Fire Emblem Three Houses

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, senior firehood said:

my heart jumped up for a second.......then after i realised that was a fake...my world goes down......but i really hope that we getting a fire emblem direct

In the mean time why don’t you read some good old sword and sorcery literature, like Frirz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. I just finished Karl Edward Wagner’s Kane series which I’d also recommend, although not for the faint of heart.

It goes without saying that we are going to get a direct in January since we always get one in January, but I doubt we are going to get an actual FE direct any time soon. At best we might get one in May at the convention, but I'd hope Three Houses is out by then. We'll probably get a release date whenever the January direct occurs. Just have to wait until then.

11 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

It goes without saying that we are going to get a direct in January since we always get one in January, but I doubt we are going to get an actual FE direct any time soon. At best we might get one in May at the convention, but I'd hope Three Houses is out by then. We'll probably get a release date whenever the January direct occurs. Just have to wait until then.

that might be true, i look at the nintendo direct presentation lists and saw that after every november direct,, there was a january direct after that. If we dont get a january direct then it must be february. there is no rush^^

• 5 weeks later...

One thing that caught my attention is Edelgard and the other two uniforms feel like from the future. As if they were from the 18th-19th century where the rest of the game appears to be fantasy middle ages. I wonder if the game will take place in a more industrial setting than other FE games.

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

One thing that caught my attention is Edelgard and the other two uniforms feel like from the future. As if they were from the 18th-19th century where the rest of the game appears to be fantasy middle ages. I wonder if the game will take place in a more industrial setting than other FE games.

I didn't notice that, but you're right! We do have robots/ automatons after all...

13 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I doubt they'd take it so far as to make it an actual industrial setting, but they are probably going to blur the lines between Middle Ages and Industrial. Maybe something similar to what Final Fantasy has been doing for a while.

23 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

I doubt they'd take it so far as to make it an actual industrial setting, but they are probably going to blur the lines between Middle Ages and Industrial. Maybe something similar to what Final Fantasy has been doing for a while.

I'm just going to call it, if fire emblem does this they will botch it hard.

Who here's willing to bet the game will start with another premonition that pointlessly shows a later plot-point out of context for no reason and THEN starts where the story begins.

2 minutes ago, Guest Dingo said:

Who here's willing to bet the game will start with another premonition that pointlessly shows a later plot-point out of context for no reason and THEN starts where the story begins.

I won't call it pointless, having a dramatic start to capture the interest of people from the get go isn't a bad strategy really, I guess it will come down to about HOW they pull it off.

7 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I won't call it pointless, having a dramatic start to capture the interest of people from the get go isn't a bad strategy really, I guess it will come down to about HOW they pull it off.

It wasn't really interesting in FE13 though you just kill the bad guy and won't understand what is happening or why he is bad, all it does I guess is reveal who the bad guy is from the start.

EDIT: YOU CAN MOVE DIAGONALLY!!!! FINALLY NO MORE WEIRD FE9 WALKING IN SQUARES THING XD

Edited by Critical Sniper

13 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

the problem is that as critical sniper said awakening is really hard to understand and you really are just killing a guy, there is little substance and I found fates' opening to just feel weird and not explain anything that is to come, you are never prompted to decide between the two sides and while I think it is interesting that they show the characters that both sides have to offer, no new player is going to look around the map and make that conclusion on a first playthrough.

10 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

EDIT: YOU CAN MOVE DIAGONALLY!!!! FINALLY NO MORE WEIRD FE9 WALKING IN SQUARES THING XD

I mean the movement is no different on a tactical level and diagonal movement was a thing in 10, though I suppose this is the most direct movement yet, but it is no surprise that it took them this long to perfect the movement animations.

51 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

And on each and every occasion it's handled in a way that if you removed it, the story would either be better or not be changed at all. Not only is seeing those things happen for the first time far more effective, but showing it off early on only gives the player the knowledge of it eventually happening later and ruins it's impact.

Besides I doubt even the LCD need something flashy and shocking in their face immediately after starting a game. If they do they're probably bored by "strategy" and better off playing something like Metal Gear Rising or Call of Duty (not that I'm shaming people who play those, I'm just saying).

