Fire Emblem Three Houses

3 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

World building isn't a zero-sum game. You can and should talk about all those things. Justifying smaller subsets of the population is a matter of better writing, and it doesn't just apply to Caucasians and non-Caucasians. As Thecrimsonflash mentions after you, Awakening had the character Panne who is apparently the last of her kind and no one really knows anything about Taguel or where they come from. She just exists and it's weird.  If you plopped a white guy into an East Asian fantasy counterpart country, with no explanation for why he's the only one like that, I'd be raising an eyebrow too.

Wait, are you saying LGBT people don't come from a specific country...?

At least for me, its something I can shrug my shoulders at and move on from. I recognize that nonchalance isn't everyone's cup of tea, though. Looks like it just isn't high on my personal priority list. p:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like something similar to SoV that way we can follow along all three of the lords, but I'm expecting something more linear. I can't really picture a way for all three of them too stay together for the whole adventure considering what Edelgard says in the trailer about not forgetting about her. So either we have to choose between Dmitri or Claude only or Byleth gets separated from all three as soon as the main conflict starts. We then go around recruiting everybody as we learn more about what is going on in the continent.

1 minute ago, YingofDarkness said:

I'd like something similar to SoV that way we can follow along all three of the lords, but I'm expecting something more linear. I can't really picture a way for all three of them too stay together for the whole adventure considering what Edelgard says in the trailer about not forgetting about her. So either we have to choose between Dmitri or Claude only or Byleth gets separated from all three as soon as the main conflict starts. We then go around recruiting everybody as we learn more about what is going on in the continent.

That would be fun, though I'd be sad to be separated so soon from characters I've prematurely gotten attached to. ):

Going from the trailer, I'm not too thrilled.

Almost everything in the gameplay looked ugly and off putting like generic soldiers disappearing from the screen cause they're 20 degrees from the left or right of the screen. Or when they're charging at the start of a battle scene, they run through a defender as if they were a ghost. Speaking of clipping, Teacher's blue dagger clips through his coat when he's jogging about. They're all minor, but all add up to help with ruining immersion and give the impression that the trailer was rushed or was just conceived with a lack of attention to detail.

The 2D art looks nice, but it's spoiled by the 3D character models looking all like glassy eyed mannequins in the gameplay. It's something I'm willing to look past on the 3DS, but the circumstances are way different here.

When I hear "Crests, tokens of the Goddess' power" and "The crests are to blame", all I'm thinking is "Wow, these are the Macguffins of the story?"

The 3D CG cutscenes are really bad. Other than the first two shots with the stoic lady, it looks like it's running in 15 fps but with a lot of in-betweens missing. When she opens her mouth while hugging the sword, I could imagine her saying "You're looking at me like I'm some sort of Eskimo racist." However, the most apt comparison I could make is to Berserk 2016. Same visual flatness, poor animation and very low attention to detail. https://youtu.be/E40KiYBJAHM

I'm not too delighted at the likely possibility that 'Teacher' is a bland self insert like Kris/Robin/Corrin but I'm hopeful that he'll be less integral to the plot than the other lords.

So yeah, not particularly inspiring confidence for me, but I'm hoping that the story has some twist that exceeds my expectation and new gameplay elements in the series like the formation make it a worthwhile purchase when the time comes. 

On 6/29/2018 at 1:58 PM, MyBoyHector said:

Oh god do not bring those replies involving things like social justice or sexist traditions into a fantasy game, it just never ends well, nor was it the reason why I said my original comment in the first place. If anything, if an admin would happy purge those posts to keep things from going toxic (which sadly is the inevitable conclusion when such words are uttered).

My original reason why I said it was going back to unit and class identity, and with the exception of fates, have had it that way. Now I'm not saying to give the Males their own version, personally I think FE could easily do it. Move Falcon Knight to its own class tree, and have it promote into Griffon Knight/Lord or Hippogriff Rider. In most fantasy settings they are far stronger mount physically then a Pegasus, who prefer lighter loads and less armour.

Then for the love of everything, USE THE REPORT BUTTON.  If you want something done, do it yourself.

On 6/29/2018 at 2:34 PM, nyainou said:

Especially with how expensive Switch games are. Its nice to have some familiarity, and I'm not saying FE should go full BotW, but some changes need to be made to keep people interested. Unisex classes, diversified casts, multiple same-sex supports, battle arts, troops, etc. 

The only thing that needs to stay in a Fire Emblem game is strategy. That's it. 

These two things don't make sense together.

