Average Units

Vorena

Is there really any room in the FE games for an a unit that doesn't excel in anything at all? What strength can they have at all that is worth fielding?

A unit with high str/def is nice because they can tank multiple hits and dish it back. Likely doing a 1 or 2 hit knock out. This is characteristic of armors and dark mages.

Units with higher speed usually can do 2RKOs by doing 4 weaker attacks in total across two rounds of combat to KO foes and evade damage to be an evasion tank.

Some units even with high skill can just be reliable hit for stuff like bosses and certain enemies you need dead. 

High luck units have a small niche for evasion and turning a risky gamble on an enemy crit rate into not a risk at all.

High hp goes hand in hand with tanking even if its semi low def/res. 

A unit with purely average stats across the board compared to the enemy I feel isn't worth fielding and I am not sure if there is a unique situation they can fill.

Edited by Vorena

thing is, you have to get beyond vague generalizations and look at shit on paper.

also in fe7, Lowen is probably the definition of "average unit" with his solid bases+average growths keeping him going just enough to take advantage of his class, supports, and availability. 

If we're talking "well-rounded growths", then there's also Eliwood and Erk. Eliwood just suffers from low bases and move, while Erk suffers in general from shaky growths that can easily rng screw him. Wil counts too, but he's just kinda bad due to getting screwed in move, bases, and lack of ep.

this is probably the worst game to ask about "average units" since it's been analyzed to death. Better look at SNES/NES FEs or an FE with a bloated cast prior to the renaissance that fe13 started. Fe6 and fe11/12 are also good places to look at for this. 

That is sort of the point though is to look at a generalization as sort of part of an GBA FE design. As a strategic elements to the game there are advantages and known benefits to fielding a unit specializing in particular stats and having weaknesses. A particular unit will have niche roles they play in the game to make them unique. However, I cannot really think of any advantage for trying to have a unit be average in stats at all.

Lowen, Erk, and Eliwood come to mind certainly for a look at average stats. Since they never specialize in anything (erk sort of does in speed while lowen in defense a bit though) they are a gamble to field in the long run. Yes, you can end up with a great unit depending upon how luck goes, but a unit like Sain is more reliable over say Lowen due to specializing heavily in strength while carrying all the same attributes as Lowen for the most part. Eliwood compared to other sword users does not really stick out either. Guy/Lyn both specialize in doubling and evasion and therefore yield a higher tankiness than Eliwood and a higher combat due to access to the same swords for say leveraging armor slayer, longsword, and lancereaver except with doubling puts total damage output above Eliwoods single attack. 

I suppose the only reason to build a unit with averaging stats might be to balance against some other traits. An average unit with better map availability. Maybe a unit with a great utility like a horse gets average stats to balance out the horse utilization. 

If you said something like that earlier, I could've given you a better answer.

Lowen's great for baiting things, and handing off the kills to someone else.  Being a horse also means that he can get to the action faster.

Eliwood's niche IMO is benchmarks and a bit of RNG abuse.  If he ever maxes his speed, and has something like 21 Strength, he can nab a Body Ring and solo the dragon (what I don't remember is whether or not he needed a regular dance or Filla's Might).  Even without it, his promotion gives him a horse and a good Aid stat, so he can ferry people.

Erk's good at sniping things with lowish Res.

Regardless, it's possible to do a bit of AI manipulation if a character's stats are a bit lower.

I'd also call Canas leaning towards balanced across the board. At least once promotion gives him +1 Con and +3 Speed.

Spoiler
Level HP Str Skl Spd Lck Def Res
/1 33.4 15.4 13.8 15.2 10 10 15.4

/10 39.7 19.45 17.4 18.35 12.25 12.25 19.45

/20 46.7 23.95 21.4 21.85 14.75 14.75 23.95

Of course, Canas has Luna for a hint of uniqueness. And I guess a little Nostanking might be viable with him. 8 Con on promotion means he suffers 6 AS loss with Nosferatu, but you could chuck him a Body Ring. He might not be terrible at the job, particularly given 15 AS to double most things means he has to be 7 AS to get doubled by everything. The issue is more only two-three Nos tomes in the game. But remind me what Hammerne is good for in this game, because nothing readily comes to mind.

• 1 month later...

I have a weakness for average characters, personality or otherwise. Dorcas and Lowen are probably the best examples, they don't have any trait about them that makes them stand apart from others in their class, they don't have this outlandish personality and there are probably other characters who perform better in their given class. Despite this I can't stop myself from using Lowen and Dorcas.