Is "Teacher" the avatar?

20 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Did you play the game? During the tutorial is established that Robin has the unique ability to see an enemy stats, the info you see in the lower screen, and that he was good at magic and swords (Whereas the rest was specialized on one or the other given Robin's unique class) not to mention the many points where his strategies helped them. You might not like his Marysueness but there is no doubt as to why he was appointed as Chrom's right hand.

First of, I agree with the majority of your post, except this one.

Secondly, you just explained his marysueness, Being able to look at stats (then it's clearly just a way to say that it is the player who do that) doesn't make one a good tactitian.
You don't immetiatly put a person wearing grimean cloak, without memories, even if you believe him, who claim to be good at tactics, and being able to 'look into things' in charge df your army (even though in supports, it's said/shown he is not as strong but pfft, this is just a poor attempt at playing off his abilities, dunno why theiy need to do that for that.). At best, you hire him as one of your warriors, that, that make sense. As a Strategist of your army ? Ahaha. No. No. That's stupid.

On top of my head, but really on top, there is only three time where he uses 'strategy', that moment where he discover the magic of pairing up, two allies, who pair themselves to have more power in battle, something that was never seen in Fire Emblem ever.... it was. And out of gameplay, you gotta be a noob war-wise to not know that kind of things.Yeah, I get it it's a gameplay things, but story wise it doesn't make any sense.
The Fire Boats things could have been good, thing is, I'm left wondering how their entire army was left with no problem. The one that are important that is.Gotta admit, that is truly strategy.
The orb thingy was nothing but a Deus Ex machina, followed by a Deus Ex Machina, followed up by a Diobolus Ex Machina, followed up by a Deus Ex Machina. That's not strategy, that not even a gambit, that's stupid.

So no. No. Robin doesn't deserves his position, it's not worse than Kamui, but still.

Edited by B.Leu

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is teacher the avatar? i think not...maybe the castle they showed us in the trailer is  on the past and the other 3 characters are young in this time. in the future this "teacher" is now the old mad man who swing this legendary sword and the children from edelgard and dimitri and...i dont know..claud? must kill this old teacher who killed the parebts of the children . We dont now what Is have story in mind...but i cant wait :D

23 minutes ago, senior firehood said:

is teacher the avatar? i think not...maybe the castle they showed us in the trailer is  on the past and the other 3 characters are young in this time. in the future this "teacher" is now the old mad man who swing this legendary sword and the children from edelgard and dimitri and...i dont know..claud? must kill this old teacher who killed the parebts of the children . We dont now what Is have story in mind...but i cant wait :D

That would be really intriguing, but considering Byleth's interaction with Edelgard in the castle, and that we see Byleth run past Dimitri makes it seem unlikely.

Edit: That was poorly worded. I meant unlikely that there was a time skip of any kind, as their ages seem roughly similar, and Edelgard didn't look any older at any point throughout the trailer. Unless the beginning chapters where they showed all the characters, including Byleth, fighting was pre-time skip?

Edited by immatx

5 minutes ago, immatx said:

That would be really intriguing, but considering Byleth's interaction with Edelgard in the castle, and that we see Byleth run past Dimitri makes it seem unlikely.

Edit: That was poorly worded. I meant unlikely that there was a time skip of any kind, as their ages seem roughly similar, and Edelgard didn't look any older at any point throughout the trailer. Unless the beginning chapters where they showed all the characters, including Byleth, fighting was pre-time skip?

I feel like the narration in the trailer implied a time-skip. Wasn't something like "One day, I will return" said? I can't remember exactly, but it felt like it was setting up a time-skip.

37 minutes ago, nyainou said:

I feel like the narration in the trailer implied a time-skip. Wasn't something like "One day, I will return" said? I can't remember exactly, but it felt like it was setting up a time-skip.

the exact line was "I will return here someday my teacher. promise me you won't forget me". I mean it can imply a time skip but I don't think that's the case but what do I know.

46 minutes ago, immatx said:

ok byleth interact with with the other 3.

Maybe byleth  was a good boy in the past and there were 4 houses..not 3. The other 3 houses startet a war and destroyed burg mac because it was on the middle on the worldmap. edelgard and the other 2 dont wanna fight but their father or mother dont want piece. After destroyed burg mac..byleth lost family and friends and cant forgive anyone. So in the future he wants to destroy the other 3 houses for revange and the dark blade made him mad.  I think my story what i write here is not gonna happen because i know IS come up with better stories :D I know we saw alle 3 Edelgard.dimitri and cloud not in older state but i think the trailer showed us nothing more like lv 3 chars . not abouve

On 19/06/2018 at 7:18 PM, nyainou said:

I'd honestly rather there were less characters to choose from. Having a huge cast did not aid the writing/story in any way with Fates. I hope that all characters in 3H are tied to the main plot and relevant at least in some meaningful way. And also, that they're all bisexual, because gay rights. 

Is anybody else kind of worried about the troubling implications of playing as a "Teacher" who could potentially marry their "student/s"? I've been thinking about it over the past few days and I find it kind of worrisome. The main quartet look to be within the same age range so it isn't as.. slimy, I guess, but still. For me, that'd honestly be a reason I'd not marry anyone. Just like how I loooove Camilla, but never married her in Fates because I did not want to hear her calling me her "brother" all the time.

My stance on it is that personally I'd want them to limit everyone's S Rank options at around 2-4, depending on the character. Including the Avatar. And there should be several who have none at all, where it makes sense. But I also think that if they do insist on keeping the Avatars option to marry anyone, they should just go all out and let them S rank everybody regardless of gender. If it's going to be that level of fanservice and pandering like in fates they may as well go all out. At that point the gender restriction just comes across as an arbitrary limitation. 

I'm actually much more interested in the possibility of same sex S supports between units other than the Avatar at this point, though. 

The teacher thing concerns me too, and is one of the reasons why I would ideally simply see the Avatars (and everyone elses) S rank options be more restricted. At the very least they should be limited to other adult characters of a similar age, if they are in a teaching position. 

Edited by EJ107

42 minutes ago, MetalAmethyst said:

I wonder if it will ever be confirmed if the Teacher is customizable, or can be female? Hopefully more will be revealed in the future.

I'd assume that the player character is going to be customizable as that's, at least for me, the charm of an "Avatar" type of character. If they take a more passive role in the story this time around, I see no reason for them not to be customizable. (Or maybe it's wishful thinking from me hehe) I hope for more information soon as well! 

I think the avatar being a close mentor/teacher to the main characters is a subtle nod to the FE fanbase's passion for building units and letting them grow. I doubt Byleth will have much of a backstory and I don't think it's a good idea to let the avatar be able to romance his students, so maybe he is more of an enigma and his supports are almost entirely platonic? That'd be an interesting idea.

2 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I think the avatar being a close mentor/teacher to the main characters is a subtle nod to the FE fanbase's passion for building units and letting them grow. I doubt Byleth will have much of a backstory and I don't think it's a good idea to let the avatar be able to romance his students, so maybe he is more of an enigma and his supports are almost entirely platonic? That'd be an interesting idea.

I agree, that would be interesting. And, yeah, it would be really weird if they could romance the students.

2 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I don't see that happening also ain't nothing wrong with it especially when their likely not super old.....

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

58 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

I don't see that happening also ain't nothing wrong with it especially when their likely not super old.....

It has less to do with their age and more to do with the whole 'position of power' thing. Maybe if they were a former teacher it would make more sense. But if the story takes place during a time when Byleth is actually teaching the trio, I'll admit that would make me uncomfortable.

8 hours ago, EJ107 said:

My stance on it is that personally I'd want them to limit everyone's S Rank options at around 2-4, depending on the character. Including the Avatar. And there should be several who have none at all, where it makes sense. But I also think that if they do insist on keeping the Avatars option to marry anyone, they should just go all out and let them S rank everybody regardless of gender. If it's going to be that level of fanservice and pandering like in fates they may as well go all out. At that point the gender restriction just comes across as an arbitrary limitation. 

I'm actually much more interested in the possibility of same sex S supports between units other than the Avatar at this point, though. 

The teacher thing concerns me too, and is one of the reasons why I would ideally simply see the Avatars (and everyone elses) S rank options be more restricted. At the very least they should be limited to other adult characters of a similar age, if they are in a teaching position. 

I don't know why this piece slipped my mind at the time, but I second this. You have no idea how reinvigorated I felt playing the same-sex mod for Awakening. Now I'm hoping there's more same-sex options outside of the avatar. Mostly because Switch CFW is nowhere near the level of 3DS's and its going to take years to get same-sex mod for 3H... (The fact that the community even needs to do something like this, though, is depressing. Gay rights, Nintendo. Gay rights.)

17 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

It has less to do with their age and more to do with the whole 'position of power' thing. Maybe if they were a former teacher it would make more sense. But if the story takes place during a time when Byleth is actually teaching the trio, I'll admit that would make me uncomfortable.

Then don't go further in the supports obviously MANY others and myself will do so since its the players freedom of decision not like its mandatory do what you want.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

I don’t think Byleth is the same teacher that Edelgard is talking about.