6 hours ago, nyainou said:

I just can't imagine getting so fussed up this particular part of worldbuilding. As others have stated, you can do anything in fantasy. Does it really ruin your suspension of disbelief so much to see a PoC/LGBT character in a place they "shouldn't" be? I think there are way more important parts of worldbuilding to be focused on. The socio-economic situation of a country, their religious system if any, how their government works, the class divide, etc. Hell, even their cuisine and arts feel infinitely more 1) important and 2) interesting than ""justifying"" the existence of "minorities".

It's important to people who like having immersive worlds.  May I suggest the Trails series for a glimpse of how complex a single world can be?

8 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

Judging from the answers here the problem isnt the origins of inspiration but the actual mindset that people have built over the years... Its really baffling to me how they can accept dragons, magic, woldskins, kitsune and any other crazy thing (that didn't exist in that country's history or even mythology!!) but show them a male pegasus rider and they freak their minds.... RIP i mean RIP the irony is that the only actual pegasus rider in mythology was a  male.... RIP i cant take these arguments seriously when they flip flop all over the place... (see also the Pegasus efficiency argument RIP)

I am sorry i dont want to sound rude but if the opposite side tries to put themselves on the other sides shoes they might actually understand instead of trying to find unreasonable excuses to fit their agendas...

I am almost sure there wasn't even single person who would "freak their mind" (or  even expressed mild annoyance) because idea of male pegasus knight.  Are you sure you didn't jump to conslucsion somewhere along to way?

Sorry to tell you that but your witch to be burned is in another castle.

Edited by Tenzen12

whatever and anyway .... since there is no point talking to a wall....

I dont want 3 routes because it was done very poorly in Fates.... I liked the SOV way but as someone said it makes u feel disconnected with the cast at times... I think its time we go back to  linear route this time and we can always go back to separate routes in the future....

Just an idea; what if a Leadership Stars-esque system was implemented into the formation mechanic, so say we level up our units to increase the potency of the different formations that are available to them, as the group of troops in the unit become more drilled and trained, resulting in more precise and powerful attacks through the use of changing formations.

5 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Just an idea; what if a Leadership Stars-esque system was implemented into the formation mechanic, so say we level up our units to increase the potency of the different formations that are available to them, as the group of troops in the unit become more drilled and trained, resulting in more precise and powerful attacks through the use of changing formations.

It would depend on how the stars worked and whatnot, but this is a nifty idea.

On 7/1/2018 at 3:48 PM, Sunsurge said:

It's to make sure when we ask to be included it's okay to calm us down by saying, "Japanese people aren't considered with social issues, so it's okay". So educate yourself on the casual racism of fantasy. It might help. Honestly.

If this is in reference to what I said, then I made no assertion on whether it was a good or bad thing, "okay", or not. I just told you pragmatically that Japanese developers generally do not care about this. It was a struggle to even get them to include two LGBT characters with romance options in Fates, and the response wasn't exactly fantastic from people.

It's not in order to calm anyone down if they ask for a certain thing to be included in a game, it's just saying that Japanese developers are likely not to be ones to do it until views radically change.

Edited by Edgelord

I wonder if Combat Arts will be weapon based; class based; or unit based this time. I doubt they'll be class based since that will probably still go to skills, unless they shake up the skill formula which I could see them doing again. I'd like to see combat arts be an incentive to levelling up weapon ranks, say you get a really good combat art if Edelgard or a few other units level B rank in Axes. It wouldn't be on absolutely every single unit so they can diversify the unit's in game potential, some units will be better than others because of their learnable combat arts.

1 hour ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I wonder if Combat Arts will be weapon based; class based; or unit based this time. I doubt they'll be class based since that will probably still go to skills, unless they shake up the skill formula which I could see them doing again. I'd like to see combat arts be an incentive to levelling up weapon ranks, say you get a really good combat art if Edelgard or a few other units level B rank in Axes. It wouldn't be on absolutely every single unit so they can diversify the unit's in game potential, some units will be better than others because of their learnable combat arts.

It's questions like this that leave me anxious for more information on the game. The skill system in Awakening and Fates was meant to compliment reclassing so I'm curious as to whether or not it's changed, if reclassing is even returning, and of course how combat arts will be learned. Since weapon durability is making a return I could see you learning them either through leveling up or weapon ranks.

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎01 at 5:56 PM, ElectiveToast said:

However, what peaks my curiosity more is why is a dude with a Russian name the leader of a Kingdom based in Scottish-Celtic culture. 

Yeah; that is interesting.

The only historic thing that I can think of between Scotland and Russia in particular is that, in the 1600s, Peter the Great of Russia did hire a lot of experienced Scottish sailors who didn't want to work for the British Empire (i.e. didn't want to work for England) and offered for them to settle in Russia and get away from England. He did a lot of stuff like that to Westernize Russia and bring it up-to-date. Maybe a reversal of that happened here?

43 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah; that is interesting.

