alone for that matter (it was one of the few good things about Fates). It's nice that they're still trying with these different songs; hopefully it'll help further give each game a more unique feel. I just wonder how relevant this song will be in-universe (as in in the game's universe), and how thematically important it will be. 

I'm not sure about the whip-sword; those always seemed flimsy and silly to me. But this one at least seems to have fire or dark magic of some kind in the metal bits, which could justify it. In any case, this one seems less silly than most whip-swords. I couldn't see much of the obvious conqueror villain using said whip-sword, but he seems like a typical grey-bearded old king in some measure of armour. 

Is it just me, or did the giant mech-puppet thing just look weird more than anything else?

Ah... another little girl manakete. This one at least is in a modest outfit cough Nowi cough. She seems to be sleeping on a throne (but then again, Mila had a similar chair in Echoes). Is the green-haired lady her mother then? It would be an interesting twist if she's her much older sister instead or something like that. Or are they maybe the same person, just many years apart?

Anyway, these are all my thoughts on the game trailer. Overall, I'm looking forward to learning more about the game. Here's hoping they learned from Fates and gave it proper characters, worldbuilding, and story. Here's hoping for no more gary sues. cough Corrin and Alm cough

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

This game looks very cool. I'm intrigued in particular by there already being at least three main kingdoms on the continent, so hopefully there'll be worldbuilding for all of them rather than just two superpowers and a dead kingdom in a magical realm cough Fates cough. If I'm reading the map correctly, those three kingdoms are Atrastea, Fergus and Reicester. Certainly fits the "Three Houses" subtitle. By any chance, did the trailer give the name of the continent, or will we be calling this one ThreeHouesesia for the time being? I swear I can hear the narrator say the continent's name, but I can't figure quite hear how it was pronounced. 

The continent's name is Fodlan, so we're already off to a better start than Fates when it comes to worldbuilding. So no need for ThreeHouesesia thankfully.

Edited by Dandy Druid

Pros and cons(IMO) from that quick clip of the game:

Pros:

• We learned more about the continent from a 2 minute trailer than we learned in 3 games surrounding Fates
  • Seems like they're forgoing a lot of mechanics from the 3DS games(Seems like you can get a boost from and command nearby allies, but it looks like Pair-Up is gone or changed significantly). This is more of a pro for the 3DS games, as those mechanics being unique to them will probably make me go back to them at some point
  • Far more sensible designs on the main characters. No tits were shoved in my face, and the clothing looked fancy as hell, but like something somebody might actually wear
  • No signs of skinship, it seems like you take more of a role as an instructor and your out-of-battle interactions involve teaching them things
  • The map and art-style definitely seem a lot closer to something like Tellius, and less cartoony than the 3DS titles
  • Still definitely an anime artystyle, but it seems more fitting than Kozaki's artstyle
  • Weapon durability is back
  • Seems like spells might be handled like they were in Echoes

Cons:

• I'm not feeling the army-formation stuff. It might work out, but as of right now, the game looks more like Langrisser than Fire Emblem
  • Looks like we're back to Hybrid units(Looks like Edelgard could use Magic), which haven't worked out super well as of late
  • Still full of... bizarre enemies that we started getting in Fates
  • Framerate looks bad
  • Characters still talk all the time and I still don't like cut-in style critical/special attacks
  • It doesn't look like there's a cohesive style for unit types, though the ones we saw may just be Lords with their own unique styles

I'm definitely warmer on this than I was 2 and a half hours ago, but I'm still not sure how I ultimately feel.

Edited by Slumber

31 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

Relax. The hordes of mooks are nothing but a visual. It's more realistic this way anyway. Do you really think battles were fought with 10 units vs 20 like in earlier games? 

Also the 2d vs 3d is another meaningless debate -- it's just visuals. The gameplay hasn't changed.

We have no idea if the game will be any good but I think just from a technical standpoint, it'll at the very minimum be a lot bigger than the 3DS games.

48 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

I'm wary of him. I'm kinda hoping he isn't a womanizer, but even if he is he can win me over with supports

So I noticed the revealed characters have similar clothing except their cloak is of a different color. You can tell by all of their names they're nobles, but I'm guessing the color of the cloak signifies the family which they belong to

Claude's more likely to be gay than a womanizer lol

50 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

I don't want same sex S-supports if it's just for the sake of pandering. Like, if it's a few established gay/bi characters I'm cool with it, but if it's every character, then that's literally just pandering, and forced diversity.

WTF is this bullshit? Sake of pandering? Who are you to decide what is pandering and what is not? And only bigots oppose diversity in any form, including "forced" diversity.

Edited by bufkus

So far, I like what I see.

I like the addition of the generic mooks in battle, it makes the scale seem bigger. I also like all character designs so far. I personally wont mind too much if we have an MU (And I say we do), but I hope he/she is silent and plays less of a major role. Also, I like the castle roaming, I hope there is a lot to do, since the area looks massive.

Overall, I'm happy. The only thing I dislike is the date of release, but I kinda expected a delay.

Also, rip leak thread.