It doesn’t make sense because Byleth doesn’t look any older than Edelgard. Not saying that he can’t be a young teacher but it seems like the person that Edelgard is talking about has been gone for a long time and has yet to return. Assuming that’s correct I doubt Byleth was the teacher of anyone in the past as I imagine he’d be in his early teens.

I think Byleth is more likely a different teacher who throughout the story will always be compared to Edelgard’s previous teacher because of course he will.

I’m personally hoping he ends up being a new recruit who works his way to the top as the story progresses. And when I mean work I mean work. Don’t just immediately give him a high ranking position right off the bat followed by constant praise because he’s our special snowflake of an avatar/protagonist.

Part of me want to belive...or he could be the true MC(with the other being route exclusive characthers) as they're harkening hard to Echoes style.

16 hours ago, EJ107 said:

Agreed. I prefer quality over quantity for the supports, I don't want S supports back in the first place, and I don't like the idea of a teacher romancing their students... but if they're going with this, and let's be real, with IS's track record, we can assume they are, then go all the way. It's very frustrating when the story pushes you to ship the avatar with one of the main characters, but you can't because they made the game with only waifu lovers straight players in mind. (Azura...)

(And in the same way, it's frustrating when the story hints at something between two of your units but you can't make it happen for the same reason. (Why did you deny Maribelle her true love, Awakening?) So yes, yes, yes to eliminating the gender restriction for non-avatar S supports.)

45 minutes ago, Kori said:

(Why did you deny Maribelle her true love, Awakening?) So yes, yes, yes to eliminating the gender restriction for non-avatar S supports.

They didn't want to think off a way to shoehorn the children into M/M or F/F relationships smh. I love Owain (and Brady!), but if his existence means Lissa and Mariblle cant be happy together then he's gotta go.

As for Byleth/Teacher, if they're not the Avatar I will be very, very surprised.

40 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

They didn't want to think off a way to shoehorn the children into M/M or F/F relationships smh. I love Owain (and Brady!), but if his existence means Lissa and Mariblle cant be happy together then he's gotta go.

As for Byleth/Teacher, if they're not the Avatar I will be very, very surprised.

Storywise, it could have been easy: since timelines are treated as parallels universes, nothing says our characters have to marry the same person they married in the doomed timeline. Owain and Brady (whom I also love and want to exist) could have been born from a M/F relationship in Lucina's time, then travel to a version of Ylisse where this isn't the case. (With the possibility of choosing who their father was for the inheritance mechanics, if necessary, but since the children all have a default class in Future Past even if their mother isn't married, they could just have adjusted their stats to account for no dad modifier.)

Of course, that would have required more diverse writing in parent-child supports (with potentially three "parents", and two versions of the father support depending whether or not he's married to the mother), plus ideally more exploration of the fact that you don't become a parent simply because a version of your hypothetical, currently nonexistant child who is the same age as you showed up out of the blue... and I can understand that it would be too bothersome and outside of the scope of the game. (But it's a shame, and not only because of gay pairings; I'm still puzzled by how easily all these young adults adjust to having fully grown children.)

...or they could simply have all the children's paralogues unlock automatically after chapter 13, regardless of which supports you've done, and keep the fathers ambiguous. I'll see myself out. >.>

To stay on topic, assuming Byleth is the avatar, I'm liking his default design. The female version, if there is one, will have to be really good to make me pick it instead, and that would be a first for FE avatars.

Edited by Kori

I don't mind limited support. Actually I like how Echoes SoV designed it...access to higher support with chapter.

topic : Probably, since we move with him...or it could probably be the default hero for a group and then later you play another group (advance wars/Shining force III CD2 and CD3)

Btw, do we know which honorific Edelgard uses to address the Teacher? Is it Sama?

What worries me about Teacher being the Avatar is that by being her teacher he is put into a position where he is in a way above Edelgard. It's not hard to see how this kind of setup could be exploited for the usual Avatar dicksucking.

Edited by BrightBow

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Btw, do we know which honorific Edelgard uses to address the Teacher? Is it Sama?

What worries me about Teacher being the Avatar is that by being her teacher he is put into a position where he is in a way above Edelgard. It's not hard to see how this kind of setup could be exploited for the usual Avatar dicksucking.

It's Sensei. It will probably stay the same if Byleth can be changed. Now if romance is in the game I wonder how they will change it, calling your lover teacher is kinda weird.

21 minutes ago, FuranSuwa said:

It's Sensei. It will probably stay the same if Byleth can be changed. Now if romance is in the game I wonder how they will change it, calling your lover teacher is kinda weird.

I don't see them changing that off all things. It wouldn't be any more awkward then a relationship with your siblings, your friend's kid from the future, grade schoolers, or your servants. A relationship with your student is nothing by comparison.

Edited by BrightBow