E3 Trailer Analysis

Via the main site

If I missed anything, do let me know!

There was something in the battle map I wanted to point out, near the corner, but I couldn't find it. Also I didn't spend too long pondering about the Japanese subtitle, since we have a few threads related to that already ^^;

My guess for those red aggro lines is that they indicate that you're in those enemy's attack ranges (it's taking me way too long to write this sentence).  Think of it like a reverse version of the blue/red grid.

In other words, they can target you.  Whether or not they will might be another matter entirely.

WRT magic, my theory is that the crests mentioned in the trailer might grant magic to whoever has them equipped.

Fates had us fight recruitable characters (Xander in chapter 2, Kaze/Rinkah in chapter 3, etc.), so I wouldn't discount the possibility of Mercedes being recruited.  The vibe I got from that scene was that it was a sparring match.

Edited by eclipse

There are a few small things I noticed that I would like to add, Byleth has an attack range of 1 unlike Edelgard who had a danger range of 1-2 indicating he only has his sword. In that same scene every single enemy commander has a unique looking face as well in the "battlefield view" and the units types match the ones you see at the start of the trailer indicating this is probably the next chapter, both of them are likely the mock battle mentioned later in the trailer so its very likely these guys are either recruit able or major enemies later since Claude and Dimitri are shown to fight un-named enemies. Also the archer enemy countered at 1 range. 

Edited by Mackc2

One small thing I would add: when I noticed that the ruined sword and the whip-sword are the same blade, I thought back: the Falchion is a solid blade because it was forged from a fang. The odd shape of the whip-sword's blades (especially the bits that protrude out one side) suggests that it's instead forged from a spine, rather than a fang, which would also explain why it is even a whip-sword at all, since I'm pretty sure this is the first time there's been a whip-sword in an FE game. 

Edited by vanguard333

I think Mercedes and Hilda are probably on your side and those battles are just tutorial battles in the beginning of the game.

I also think it's telling that they didn't release official artwork for Byleth but they did for the three "heroes", so Byleth has to at a minimum, be customizable in appearance.

@VincentASMThose red line are showing attack priority for the enemy, it looks like they would want to attack an enemy that can't fight back like the archer's we've seen or they may kill/have an advantage over

@35 seconds in you can see the red lines coming from the enemies, one of which is taking priority to an archer

@37 seconds in all enemy lines are pointed at the girl, and assuming that infantry only have a movement of 5 the enemy she's attacking can't reach the archer he was targeting earlies

23 minutes ago, bufkus said:

I think Mercedes and Hilda are probably on your side and those battles are just tutorial battles in the beginning of the game.

I also think it's telling that they didn't release official artwork for Byleth but they did for the three "heroes", so Byleth has to at a minimum, be customizable in appearance.

Yeah that makes sense

Something that was just pointed out to me: at 0:54 you can see that the berserker-like units are all wearing what looks like blue tartan kilts. Combine that with one of the nations having the name Fergus: an anglicization of the Scottish Gaelic Fearghas: meaning man of vigour. Scots-based kingdom, perhaps? If so, that would be really cool. 

Vincent I made a post about how the Combat May be like advanced wars! 

I’d like to know your opinions on it? Do you think it will be like usual with 30 units and permadeath or only a few who are all main story?

2 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Vincent I made a post about how the Combat May be like advanced wars! 

I’d like to know your opinions on it? Do you think it will be like usual with 30 units and permadeath or only a few who are all main story?

I much, much rather the usual 30 or so. 

Only a few options of characters to find interesting bores me. As I'm someone who has always found side and background characters more interesting than the main lords in FE. But character development in FE has always been lackluster. Besides, I like options when it comes to who I use in battle, I don't want to have to use a unit I don't like as there are so few.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Something that was brought up on gamefaqs: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204445-fire-emblem-three-houses/76705582

Could formations have replaced the weapon triangle?

I considered the thought, but I don't like this on a fundamental level though, it kind of makes different weapons irrelevant and only adds too much complication to the triangle.

Something trivial I noticed when working on something.

threehouses-splice.jpg

A slightly pointless detail, but if you look carefully at the wall behind the throne [where the dragon girl is sleeping], it’s the same teal-coloured wall from when the game’s logo is shown. In fact, it’s literally the exact same wall–when you paste the game logo into the top-right corner, the texture matches exactly.

7 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Something trivial I noticed when working on something.

threehouses-splice.jpg

A slightly pointless detail, but if you look carefully at the wall behind the throne [where the dragon girl is sleeping], it’s the same teal-coloured wall from when the game’s logo is shown. In fact, it’s literally the exact same wall–when you paste the game logo into the top-right corner, the texture matches exactly.

That's an awesome find, thank you!! Cue the theories xD

4 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

that wall is the final boss, calling it now.

Watch me be right.

The only wall bosses that I can think of in games is the one in Final Fantasy 7 and in Kingdom Hearts 2. Technically they were door bosses, but they were blocking the way.

Here are a few small things I noticed but haven't really seen commented on yet.

1. Tomes don't appear to be in the game. None of the mages are holding them and magic is a separate command from attack. Theory: magic will work just like it did in SOV. When Edelgard was asking the teacher what to train, magic wasn't an option even though she could clearly use it. I don't think magic will have a weapon rank; I think units will have set spells they learn by leveling up.

2. When Edelgard is in the pre-combat window, there is a banner that indicates you can toggle between weapons using X and Y just like the 3DS games. When Byleth is in that same window later in the trailer, we see that same banner. However, unlike Edelgard, he has another banner above that one that says "None" with ZL and ZR as the toggle buttons. Theory: Byleth will have some mechanic like combat arts but unique to them that they learn/acquire throughout the game.

3. Dimitri is only shown using lances, but when he uses the triangle formation, his whole squad switches from lances to swords. Theory: the squad unit's weapon type doesn't have to match the main unit's and can even be switched around. Furthermore, the formation mechanic will work like magic in that each unit will have a specific set of formations they learn by leveling up. Some units, like Dimitri maybe, will emphasize using the formation mechanic. Since Dimitri uses lances, maybe he can use the formation command with a sword squad to gain the advantage against axe users.

Other theory for all of them: it's just an oversight by the developers/ too early in development.