Fire Emblem Three Houses

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Sorry; I'm just personally a bit tired of art style complaints every time something new happens.

That's fair. If you personally like it, I can see why it would be tiring. It's rather subjective what styles are "Fire Emblem-y" or if there is even a single style that "fits" the series. I'm getting more of a Tales of, or SMT feel from the art/character designs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, squkyshoes said:

what is this better view.png

Seems like a DS style game map save point to me. The overview map in the trailer made it seem to me like the maps could expand and be way bigger once you fulfill some kind of objective in them so save points would make sense in much bigger maps.

3 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Do you think so? I was seeing him as just a darker toned character like Gray, so I'm not sure if he's intended to be a black character. Not that I care which he is, bit his design seems rather ambiguous at best.

Im not even gonna bother on the rest of your posts on the subject cuz thats a lot to unpack and i doubt eclipse would appreciate a full on discussion about that. So ill narrow it down. Representation matters. Considering how even avatars dont have dark skin options, having a lord be very obviously not white is a pretty big step. Darker skinned people in FE were never lead characters. They were either secondary (Gray, the Khans), villainous (Validar, Aversa, erc), or portrayed as a joke. (Devdan/Danved) So a main character who has very obviously not white features, is hugely story important, and a main lord, is noteworthy. Hes very dark skinned  

Also, if "race doesnt matter" in FE, why not have MORE poc in the series? People being excited about Claude cuz hes so not white, is going to happen. The nation hes from might actually have people who have his level of melanin for all we know  

is it me or does Edelgard look like Daenerys Targaryen with the very whiteish hair and lilac eyes? Can i be getting my A Song of Ice And Fire Emblem at last?

image.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I wonder where you got this from when the trailer was two minutes long, and a minute and a half was taken by narration, and about thirty more seconds by gameplay snippets.

“Noble defender” in German.

From the thirty seconds that it did showed her and I'm just saying, from what I heard and saw through her dialogue, she seems to be heading into the "noble hero" type personality, which I personally dub as bland. Right now it seems that way. I'm not saying that this type of personality will be a definite or anything, just that if she does end being how I imagine her to be, I don't think I'll really remember her that much in the distant future. 

1 hour ago, thanny said:

Something about the phrase 'people of color' irks me, I just can't pin point it. Maybe it's how it just further separates and categorizes us as people, rather than unifying everyone as one.

It's the best option, as I viewed the other options being "Ambiguously Brown", which would be disrespectful imo. Or listing off "Black/Hispanic/Arabic/Indian" every time, which still discounts Polynesians, North American Tribesman and other groups while simultaneously being long as fuck to type.

So I went with PoC just to keep things simple.

2 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Also, if "race doesnt matter" in FE, why not have MORE poc in the series? People being excited about Claude cuz hes so not white, is going to happen. The nation hes from might actually have people who have his level of melanin for all we know  

If this is a response to what I said, I was trying to echo this same notion, just by explaining that characters probably don't think of people as "black/white/hispanic etc" the same way we think of them. Especially since it's from a Japanese developer, who also doesn't have those same concepts. So ultimately having more diverse skin tones isn't something the characters gonna draw attention to with people like Niles/Tobin in previous games, despite them being clearly different in appearance.

32 minutes ago, squkyshoes said:

Have we discussed this map feature yet? Looks like a unique tile on the map.

5b2092545682f_Whatisthis.thumb.png.0ef48cad2d44f84c422f6a48a2bc2858.png

Could this be something akin to the Dragon Veins? 
Crests to collect??
Heal spots???

Thoughts?

Here is a better view of the space in question:

what is this better view.png

Now that I actually...you know... FINISHED watching the trailer with my analysis eyes, I actually found a lot more instances of this tile in the game footage.

Here, when Claude is shooting an arrow

Spoiler

image.png.0f38a1a6b34326cd712fb8ad57ba9454.png

Here, in this map, where they seem to be... guarding it?

Spoiler

image.png.0d20170779d3085c16cc7ee93a385108.png

image.thumb.png.3158a1f40bfe1dc337fcd498f2af9919.png

And when the map turns on the same map, it shows as this light blue, diamond / sparkle shaped tile

image.thumb.png.83961bc0ad38282bfa2a3b5d8ce4c976.png

I've only played a handful of FE games, but I haven't come across this tile in any of those.

Edited by squkyshoes

We need more people of color in this franchise, and I'm glad Claude has a deeper complexion than the other two main royals (although that pale model is such a crime). I'm hoping he comes from a nation with people mostly of his complexion or darker as well, and that he is a well written character. 

Here's hoping they pull through with dark skinned black characters next!

Edited by ExaltedViolinist

As a dark toned fellow myself, I'm all for more diversity, especially for characters that look more like African people. I just hope that whatever dark skinned characters in the future will actually have bigger lips, wider nose, bushy hair texture, and ect. But I'm completely cool with this not being the case. For one, I don't want to be one of those dudes who snaps at others because of the lack of people that have features like mine. Plus, I can't really picture a legit African descent  person being in an anime without him/her looking a bit weird. 

