Fire Emblem Three Houses

Can I just say that I'm absolutely in love with the trailer music? Great music is usually a given in Fire Emblem but the music really connected with me this time. For some reason it reminds me of Nier and Fe4 which is amazing. My hype for the soundtrack is through the roof.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mackc2 said:

I wonder who will wield the sword of plot importance seeing as Edelgard seems to be an axe focused lord (axe lord hype), Probably the avatar but I think it would be an interesting twist if the big important sword is the fire whip sword the obvious evil is carrying. Also the Edelgard isn't the only one to talk in the trailer, there is also a sleepy "huh" which is probably the loli dragon

Edelgard does use a sword in the trailer, and there is a choice between axe and sword skills as well. That being said, we don't know what additional weapons promotions might bring so maybe all three lords could potentially use the sword.

10 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

I'm fully expecting at least Legendary weapons will still be infinite use.

Same. 

By the way, is it just me, or does the Kingdom of Fergus seem like the odd one out; at least by virtue of name alone: Atrastea, Reicester, Fergus. That last one kind of stands out. Is there perhaps a reason for that?

1 minute ago, grinus said:

@Mackc2 Is she axe focused? the Inventory menu showed axe, sword, magic and lance.

I don't know where you are getting lances from but the trailer only shows here wielding an axe despite her having swords and magic as option and her symbol on the map is an axe (although that could just show current equipped weapon) which indicates they want to show her off as an axe wielding lord 

4 minutes ago, ChickenBits said:

Can I just say that I'm absolutely in love with the trailer music?

I've been looping it for hours now. The only thing stopping me is the Smash Ulti livestream. After that, sleep, then back to my busy schedule of looping the trailer all day.

@Mackc2 There were four items shown. Maybe, I'm seeing things. axe, sword, magic and what else? 

Ok, I see it now. two swords and two axes. I wonder if that means she is a promoted unit or if that is from later in the game. 

Edited by grinus

1 minute ago, grinus said:

@Mackc2 There were four items shown. Maybe, I'm seeing things. axe, sword, magic and what else? 

Are you referring to her inventory the first time we see her? she has two axes and two swords there. 

Like: Song and World roaming

Dislike: Generic troops, fps drops and art style

I really dislike those generic npcs. I hope they're not heavily used or else that's an easy pass for me. UI looks dull though.

This new Fire Emblem game definitely looks  very different from almost every past game in the series. Visual style reminds me of both Persona and to a lesser extent Avatar. This isn't bad by any means, but I personally preferred Echo's more vibrant and colorful art-style. I can see why they would want to make the art style more gritty (better reflects the seriousness of war) but I can't help but miss the old artstyle.

Glad to see political maps back again for the story. Artstyle aside, the new characters models and fights look amazing. Not really a fan of the cutscenes though, since they seem to run at a poor framerate (similar to the ones in SoV). Story seems to take elements from SoV, which I find interesting. 

Overall, I'm pretty excited for this game, though I'm we'll see more gameplay next time. What we got wasn't enough.

I just realised that Fire Emblem Three Houses is extremely hard to say for non-english speakers. I'm french, and often talk about Fates and Echoes with my friends, but the [th] sound is probably the hardest sound to say.... It's gonna end up Fire Emble Free Houses...

The gameplay in the trailer make me remember Radiant Dawn, I feel nostalgic now.

And that new guy, Dimitri... Looks like freacking Takumi Aldini but older! Now I'm rooting for him, please don't becomea villain, please don't become a villain!

1 hour ago, Laptopispy said:

A small thing to note, only 5 of the 7 options have a watermark.
Maybe those are the actions that end the unit's turn? If so, it would imply item use doesn't spend an entire turn anymore.

19.png

That's what I'd asume, but then again chainging weapons hasn't consumed a turn since FE4 I think

58 minutes ago, Agnar said:

Hmmmmmm........ I wonder........

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.png

Mountain ranges couldn't have changed that much in millions of years

14 minutes ago, FuranSuwa said:

I just realised that Fire Emblem Three Houses is extremely hard to say for non-english speakers. I'm french, and often talk about Fates and Echoes with my friends, but the [th] sound is probably the hardest sound to say.... It's gonna end up Fire Emble Free Houses...

Ahahah! :D As a french speaker myself, it's hard for me to say the name fluently. It IS a strange choice of title, if you ask me. For being title-lover, I must say I wasn't impressed with it. 

I think I forgot to mention previously my love for the trailer music. Like it better than Lost in Thoughts All Alone already, so if it happens to be the game's titular track, I'm cool with it.