39 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I mean the movement is no different on a tactical level and diagonal movement was a thing in 10, though I suppose this is the most direct movement yet, but it is no surprise that it took them this long to perfect the movement animations.

Wait I thought 10 also had square movement? Well yeah it's just 3D map animations are not something I dig. I prefer something like the GBA's or FE13-14 map animations.

1 hour ago, Rose482 said:

I'm in agreement. Honestly so long as it's handled well I don't see the issue.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

It wasn't really interesting in FE13 though you just kill the bad guy and won't understand what is happening or why he is bad, all it does I guess is reveal who the bad guy is from the start.

I actually out of the 3ds titles awakening does the whole "ad medias res" the best. It starts you off in a dark room. There's another guy charging what looks to be an evil wizard and there are explosions, movement, and stuff is happening. It just kind of throws you into an urgent situation without any real context which in turn starts getting you to ask questions. Then you learn the other guy's name is chrom and this is your final battle against sorcerer man over there who just spouts something about fate before dying. The cut scene that follows is an interesting because for one in just a couple frames of animation you get an idea about the relationship between you and this chrom person where you take a hit for him. This leads to the following you stabbing him in the gut have a lot more impact. The way this scene is structured is to establish a quick friendly relationship with chrom before surprising you like that. The cutscene that follows is another good move because it continues to pile on questions. you hear a couple voices one of which sounds familiar. You open your eyes to the bright sunlight(which contrasts with the previous scenes dark tone) and none other than the face of the man you supposedly just killed. Immediately several questions should be popping into your head. "where am I?" Who is that girl?" "I thought I killed him?" "was that a dream?" "a vision of the future?" "what the hell is that mark on my arm?". Well you gotta play the game to find out. It ropes you in and imo it's effective at doing that 

Look I know you're  a sucker for Awakening but BWAHAHA what the hell is that? Nobody asks this while playing the premonition BWAHAHA.

10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

It starts you off in a dark room. There's another guy charging what looks to be an evil wizard and there are explosions, movement, and stuff is happening.

Yes he looks very villain tipical wow so good HEHEHE, and there is no explosions boy.

11 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

It just kind of throws you into an urgent situation without any real context which in turn starts getting you to ask questions.

No human thinks like that when playing a video game and goes in to their 1st seconds, actually they probably just think it's the tutorial especially with how the lower screen goes "USinG the DpaD mAKES It So tHaT YuO movE XXDDDXdxdxDxxdXdxdX" but yeah no one goes HMMM I'm going to analyze this game to death, they are probably jst thinking, is the game going to be good?

14 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Then you learn the other guy's name is chrom and this is your final battle against sorcerer man over there who just spouts something about fate before dying.

Yes his name is Chrom, I also learn this during any other premonition, it isn't doing anything special. And yeah he just goes typical villain and says "Muh fate... this can't happen XdxdxDX"

15 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

The cut scene that follows is an interesting because for one in just a couple frames of animation you get an idea about the relationship between you and this chrom person where you take a hit for him.

Not really, all I thought when I saw it the first time was like "Oh cliche of this idiot not noticing he is about to get hit and I push him but I get hit myself" this happens in any media even when the people don't like each other that much, it's just a dumb plot cliche that doesn't do anything.

17 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

This leads to the following you stabbing him in the gut have a lot more impact. The way this scene is structured is to establish a quick friendly relationship with chrom before surprising you like that.

No it doesn't, it doesn't surpries you because I can clearly see the cliche red veins POV indicating I am now being evil. And when you hit him you don't feel anything because Chrom hasn't built a character at this point yet.

19 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

The cutscene that follows is another good move because it continues to pile on questions. you hear a couple voices one of which sounds familiar.

It sounds identical, because Chrom's voice was heard literally under 30 seconds ago.

20 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

You open your eyes to the bright sunlight(which contrasts with the previous scenes dark tone) and none other than the face of the man you supposedly just killed.