This game gives me Radiant Dawn vibes. 

1. No fan service.

2. More realistic graphics.

3. The allied units to capture the sense of scale was done in RD but this time they are part of your units instead of NPCs.

4. The title, the three countries and the three protagonists from each of these countries imply that if these countries go to war with each other (and they most certainly will) we can see multiple perspectives because each lord will represent one of the kingdoms. 

Edited by Icelerate

9 hours ago, bufkus said:

Claude's more likely to be gay than a womanizer lol

This is most likely coming from the same artist that did the visual novel, "Uta No Prince Sama"- otome boys tend to be more "flowery" than normal. My big concern is that all of them are going to look like JPOP idols and not have enough body diversity. (I.e. brawnier/muscular people. I'm not the biggest fan of Kozaki, but I loved how his designs had a lot of muscle to them)

9 hours ago, HJHolon said:

Totally offtopic, but did you guys get the Last Story concept art "leak" as well? It surprised me when that was being shared around, I thought more people had played TLS.

I didn't hear about that leak, but that's hilarious. I really liked The Last Story, so I would've clocked it as false right away.

9 hours ago, zelmes said:

From the art I've seen, her style for eyes look more elongated. The fire emblem characters have smaller and more emphasized eyes, which looks like one of the Atlus artists. This is why I'm asking for confirmation, since people seem to be basing their assertion on a Twitter post that just claims it's Chinatsu.

On formations, this is just me speculating but I think it could simply be this game's way of dealing with skills (along with combat arts). The triangle formation they showcased could be a Lunge-type formation, for instance, putting your army on the other side after battle.

Chinatsu may have altered her style to fit with the more serious tone of Fire Emblem more. Look at Kozaki's work with No More Heroes and Fire Emblem; although there's plenty of similarities, there's some slight differences as well (color palette for starters)

8 hours ago, thedman975 said:

This artstyle scares me. It's too slender an unappealing

I'm hoping some brawnier characters get revealed soon. Blythe doesn't seem to be super thin like the other 3, but it's still too early to tell.

7 hours ago, Laptopispy said:

Could this sword this cloaked figure is holding in the painting at the beginning be the ruined sword the woman is holding later on?

4.png

I'm going to say yes. She's wearing similar attire as well. She's probably a manakete that watches over that sword.

6 hours ago, Agnar said:

Hmmmmmm........ I wonder........

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.png

Wow that's really similar. I don't think it's the same continent, mainly due to the large land mass to the left of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was different. After all, Archanea was vastly different by Awakening.

4 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Claude is everything. A lord of color, yes please! Between him and Edelgard, i think we are in for a good time. Do the lords command hordes of generics? It looks like it and that's interesting. 

And he's the first Bow lord! I have a feeling he's going to be great.

I feel bad for Dimitri, everyone loves the other 2 more. Watch how it'll get memed.

2 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I feel bad for Dimitri, everyone loves the other 2 more. Watch how it'll get memed.

Dimitri's hair looks like a yellow mop. I can't stand it, haha. I laugh a bit every time I see him.

3 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

What about the lovable, Hoshidian archer everyone hates, Takumi? 

11 minutes ago, jimmyice said:

Beautiful theory, my friend! And don't worry, your English is probably better than mine. With the three (and possibly more) factions, I could kind of hope to see battles where there are three way battles! 

7 minutes ago, Martin said:

As a dark toned fellow myself, I'm all for more diversity, especially for characters that look more like African people. I just hope that whatever dark skinned characters in the future will actually have bigger lips, wider nose, bushy hair texture, and ect. But I'm completely cool with this not being the case. For one, I don't want to be one of those dudes who snaps at others because of the lack of people that have features like mine. Plus, I can't really picture a legit African descent  person being in an anime without him/her looking a bit weird. 

Basilio looked pretty good by being a more Afro-designed dude  so it can be done in animu style  

13 minutes ago, MU woadie said:

It's the best option, as I viewed the other options being "Ambiguously Brown", which would be disrespectful imo. Or listing off "Black/Hispanic/Arabic/Indian" every time, which still discounts Polynesians, North American Tribesman and other groups while simultaneously being long as fuck to type.

So I went with PoC just to keep things simple.

If this is a response to what I said, I was trying to echo this same notion, just by explaining that characters probably don't think of people as "black/white/hispanic etc" the same way we think of them. Especially since it's from a Japanese developer, who also doesn't have those same concepts. So ultimately having more diverse skin tones isn't something the characters gonna draw attention to with people like Niles/Tobin in previous games, despite them being clearly different in appearance.

The thing is, we dont yet know if Claude's features have an impact. While you may be right in that no one would remark on it in-universe, that isnt really the point. Having visible diversity isnt gonna hurt. And i think its about time to hold Japan more accountable for their obsession of European beauty standards. :Cyas:

Im curious about Byleth and gameplay. Are they gonna be like Mark or Kiran? Or are thry gonna be playable? I wouldnt mind if they were more like Kiran and just a figure your guys interact with in the base/castle type thing, and not be an actual unit. 

