The world map (also looking for help reading the text)

I love that the map is handwritten with such an extravagant letter style. Lot of love went into this, huh? But damn does it ever make it hard to decipher the letters. xD Hell, the three e's in Leicester are all slightly different from each other! Yay handwritten~ Yummy. Much love.

How has no one mentioned "Ox"?

On 6/12/2018 at 4:15 PM, Tactician_Iris said:

Claymor? Clayman? The latter part is too fuzzy to make out. (NW)

I'd say Clayman, though it almost looks like that n at the end has a longer tail than most other n's. It's more...rounded out the bottom.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:56 AM, Tactician_Iris said:

Toutatia (NW)

There's definitely a tail going upward on the last letter, but I can't figure out what letter it's supposed to be... It has another tail sticking out the side rather than the bottom like an a and it does not look like the other a in this same name. Compare.

These two maps are what I'm using to try to decipher the letters, as they are the highest quality I've found. And they give two different perspectives, hurrah!

Curious about Taillteann "Taitean" right below Blaidad's symbol. According to Toutatia and Threne...that is not a capital T. What is that letter? F is used... What do we NOT have for capital letters... Assuming "Ox" is what it is, we have an O. So that leaves: i, J, K, Q, U, X, Y, Z. Hmm. ...Assuming Toutatia and Threne are actually T's, heheh.

I can't edit my post...

5 hours ago, Sock said:

So that leaves: i, J, K, Q, U, X, Y, Z.

Wait, I knew I've seen these letters before: " The letters J, K, Q, V, W, X, Y, and Z are not included in the Gaelic alphabet, but are sometimes found in borrowed words." We have a W in "Western Seirios", but other than that I don't think it's used. So does that mean anything for Vergilius and Váli? I'm reaching a bit, aren't I? There are other, non-Gaelic/Celtic references... Not to mention I was only talking about capital letters at the time, whoops.

Look what I found. Toutatis, not Toutatia.

I found Conan.

Edited by Sock

My internet has been spotty the past days (Boo). Anyway, I edited the map and increased the contrast between the letters and the map to see if it would be easier to figure out something:

Spoiler

cjLkym1.png

Anyway, I'm seeing new names:

• Ferdiad (N of Blaidad)
  • Ogma (M - West of Garg Mac - Yes another one, we now have a trio of returning names - woner why they chose those three in particular)
  • Kudala (NE of Regan)
Corrections from the last time:

• Natthaus (not Ratthaus how did my brain parse that as an R? While the last downstroke is closer than in Neckless of Fódra (How did they misspell Necklace...?) there are few other letters it could be.)
  • Eba (not Eva - the first descedent stroke starts from the right not the left)
  • Toutatis (as has been pointed out above by @Sock)
  •  
Names I'm uncertain of (# = letter I'm uncertain on):
  • Magdr#d [Magdred?] (NW of Garg Mac)
  • #ask (W of Garg Mac)
  • Alia##hod (W of Fergus)
  • Fiu#darius? (NE of Blaidad)
  • Co##d (E of Fergus)
  • M##coes (W of Aegir)
  • #lamass (S of Rusalka - A part of my brain thinks it might be Z - but the first downstroke doesn't fit Z, the second stroke sort of does though)
  • ##### (SE of Hresvelgr I have no idea what it is - it's far too blurry - if I squint it looks like either N or H as the first letter but that's some hard squinting)

As mentionedin my earlier post, I figured that while I was going throught the map it was a good idea to list the remaining letters we don't have - so here:

Majuscles:
  • I
  • J
  • Q**
  • U
  • X
  • Y
  • Z
*/ There is a small chance that the O with the dot is a Q. I have seen variants of Q that doesn't feature the characteristic tail flourish, but dots instead. While unlikely, it's still a possibility.

Minuscles:
  • j
  • q
  • w
  • x
  • z

Not much else to say rn - I'll see if I can get around making a vector based alphabet based in what weve got so far - depends on if my PC's Adobe Illustrator will play nice or not.
If I've missed anything/goofed I totally blame it on the lack of Morning coffee.

8 hours ago, Sock said:

I love that the map is handwritten with such an extravagant letter style. Lot of love went into this, huh? But damn does it ever make it hard to decipher the letters. xD Hell, the three e's in Leicester are all slightly different from each other! Yay handwritten~ Yummy. Much love.

The joys of Calligraphy, unique character and...keeping up a steady ductus and not screwing up ink retention to make it.  :')

I'd say Clayman, though it almost looks like that n at the end has a longer tail than most other n's. It's more...rounded out the bottom.

I'm pretty much seeing it as Clayman now, for one, the n is too similar to the n in Albine. Interestingly, the letter n and e in particular seems to have several variants in this particular hand (script).

Curious about Taillteann "Taitean" right below Blaidad's symbol. According to Toutatia and Threne...that is not a capital T. What is that letter? F is used... What do we NOT have for capital letters...

It is definitely a capital T in Taitean; the first downward stroke (the crescent moon shaped one), the second stroke (the upper bar), and the hairstroke of the T are present just like in Threne at the top of the map. These three elements pretty much makes it fit to a T and little else. I'm sorry for that pun.

How has no one mentioned "Ox"?
Assuming "Ox" is what it is, we have an O. 

