Will you be able to choose which house you start in?

Tsak

With the 3 main characters so far (Lords i guess?) they might be princes/leaders of each of their respective nations.

Might be able to choose which faction to start in? A question that remains to be answered atleast.

Either way i like the designs of each character, they're pretty interesting.

Also IS don't friggin sell 3 separate games again, that's some horseshit

I'm thinking there will be a prologue where we can get to meet the characters first and then the first three chapters will be focused on each character. After that, where we go is up to us, with some plot mandated blocks here and there. Of course, I have no idea how they'll actually handle it, but that's what I would do.

Well there's a theory going around that the 3 MCs are in some sort of military academy. So in that case ,maybe the game starts with everyone together, then you scatter and gradually reunite as the game progresses

That was what I was wondering, but it really is too early to tell. Also I have seen other people discuss the idea in youtube comments and there are complaints about the idea of having to play the game three times to get the full experience.

38 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Is it even going to be a matter of choosing houses? It seems strange for a teacher to pick one student to support. 

Perhaps that's just specific pieces of game play that IS decided to give us over the presentation. 

It sort of sucks that we won't be able to be on the same side as the whip sword dude, though. 

I think it could be similar to FE10, where you control all three warring factions in their own chapters. However, that POV-shifting wouldn't work with an MU, which we have evidence for being in the game. Hm, I don't know what to think here...

If I am given a choice, I would like a modest house, no more than a two story 24X35ft cottage atop a hill, and that hill, is overlooking a bay, and what a fine bay it is showing the innate beauty of nature, and in that bay is a small dock, and at the end of that dock, a lovely dingy, and in that dingy there is a box, not a large box mind you, but one which will fit quite nicely in the dingy, and in that box, a gun and 3 rounds, now, now, no worries, the rounds have been fired already, they are meant to symbolise the day that god decided that I was not permitted to end my life, three duds in the same gun, what are the odds, sometimes I look at them and think how foolish I was...

Oh wait political houses? phft, I don't know, maybe, maybe not, may be hard with an avatar though.

2 hours ago, colossus86 said:

Well there's a theory going around that the 3 MCs are in some sort of military academy. So in that case ,maybe the game starts with everyone together, then you scatter and gradually reunite as the game progresses

I think this is the most likely, since at the end of the video while we're admiring the loli seeing Tiki's twin sister, the voice (Edelgard's, I think? not sure) says "I will return here someday, my teacher. Promise me, that you won't forget me". To me, that sounds a lot like the speaker is going off on a separate journey. So assuming we're the teacher, that means we're separating from at least one of our students for a while.

I'm still unsure as to whether they'll be 3 MCs you choose paths with or you just focus on one (Eldegard probably) and then meet up with the others and they join you in a single story path. I'm kind of feeling the latter.

I don't think so but if we do, watch how fast Claude's and Edelgard's copies would go. Poor Dimitri.

1 hour ago, alatartheblue42 said:

I think this is the most likely, since at the end of the video while we're admiring the loli seeing Tiki's twin sister, the voice (Edelgard's, I think? not sure) says "I will return here someday, my teacher. Promise me, that you won't forget me". To me, that sounds a lot like the speaker is going off on a separate journey. So assuming we're the teacher, that means we're separating from at least one of our students for a while.

I believe it was Edelgard, because her VA, Christina Vee, tweeted about it.

Hector route was nowhere near different enough for me to even consider touching it. Even Revelations had too much recycled content for my tastes, considering the price.

What if we get something RD or Echoes esque, if Edelgards closing words in the trailer are early in the story we could have two or even three conflicts (ie. Eldelgard goes on her own adventure and you control her while the Teacher ends up finding more of the lords and you then play as that group)

9 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I believe it was Edelgard, because her VA, Christina Vee, tweeted about it.

Ah, cool, thanks. I was just trying to compare the voice in that part to the voice for her combat lines, and while they were pretty similar I wasn't 100% certain.

9 hours ago, MilodicMellodi said:

What if they do it like Blazing Blade? Meaning, like the Eliwood, Lyn, and Hector routes? Tbh it seems kinda likely, considering they've started calling back to older games.

I hope this'll be the case if they do multiple routes. If we started with Edelgard's mode and had a bit before she drops that line at the end of the video and leaves, then we can have a brief timeskip to justify switching main lords and whatnot.

7 hours ago, Mackc2 said:

What if we get something RD or Echoes esque, if Edelgards closing words in the trailer are early in the story we could have two or even three conflicts (ie. Eldelgard goes on her own adventure and you control her while the Teacher ends up finding more of the lords and you then play as that group)

The problem is that we have a MU, so we can't really be like RD or Echoes and actually control distinctly separate armies. Our MU would probably have to be in every level, and you can't exactly switch sides regularly.

