Is "Teacher" the avatar?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't particularly mind an avatar character, nor do I mind a story-important avatar character. If it is an avatar, I just hope that they have in-depth customization and are well-balanced gameplay-wise. If the avatar is important to the story, make it a good story lacking in (unwarranted) praise and actual choices. As long as IS uses enough effort to legitimize the avatar, it should be fine. 

Which worked so well up to this point?

Putting avatar aside, S rank supposrts are fine, but please not everyone x everyone type of thing! Have each character two or three option (including avatar if he/she has to be in) and writte these supports properly, not 3xBear meat = marriage.

14 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Which worked so well up to this point?

Putting avatar aside, S rank supposrts are fine, but please not everyone x everyone type of thing! Have each character two or three option (including avatar if he/she has to be in) and writte these supports properly, not 3xBear meat = marriage.

Err....I wouldn't say including Avatar being limited since people would be pissed if they're stuck with choices they don't like so it should like this:

Avatar x Anyone(of opposite gender, maybe 1-2 same sex marriage choices like Fates)

Non-Avatar x Non-Avatar(limited to 2-4 marriage options with 1 obviously being Byleth of opposite gender with a few non-marriage ones)

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

2 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Eh....I wouldn't say including Avatar being limited since people would be pissed if they're stuck with choices they don't like so it should like this:

Avatar x Anyone(of opposite gender, maybe 1-2 same sex marriage choices like Fates)

Non-Avatar x Non-Avatar(limited to 2-3 marriage options with a few non-marriage ones)

If they don't like choises, they don't have to support Avatar with them. There is nothing wrong with Avatar being single. . Yeah I wanted support Chrom with Panne, that option didn't exist (not even non-romantic!) and you don't see me throwing tantrum about it. Whyhy should MU get special threatment?

Well I think if you could choose Avatar personality from several templates and each came with own set of supports, I wouldn't mind if it ultimately covered whole roster. but otherwise I don't see how that could work any better then it did in Awakening or Fates.

4 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

If they don't like choises, they don't have to support Avatar with them. There is nothing wrong with Avatar being single. . Yeah I wanted support Chrom with Panne, that option didn't exist (not even non-romantic!) and you don't see me throwing tantrum about it. Whyhy should MU get special threatment?

Well I think if you could choose Avatar personality from several templates and each came with own set of supports, I wouldn't mind if it ultimately covered whole roster. but otherwise I don't see how that could work any better then it did in Awakening or Fates.

It suppose to represent the player so "single" doesn't work and just because YOU don't see a problem? MANY do...it expresses freedom of choice and being relatable...

Well, after few playthroughts I gave up on finding interesting chemistry for anyone with Robin and keep him single. And it certainly is expression of my free choice. Do you personaly prefer quantity over quality?

6 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Well, after few playthroughts I gave up on finding interesting chemistry for anyone with Robin and keep him single. And it certainly is expression of my free choice. Do you personaly prefer quantity over quality?

well that's YOUR choice not mine nor anyone else's. if you want to keep YOUR avatar single that's fine but a majority of people don't and because everyone has different tastes in what characters they like why limit their choices. it's not a matter of quality over quantity it's a matter of giving the player options and allowing them to choose who they would like to romance.

Edited by Otts486

I'd honestly rather there were less characters to choose from. Having a huge cast did not aid the writing/story in any way with Fates. I hope that all characters in 3H are tied to the main plot and relevant at least in some meaningful way. And also, that they're all bisexual, because gay rights. 

Is anybody else kind of worried about the troubling implications of playing as a "Teacher" who could potentially marry their "student/s"? I've been thinking about it over the past few days and I find it kind of worrisome. The main quartet look to be within the same age range so it isn't as.. slimy, I guess, but still. For me, that'd honestly be a reason I'd not marry anyone. Just like how I loooove Camilla, but never married her in Fates because I did not want to hear her calling me her "brother" all the time.

20 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Ok, then what exactly is benefit of being able choose anyone?

It appeals to a wider audience. Like I said people have different tastes on what characters they are going to like and relate to why else do you think waifu wars are a thing? And if the avatar is the player why limit the romance options. Let’s say you have 3 romance options out of a total of a total of 6 male/female characters and you like don’t care for the three you’re given but you really like one of the ones you can’t romance. You see the issue here. There’s really no reason to limit the players options in this sort of thing.

Edited by Otts486

4 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

It appeals to a wider audience. Like I said people have different tastes on what characters they are going to like and relate to why else do you think waifu wars are a thing? And if the avatar is the player why limit the romance options. Let’s say you have 3 romance options out of a total of a total of 6 male/female characters and you like don’t care for the three you’re given but you really like one of the ones you can’t romance. You see the issue here. There’s really no reason to limit the players options in this sort of thing.