I didn't since I was uncertain if it was Ogma further east, and hence, uncertain which one had an O but then I figured that it's possible that it is Ox as well, since the addition of a dot inside a letter's counter space isn't unusual. So it's possible they dropped the dot in Ogma because it would be too illeligble otherwise on account of it being smaller and rotated. If so, O would not be the only letter to have a variant either - majuscle M is distinctly different between say, Morpheus and Mylddin as well.

7 hours ago, Sock said:

There's definitely a tail going upward on the last letter, but I can't figure out what letter it's supposed to be... It has another tail sticking out the side rather than the bottom like an a and it does not look like the other a in this same name. Compare.

Look what I found. Toutatis, not Toutatia.

I found Conan.

Yep that's an s all right - in the process of making the image above I noticed the the ending flourish of the s.
(In my first post I had yet to see the full map)

Coincidentally, my brain did think it could be Teutates when I saw the word initially, but then I saw the o and figured "close but no cigar".

Conan...Hm...I thought that at first too, but then the last letter ended up looking like a d once I zoomed in. The fifth letter is too fuzzy to make out for me, it's closest to an a though.

Wait, I knew I've seen these letters before: " The letters J, K, Q, V, W, X, Y, and Z are not included in the Gaelic alphabet, but are sometimes found in borrowed words." We have a W in "Western Seirios", but other than that I don't think it's used. So does that mean anything for Vergilius and Váli? I'm reaching a bit, aren't I? There are other, non-Gaelic/Celtic references... Not to mention I was only talking about capital letters at the time, whoops.

It's all jumbled from the look of things, between Latin Morpheus & Vergilius, Celtic/Gaelic Samhain, Ogma, etc. Probably not much to read into it, not at this stage anyway.

27 minutes ago, Tactician_Iris said:

Kudala (NE of Regan)

Natthaus

Magdr#d [Magdred?] (NW of Garg Mac)
#ask (W of Garg Mac)
Alia##hod (W of Fergus)
Fiu#darius? (NE of Blaidad)
Co##d (E of Fergus)
M##coes (W of Aegir)
#lamass (S of Rusalka - A part of my brain thinks it might be Z - but the first downstroke doesn't fit Z, the second stroke sort of does though)
##### (SE of Hresvelgr I have no idea what it is - it's far too blurry - if I squint it looks like either N or H as the first letter but that's some hard squinting)

I recommend you take a gander at this map:

Spoiler

F%C3%B3dlanmap.png

I see it as Kupala.

Matthaus. It's definitely an M.

Magdred, most likely
Lamir
Alianrhod, that wasn't so easy to pick out
Flurdarius, best guess
Still looks like Conan.
M_rc_as, Merceas? Mercoas? Morceas? The second letter looks too round for an o, ironicly.
Blamass? It looks like a messy B to me, but who knows.
YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING, IS THAT MORGAN?! ........ It's Morgan. Oi...

There is one more:
_aphn_l (Right above the L of Leicester. Baphnel? Daphnel? Could be an O or a P.)

2 hours ago, Tactician_Iris said:

It is definitely a capital T in Taitean; the first downward stroke (the crescent moon shaped one), the second stroke (the upper bar), and the hairstroke of the T are present just like in Threne at the top of the map. These three elements pretty much makes it fit to a T and little else. I'm sorry for that pun.

I understand now. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Tactician_Iris said:

If so, O would not be the only letter to have a variant either - majuscle M is distinctly different between say, Morpheus and Mylddin as well.

I find it very strange that there are two drastically different styles of M's. Look how tiny Morgan is, with the proper M, but Mylddin has a simpler M? It baffles me.

All this thinking...and then we'll get localization changes. We already have one: Fodra->Fodlan. Le sigh...

Once again, I can't edit my post... For such a tiny bit of information... /sigh

Minuscles:
j
q
w
x
z

We have a w in Gwydion. And the "x" in "Ox" is one of these missing letters; it's nothing like any other letters we have (it looks similar to a p but it curves the opposite direction). I'd like to keep thinking the lowercase letters, at least, don't have variants. xD

Everything else lines up with what I also am missing in my makeshift alphabet reference.

...What if "Ox" is Qq, oh man.

I actually didn't post this here, even though I really should have: 

We might not be in complete agreement about every name, but I am seeing some trends here.

Adrastea has recurring references to water, as well as to vengeance. Also, for some reason, to monsters with a fondness for drowning people (merrows, rusalka, possibly lamia...). The names are often Norse/Greco-Roman in flavour, though there's an odd sprinkling of Slavic influences in there, as well.

Meanwhile, Leicester makes multiple references to King Lear, and in general slants English whereas Fergus slants Gaelic. 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, Melior said:

Okay so its likely that im seeing things that aren't there, but does this map vaguely remind anyone else off the Tellius world map?

The water level is quite high. Much of the land is missing. 

What do you think - Could this game be a chronologic successor to the Tellius series playing in the distant future? Or are my ramblings just crazy rubbish?

1.) Yes, it reminded me a lot of Tellius.

2.) My main problem with the water level rising is that it seemed more islands popped up? And Albino to the West?

3.) The key word is distant, but I may be applying too much IRL knowledge into a fantasy world. It would have to take millions of years of tectonic plates colliding and moving to alter landmasses to that magnitude. And since the people are still in medieval time or early Renaissance, then they're having the Archanean curse of perpetually being in a medieval state for a long time or a natural disaster occurred that nearly wiped out humanity and it took a long time for them to bounce back. I have a feeling I'm reading too much into this.

Then again, Archanea was drastically different by Awakening so it's still a good guess. This being the only other console FE other than Tellius may be another indicator.