Edited by ExaltedViolinist

The reveal was... okay, I guess. We've had over a year to create ideas, and I've made enough that they could probably make several fire emblem games from them! Heck, I remember a coworker telling me during break at work that the next fire emblem game was called "Three Houses" and had a female axe lord, and from those two details I was able to create an entire story in my head in just an hour! So I checked my expectations at the door. Nothing blew me away, but nothing made me mad, either. All I want at the moment is more information.

As for my thoughts in more detail:

• I like the gameplay idea's and mechanics that could arise from having multiple units per character. I already see the use formations will have, and I can't wait to learn how else these squads will be implemented, which leads to my question of how they will affect stats and hp and such. Will they just be there for show? Will loosing generics lower the main characters stats? Will there be advantages/disadvantages to attacking groups with different numbers? How will healing work? Etc.
    • On a side note, I hope that we get a few characters don't have a squad surrounding them. Something like a dragon and/or a shapeshifter and/or a one-man army. They will probably have some uniquities about them to make up for not being able to use formations, such as a dragon being able to attack with either their breath or their claws or their tail, each having their strength and weakness, a shapeshifter would be able to transform into different creature on a whim, and the one-man army person will have massive stats or special skills that make them useful, but not a go-to solution in some situations. This might also remove the need for dragon/beast stones while we're at it.
    • I also wonder how character recruitment will work, and how being in command will affect the characters personalities. I can see something like the Navarre Archetype having their own band of mercenaries or thugs that join your side when talked to, but not every recruitment in the series could work with 10 other people present. As for their personalities, well, not every Fire Emblem character would make a good officer, so I wonder if we'll have characters that obviously aren't commander material jarringly leading a company of generics, or if the game will mostly forgo those kind of characters for ones that have some essence of leadership skill.
  • On a smaller but similar note, the combat animations... sorry to say, but they don't impress me. Granted, I know that Echoes had a previous engine to work with, and when it was revealed when it's release date was only a few months away instead of next year, but the little we've seen didn't blow me away at all, unlike with Echoes, where it nearly double my hype seeing Alm dodge roll out of the way and make a come-up attack from that. While I would pay good money to see something like this,  this, or this in a Fire Emblem game, I know that asking any company to make animations of realistic weapon techniques would be asking a lot. Still, I was expecting the quality to be similar to or above the fight animations in Echoes. That, and the generic soldiers just walked up there, attacked, and then were attacked. That was it. They didn't even bother something like flynning to make it more visually entertaining. That being said, I wonder if they're still developing them, and thus we'll be seeing fancier actions later down the line.
  • Since there was a 2D sprite when the lord attacked, I wonder if there will be an option to switch between 3D models and 2D sprites on the map.
  • Is it just me, or do the visuals look... unfinished? Like they still have a lot of polishing to do for both the characters and the animations? It's why I'm not harping (much) on this aspect of the game yet, and it might explain why it wasn't shown in March.
    • I don't have much to say about the visuals at the moment, other than they're a bit too dark and samey for my liking, and the character portraits haven't caught my attention, but the design of the generics in the cutscenes actually do interest me a bit, so I've decided to withhold judgement on the artwork itself until we see more.
    • I'm also glad that we're not seeing any fanservicy designs this time around.
  • Archers are keeping the +3 range, which is great, even if we don't know if they can attack in melee range yet. I'm also very happy to see combat arts return, even if we don't know how they will be handled yet.
  • The lords, at least, seem to be able to wield a wider variety of weapons than usual. I wonder if this is just a way to make them more versatile to prevent them from falling behind, or if hybrid classes will be common in this game. If it's the latter, I wonder if the weapon triangle will be more or less important than usual.
  • Story-wise, I wonder if they're going to have something like Hector and Eliwood mode from FE7 with the "Three Houses." Several levels and characters would be the same, but some story elements and levels will be different depending on which of the three lords you decide to focus on.
  • About the "breath new life into characters like never before" line said in an interview last year... while we can stop joking the fanservice interpretations of the quote, they didn't really show that aspect in the trailer. I mostly bring this up because in my mind, that line meant that the characters would noticeably react when getting hurt, even after the battle was over, or that the characters would be more animated, visually showing off their personality in more than just their clothes.
  • They also haven't shown any supports yet. We'll have to wait and see about their implementation.

...Once again, I live up to my rank quote. I didn't expect my thoughts on the matter would be this big. Especially when the first impression was personally okay, but it did leave me wanting more. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Sorry if it was a little difficult to read.