4 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

This is most likely coming from the same artist that did the visual novel, "Uta No Prince Sama"- otome boys tend to be more "flowery" than normal. My big concern is that all of them are going to look like JPOP idols and not have enough body diversity. (I.e. brawnier/muscular people. I'm not the biggest fan of Kozaki, but I loved how his designs had a lot of muscle to them)

it will be very sad if that is the case, especially after heroes made hawkeye, like, the sexiest thing ever. Though I can say it is also just because, I tend to like my mercenaries a bit more broken in than what this style may allow, and a berserker needs to have arms like tree trunks (obvious steroid abuse but it is for the best).

Or you know, we just not inject politics into our Japanese Strategy Role Playing Game with mediocre stories, and just enjoy it for what it is. Claude looks Mediterranean to me anyway.

Im thinking those are dragon veins btw.

10 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Yeet. Poor Dimitri looks like Clive and Fernand's manbaby. 

I also understand the longing for body type diversity. We need more of that too. Im here for buff men and women. Especially buff women. 

1 minute ago, thecrimsonflash said:

it will be very sad if that is the case, especially after heroes made hawkeye, like, the sexiest thing ever. Though I can say it is also just because, I tend to like my mercenaries a bit more broken in than what this style may allow, and a berserker needs to have arms like tree trunks (obvious steroid abuse but it is for the best).

I agree ten thousand percent! We need bigger bois! 

However, it would also be pretty neat to see abnormally smaller fellows.

3 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Basilio looked pretty good by being a more Afro-designed dude  so it can be done in animu style  

The thing is, we dont yet know if Claude's features have an impact. While you may be right in that no one would remark on it in-universe, that isnt really the point. Having visible diversity isnt gonna hurt. And i think its about time to hold Japan more accountable for their obsession of European beauty standards. :Cyas: 

Oh yeah! Basillio. Yeah, he looks pretty cool anime style and I can't argue with that. 

Speaking of which, it absolutely drives me nuts to see darker toned people ruling over snowy regions. I hope this is not going to be the case for Claude .

7 minutes ago, nyainou said:

Dimitri's hair looks like a yellow mop. I can't stand it, haha. I laugh a bit every time I see him.

Someone earlier said he looked like a 90s boy band member and now I can't help but think he looks like a Backstreet Boy.

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

What about the lovable, Hoshidian archer everyone hates, Takumi? 

Takumi isn't a lord, or even considered a main character in Fates. It was Corrin and Azura. Takumi was an important supporting character. Claude is being marketed as a main protagonist.

The closest thing to Claude is Homer from Tear Ring Saga.

2 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Especially in the wake of Linus, who's being praised for his Bara-friendly design. Linus really boomed in popularity. 

Maybe it's too early to say, but I really hoped the artist made some characters with muscle. I want a cast of soldiers, not a cast of idols that look like one of those huge JPOP groups that is simply doing a cosplay.

1 minute ago, Dandy Druid said:

Someone earlier said he looked like a 90s boy band member and now I can't help but think he looks like a Backstreet Boy.

Takumi isn't a lord, or even considered a main character in Fates. It was Corrin and Azura. Takumi was an important supporting character. Claude is being marketed as a main protagonist.

The closest thing to Claude is Homer from Tear Ring Saga.

Especially in the wake of Linus, who's being praised for his Bara-friendly design. Linus really boomed in popularity. 

Maybe it's too early to say, but I really hoped the artist made some characters with muscle. I want a cast of soldiers, not a cast of idols that look like one of those huge JPOP groups that is simply doing a cosplay.

It also would be nice to alleviate some of the memes about a jpop group slaying a great evil, now with facepetting, because that is such an ignorant thing to say.

most of the time it is just a crazy dragon, nothing is truly evil.

15 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Im curious about Byleth and gameplay. Are they gonna be like Mark or Kiran? Or are thry gonna be playable? I wouldnt mind if they were more like Kiran and just a figure your guys interact with in the base/castle type thing, and not be an actual unit. 

Byleth has already been seen as playable. He's the one landing a critical hit later on.

Lol. "Homer" as a lord. 

I'm curious about the age range of a player's army in this game. Will it be strictly lolis and people in their prime? I sure as hell hope not. I don't at all mind seeing another Gunter or Jagen. Or Noahs of the such. 

A pretty decent swordmaster old dude. I'd be really happy to see that in this game. 

1 minute ago, Sentinel07 said:

Byleth has already been seen as playable. He's the one landing a critical hit later on.

Oh i must have missed that. Hmmm i hope they arent a spotlight hog then. 

From what I saw, the dude does not even speak, so I'm certain he wont be getting Robin/Corrin levels of attention. 

EDIT: Then again, I completely forgot what the trailers looked like for Fates and Awakening, so I guess that's not really a fair judgment. 

Edited by Martin