Fire Emblem Three Houses

4 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Why are you guys scared of treehouse localizing the game? Do you realize that treehouse has been Nintendo in house localization for like since NoA started or atleast during the GameCube era?

God man, why does everyone hate treehouse?

People have stated several reasons already. The Fates localization was sub-par, the Saizo/Beruka C support got heavily altered, skinship got cut completely(though that was probably a decision from higher up), etc. You can browse through the Fates section if you'd like to find out more.. there's definitely countless threads.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Why are you guys scared of treehouse localizing the game? Do you realize that treehouse has been Nintendo in house localization for like since NoA started or atleast during the GameCube era?

I’m just sad 8-4 isn’t doing any work on the game. I loved what they did for Awakening and Echoes! 

7 minutes ago, Harvey said:

It's how they completely butchered Fates' localization. They changed dialogue in a way that original script was heavily altered and characters were altered in a way that they didn't mesh with their portrayal in the Japanese version. There are things to nitpick about such as Arthur's name (the letter H on his belt being the initial for his real name Harold) among many others

6 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

It's how they completely butchered Fates' localization. They changed dialogue in a way that original script was heavily altered and characters were altered in a way that they didn't mesh with their portrayal in the Japanese version. There are things to nitpick about such as Arthur's name (the letter H on his belt being the initial for his real name Harold) among many others

I knew the H stood for his name, but it could also stand for the word "hero" as well, which would still work for his character.

just saiyan is all

I will admit that Fates doesn't have the greatest localization, but I'm not going to count out Treehouse yet. Maybe I'm too lenient and forgiving, but I'll judge them on the final product.

24 minutes ago, Harvey said:

To be fair, they did do some dumb things with Fates localization.

1. The infamous Saizo and Beruka C-support

2. Forced in pop culture memes (did we really need Shiro to quote Smokey the Bear for example?)

3. Changed personalities for the worse. Effie is often the most cited example. Keaton and Velouria had their "doggy" shtick exaggerated to heaven and back. Same thing with Hisame and his pickle obsession (again, highly exaggerated from the original version). Both genders of Kana were made a lot more childish, even having S-ranks reduced to being more platonic. I mean, the characters were already exaggerated tropes, but Treehouse ended up making some of them even MORE exaggerated.

4. Unlike the other games, they didn't even finish the full localization, leaving two DLC's untranslated. 

5. Now I'm not sure if Treehouse was in charge of this aspect, but Fates seems to be viewed as having inferior voice acting compared to Awakening and ESPECIALLY Echoes.

Now, I don't blame them for removing the skinshipping because the idea of touching anyone, even strangers, is extremely creepy, and I don't blame them for how Soleil was handled because they likely had no choice there. Soleil is an anime stereotype that really doesn't translate well to western audiences.

Edited by Sentinel07

7 minutes ago, nyainou said:

People have stated several reasons already. The Fates localization was sub-par, the Saizo/Beruka C support got heavily altered, skinship got cut completely(though that was probably a decision from higher up), etc. You can browse through the Fates section if you'd like to find out more.. there's definitely countless threads.

2 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

I'd argue that even if fates was properly localised, it wouldn't have done justice to the plot.

Anyways, they localised Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and apart of censoring, nothing seems bad within the localization.

1 minute ago, Sentinel07 said:

To be fair, they did do some dumb things with Fates localization.

1. The infamous Saizo and Beruka C-support

2. Forced in pop culture memes (did we really need Shiro to quote Smokey the Bear for example?)

3. Changed personalities for the worse. Effie is often the most cited example. Keaton and Velouria had their "doggy" shtick exaggerated to heaven and back. Same thing with Hisame and his pickle obsession (again, highly exaggerated from the original version). Both genders of Kana were made a lot more childish, even having S-ranks reduced to being more platonic. I mean, the characters were already exaggerated tropes, but Treehouse ended up making some of them even MORE exaggerated.

