Fire Emblem Three Houses

Something I just noticed. I've mentioned many times how the warriors and that guy covered in spiked armour were wearing tartan. I can't figure out if the spiked armour and the tartan (especially the kilts) e to a particular kingdom. Here's why:

Image result for fire emblem three houses

Now look at the infantry on the far left and right of this picture. It's hard to see, but they are wearing red tartan kilts and spiked shoulder-pads:

Related image

So, one would think that perhaps they're part of the same army. But then the army that shows up to attack it in the trailer is a large group of axe-wielding characters wearing blue tartan kilts. I can't find a picture to show it. But this means that the tartan, something I initially thought to be unique to a particular kingdom, probably isn't. 

Further reinforcing this (or at the very least confirming that the soldiers are wearing red tartan kilts), there's this:

Related image

Here's all those soldiers from before getting destroyed from the magic blast from the old guy's dragon-spine whip-sword, which is funny since I would've thought that he would've been their leader given his massive spiked armour. 

What do you guys think? Do you think this is going to be a kingdom-specific thing, or just something that's now part of the aesthetic of certain classes?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

What do you guys think? Do you think this is going to be a kingdom-specific thing, or just something that's now part of the aesthetic of certain classes?

I'd actually like it if it was both. Sort of like how the Hoshido and Nohrian kingdoms have their own classes and those classes have a certain look towards them. This could just be the look of the class that is only really seen or obtained from somebody who lives in that specific kingdom. I'd like that as it would also serve as some nice world building for each major area of the game.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Here's all those soldiers from before getting destroyed from the magic blast from the old guy's dragon-spine whip-sword, which is funny since I would've thought that he would've been their leader given his massive spiked armour. 

It could be a Civil War or Rebellion type thing. The map we have shows three prominent names that could be sovereign nations or large subdivisions if Fodlan is under some sort of united rule. From what we've seen, it looks like the game at least starts at some sort of military academy that has students from all over, (if we're correct in our assumptions about where our three lords come from) so the political climate could be something akin to the holy roman empire, with a large number of semi-autonomous states bound together by some central government (maybe the church?).

I Think it could be a lot of fun to see a HRE type place torn apart by controversy surrounding the church, catholic reformation style

1 hour ago, colossus86 said:

It could be a Civil War or Rebellion type thing. The map we have shows three prominent names that could be sovereign nations or large subdivisions if Fodlan is under some sort of united rule. From what we've seen, it looks like the game at least starts at some sort of military academy that has students from all over, (if we're correct in our assumptions about where our three lords come from) so the political climate could be something akin to the holy roman empire, with a large number of semi-autonomous states bound together by some central government (maybe the church?).

I Think it could be a lot of fun to see a HRE type place torn apart by controversy surrounding the church, catholic reformation style

The popes of old had all kinds of wacky inheritance problems and fights born from it.

It would be lots of fun if in TH the war is born out of conflict with the holy throne instead of a royal one. With multiple candidates fighting for th title, some trying to win us over others ordering our immediate eradication. And them the lords of the lands are forced to one by one choose who they are siding with, with more than some doing it just for an excuse to fight and conquer the lands of old political enemies.

Edited by RexBolt

14 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I think the fact that the spiked helmet and fur is common to every footsoldier we see in the "blue" army, and the one guy you brought up being stopped by a knight that's relatively clearly part of the "red" army imply that the red tartan probably just happens to be some red sign of rank.

In any case, the prominence of the blue color on the axe wielding soldier uniforms could imply they're from Dimitri's nation, Fergus. Their flag is blue, and so is Dimitri's cape, while Edelgard wears red for Adraetea, and Claude yellow for Leicester. And more importantly, the church of Seiros most likely has its base of operations in Adraetea(as well as the school, their emblem is visible at the entrance), yet Edelgard opposing it seems to be a pretty major plot point. In other words, the enemy nation could be our very own, assuming she is indeed the main character out of the three lords + Byleth.

Those barbarian guys could be a neutral faction I suppose, but beyond the color, it's not that logical for bandits-types to go toe to toe with an entire army, and they do wear sophisticated armor, or even use swords for that guy up there.

Edited by Cysx

I believe Three Houses is inspired from the Catholic-Protestant war especially the Thirty Years War. What if Adraetea is the Catholic League, Fergus the Protestant Union and Leicester the Islamic Sultanate OR Adraetea the Catholics, Fergus the Lutherans, an Leicester the Calvinists?