The only historic thing that I can think of between Scotland and Russia in particular is that, in the 1600s, Peter the Great of Russia did hire a lot of experienced Scottish sailors who didn't want to work for the British Empire (i.e. didn't want to work for England) and offered for them to settle in Russia and get away from England. He did a lot of stuff like that to Westernize Russia and bring it up-to-date. Maybe a reversal of that happened here?

Wait, Dimitri's Kingdom has Scottish culture? If full voice acting exists in this game I volunteer to do somebody from there, assuming they dip into other accents this time and not just do American accents for every civilisation on the continent like some games. I already missed my chance with Mor Ardain in Xenoblade 2 lmao, I just feel hella patriotic whenever Scotland is featured in games, being so small and all.

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

2 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Wait, Dimitri's Kingdom has Scottish culture? If full voice acting exists in this game I volunteer to do somebody from there, assuming they dip into other accents this time and not just do American accents for every civilisation on the continent like some games. I already missed my chance with Mor Ardain in Xenoblade 2 lmao, I just feel hella patriotic whenever Scotland is featured in games, being so small and all.

I guess the accents depend on whether or not the people doing voices have the resources or location to pull it off, edelgard does not make me think it will be different in this regard than what normally happens.

3 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

From what I can gather, I’m going to make the speculation that this game will be the most realistic FE game to date in the sense that its European roots are far more solid as opposed to general fantasy. The game will also feature a ton of  European culture most of which is localized while the three nations’ cultures are more broad and generalized. In fact, there may not even be national cultures. Each nation could be a coalition of tribes each with thier own culture, and the three houses mentioned in the trailer could be the “Lord” houses in the sense they have the greatest power in their respective nations notwithstanding the Church. There could have been a Great War that brought about the rise of the three nations before the Church of Serios subjugated them to theocratic rule. 

8 hours ago, Edgelord said:

If this is in reference to what I said, then I made no assertion on whether it was a good or bad thing, "okay", or not. I just told you pragmatically that Japanese developers generally do not care about this. It was a struggle to even get them to include two LGBT characters with romance options in Fates, and the response wasn't exactly fantastic from people.

It's not in order to calm anyone down if they ask for a certain thing to be included in a game, it's just saying that Japanese developers are likely not to be ones to do it until views radically change.

Yeahhhh. But I feel like as Fire Emblem becomes more popular in the west, Nintendo may start considering the western audience's wants as well. A Japanese POV might not be the only POV considered in the future. 

On 7/1/2018 at 4:35 PM, Aera said:

PoC/LGBT characters require world-building whereas the heterosexual/cisgender white character simply exists. As you said, the problem is rooted in using European people and culture as the standard. 

This is why I think it’d be a nice idea to have a country/continent based on Asia (not Japan please), South America , or Africa. Places where white people will be the ones that require world building in order to not look out of place. Personally I’d love to see an Indian country (because I’m half Indian half English lol)

Edited by Novus

5 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Some troops in the trailer in one of the shots appear to be wearing kilts. That and the name Fergus is one linked to Scotland.

I see more Scottish people online then I would expect to considering populations but Fire Emblem has a history of taking inspiration largely from Irish (and Norse) mythology especially so I'm not overly surprised.

Edited by Edgelord

So long as they don't include the French, because they never win a war :P   (That's a Google Reference/Joke FYI before you consider the Lynch mob...)

3 hours ago, MyBoyHector said:

So long as they don't include the French, because they never win a war :P   (That's a Google Reference/Joke FYI before you consider the Lynch mob...)

I don't see how that couldn't work in Fire Emblem though, most of its countries only existed to be defeated:p

Honestly I feel like we've been represented more then enough. Not us specifically maybe, but, yeah.

Edited by Cysx

watched the trailer again and I think it is growing on me, I have been noticing a few reused designs though, who was the art director for SoV? I think they may be the same for this game, something about the cavaliers feels like SoV to me and the steel lance design has been reused from SoV.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

On 1/7/2018 at 6:35 PM, Aera said:

PoC/LGBT characters require world-building whereas the heterosexual/cisgender white character simply exists. As you said, the problem is rooted in using European people and culture as the standard. 

Anyways, Fire Emblem: Terrace House.

Not to bring up an old debate again, but that's simply not true. What world building did Danved or Heather "require" to exist? Or Flavia and Basilio, beyond "this is a different country from that of the white protagonist"? Or Ike?* Also, I thought we agreed after Fates that what we need more of is in fact better world building. Is it suddenly a bad thing if it's used to bring in more diversity?

Let's remember FE is fiction, and that no game takes place in actual medieval Europe. Continent Y can have a European aesthetic and feature gay dark skinned characters and not have to explain why they're there at all.

* if you accept that he is coded as a gay man.