Will This Game's Playable Roster be Elite Heavy?

I feel like while our initial characters are going to be nobility, characters on lowborn status will perform some amazing combat feats that gets them promoted to "squadron leaders." At least, that's what I'd like to happen, though I could see a repeat of Fates' blue-blood extravaganza due to the emphasis on the ruling class and people who can afford a higher education. Either way though, I feel the characters and their relationship shouldn't be terribly affected by their social class, mainly because Fire Emblem has always been about people from all walks of life joining together for a common cause, not some Marxist opinion piece. :P

The dynamics between the characters in Fates got really tired after a while. It felt like almost every support was lord-retainer or "sibling"-"sibling," so for that reason I hope that regardless of the character's social classes, I just want their interactions to feel less formulaic and more varied.

In Awakening, there weren't many official positions, and I think that helped the supports feel more diverse.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:58 AM, PeaceRibbon said:

I feel like while our initial characters are going to be nobility, characters on lowborn status will perform some amazing combat feats that gets them promoted to "squadron leaders." At least, that's what I'd like to happen, though I could see a repeat of Fates' blue-blood extravaganza due to the emphasis on the ruling class and people who can afford a higher education. Either way though, I feel the characters and their relationship shouldn't be terribly affected by their social class, mainly because Fire Emblem has always been about people from all walks of life joining together for a common cause, not some Marxist opinion piece. :P

You say that like a game couldn't have a very pro-landed aristocracy stance as the series has never been hard on the nobility's rights.

On 6/25/2018 at 2:05 PM, HappyHawlucha. said:

And a villager who has proved his worth during the recruitment battle could just be given a battalion. ORRRR the cooler option of having Villager classes as trainee classes without access to the formation command until they promote, so they will be on their own on the battlefield before promotion to accentuate their non-noble status.

On 7/18/2018 at 8:15 PM, HappyHawlucha. said:

Commoners such as the Villager class will come in without the ability to command a squadron and will be a trainee class. When promoted to a base class they will have earned their right to command a squadron and as a result have more place in this setting.

I am fond of progressions like these, however I think the game mechanics wouldn't work for that.  We can't really send a single trainee against a commanding officer with a squad of soldiers, that would be stretching things a little, even for Fire Emblem.  What I think could use this idea of villager promotion is if we make them start off as students or mooks. 

If they are a student, then we can have them do things in the academy like tutorial/training camps or tactics lessons; they could also show up on the battle field to serve a secondary function but no fighting.  The excuse could be that they are watching to learn, and as squires/pages they can serve roles similar to a mini-Merlinus until they are combat ready.

Alternatively, we could be given a generic battle captain that has a mook who looks different, and if you play something a certain way, that mook could get promoted into a captain themselves.  I'm personally fond of this concept, but definitely not how I conceptualized it, if someone has a better idea for the mook-captain, please do-tell.