Yes the previous scene was dark and this is a birght one, that doesn't do anything at all. Oh yeah he appears so I believe instantly that it was a deam because again it's a story cliche.

21 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Immediately several questions should be popping into your head. "where am I?" Who is that girl?" "I thought I killed him?" "was that a dream?" "a vision of the future?" "what the hell is that mark on my arm?". Well you gotta play the game to find out. It ropes you in and imo it's effective at doing that 

No they don't all I ask is "How is the story going to progress" and "When will the next chapter start" maybe even comment "Well that was short". But let me answer your questions with what I thought when I first played the game. "I am in a field, that is a girl, hmm I guess it was a dream then, yeah it's the most plausible thing, and oh this mark does look weird it's a bit cree- wow dude you pulled me way too close to you, well I guess I did kill you lel" That's all. I don't analyze the game for every pixel and you also weren't thinking this when you started playing for the 1st time stop lying. 

But one last thing...... 
AHHHHH..... THE REASON YOU KEEP PLAYING THE FUCKING GAME IS BECAUSE YOU LITERALLY JUST STARTED NOT BECAUSE YOU WERE ANALYZING LIKE FUCKING EINSTEIN WAS WITH PHYSICS WHEN SOMEONE GRABBED THIS GAME IT WAS BECAUSE THEY SAW A PRETTY COMMERCIAL, BOUGHT IT AND IS STILL PLAYING BECAUSE IT'S ONLY BEEN 2 MINUTES SINCE THEY STARTED PLAYING.

Seriously dude, I don't think you were even serious when writing this, you are like a typical Ms. English Generic who is like "HEHEM alright students what did the author mean when he said the floor was yellow???!?? Uhm Yes Monica?" "I think it meant the shining of the sun and optimism of the person... (lel what)" "OMGZ YES YOU'VE A POINT!!"

i didn't think it was possible to be that much of a dick, and here we are

EDIT: in case it's ambiguous, op was suspended for that shit post, there's no reason to respond to them, carry on

Edited by Integrity

46 minutes ago, Integrity said:

i didn't think it was possible to be that much of a dick, and here we are

EDIT: in case it's ambiguous, op was suspended for that shit post, there's no reason to respond to them, carry on

I thank you for that

even so... sheesh wtf was that about? I was just analyzing something I thought the game did well and why I thought it was effective. That guy seriously has a chip on his shoulder for some reason and I have no clue why. *shrugs* oh well.

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I thank you for that

even so... sheesh wtf was that about? I was just analyzing something I thought the game did well and why I thought it was effective. That guy seriously has a chip on his shoulder for some reason and I have no clue why. *shrugs* oh well.

i mean honestly, you read way more into awakening than was reasonable; awakening is my probably second fave and the opening sequence was just a pretty generic oh my god future sight scene that i honestly mostly forget exists until i play it again. you were analyzing something you thought the game did well, and i disagree that it did it well in any way.

but op was a douche instead of just disagreeing and hey here we are

1 minute ago, Integrity said:

i mean honestly, you read way more into awakening than was reasonable; awakening is my probably second fave and the opening sequence was just a pretty generic oh my god future sight scene that i honestly mostly forget exists until i play it again. you were analyzing something you thought the game did well, and i disagree that it did it well in any way.

but op was a douche instead of just disagreeing and hey here we are

Fair enough I suppose. I just believe out of the 3ds titles it does it best because of the amount of questions it gets you to ask(if you aren’t super trope savy anyway). I may have looked a little too deep into it but I still think it is at least a decently effective opener to a story 

honestly that's fair enough, if you're not a savvy story reader and you're just jumping the fuck in awakening does a fine job and deserves that credit.

as a popcorn story, awakening is good and fine - and honestly part of why i like awakening best of the main story games is that it is a good popcorn story - but attributing serious quality to it like your original analysis that set op fuckerino off is just a bit off base imo, given as it's a story that isn't really meant to be deep or to appeal strongly to the intellect. it's popcorn.

EDIT: re: ottservia, not the reason i might just ban guest posting or my mate tryhard

Edited by Integrity