I know we only saw iron weapons, but did anyone see what their weapon rank was? The reason I ask is because I wonder if bronze weapons are still in the game. I also hope some of the weapons lost their nerfs like the javelin. Please don't say that echoes took the nerf away. Echoes is a remake of gaiden so it doesn't mean that the javelin lost its nerf. 

Edited by TheWildestCat
forgot to say something

8 hours ago, TheWildestCat said:

I know we only saw iron weapons, but did anyone see what their weapon rank was? The reason I ask is because I wonder if bronze weapons are still in the game. I also hope some of the weapons lost their nerfs like the javelin. Please don't say that echoes took the nerf away. Echoes is a remake of gaiden so it doesn't mean that the javelin lost its nerf. 

We don't see weapon ranks but Edelgard has access to steel weapons at lvl 3, and given the unlikelyhood of her having a C rank that early, I'd assume bronze weapons are gone

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 3 characters long

Well, I'm not especially relevant nor timely to this discussion, but I give up.

The Nintendo page says "Your protagonist meets three main characters – Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude – who play important roles in the story"

Which means we're getting another MU as the MC. Fantastic. My fears are realized.

I'm going to go die in a hole now, goodbye.

3 hours ago, Guest 3 characters long said:

The Nintendo page says "Your protagonist meets three main characters – Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude – who play important roles in the story"

Which means we're getting another MU as the MC. Fantastic. My fears are realized.

The quote you used implies that Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are more important that the MU. There's no reason to panic as of yet, let's just wait until after Smash Ultimate is released and more info starts trickling in. Then we can get as scared and horrified as we want!

7 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

The quote you used implies that Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are more important that the MU. There's no reason to panic as of yet, let's just wait until after Smash Ultimate is released and more info starts trickling in. Then we can get as scared and horrified as we want!

No it actually does not imply that at all at best they could be as important as the Hoshido/Nohr royals since the 2 nations were the focus or the Magvel royals helping the 2 MCs of that game. Also if their written well who gives a damn if their the central protagonist....

On 22.10.2018 at 9:57 AM, jake72002 said:

I believe Three Houses is inspired from the Catholic-Protestant war especially the Thirty Years War. What if Adraetea is the Catholic League, Fergus the Protestant Union and Leicester the Islamic Sultanate OR Adraetea the Catholics, Fergus the Lutherans, an Leicester the Calvinists?

...or three house is maybe inspired from "Record of Grandcrest War"...i know it sounds stupid... but there are powerful crests, chaos ( in the trailer i saw nothing with chaos but the cipher card from niamh speak of boundless chaos), vampires and werewolfs and many more.... that anime was good but i hope fe 3h have something different^^

16 hours ago, senior firehood said:

...or three house is maybe inspired from "Record of Grandcrest War"...i know it sounds stupid... but there are powerful crests, chaos ( in the trailer i saw nothing with chaos but the cipher card from niamh speak of boundless chaos), vampires and werewolfs and many more.... that anime was good but i hope fe 3h have something different^^

It could be inspired from that but the setting and circumstances may be different.

P.S. Crest guns/crossbows, anyone? :D:

On 11/15/2018 at 7:18 PM, Guest 3 characters long said:

The reason MU failed in last games is because there was no real reason for an MU, because  there was no real choice in the game. The story narrative was too linear and giving the MU dialogue gave them their own separate personality. 

But with Byleth appearing to be a silent protagonist, and the choice where you can choose what weapon Ms.Edgelord can train in, I think IS is learning how to introduce an avatar protag. 

1 hour ago, ElectiveToast said:

The reason MU failed in last games is because there was no real reason for an MU, because  there was no real choice in the game. The story narrative was too linear and giving the MU dialogue gave them their own separate personality. 

But with Byleth appearing to be a silent protagonist, and the choice where you can choose what weapon Ms.Edgelord can train in, I think IS is learning how to introduce an avatar protag. 

The fact that Byleth looks to be a sort of military instructor has already raised my hopes. That raises the possibility that he might be a little older than previous Avatars and not be a rookie fighter like the others as well. It looks like a more perfect role for the player.

Really, Robin and Corrin already being really strong before they've even done anything always bugged me. Byleth having previous real combat experience (at least I'm hoping that's the case) sounds a lot better.

5 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

The fact that Byleth looks to be a sort of military instructor has already raised my hopes. That raises the possibility that he might be a little older than previous Avatars and not be a rookie fighter like the others as well. It looks like a more perfect role for the player.

