Fire Emblem Three Houses

Claude is everything. A lord of color, yes please! Between him and Edelgard, i think we are in for a good time. Do the lords command hordes of generics? It looks like it and that's interesting. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Someone zoomed in on her outfit in the trailer...

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_inline_pa84i8oykH1vfwduy_500.jpg

So it's like she's wearing some type of skirt with leggings underneath? Still! It's an improvement! No unnecessary skin showing that would get you stabbed in an actual battle!

Sorry, until we get a view from a better angle they still look like shorts to me. Don't get me wrong though, I like her design. I was actually kind if dreading the idea of a female lord because I was terrified IS would just make her the new Camilla. I like her design so much I've got her portrait in rotation with the KH3 cast renders for my wallpaper.

1 minute ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Claude is everything. A lord of color, yes please! Between him and Edelgard, i think we are in for a good time. Do the lords command hordes of generics? It looks like it and that's interesting. 

Much as I love my infantry axefighter girls, Claude is the one I'm most interested in hearing about.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Joking aside, I'm more curious as to what's up with the absence of the Weapon Triangle. Did they delegate that to the formations? All we can really in regards to that is the change to what looks like a triangle formation and then right after that you see this formation just wrecking the enemy squad with a completely different view than the previously seen animations.

I don't mind the generics surrounding the playable characters during the battle animations but I think they should include an option to remove them from view.

Was the weapon triangle absent? Huh.

My two cents

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a dumbass name but other than that, the game looks really nice. It seems to be the "BotW/Odyssey" for Fire Emblem where the gameplay is being reinvented. Also, i'm actually glad it's being pushed back to 2019 because that way i can focus on saving up for Smash.

Just now, Armagon said:

My two cents

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a dumbass name but other than that, the game looks really nice. It seems to be the "BotW/Odyssey" for Fire Emblem where the gameplay is being reinvented. Also, i'm actually glad it's being pushed back to 2019 because that way i can focus on saving up for Smash.

At least the subtitle isn't only one word, heheh.

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Was the weapon triangle absent? Huh.

Well, it's speculation at the moment but if you look at Edelgard vs Mercedes and compare it with Byleth vs Hilda, you'll notice that the information provided on the combat window is the exact same between a clash that's traditionally neutral (Sword vs Bow) and a clash with what  traditionally has weapon triangle disadvantage (Axe vs Sword).

Furthermore, on the equipment window you have 71 hit on Edelgard if she's using the Steel Axe and then you see 67 displayed hit when she fights Mercedes which seems to suggest that there's no Weapon Triangle effects since 4 evade is not unlikely to have for someone who's got enough AS to double you.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

15 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

I don't mind the generics surrounding the playable characters during the battle animations but I think they should include an option to remove them from view.

Might be difficult. The blurb under the trailer makes them sound like a gameplay mechanic.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Well, it's speculation at the moment but if you look at Edelgard vs Mercedes and compare it with Byleth vs Hilda, you'll notice that the information provided on the combat window is the exact same between a clash that's traditionally neutral (Sword vs Bow) and a clash with that  traditionally has weapon triangle disadvantage (Axe vs Sword).

Furthermore, on the equipment Window you have 71 hit on Edelgard if she's using the Steel Axe and then you see 67 displayed hit when she fights Mercedes which seems to suggest that there's no Weapon Triangle effects since 4 evade is not unlikely to have for someone who's got enough AS to double you.

Huh. I wonder why they would remove it.

12 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Do you think so? I was seeing him as just a darker toned character like Gray, so I'm not sure if he's intended to be a black character. Not that I care which he is, bit his design seems rather ambiguous at best.

Graphically, it looks beautiful. I'm hoping that children and pairing up is gone. The closer it is to PoR, gameplay wise, the better.

Worst part is Spring 2019.

I guess that gives me 9 months to finish Conquest and play Revelations and Echoes...

FETH is the abbreviation. 

I do hope they take advantage of this delay to improve the visuals. I personally think it looks decent, but the sameface generic soldiers are an issue I didn't notice at first. The maps and battles we saw look fine to me but hey it can always look better.

I'd just like to say it's pretty cool that among the 3 main characters we have a woman with no fanservicey bits in her design and a dark skinned guy. Hope to see more diversity among the cast and in the different countries.

Wow, this thread is so long in such a short time. 

Anyway, I'm excited for this. If pair ups are gone I will miss them. It depends on how many units we end up controlling. Having to move and look after so many units gets tedious. One system I wish Fire Emblem took from Super Robot Wars would be support defense where units could take reduce damage while defending other units. Its one way to make FE less reliant on luck. Thats why I loved the pair up guards, a little extra to keep my units alive always helps.

Looks like we are getting a proper world map too so thats great. Hopefully with three kingdoms we will get a more mature political intruge than what we got in Fates. I love Fates: Conquest but theres no deny the story is cartoonish.

As for squads of generics, if that is a thing in the game, its an interesting way of making battles seem like clashes between armies rather than just an elite few super soldiers.

Edited by wissenschaft

I was definitely excited when I saw the words Fire Emblem on the screen but something didn't sit well with me. At first I thought it was apprehension of another Fates-like game but after more thought, it's because the characters and aesthetic look very generic and not very Fire Emblem-y to me. None of the characters stood out and the art style reminds me more of an Atlas game than FE. Maybe it's the colors, but nothing really pops out or gets me excited (ironically) like the Fates trailer. I don't see any red flag character designs like  Camilla or Nowi, but nothing I particularly loved either. Maybe I expected Tellius (modest clothing, medieval fantasy flair) but this felt like every JRPG character designs ever. 

For gameplay, the addition of "squads" of generics supporting you is an interesting effect. It's a little distracting seeing so many people running around, but it does lend itself to a feeling of a grander scope, not just 12 of your best vs 36 enemies.

Writing quality is the biggest unknown. A player avatar exists, which is concerning but not necessarily damning. We're given some hints about what is presumably a corrupt church as well as a goddess who doesn't seem happy with the conflicts going on. I was hoping for a game with a lot of political intrigue, but time will tell if there is more or that or more of "teenagers punching God in the face". It would be a shame for IS to buck its pandering tropes just to dive headlong into a generic JRPG story.

I'm less excited than I thought I'd be, but I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Edited by NekoKnight

My initial impression is meh.

I'm glad the continent and the places seem to have a name, but it seems we might have more Dragon problems again.

The character designs are nice and I am loving the female main lords outfit (and Claude's everything). Dmitri looks like he is going to be the serious one, and maybe even be the Camus of the game. If the church is part of the reason for the conflict, he looks like the one that would be the most hesitant to stop following its orders and join what seems to be a rebellion? The way Edelgard was speaking made it sound like she was going to start one against the Goddess anyway.

I am going to be honest I like what I see about the gameplay except for durability being back, and the whole squadron thing we have going on. Durability was a coin toss, and it is just a small annoyance that I am going to have to manage my inventory again. The squadron looks weird though. It also sounds like it is going to impact gameplay with formations doing something, and seeing how Bayleth and Edelgard don't attack the commander of the squad but other people in it. Then there was that special attack Dmitri did when his squad got into a triangle formation. I don't think I'm going to like it much.

The big bad doesn't look as obviously evil as Garon although he is still easy to point out, and we have another dragon loli. Oh and we have another Avatar although they look to be taking a back seat so yay? Long as children don't come back and nobody starts hero worshiping us for breathing I'm good.

Edited by YingofDarkness

fire emblem three houses? more like, fire emblem tree houses!

ha

ha

ha

okay but serious question, are we the fire emblem inquisition in this game, and is a scots themed nation going to exist what with all the tartan wearing berserkers? thats my two biggest take aways right now aside from lady lord looking like shes probably going to be the blandest of the main protags regardless of the games writing quality.

17 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

At first I thought it was apprehension of another Fates-like game but after more thought, it's because the characters and aesthetic look very generic and not very Fire Emblem-y to me. None of the characters stood out and the art style reminds me more of an Atlas game than FE.

Every FE game/pair of FE games changes up the art style.

The NES and SNES games were completely standard for the time, the Elibe games then did something else, only for SS to make colors a lot more sepia toned and a bit washed out. And then every FE game since PoR has been knocked at it's time for being "generic anime" and "not looking like Fire Emblem".

17 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

fire emblem three houses? more like, fire emblem tree houses!

ha

ha

ha

okay but serious question, are we the fire emblem inquisition in this game, and is a scots themed nation going to exist what with all the tartan wearing berserkers? thats my two biggest take aways right now aside from lady lord looking like shes probably going to be the blandest of the main protags regardless of the games writing quality.

Wait; were those berserkers really wearing tartan?

A Scots themed nation would be really cool, and I can guess right now which kingdom it would be: Fergus. The name is Scottish after all (it's an anglicised form of the Gaelic name Fearghas, which means Man of Vigour). 

Edited by vanguard333

3 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Every FE game/pair of FE games changes up the art style.

The NES and SNES games were completely standard for the time, the Elibe games then did something else, only for SS to make colors a lot more sepia toned and a bit washed out. And then every FE game since PoR has been knocked at it's time for being "generic anime" and "not looking like Fire Emblem".

Call it what you like, but I've been a fan since Blazing Sword and Shadow Dragon is the only game that really rubbed me the wrong way for its art style. I'm an individual, not a collective with the same opinion as everyone else in the fandom.

Edited by NekoKnight

BLOWN AWAY!  This trailer is the most exciting since Path of Radiance, and the most ambitious game since Thracia.  

So many sourpusses, but bear in mind that the game is still nearly a year away.  I want them to take as long as they need, even if they have to delay the game further so they can realize their ambitious and make this the best game it can possibly be.  

With the church playing an important part, the trailer starts with the fire emblem main theme but played on organ, pretty fitting.  Then we get a map, and wow the world looks huge.  So many territories/countries.  

The look of the game is more mature than the 3ds titles, and the characters we see generally look a little older.  This is looking like it will be a very serious game storywise.

As VincentASM analysis shows and we can see in trailer, the bow user is able to counter from close range, something that was in Echoes.  That may possibly mean that bows can also have extended range (over 2) as well, like Echoes.  This adds a lot more depth and makes bow users actually stand out something they don't often do in the other games.  

The avatar.  Unfortunately it seems there is one.  However he seems like a teacher/tactician, rather than the focus of the story.  I have no problem with avatar like in Blazing sword, who is addressed by other characters and such but is in the background rather than the focus.  

The mooks.  I am shocked people are complaining about this, cause this is the best part of the trailer.  Formations which likely have advantage/disadvantage based on enemy type and formation, just adds so much depth.  Besides simple battle bonuses it may allow to alter your character's positioning along with its troops, perhaps you can even split a character's troop to flank the enemy while some of them engage from the front.  It just opens up so much and can really revolutionize the Fire emblem formula.  It also adds much needed scale.  When controlling various princes/kings it is silly that they are a little band of 20-30 units, fighting off other nations armies and such.  The battles here look much more like what large scale war would be.  

Also, we see troops at different heights at times.  This could lead to once again like Radiant Dawn, bonuses for attacking from higher ground something that was abandoned in 3ds games. This is something that can add more.  I also hope we get advantage for attacking from behind or side as opposed to front.  Combat arts from Echoes make a return as well.

The anime cutscenes look great, and I like the general art style which I'm sure will be a lot more polished on final release.  We may yet get full voice acting, just cause we don't hear it here doesn't mean it isn't happening.  

There will be more free roaming, and I think that is great for exploring castles/towns and such so you get that immersion that you get from JRPGs and such.  

The Adult manakete fondly and lovingly holding that Falchion looking sword next to her, perhaps it is the fang of her mother which is why she seems so moved.  The child manakete sleeping at the end makes me think of Young Tiki.  

One last thing it isn't fair to compare the visuals of an SRPG to that of an adventure game like Breath of the Wild.  It is much more demanding to have to animate dozens of characters onscreen than a single character and some monsters.  It isn't possible power wise, regardless of how much money IS has to work with.  This game doesn't look 'cheap' or 'low budget' at all, quite the opposite.  They made hundreds of millions from FE Heroes, and it looks like a good chunk of that is going to this. 

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Wait; were those berserkers really wearing tartan?

A Scots themed nation would be really cool, and I can guess right now which kingdom it would be: Fergus. The name is Scottish after all (it's an anglicised form of the Gaelic name Fearghas, which means Man of Vigour). 

pause at about 54 seconds into the trailer. its a simple one but it is definitely a tartan pattern. even if they are the bad guys, my scottish roots will still call me to root for em. and if the nation the come from isn't one of the more grayed out ones then it would probably be fergus yah.

Watched it again and you can see the bad guy has a symbol on his shoulder on his symbol that doesn't match any of the nations, so it might not be about a war between the three nations and his cape too

Edited by Mackc2

I really wonder if that manakete/loli at the end looking so much like Tiki is a coincidence or what. This doesn't sound or look like Archanea but if that isn't Tiki then that's an awfully close case of copy paste.

I also hope they change the final name. It needs something else to give it more flavour. Three Houses of Seasons or something? 

12 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

pause at about 54 seconds into the trailer. its a simple one but it is definitely a tartan pattern. even if they are the bad guys, my scottish roots will still call me to root for em. and if the nation the come from isn't one of the more grayed out ones then it would probably be fergus yah.

Thanks. I had to enhance the brightness on my computer, but I saw that blue tartan pattern, and how cool is it that those berserkers are wearing that pattern on an article of clothing that looks suspiciously like a kilt!

I hope that those guys aren't actually of the berserker class, because of that name's Norse roots. Maybe instead if they call it something like Tartan Raider? I don't know. I think I would have preferred if these kilt-wearing tough guys were warriors, rather than seemingly-shirtless almost-certainly berserkers. 

My Scottish roots call me to do the same. I'm hoping that there is some nuance to them: they aren't an evil kingdom, but they are the most blunt and straightforward one in how they talk and how they deal with issues. Also, I'm hoping a Scottish kingdom means that the MyUnit can be a proper redhead this time. 

Edited by vanguard333