I second this sentiment. When I played through Birthright I didn't marry anybody because I didn't like any of the bachelorettes. Though there were plenty of Birthright men I would've married if I could've, so my BR experience felt just that much more underwhelming than my CQ one.

12 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

Hmm, but it still sound as lesser evil that getting hopes up to romance waifu you want only find it dissapointing because creators don't have clear idea how write that particular reltaionship and just put something together  randomly for sake of it being there

I mean try imagine you like girl, confess and she say yes. Then you find you don't understand each other at all. Would you still be happy because you "succesfully" romanced girl you wanted?

Edited by Tenzen12

2 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Hmm, but it still sound as lesser evil that getting hopes up to romance waifu you want only find it dissapointing because creators don't have clear idea how write that particular reltaionship and just put something together  randomly for sake of it being there

I mean try imagine you like girl, confess and she say yes. Then you find you don't understand each other at all. Would you still be happy because you "succesfully" romanced girl you wanted?

Yes. Because that would mean they're listening to us and trying to be more diverse. I hated how they localized and ruined Niles in Fates, but I was still grateful for the opportunity to at least marry him. And in that situation, its a learning experience for the company. 

But also.. you're just bringing up weird hypotheticals that completely miss the point. I'm not sure specifically if you guys were originally arguing about there being more same-sex options, or just more options in general (ala Fates), but in the case of same sex options.. every single option matters.  

2 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

"I should write nothing because I might not write it well." That's not really a reason to not have something in. It's something that will make a lot of people happy if it's included. 

And yeah, I imagined it. Not fun. Good thing this isn't real life and it's just a dating sim mini game in a tactical RPG.

Okay my take on it:

>His name barely if ever comes up, be it ingame or promotional material. Name is only known because of the UI and its refered to as teacher.

>We never see him speak at all and we see an scene where he makes a choice and no dialogue comes up and instead the character that asked the question assumed he spoke.

>Is the character we control and is specifically mentioned that he is the one building relationships.

>His expression barely conveys any emotions, even when attacking an enemy.

Yep he has all the makings of an avatar, wasnt there a japanese press article that refered to him as MU? I remember reading on the gematsu comments.

Anyways im pretty glad that he seems to be an avatar, in my opinion there is no wrong or good way to make an avatar, there will be always people with their own definition of how an avatar is supposed to be and others that no matter how good the avatar is they wont like him (Like people shit on the avatars and act like Fire Emblen had compelling Lords when most of them are one dimentional). Im personally overjoyed since i love avatars a lot, honestly as long as i get to name him and he doesnt has a whiny personality i will gladly accept whatever form the avatar presents itself.

7 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

6 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

Why should MU get special threatment?

Because he is the player character? Unlike Fire Emblem the most common form of waifu elements in games only revolves the protagonist and the females, the side male characters get nothing (Persona, Langrisser, Growlanser, Conception). Im sure its no different for Fire Emblem where the main appeal is giving your avatar a waifu so limiting the avatar's pool is the most likely scenario to get backslash. I dont remember many being upset at Chrom's small pool other than not having more build options for Lucina and he not being able to S-support Cordelia, so i dont think limiting the main characters pool will get that much trouble (Unless there is a Jacob/Flora, Flavia/Basilio,Scarlet/Ryouma case where extremely compatible characters get no support). I for one usually kept my Avatar single and didnt marry my characters because i wanted all the waifus for myself, i only paired the ones that gave daughters (gave them my least favorite waifus) in a second playthrough and only paired them all on my female avatars runs. Many supports could be better? Yes but i would rather average supports over no supports for my avatar.

On 6/17/2018 at 8:13 AM, B.Leu said:

Or Robin, OMG, you are so totally good at strategy even though didn't really did anything, let's hire you !

Did you play the game? During the tutorial is established that Robin has the unique ability to see an enemy stats, the info you see in the lower screen, and that he was good at magic and swords (Whereas the rest was specialized on one or the other given Robin's unique class) not to mention the many points where his strategies helped them. You might not like his Marysueness but there is no doubt as to why he was appointed as Chrom's right hand.

Edited by kratoscar2008

1 hour ago, kratoscar2008 said:

> I dont remember many being upset at Chrom's small pool other than not having more build options for Lucina and he not being able to S-support Cordelia, so i dont think limiting the main characters pool will get that much trouble (Unless there is a Jacob/Flora, Flavia/Basilio,Scarlet/Ryouma case where extremely compatible characters get no support).

Actually, Flavia and Basilio can support each other. They just can't S-Support each other, which personally, I felt was fitting with their characterization.