4. Unlike the other games, they didn't even finish the full localization, leaving two DLC's untranslated. 

Now, I don't blame them for removing the skinshipping because the idea of touching anyone, even strangers, is extremely creepy, and I don't blame them for how Soleil was handled because they likely had no choice there. Soleil is an anime stereotype that really doesn't translate well to western audiences.

To be frank, I prefer this. Not really comfortable with marrying off my <10 year old child. 

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

I'd argue that even if fates was properly localised, it wouldn't have done justice to the plot.

Anyways, they localised Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and apart of censoring, nothing seems bad within the localization.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was handled by Nintendo of Europe. Treehouse had no part in it.

1 minute ago, nyainou said:

To be frank, I prefer this. Not really comfortable with marrying off my <10 year old child. 

The thing is, we don't really know how old Kana is. You listen to Male Kana's Japanese voice and he sounds like a young teen, whereas he sounds like an 8-year old in English.

Just now, Sentinel07 said:

The thing is, we don't really know how old Kana is. You listen to Male Kana's Japanese voice and he sounds like a young teen, whereas he sounds like an 8-year old in English.

This isn't an on-topic argument to have in this thread, but nobody in this world could convince me that Kana is older than, like, 12. Like you said, Kana sounds like an 8-year old in English. It's good that they altered their S-supports to be more platonic for the localization. One of the best things they could've done, aside from axing child S-supports altogether. 

1 minute ago, silveraura25 said:

Oh yeah. About the voice acting. Azura's VA mentioned the VAs didn't get much to work with to do a good job.

I remember that. I think that's an industry-wide problem, which really sucks. I know its been done before, but it baffles me how anybody can expect a great product when they only offer a quarter of the necessary information to work.

We’re not completely sure if Treehouse is doing the localization. But what I’ve seen so far, it’s pretty good as to how the vocals are directed, especially the song which is directed by the voice actor of Ike / Lukas.

2 minutes ago, Aera said:

We’re not completely sure if Treehouse is doing the localization. But what I’ve seen so far, it’s pretty good as to how the vocals are directed, especially the song which is directed by the voice actor of Ike / Lukas.

Wait, what?

15 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Awakening also did this.

There's at least one Lord of the Rings reference that comes to mind, and Owain references MST3K for crying out loud.

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Awakening also did this.

There's at least one Lord of the Rings reference that comes to mind, and Owain references MST3K for crying out loud.

You are correct, and frankly it's why I'm actually not quite as high on 8-4's handling of Awakening's script. 

It's why I much prefer their translation for Echoes. They kept that one straight to the point without all the nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

You are correct, and frankly it's why I'm actually not quite as high on 8-4's handling of Awakening's script. 

It's why I much prefer their translation for Echoes. They kept that one straight to the point without all the nonsense. 

Yes, it's also why I am not too terrified of Treehouse.

Their Fates translation was abysmal, but I also wasn't a fan of 8-4's Awakening localization. I was scared for Echoes when I learned it was 8-4, but Echoes had by all accounts a pretty faithful and rock solid localization. So I'll give Treehouse a chance if they handle it.

The only thing that I worry about right now is voice acting, since 8-4 managed to knock it out of the park in that regard for Echoes, and I'm not quite sure Treehouse would have the ability to do the same.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Arvin said:

I'm wondering why they didn't give this one to Hidari. I know Kozaki is doing some other game so this should've went to Hidari.

Probably too busy.

They got Hidari for Echoes because they actually planned ahead to make sure they could get on his schedule. They originally wanted him for Awakening but he was too busy then as well.

2 minutes ago, Arvin said:

I'm wondering why they didn't give this one to Hidari. I know Kozaki is doing some other game so this should've went to Hidari.

I tried to look at see if Hidari was on other projects atm, but I personally couldn't find anything. Interesting to note, Hidari did an eyecatcher for BBK/BRNK, which is an anime Kozaki did character design for. I couldn't find it myself and honestly BBK/BRNK is really bad so I don't want to watch the episode for myself, but still. Interesting.

9 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Treehouse is doing this? Groan...8-4 went above and beyond for SoV, so I feel terrible now...

It has not been confirmed who is localizing 3H. We're all just speculating.