Is "Teacher" the avatar?

38 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'm pretty sure that if there was an avatar, then it would have been mentioned in the trailer. So, I'm going to assume that IS are dropping avatar characters for this game.

Awakening's first trailer didn't mention an Avatar. We fans just guessed it from the evidence available.

This is looking to be a similar case, except we've only seen one version of Beyleth so far.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Awakening's first trailer didn't mention an Avatar. We fans just guessed it from the evidence available.

This is looking to be a similar case, except we've only seen one version of Beyleth so far.

Exact same deal happened with Fates as well.

24 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

That's not the same as saying that there definitely is a MU. So which is it? Is it a MU for sure or not?

I cannot say for sure as we’ve seen very little of him, but I am saying that evidence so far seems to point in that direction. 

I have a feeling "Teacher" is the Avatar, no talking a bunch of scenes focusing on the character and the scene where you choose Sword or Axe. Seems like a avatar to me.

Hopefully the story will be good though.

I hope he is there just as a player avatar, guiding and assisting the characters but not being the driving force behind the plot. As many people are now aware, IS doesn't have a good track record with player self-inserts, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. I hope they can't S support either. One person being compatible with the entire cast either makes the protagonist unfailingly pleasant and inoffensive (ie bland) or just ridiculously worshiped (hello Corrin).

The fact that they named the three main lords, but just keep Bayleth and Teacher screams Avatar to me. At least it seems like they are going to be taking a backseat this time, and just instructing the lords. As to whether or not they could be a Jeigan, they could be but they could also just start out at level 1 like the others have. After all being a teacher does not mean that they have actual combat experience. They could have just come out fresh from military school and are teaching the lords about how tactics work. They might have even taken the job specifically because it would give them the combat training they sorely lack. It would be cool to have them be a Jeigan though, and it would fit more with the idea of the Avatar taking a backseat to what is going on.

10 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

“your”,

That is not the only connotation of the word "your", you know? It's a character you play as. That's as ignorant as saying Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an avatar because he is "your" protagonist. >.>;;;;

1 minute ago, Serea-chan said:

That is not the only connotation of the word "your", you know? It's a character you play as. That's as ignorant as saying Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an avatar because he is "your" protagonist. >.>;;;;

But does the promo or ad specifically point out that Rex is “your” protagonist as opposed to just “the” protagonist? 

2 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

But does the promo or ad specifically point out that Rex is “your” protagonist as opposed to just “the” protagonist? 

This whole thing is sort of splitting hairs, due to one word. And yes I know one word can change a sentences entire meaning and all but... for all we know he could just be a guy you play as who looks a bit generic. Probably is but nothing is set in stone at the moment. 

27 minutes ago, Yazuki said:

I have a feeling "Teacher" is the Avatar, no talking a bunch of scenes focusing on the character and the scene where you choose Sword or Axe. Seems like a avatar to me.

Hopefully the story will be good though.

I think that scene is of the Teach telling Edelgard, who already uses Sword and Axe, to practice one of the two, not of Teach learning how to use one. 

But that might be a nice way to handle an Avatar, where they learn from other units... They wouldn't be much of a teacher in that case, though. 

I think it is, and honestly I'm glad. The Avatar being the Jagen is something I've been saying for a while, it lets them be important without overtaking the plot and strong without being broken (hopefully). I'd rather no Avatar but hey this is a compromise I can live with.

57 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I hope he is there just as a player avatar, guiding and assisting the characters but not being the driving force behind the plot. As many people are now aware, IS doesn't have a good track record with player self-inserts, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. I hope they can't S support either. One person being compatible with the entire cast either makes the protagonist unfailingly pleasant and inoffensive (ie bland) or just ridiculously worshiped (hello Corrin).

This is what I hope as well.  The problem with making the main character the avatar, a representation of the player, is you are forced into making them a Mary Sue who can get it on with every man or woman in the game.  Cause hey we all want to be gods.  Being an avatar, well they have to make him

1. Super powerful, possibly the best unit in the game or close to it.

2. Able to marry every unit in the game. 

3. Be worshipped by everyone else in the game and be flawless. 

The most well written characters, including main ones, are flawed and realistic.  Not prim perfect beings.  Once you make the main character an avatar, well people are too fragile and have too large an ego to accept the avatar as anything less than a god.  So we get the Fates/Corrin situation. 

