Is "Teacher" the avatar?

14 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Again that's same thing. By your definition Robin or Kris wouldn't be avatar either.

Robin and Kris were physical representation's of the player, even Mark was. Robin and Mark just also acted as a medium in addition to being the avatar.

Edited by immatx

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, immatx said:

Not necessarily. If Byleth is the tactician then he would be giving out the orders in the world. He'd be like a medium for our directions.

Edit:

Dmitri and Claude haven't spoken yet either. I'm just saying we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Uh what the other main characters havent talk yet probably no voice lines yet amd they arent you they are their own characters. 

33 minutes ago, immatx said:

Dmitri and Claude haven't spoken yet either. I'm just saying we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

No one is jumping to conclusions. Is it 100% confirmed Byleth is the player avatar? No. But based on the evidence, all of it combined, it is likely.

3 minutes ago, FireEmblemfan2006 said:

Uh what the other main characters havent talk yet probably no voice lines yet amd they arent you they are their own characters. 

That's exactly my point. Only 1 character has voice lines so we can't assume Byleth is a silent avatar until we know more.

Just now, Florete said:

No one is jumping to conclusions. Is it 100% confirmed Byleth is the player avatar? No. But based on the evidence, all of it combined, it is likely.

^ That person was.

On 13/06/2018 at 12:47 AM, eclipse said:

This is your opposite speaking.  I hope we get a bit of clothing options as well as the usual face/hair/eyes ones, so I can ditch the coat.

Or at least, have a better one...
But I'm perfectly fine with having a spiky pink armor like our lord and savior. Jeigan, and acting like him.

Decission and choices are important, no one can say it enough. This Is Sparta-level of importance.

"You, you and you will uses staves from now on"
"But teacher I have crap magic..."
"Nein ! Healing is important ! We need more healing everywhere so that everyone can survive !"

... Think as if the teacher with a german voice who say german words, that's make this funnier to me.

On 13/06/2018 at 12:07 AM, Sasori said:

Having the avatar be a teacher makes me think that we are going to get a Roy/Cecilia scenario again.

Wait.
... If I romance Edgelord-chan, would that make me a pedophile, just like Cecilia was if paired with Roy ? Oh dear.
Well, it's medieval time.

9 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

But I'm perfectly fine with having a spiky pink armor like our lord and savior. Jeigan, and acting like him.

Decission and choices are important, no one can say it enough. This Is Sparta-level of importance.

"Nein ! Healing is important ! We need more healing everywhere so that everyone can survive !"

... Think as if the teacher with a german voice who say german words, that's make this funnier to me.

Wait.
... If I romance Edgelord-chan, would that make me a pedophile, just like Cecilia was if paired with Roy ? Oh dear.

Mostly they will be 17 or 18 so they will be of age.

2 hours ago, immatx said:

Robin and Kris were physical representation's of the player, even Mark was. Robin and Mark just also acted as a medium in addition to being the avatar.

You are trying draw line where there isn't any.  Robin, Kris and Mark were representation of player by being medium. These two things are inseparable. If something Sensei is already more avatar then Robin, because he is much more involved with game mechanics (like other units skills), where Robins role as strategist was very vague.

You can draw line for yourself if you really wish, but I quite doubt many will share same opinion. Actually you can see they don't just by looking at this thread.

3 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

You are trying draw line where there isn't any.  Robin, Kris and Mark were representation of player by being medium. These two things are inseparable. If something Sensei is already more avatar then Robin, because he is much more involved with game mechanics (like other units skills), where Robins role as strategist was very vague.

You can draw line for yourself if you really wish, but I quite doubt many will share same opinion. Actually you can see they don't just by looking at this thread.

That's incorrect. As you said, Robin's role as a strategist was rather vague, but he was still clearly an avatar because you got to customize him. It wasn't his role as a tactician that made him an avatar. I'd advise that you look up the definitions for avatar and medium so that you can see the difference.

Also wrong. Everyone is just assuming that Byleth is an avatar. No one besides you has disagreed with what I said, that a medium is separate from an avatar, which it is.

2 hours ago, B.Leu said:

Wait.

No since I'm sure Byleths and the other characters ages will probably be unknown/ambiguous (they'll probably be slightly older to the 3 for the teacher/mentor concept). But if I had to "guess" the 3 key characters are at least around 17-18+.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

22 minutes ago, immatx said:

That's incorrect. As you said, Robin's role as a strategist was rather vague, but he was still clearly an avatar because you got to customize him. It wasn't his role as a tactician that made him an avatar. I'd advise that you look up the definitions for avatar and medium so that you can see the difference.

Also wrong. Everyone is just assuming that Byleth is an avatar. No one besides you has disagreed with what I said, that a medium is separate from an avatar, which it is.

Our definition of Avatar is same. You say definition then rephrase it and call it not avatar because you used different words for second time. That's pure sophism.

Everyone assuming Byleth is avatar. Why do you think that's the case if not because he act as medium of us players? Whether he will be able be pink haired loli in the end doesn't change anything. Well, I will stop here because it deosn't really matter how you call it Label is in the end  just that, the label after all.

Edited by Tenzen12

11 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Our definition of Avatar is same. You say definition then rephrase it and call it not avatar because you used different words for second time. That's pure sophism.

Everyone assuming Byleth is avatar. Why do you think that's the case if not because he act as medium of us players? Whether he will be able be pink haired loli in the end doesn't change anything. Well, I will stop here because it deosn't really matter how you call it, because label is in the  just that, the label.

Google 'avatar definition'. The second definition is: an icon or figure representing a particular person in video games, Internet forums, etc.

Google 'medium'. There are 2 separate definitions at play, mainly the first but the second gives you more of the idea. 1B is: a means by which something is communicated or expressed. 5 is: a person claiming to be in contact with the spirits of the dead and to communicate between the dead and the living.

An avatar is a physical representation of the player. A medium is just someone who you can communicate into the game through, almost like you're the god and they're your prophet. In Path of Radiance Ike is a medium, not an avatar, as he commands the Greil Mercenaries, your forces. Unless you're claiming that Ike is also an avatar then you need to stop conflating the two definitions.

Edited by immatx

10 hours ago, immatx said:

They didn't name any of the lords in the narration.

This is bad wording on my part, sorry about that. What I was referring to was how instead of just calling him Byleth, Mr/Sir Byleth, or Mr/Sir whatever his last name is they instead just refer to him as a gender neutral teacher. This sounds extremely odd in English where nobody is ever heard just calling their teacher just teacher. Teach? Sure, but that is usually done informally which Edelgard doesn't seem like she is doing. We refer to them by their last name, and from my extremely limited knowledge of Japanese culture (and somebody please correct me on this if I'm wrong) they also usually refer to their instructors by their title and then last name. Other JRPG's will also just have the other members of the cast refer to the Avatar by a general term so that they don't actually have to use their name in voiced cutscenes. All of this led me to believe that Byleth is an Avatar character.

21 hours ago, immatx said:

Google 'avatar definition'. The second definition is: an icon or figure representing a particular person in video games, Internet forums, etc.

Google 'medium'. There are 2 separate definitions at play, mainly the first but the second gives you more of the idea. 1B is: a means by which something is communicated or expressed. 5 is: a person claiming to be in contact with the spirits of the dead and to communicate between the dead and the living.

An avatar is a physical representation of the player. A medium is just someone who you can communicate into the game through, almost like you're the god and they're your prophet. In Path of Radiance Ike is a medium, not an avatar, as he commands the Greil Mercenaries, your forces. Unless you're claiming that Ike is also an avatar then you need to stop conflating the two definitions.

I think you're making this argument more complicated than it needs to be. It's 100% confirmed that Byleth is the protagonist, the only question is whether or not he is customizable (i.e. a MyUnit/Avatar). While you're right that customization hasn't been confirmed, it's a safe bet to assume it will be in unless Nintendo hates money. The biggest indication so far is that in the Nintendo Topics article, Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude are introduced by full name and with character portraits, whereas Byleth is only referred to as "the protagonist" and no portrait art is shown. If he really was a fixed character like Ike, it would make more sense to introduce him first.

1 hour ago, No. 3 said:

I think you're making this argument more complicated than it needs to be. It's 100% confirmed that Byleth is the protagonist, the only question is whether or not he is customizable (i.e. a MyUnit/Avatar). While you're right that customization hasn't been confirmed, it's a safe bet to assume it will be in unless Nintendo hates money. The biggest indication so far is that in the Nintendo Topics article, Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude are introduced by full name and with character portraits, whereas Byleth is only referred to as "the protagonist" and no portrait art is shown. If he really was a fixed character like Ike, it would make more sense to introduce him first.

Maybe you're right. I just wanted to show how a protagonist and a tactician doesn't necessarily have to be a MU. As you said we know Byleth is the protagonist, and based on what Edelgard says we can deduce that he's this games tactician. But as of right now we don't have any confirmation that he's an avatar, even though it seems rather likely. That's all I was trying to point out.

On 15/06/2018 at 1:20 PM, B.Leu said:

Wait.

If he's really customizable, I'd guess what they'll do is say that the avatar is a prodigy so even though his default look seems adult, a younger looking character could still fit.

17 hours ago, NeonZ said:

If he's really customizable, I'd guess what they'll do is say that the avatar is a prodigy so even though his default look seems adult, a younger looking character could still fit.

That'll not be a good sign if the decide to play the prodigy card for The Teacher though, it would be pretty lame from them. Teacher is... a hard job. You can't get that in a pretty letter. You need experience, a standing, education.
It'll be mary-sueness not unlike Corrin "you don't have any experience, and we have no reason to give the position of chief of the army, but we're gonna do that anyways" The Idiot.
Or Robin, OMG, you are so totally good at strategy even though didn't really did anything, let's hire you !
Spooky pal, spooky.
Then again, they did that with Mark too, but Mark was a literal blank page who didn't got the lip service often.

... Then again, then I first saw Kris, I was like 'OMG, look at that huge ass sword like Guts or Ike, are you gonna be a experienced mercenary hired by Marth or Jeigan or what'. Ah ah, boy did I felt from very high.
Still big up from the translators, I still liked the game and am grateful that people put work into translating it.

Also don't destroy my phantasm of Teacher/Student romance, or of the very probable double standard that might happens if people on the internet flip out about that then nothing was ever said about the Roy/Celicia pairing. :p

So I've just recently learned that Eldegard literally means "Noble Guard" in German, so I'm even less convinced that she's the Lord character than I was earlier. This therefore strengthens my belief that the main character is once again an avatar.

Robin and Kris were physical representation's of the player, even Mark was.

@immatx Mark was pretty much a non-entity in FE7, unlike Kris and Robin.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

9 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

So I've just recently learned that Eldegard literally means "Noble Guard" in German, so I'm even less convinced that she's the Lord character than I was earlier. This therefore strengthens my belief that the main character is once again an avatar.

@immatx Mark was pretty much a non-entity in FE7, unlike Kris and Robin.

But the underlying philosophy was the same.

Personally, the Byleth shown on the battlefield, looking at their profile image, looks more male than the Byleth landing a critical hit, which looks a little more female, which suggests to me that they are, in fact, an avatar. Anyone agree with me on this?

Edited by The Red Blur

1 minute ago, The Red Blur said:

Personally, the Byleth shown on the battlefield, looking at their profile image, looks more male than the Byleth landing a critical hit, which looks a little more female, which suggests to me that they are, in fact, an avatar. Anyone agree with me on this?

Given all the other evidence pointing towards yet another avatar character in a new fire emblem, you're probably correct unfortunately, as much as I desperately don't want another avatar in fire emblem again.

1 minute ago, Dinar87 said:

Given all the other evidence pointing towards yet another avatar character in a new fire emblem, you're probably correct unfortunately, as much as I desperately don't want another avatar in fire emblem again.

At least their design actually is aesthetically pleasing this time, unlike the travesty that was Corrin (seriously, wtf was that design?)

Just now, The Red Blur said:

At least their design actually is aesthetically pleasing this time, unlike the travesty that was Corrin (seriously, wtf was that design?)

True. I didn't really care for Corrin's design either.

2 hours ago, The Red Blur said:

It looks exactly the same to me but it's hard to tell since it an action scene, pausing just makes it blurry so you could be right.