Is "Teacher" the avatar?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This brings up another interesting question. Is the avatar, or 'teacher," fulfilling the Jeigan role?

It honestly seems like the perfect way to represent the avatar as a tactician. Have them start out the game strong, used tactically as a training unit. I would expect comparable performance to Seth in the lategame, given that the avatar character should not fall off too hard. The avatar in this story needs to be strong enough to guide the lords, but end the game just strong enough to be relevant while letting the lords shine. 

'Teacher' may be a set character rather than an avatar.

My main question is if our main character is a teacher how are we going to explain being level one at the start? A prologue about how we learned perhaps? Maybe even show us meeting the kid versions of the characters who are important after the prologue ends.

Having the avatar be a teacher makes me think that we are going to get a Roy/Cecilia scenario again.

I do like the teacher role though. If he's not the main focus, but instead teaching the real main characters then it could be a better Avatar then Corrin.

5 minutes ago, Sasori said:

Having the avatar be a teacher makes me think that we are going to get a Roy/Cecilia scenario again.

I do like the teacher role though. If he's not the main focus, but instead teaching the real main characters then it could be a better Avatar then Corrin.

I think they're going this route. 

Which I actually really like. Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri are the focus characters, and the Avatar acts in the background, giving them instruction. 

That's kind of how I always wanted the Avatar to be, ever since the idea was introduced. A Mark with more involvement on the units and a presence in the battle.

So I hope it stays that way. 

16 minutes ago, Eveangaline said:

'Teacher' may be a set character rather than an avatar.

My main question is if our main character is a teacher how are we going to explain being level one at the start? A prologue about how we learned perhaps? Maybe even show us meeting the kid versions of the characters who are important after the prologue ends.

Perhaps the avatar is older than the house lords. Character creation can make age ambiguous, but he could be around Seth's age. They wouldn't even have to give up the dating sim aspect of the game for that age range.

And I am seriously liking the idea that the avatar could be a level 1 pre-promote.

Edited by Etheus

42 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I think so.

PR outright describes a "protagonist" with the other 3 lords as "Main Characters".

I'm fully expecting S-supports to be back.

Well the info did state "interact with other characters and build relationships" so I can safely assume yes.

I'm also safely assuming Byleth will talk and have dialogue it makes sense especially for Supports and being the MC.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

24 minutes ago, Sasori said:

This is what I am hoping the player being the "teacher" and being involved in the story but not having the story or spotlight be on the would be great.  I also hope for a Seth age avatar because I am tiered of the avatar being a teenage, if they are a teacher have them be in their mid 20s.  I also have to say I really like the male version and that coat had better be in the female design as well because if it is not I will only play as a guy.

Edited by EricaofRenais

16 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

This is what I am hoping the player being the "teacher" and being involved in the story but not having the story or spotlight be on the would be great.  I also hope for a Seth age avatar because I am tiered of the avatar being a teenage, if they are a teacher have them be in their mid 20s.  I also have to say I really like the male version and that coat had better be in the female design as well because if it is not I will only play as a guy.

This is your opposite speaking.  I hope we get a bit of clothing options as well as the usual face/hair/eyes ones, so I can ditch the coat.

You know, if Teach is an avatar and everything about the character as suggested so far holds up, they're already looking to be a cut above the rest.

Especially if they are a jeigan, why wasn't this done before?

I'm hoping the avatar this time around has less of an impact on the story and mainly serves as the player's eyes in the world. Personally I hope there are no marriage mechanics, but whatever. I don't know if Byleth will be a Jagen though since the one combat scene we saw him in showed him not even able to double and not doing too crazy damage to an enemy.

I feel if the Avatar is the teacher... it almost feels like a "Mark" role...that or something like "Anna" from PoR/RD where she essentially explained things to you (In a similar vein to the "Tatics" room of Advanced Wars Day of ruin... minus the jokes and actually teaches you how to do it (instead of implying) 

9 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'm pretty sure that if there was an avatar, then it would have been mentioned in the trailer. So, I'm going to assume that IS are dropping avatar characters for this game.

Its pretty much confirmed there's an Avatar.

Most likely from the lack of dialogue and the way he is addressed as “instructor”, this will likely be an MU. 

Wouldn’t mind an MU or hell even a voiced MU if we could actually make decisions that reflect our beliefs and interests as the player. 

20 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Its pretty much confirmed there's an Avatar.

Why would they have you create a MU, and not make them the main character. Oh, and before someone brings up Mark, you don't get to customise their appearance at all.

Most likely from the lack of dialogue and the way he is addressed as “instructor”, this will likely be an MU. 

That's not the same as saying that there definitely is a MU. So which is it? Is it a MU for sure or not?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

57 minutes ago, eclipse said:

This is your opposite speaking.  I hope we get a bit of clothing options as well as the usual face/hair/eyes ones, so I can ditch the coat.

can I say the opposite of your opposite, can I remove the armor/change its color? because if it doesn't come with some ridiculously oversized pauldrons and a "dark lord" brand helmet to go with it I would have nothing to do with that color, black armor looks bad. so I guess in short... seconded.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

5 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

YES I hope its like Persona especially in the romancing stuff!

It's funny, because that was in my last-hour e3 predictions on the last pages of the leak discussion thread.

I've already nailed my predictions that it would be a new continent/world, a traditional setting, and would have an avatar.

The three lord setup makes me think that I could be right about the multi-side story as well. And the new style of interaction screams the possibility of Persona style supports, as I predicted.

Edited by Etheus