2 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

can I say the opposite of your opposite, can I remove the armor/change its color? because if it doesn't come with some ridiculously oversized pauldrons and a "dark lord" brand helmet to go with it I would have nothing to do with that color, black armor looks bad. so I guess in short... seconded.

Just how much armor did you want to remove? :P:

22 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

This is what I hope as well.  The problem with making the main character the avatar, a representation of the player, is you are forced into making them a Mary Sue who can get it on with every man or woman in the game.  Cause hey we all want to be gods.  Being an avatar, well they have to make him

1. Super powerful, possibly the best unit in the game or close to it.

2. Able to marry every unit in the game. 

3. Be worshipped by everyone else in the game and be flawless. 

The most well written characters, including main ones, are flawed and realistic.  Not prim perfect beings.  Once you make the main character an avatar, well people are too fragile and have too large an ego to accept the avatar as anything less than a god.  So we get the Fates/Corrin situation. 

I think it's possible to make an effective main character avatar. . .but it would have to be an insanely ambitious game.  First, I think the player would have to have meaningful choices when it comes to certain decisions.  Second, those choices need realistic consequences.  The Conquest Chapter 16 choice would be an example of one such path - either recruit a character or get some items.  Now imagine if there were many more choices like that, but they affected things like who allies with you, which of your recruited units leave, what maps you play, etc.  If you decide to be the MC who's obnoxious, you end the game with no allies or something like that.  If you try to backstab people too often/curry everyone's favor, you're more likely to have your troops desert.  If you steadfastly stay with one side, it'll affect things like store prices, etc.

9 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Just how much armor did you want to remove? :P:

There would be bonus points if we can as much skin showing as possible with a T rating, that way if the avatar ends up being the worst thing ever I can at least humiliate him in cutscenes

I've been thinking, and I've come up with a realization and a question.

The question: If the teacher is a player avatar, then how exactly would it work if/when we swap protagonists? Are we stuck with one in-story or will we swap around?

The realization: In the Japanese version of this trailer, the teacher would most likely either be called 'sensei' or 'sempai'. Make of that what you will.

8 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

I've been thinking, and I've come up with a realization and a question.

The question: If the teacher is a player avatar, then how exactly would it work if/when we swap protagonists? Are we stuck with one in-story or will we swap around?

The realization: In the Japanese version of this trailer, the teacher would most likely either be called 'sensei' or 'sempai'. Make of that what you will.

Oh the character "interactions" are gonna be fun!

My guess is yes, the teacher is going to be the avatar. Everyone saying teacher or instructor is a clever way of hiding the actual name of the avatar in voice lines.

If this is true, I think this a creative way to include a playable avatar into the game. Letting them be the tactician/ guide for the characters without having major story development. In the scene where Edelgard asks the instructor what weapon to focus on, you get to decide, so that makes me lean heavily that the teacher is you.

I hope the teacher is just that, the teacher/ tactician an not more. We don't need another Robin.

I think it's pretty obvious that Teacher/Byleth is the player Avatar.  Whether or not they'll do S supports is unknown right now, but given the success of fanservice and waifu/husbando obsession for the franchise...let's just say that from a business perspective, I'd expect them to put it in.

4 minutes ago, mewyeon said:

I think it's pretty obvious that Teacher/Byleth is the player Avatar.  Whether or not they'll do S supports is unknown right now, but given the success of fanservice and waifu/husbando obsession for the franchise...let's just say that from a business perspective, I'd expect them to put it in.

Plus they even mention interacting with other characters and building relationships so yep S-Supports are pretty much a given and likely romantic events.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

This is your opposite speaking.  I hope we get a bit of clothing options as well as the usual face/hair/eyes ones, so I can ditch the coat.

I have no problem with clothing options and said that I am the one hoping for the coat.  A black duster happens to be my favorite coat in the winter time, so having a coat close to it in game would be great.  I am hoping for color choices for cloths and I am hoping for skin tone choices as well.

Teacher absolutely comes off like our avatar.

I think the fact the dialogue only referred to them as "Teacher" and "Instructor" indicates that's the workaround while retaining full voice acting.

I don't mind the default outfit, but I also want more physical builds and the next obvious edition to expanding the avatar is skintones.