@Tenzen12

I think it best to understand that some people just don't share your sentiment. Like other people said, I prefer that I will be able to choose from wide variety of choices for my MU. It is understandable since each individual have different tastes and preferences. I do agree that the other characters should have limited pair up since some don't mesh well.

9 hours ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

It suppose to represent the player so "single" doesn't work and just because YOU don't see a problem? MANY do...it expresses freedom of choice and being relatable...

If it's supposed to represent the player and they're using it as a dating sim wouldn't "single" actually be the best fit?

5 hours ago, Ririn said:

@Tenzen12

I think it best to understand that some people just don't share your sentiment. Like other people said, I prefer that I will be able to choose from wide variety of choices for my MU. It is understandable since each individual have different tastes and preferences. I do agree that the other characters should have limited pair up since some don't mesh well.

Well yeah, I certainly can see lot of people don't share it. I will  keep this sentiment for myself at least for while as I copletely lack ability understand that way of thinking regardless whether it right or wrong.

12 hours ago, SimplyUnknown said:

Actually, Flavia and Basilio can support each other. They just can't S-Support each other, which personally, I felt was fitting with their characterization.

Oh yeah i remembered now, i have seen sometimes where people wanted them to S support though. But in the context i was talking guess it didnt make sense.

6 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

Well yeah, I certainly can see lot of people don't share it. I will  keep this sentiment for myself at least for while as I copletely lack ability understand that way of thinking regardless whether it right or wrong.

Thats okay. You just dont get the whole waifu culture and you just see it as a shipping mechanic. I personally dislike the whole shipping units other than the avatar  (To me say it devalues Camilla because she can get with anyone other than Avatar when her devotion to the avatar is one of her main appeals, and that she gives up on him makes her devotion look fake) so if this game foregoes that i will be happy, though i can see that approach might look as unfair to people that are into shipping.

I'm 50/50 on it~ They may be, they may not, but leaning towards yes since Avatars have basically been a staple since New Mystery of the Emblem, regardless of how important they actually are to the plot~ I wouldn't mind being given a more Tactician role again and not the main focus like Corrin had been~

I personally do like S Supports and hope they return but I'm not all that concerned about kids being in the game~ I just want my husbandos, LEL~

2 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Oh yeah i remembered now, i have seen sometimes where people wanted them to S support though. But in the context i was talking guess it didnt make sense.

Thats okay. You just dont get the whole waifu culture and you just see it as a shipping mechanic. I personally dislike the whole shipping units other than the avatar  (To me say it devalues Camilla because she can get with anyone other than Avatar when her devotion to the avatar is one of her main appeals, and that she gives up on him makes her devotion look fake) so if this game foregoes that i will be happy, though i can see that approach might look as unfair to people that are into shipping.

I agree that's why I'm with:

(M/F) Byleth x everyone (S-Rank and regular supports of same gender maybe 1 or 2 same sex marriage options similar to fates if that concept returns) so the player can obviously freely choose your preference in what you want.

Other characters limit to a few romantic choices with a few non romantic. 

50 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

I agree that's why I'm with:

(M/F) Byleth x everyone (S-Rank and regular supports of same gender maybe 1 or 2 same sex marriage options similar to fates if that concept returns) so the player can obviously freely choose your preference in what you want.

Other characters limit to a few romantic choices with a few non romantic. 

Well its really the only acceptable solution to the problem of too many supports, series like say Persona became pretty popular for its dating elements and those are only the protagonist and the girls so the other units being paired was a cherry on the cake (Which is why Awakening gave CGs to the MU pairings and Fate the skinship feature) in this case. In an ideal world everyone would get catered to but its not so thats how it is.

Since FE6 the games have averaged like 50 playable characters, not counting DLC/Spotpass stuff. That's a lot of characters to write for and it showed in Awakening and especially Fates that it's hard to manage and maintain quality at that level, not even taking the S Support issue into consideration. So I'd also like to see NPC S Support options to be limited to 1 or 2, with few exceptions so they can hopefully make those relationships develop a lot more naturally and believably. But I would also like to see the Avatar able to S Support nearly everyone, with the only exceptions being a couple of hetero/homo only NPCs and maybe a few others for possible plot reasons excluding them. 

I think most players care a lot more about pairing up their Avatar rather than pairing up NPCs. Then just have like 6-8 normal C-A Rank supports for NPCs. That's still a butt load of content, though it shouldn't be much more than Awakening and far less than Fates and hopefully more targeted. Fates averaged 5 Non-Romantic supports and 13 Romantic Supports per first gen characters(10 for second gen). That's insane. Awakening averaged 3 Non-Romantic and around 11 Romantic for first gen characters(8 for second gen). So not much better. So trim that down to an average of 10 total supports and flip the ratio of Non-Romantic to Romantic.