Guess I'm one of few who genuinely enjoyed every bit of that trailer.

The new mechanics look interesting, and the worldbuilding is already off to a decent start. Everyone is complaining that the art looks "too much like Atlus" but that's only a plus for me since Atlus had made some of my favorite RPG's ever.

Music is excellent as per usual with Fire Emblem, and I think the graphics look nice though clearly some room for improvement.

Overall, I'm totally on board with it.

1 minute ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I haven't really seen anyone mention this so....

Axe lady wearing pants!! Guys! Edelgard (is that how you spell it?) is wearing pants! She's dressed sensibly! In fact everyone was pretty much sensibly dressed. This is nice!

I mentioned it, albeit in a rather long list of other things. But yes! Great news! 

Also, if you look at the Pegasus Knights in the trailer, they're wearing pants as well! Not since Radiant Dawn have there been so many characters dressed sensibly!

I get the feeling formations are going to be the replacement for pair up since that seems to be gone. There are also two "new" stats called endurance and resilience and unless these are just the new names for defense and resistance may be affected by your formation. Like you could choose the triangle formation from the trailer and do more damage but also taken more from retaliation.

2 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I haven't really seen anyone mention this so....

Axe lady wearing pants!! Guys! Edelgard (is that how you spell it?) is wearing pants! She's dressed sensibly! In fact everyone was pretty much sensibly dressed. This is nice!

The angles we saw her from were always kind of weird so it looked to me like she was wearing shorts and leggings with her military uniform.

Just now, Modamy said:

I get the feeling formations are going to be the replacement for pair up since that seems to be gone. There are also two "new" stats called endurance and resilience and unless these are just the new names for defense and resistance may be affected by your formation. Like you could choose the triangle formation from the trailer and do more damage but also taken more from retaliation.

The angles we saw her from were always kind of weird so it looked to me like she was wearing shorts and leggings with her military uniform.

Well I guess there'll be others ways to build supports then as we saw in the trailer with Byleth interacting with Edelgard plus the official states "interact and building relationships" so supports are most definitely back.

3 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I mentioned it, albeit in a rather long list of other things. But yes! Great news! 

Also, if you look at the Pegasus Knights in the trailer, they're wearing pants as well! Not since Radiant Dawn have there been so many characters dressed sensibly!

Ohh sorry, I missed it. But still! This is great! I'm so happy people are wearing pants! Also, since RD has some of my favorite character designs I am not complaining about that xD

2 minutes ago, Modamy said:

Someone zoomed in on her outfit in the trailer...

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_pa84i8oykH1vfwduy_500.jpg

So it's like she's wearing some type of skirt with leggings underneath? Still! It's an improvement! No unnecessary skin showing that would get you stabbed in an actual battle!

I'd saved four different quotes but they're all gone now...sigh.

Anyway, I LOVE Edelgard's design for being so simple and elegant and for not being fanservicey, but it's usually the secondary characters that get that treatment. I also like Claude's design - he looks like he's just stolen yo' girl or guy or other xD Dimitri's art is odd but his in-game self looks fine.

As for Pair Up, I agree that it may have been replaced by the formation system (maybe you choose an Attack or Guard Stance in the menu, and the triangle formation is the former?) That said, it's plausible for two units to share a platoon if Paired Up, I suppose. And yes, I like the Gameplay and Story Integration the platoons add.

As for having a MU, I'm fine with that. Hopefully they're well written. I wonder if we choose and stick to a House or unite them. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

And selfish as this is, I am a bit relieved by the delay since this makes it more likely for Eirika to win CYL 3 in Heroes next year, instead of Edelgard winning via recency bias, but on the other hand I was really looking forward to getting this in time for Christmas :P

And speaking of Heroes, I guess we can expect to see these characters show up there in Dec/ January? But if there are Three Houses' worth of characters, we may get them sooner.

And finally, I actually love hie simplistic everyone's designs are. It's really refreshing!

P.S. I hope the dragon girl at the end isn't just Tiki 2.0, but that's still better than another Nowi.

Guys, I think we're all overlooking one important detail here. What happened to this guy? He's present during the start of the attack animation but immediately after Edelgard finishes her Axe swing, he's gone!

Joking aside, I'm more curious as to what's up with the absence of the Weapon Triangle. Did they delegate that to the formations? All we can really in regards to that is the change to what looks like a triangle formation and then right after that you see this formation just wrecking the enemy squad with a completely different view than the previously seen animations.

I don't mind the generics surrounding the playable characters during the battle animations but I think they should include an option to remove them from view.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque