Fire Emblem Three Houses

19 minutes ago, YingofDarkness said:

That was only in the animated cutscenes though. Byleth never shows his face in an animated cutscene so he could still be an Avatar. Also, if he wasn't one it would be weird to hear them call him teacher all the time instead of his actual name.

True true, I couldn't remember if that was exclusive to the animated cutscenes or if they did that in promo stuff too. Calling him Teacher, though, could be just a sign of their respect (and an excuse to not have the voice weirdly cut out mid-sentence like in some games). A lot of people at my school just call their professors "Professor" for example (maybe because we don't remember their names, but still), and if anime is a good reference then that's true in Japanese culture too.

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm not sure why the text in your posts randomly changes color.  I'm on Night Forest, and it's a bit disconcerting.

It looks the same to me on the default theme, but it's definitely different colors on the Night Forest, yeah.

@vanguard333 This is what we're talking about. https://gyazo.com/3e6ed6efc57cb8bd957f3289bbe06991

image.gif

Edited by alatartheblue42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

What are you talking about? Changing text colours (and by the way, this is the correct spelling of colour)

Yes, it would very much be a waste. I've been waiting for a kingdom of Scots in an FE game for some time now!

Fastest way is to show you what it looks like:

luk1abH.png

Here's hoping that Scottish Kingdom is done right!

I really like the trailer!

I’n just going to put in my complaints first so I can shower the trailer with my adoration later.

1. The color scheme isn’t exactly fitting. The palette is all over the place and isn’t as blended as much I hope it would or could. Compare the color of the portrait of the characters to the the environment (the castle, the battlefield, etc.). The shading and the lineart of the portraits needs a little work! Colors should be varied and subdued according to the color palette of the environment. 

2. On topic of the color, I just really don’t like the controlled character’s hair color. Like I don’t. Doesn’t fit his character. I think only Setsuna could rock it because of her outfit. 

3. Not a huge fan of the mindless soldiers in the background. Please let me toggle it on/off when allowed.

What I liked:

1. Magic is not contained in a tome. I loved this aspect in Echoes.

2. Claude.

3. According to the analysis on the website, it seems like it’s 3 (or more) against the rest of the crests, so there might be a lot more story compared to Awakening.

4. World building was executed much better compared to Fates. The castle was stunning. I hope you could actually customize the castle a little and upgrade shops like in MyCastle.

5. Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn style maps and maneuvering is a nice touch. 

6. I like that they kept the staple sound effect of going into battle.

7. The sound effects of the buttons. When Echoes was released, I loved listening to the sound effects because it added a lot more flavor to the game.  

8. The amount of detail that went into the map designs and battle modes. 

9. Priest outfits! I thought the enemy character’s bishop clothing were really nice. Though I liked the outfit of the playable character (?) more. I hope any male playable character that is a priest / bishop has an outfit reminiscent of the generic mages. Like it isn’t all too revealing, and it’s outfit you could wear while using magic for battling.

10. CLAUDE.

_

Other things I’m wondering:

Are they intent on keeping ‘Three Houses?’ Imagine Owain saying it.

The symbol above the Mother seems to be really important. It also shows up on the border of portraits (during conversations). 

Edited by Aera

15 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Same its so Persona-like love that series artstyle so I'm loving the similarity here!

i swear to god, thats the thing that stood out to me the most. im not mad myself but im not in love with it yet either sooo... just gotta see how it does all put together i guess.

As for the soldiers in the back ground, they seem to be an actual part of the battle game play, with the formations they are commanded in and what not. 

I'm just praying that we could chose to serve the old head with the whip sword. It'll be pretty bad ass to serve an older lord who can be more of a father figure and not a bro/waifu for once. I know I'm just wishing for unicorns to exist in a sense since that guy will most certainly be the main villain of the game, but what ever. Looking over the trailer, I'm just saddened about how bland hte world looks outside of the castles. It just seem more like a glob of trees and open fields, which is fine, but I was hoping for something more out there. Maybe something like a fictional plant whose leaves are blowing in the wind or something or outlandish weather conditions to battle in! Like come on, Fire Emblem is a fantasy type of setting right? Well the only things that reminds me of that are the usage of offensive magic and monsters scattered about. Lets have some talking bears who wield weapons, or some other wacky things for once and not just the worn out "Humans are killing each other and dragons have something to do with it" plot.

GAWDS!

It does not help that Eldgaurd or whatever her name is seems to be pretty bland in personality

Other than that, I have no true complaints. I don't really care about the art style used or anything like that. At the end of the day, the game and battle mechanics seems fun to me, but I just want the world within it to be more fantasy like in a way. I hope I'm not the only one with this opinion. 

Edited by Martin

1 minute ago, MU woadie said:

Well, even if IS intends for it to be a "Person of Color" in the context of -Race as we understand it in the 21st century-, the characters in FE:TH probably have wildly different understandings as to what skin color means to peoples identities. As would probably be the case for every fictional fantasy setting. So even if Claude for us is equivalent to us as Black or Latino or what have you, in game they'll probably just refer to his heritage as his Nation or Territory of origin (Reganian?).

It's just nice to have people that look like us, since it allows a wider array of people to immerse themselves in gameplay.

I was just pointing out it seemed a bit odd to jump to calling him a "person of color" just off some mildly tanned skin, since maybe the designers weren't even thinking about that. Unless it's rather blatant or knowingly intended, I tend to not think much of race in fantasy anime-style work. Not knocking the last point at all, though.

7 hours ago, ExaltedViolinist said:

I'm just curious as to why having every character or so able to marry anyone they want any different than to have M/F marriages all across the board ? Barring a few characters fixed into a specific sexuality by the story, having characters not explicitly anything and making them anything we want them to be sounds great to me. They're just people who happen to date people of the same sex, or not. To me it doesn't have to be more complicated than that. It's an acknowledgement that we exist, and that we don't need to have specific characteristics to be. We're just as badass of a warrior as anyone on the field, except we are tied to a character of the same sex.

... unless this is what you were trying to say in case I misread something. 

My thoughts exactly

2 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I was just pointing out it seemed a bit odd to jump to calling him a "person of color" just off some mildly tanned skin, since maybe the designers weren't even thinking about that. Unless it's rather blatant or knowingly intended, I tend to not think much of race in fantasy anime-style work. Not knocking the last point at all, though.

I don't think Claude's skin is "mildly tanned". I've known PoC with that same/similar skin tone. PoC come in all kinds of shades. Though, I don't disagree with the notion that the designers "weren't thinking of that", considering this is a Japanese game. So I think I get your point, but from a western perspective, Claude is definitely a PoC.

Speaking of which, I really don't understand the trend of making people of color having blond/white hair. It looks cool though. (But I still really want animal people to be playable...)

Edited by Martin

Just now, Martin said:

Speaking of which, I really don't understand the trend of making people of color having blond/white hair. It looks cool though. 

I could think of a few reasons, like breaking up the monotony of their color palette, making sure there's contrast. I think it looks cool too, whatever the reason. 

My apologies if anyone has already shared this, but I'm not going to read through 18 pages of forum posts to double check.

Regardless I scrolling through Twitter and found out that Christina Vee has revealed herself to be the voice of Edelgard, one of the game's major characters.

https://twitter.com/CristinaVee/status/1006571917631819776

3 minutes ago, nyainou said:

I don't think Claude's skin is "mildly tanned". I've known PoC with that same/similar skin tone. PoC come in all kinds of shades. Though, I don't disagree with the notion that the designers "weren't thinking of that", considering this is a Japanese game. So I think I get your point, but from a western perspective, Claude is definitely a PoC.

Something about the phrase 'people of color' irks me, I just can't pin point it. Maybe it's how it just further separates and categorizes us as people, rather than unifying everyone as one.

But anyway, seems like Claude wasn't always planned to be tanned/colored whatever ya'll want to categorize him in from this mistake. He's also clipping through his cape collar, I really want to like this game but it's so unpolished, and the archers the back being clear copy and pastes like earlier examples....

Spoiler

1528839809415.jpg

5 minutes ago, Martin said:

Speaking of which, I really don't understand the trend of making people of color having blond/white hair. It looks cool though. (But I still really want animal people to be playable...)

I think it comes from japanese gyaru girl fashion honestly.

1 minute ago, thanny said:

Something about the phrase 'people of color' irks me, I just can't pin point it. Maybe it's how it just further separates and categorizes us as people, rather than unifying everyone as one.

But anyway, seems like Claude wasn't always planned to be tanned/colored whatever ya'll want to categorize him in from this mistake. He's also clipping through his cape collar, I really want to like this game but it's so unpolished, and the archers the back being clear copy and pastes like earlier examples....

Reveal hidden contents

1528839809415.jpg

I understand what you mean, but it is useful when having conversations about topics such as these.

Also, this same thing with inconsistency in palette re: 3D model happened with Niles in Fe:F, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened in Fe:A as well. Its just a trend that sucks. Though I agree the game seems kind of unpolished from the trailer.

Just now, nyainou said:

I guess it works if you want to see them that way, but I care more about what the designer intends rather than what the viewer thinks. If he's actually meant to be black or whatever else, then that's fine. Like you said, Japanese devs don't care about that sort of thing as often, so I'm just inclined not label him as that right away when it doesn't seem that clear.

I didn't even consider white, black or any real life race for these characters until I saw it brought up, as they're all typical ambiguous anime designs to me. I guess people really do prioritize race a lot these days.

@nyainou Well, I personally find it better than just calling him "black" considering that most tanned FE characters don't really have black features other than the slightly darker skin tones. Now that I think about it, I guess would give in and just agree to call them tan. 

But yeah. The game could at least use RNG to decide the grunts' appearances. Even a few differences in hair color, type, and body type would satisfy me. 

OH! I REALLY hope that every character in the game wont be the same, lanky body build. I hope to see some absolutely massive body types in boss or even midgets! The puppet thing in the trailer already got me excited, but I WILL "eek" at the sight of a dude towering over everyone else in head-to-toe armor. UGH, that would be so cool. :)

Edited by Martin

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

OH! I REALLY hope that every character in the game wont be the same, lanky body build. I hope to see some absolutely massive body types in boss or even midgets! The puppet thing in the trailer already got me excited, but I WILL "eek" at the sight of a dude towering over everyone else in head-to-toe armor. UGH, that would be so cool. :)

Going by the artist's previous work, it seems a standard slender male/female body type is going to be pretty common, and anybody like a bulky dude or big-chested girl will be an oddity for them. That said, if IS directs them to draw something I suppose they'll do it, so we may still get some other types of character designs if they're prompted to.

9 minutes ago, nyainou said:

I understand what you mean, but it is useful when having conversations about topics such as these.

Also, this same thing with inconsistency in palette re: 3D model happened with Niles in Fe:F, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened in Fe:A as well. Its just a trend that sucks. Though I agree the game seems kind of unpolished from the trailer.

they've got almost a year to still polish it so theres a lot of time.

For a 2019 release, it looks promising. I'm just strapped in and watching to see how this goes. As for the graphics, I'm sure they aren't all final but if it stays like that, I wouldn't mind playing with it.

2 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Going by the artist's previous work, it seems a standard slender male/female body type is going to be pretty common, and anybody like a bulky dude or big-chested girl will be an oddity for them. That said, if IS directs them to draw something I suppose they'll do it, so we may still get some other types of character designs if they're prompted to.

Well hey, I wont mind too much if the big guys have a funny shape to them. With all the other games in most other video game companies going for the ultra realistic graphics, I'm getting bored of things that are pitch perfect to their realistic counter parts. I WILL be sad, but not mad if this wish does not come true. FE: Three houses is indeed the first console FE we got in a long time. But I REALLY would like to see some of the ideas I posted about earlier (which I'm a little sad that no one responded to) be explored in future FE games. 

No matter what, though, this game is a insta buy for me. 

1 hour ago, Martin said:

It does not help that Eldgaurd or whatever her name is seems to be pretty bland in personality

I wonder where you got this from when the trailer was two minutes long, and a minute and a half was taken by narration, and about thirty more seconds by gameplay snippets.

11 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

Edelgard is quite pretty and her uniform looks cool. I actually though Edelgard was a guys name......then I realize its a name in a different language. German/nordic I think.

“Noble defender” in German.

Have we discussed this map feature yet? Looks like a unique tile on the map.

5b2092545682f_Whatisthis.thumb.png.0ef48cad2d44f84c422f6a48a2bc2858.png

Could this be something akin to the Dragon Veins? 
Crests to collect??
Heal spots???

Thoughts?

Here is a better view of the space in question:

what is this better view.png

Edited by squkyshoes

I'm jumping in late, too, to this thread. Glad we got news on it at last. Also, literally every leak was completely wrong. Heh.

I agree that the overall graphical direction looks very plain and simple. Not bad, just that it's such a drastically different look from the bombastic Kozaki designs and strong color symbolism of Hidari. I think it might grow on me more when I get to have in hand, but the lack of polish is obvious in the stage the game is in. I just worry toning down the "flash" that much will make it look like a step down from the 3DS games despite being the first console mainline FE in a long time and not necessarily being one in the gameplay. 

That said, I love the choice to have it be a main character leading an actual unit of soldiers. Not only is the formation system going to be fun to play with, it gives a sense of scale the games always lacked. The choice to use generics is probably to keep the focus squarely on the lead we're controlling.

On the story, is this pre-Marth Archanea? Is this when the dragons ended up being forced to peace out and turn into manaketes? Little sleepy Tiki was shown for a reason, but I've not yet played the games with Marth as the lead.