Really, Robin and Corrin already being really strong before they've even done anything always bugged me. Byleth having previous real combat experience (at least I'm hoping that's the case) sounds a lot better.

What if we're the Jagen this time around? That'll be interesting.

...or the next Seth, to ensure Byleth is still viable in lategame.

31 minutes ago, senior firehood said:

SO.... a couple more days then smash ultimate is out, so the most big games are released.......waiting for some fire emblem direct. Do you think they show us something  on january or later on march , april?

The expo is in May so worst case scenario we're hearing anything in May. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The expo is in May so worst case scenario we're hearing anything in May. 

Thing is its not really being hyped up by Nintendo themselves especially since its a JP event and I'm sure most oversea fans/overall consumers won't even know its being taken place. Also no news on any delays right now from any financial briefings the latest is still Spring with Yoshi so I think it'll promote the post release of the game through the cards and maybe typical Heroes.

5 hours ago, Guest Lae said:

Thing is its not really being hyped up by Nintendo themselves especially since its a JP event and I'm sure most oversea fans/overall consumers won't even know its being taken place. Also no news on any delays right now from any financial briefings the latest is still Spring with Yoshi so I think it'll promote the post release of the game through the cards and maybe typical Heroes.

As far as I'm aware they haven't ever revealed anything through Cipher or Heroes. Cipher has th same problem the expo has since it is Japan only, and although Heroes is extremely popular there is no real way for them to give us a substantial amount of information (which is really what this game needs right now). At most we can get a couple of lines of dialogue from Edelgard, Dmitri, and Claude that would give us hints as what Three Houses is about, if thy decide to first ho the Heroes route.

I still think we are going to get a little more in January and then a Famitsu article every month until the Expo/release date. Closer to the release date we will also be getting gameplay videos like with the 3DS games.

12 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

As far as I'm aware they haven't ever revealed anything through Cipher or Heroes. Cipher has th same problem the expo has since it is Japan only, and although Heroes is extremely popular there is no real way for them to give us a substantial amount of information (which is really what this game needs right now). At most we can get a couple of lines of dialogue from Edelgard, Dmitri, and Claude that would give us hints as what Three Houses is about, if thy decide to first ho the Heroes route.

I still think we are going to get a little more in January and then a Famitsu article every month until the Expo/release date. Closer to the release date we will also be getting gameplay videos like with the 3DS games.

As far as I'm concerned they dont reveal new character art in upcoming cards until the game has already been release prior. Other franchises also follow suit to this rule to avoid spoilers which obviously makes sense. So if they reveal anything at the expo regarding cipher for June (following the current pattern) it'll be when the game already released. I really hope they don't go the Heroes route since that would likely spoil unique skills and legendary weapons for the main characters unless it's after we play through the game....If I want to predict if it's the first worldwide release FE game in spring it'll be release early-mid April which would be enough time for it to be around to further show in May 4th with whatever promo they'll do there(again just a guess). Also yeah I agree we'll get more info by January than famitsu stuff and gameplay videos until it comes out.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

If we don't any any new information about the game by the end of the month. I'm going to assume that the game has been postponed again. A Spring launch date ranges from March to June. They need time to build up hype for the game.

I agree! It's been months since they've shown the first trailer, which doesn't show much, along with tiny bits of information sprinkled on the website.

I'm expecting a Direct either on the 10th or 17th for the following reasons:

1. Nintendo has held a Direct in January every year since 2013, with the exceptions of 2014 and 2016. 2014 had a Direct a month later in February and there was a Direct two months prior to January 2016 so the timing wasn't right.
  2. Nintendo has zero release dates for their published software past January as of now. This includes multiple titles still dated for spring like Yoshi and Fire Emblem, and the former has had a Japanese retailer give it an oddly specific release date of April 26th recently. The second half of 2018 was dedicated to marketing Mario Party, Pokemon, and Smash which makes the general 2019 info drought understandable, but we're in the new year now.
  3. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe releases on the 11th and is easily their biggest title for the month, and Nintendo frequently markets imminent releases in Directs, so I'll go ahead and say the 10th is more likely.
  4. Specific to Fire Emblem, assuming a release date in May or June (simultaneous worldwide, hopefully!), that would give IS and Nintendo a 4-5 month marketing period for the game, the same length that Awakening, Fates, and Echoes all had.

I'm very confident in the game showing up again this month. I know some people think we won't see anything until the Expo in May but I don't see that happening unless it gets delayed out of spring, and even then they'd have no reason not to show new footage of it alongside a delay.