However they do it, I just pray that they have the sense to not split the game like for Fates. I doubt it would go over well with people, and Switch games are even more expensive than 3DS games so we'd probably be paying even more than we did for Fates.

7 hours ago, alatartheblue42 said:

However they do it, I just pray that they have the sense to not split the game like for Fates. I doubt it would go over well with people, and Switch games are even more expensive than 3DS games so we'd probably be paying even more than we did for Fates.

Honestly? I wouldn't mind getting three different stories like Fates as long as they were all on one cart. 

43 minutes ago, Maimishou said:

Honestly? I wouldn't mind getting three different stories like Fates as long as they were all on one cart. 

I have mixed feelings about this. I did enjoy Fates even if I have to buy the LE but my wallet did not. XD

To be honest though, I am hoping that this is only one cart and the story does not split the game into three separate games. I was lucky to get the limited edition because in our country, we don't have pre-order and it's first come first serve basis plus you mixed in those who bought the LE just to sell it on premium. 

Regarding the topic, it's too early to tell but I don't think we have to choose which House we serve. 

Edited by Ririn
Added additional thoughts.

2 hours ago, Maimishou said:

That wouldn't be too horrible, but I personally like having a more unified storyline. Its nice to see other perspectives, but Fates gives me the opinion that they should really focus their efforts on a single story rather than multiple full routes. Eliwood/Hector mode is fine since the story is still essentially the same and one of the modes isn't worth playing after your first run. Fates was mediocre at best across the board, but if they did one route instead of three think how much better it might have been. 

I suppose in the end, it mostly depends on the price they charge. If its the standard $60 for three routes on a single cart, that's tolerable. If they try to have you pay full price for one-third of the story, though, that's bullshit.

10 minutes ago, alatartheblue42 said:

That wouldn't be too horrible, but I personally like having a more unified storyline. Its nice to see other perspectives, but Fates gives me the opinion that they should really focus their efforts on a single story rather than multiple full routes. Eliwood/Hector mode is fine since the story is still essentially the same and one of the modes isn't worth playing after your first run. Fates was mediocre at best across the board, but if they did one route instead of three think how much better it might have been. 

I'm probably biased because Birthright was my first game in the series but I didn't think it was mediocre. Yeah it wasn't the best thing out there and the plot was fairly generic but I thought the execution more than made up for that. The cutscenes were a feast for the eyes and the music was great as well. I also really loved the relationship between the avatar and the rest of the cast, especially between them and Aqua. If Three Houses had three different stories that were executed as well as even just one route of Birthright I'd be satisfied.

2 hours ago, Maimishou said:

Except doing that would make the quality of all three stories suffer for the effort. They showed with Fates how badly they can handle that concept, and if they do it again it will just be a repeat of the same because FE does not have the budget to handle something like that.

I think from the way Edelgard worded it though, we are probably going to jump from house to house. Maybe their clothing is just the uniform that everybody who attends any military school has to wear, but all three are not going to be attending the same school. It is possible we are just being hired from house to house, and that is why they all have different color schemes to go with their uniforms.

10 minutes ago, Maimishou said:

I'm probably biased because Birthright was my first game in the series but I didn't think it was mediocre. Yeah it wasn't the best thing out there and the plot was fairly generic but I thought the execution more than made up for that. The cutscenes were a feast for the eyes and the music was great as well. I also really loved the relationship between the avatar and the rest of the cast, especially between them and Aqua. If Three Houses had three different stories that were executed as well as even just one route of Birthright I'd be satisfied.

Oh, I'm not bashing the cutscenes or the music. The cutscenes were solid and the music great. Gameplay as a whole wasn't usually too bad (certainly better than some SoV maps), and Conquest's gameplay was actually rather enjoyable. But Birthright's plot is basically the most generic RPG plot I can think of. Conquest at least tries to be interesting by having you play as the dark side, except it didn't get executed too well so it gets bashed the most of them (from what I've seen). Revelations was a joke. "My brother tells me to stop fighting my sworn enemy, but won't tell me why until I jump into a bottomless canyon" isn't a suitable justification for the plot. Sure it might work on the little sisters, but even ignoring younger brothers & older sisters, Xander and Ryoma should never have agreed as easily as they did. And everything after that was bland too.

But if Birthright's the only FE you've played, I definitely recommend you try some other ones. None of them are perfect by any means, but I've never found one I didn't enjoy playing.