What the story is about...

Well I also agree that japanese title has important meaning (or at least it could). But what I am saying poem itself seems to have enough underlying meanings that FETH can choose which and how many use. That's all.

Edited by Tenzen12

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

Well I also agree that japanese title has important meaning (or at least it could). But what I am saying poem itself seems to have enough underlying meanings that FETH can choose which and how many use. That's all.

That's true :):

If the story does involve going against the church, one thing that I thought was interesting was that the "home base"/MyCastle type area that we see Byleth running around in looks very church-like:

Spoiler

2018-06-20%209.png

The inside even has the pews and the altar and everything. Not sure what it means for the story though. Maybe you start off the game on the same side as the church?

2 minutes ago, LorisaGoldfish said:

If the story does involve going against the church, one thing that I thought was interesting was that the "home base"/MyCastle type area that we see Byleth running around in looks very church-like:

Hide contents

2018-06-20%209.png

The inside even has the pews and the altar and everything. Not sure what it means for the story though. Maybe you start off the game on the same side as the church?

That's what I think! Since the church rules the land, I think the three key characters are with the church initially, then Edelgarde will rebel against them (since in the trailer she asks the teacher if he'll go with her down that dangerous path), and then it'll be a matter of convincing Claude and Dimitri to change sides. That's just my take, though, haha.

Thank you for the insight and for posting the images :lol:!! 

28 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

That's what I think! Since the church rules the land, I think the three key characters are with the church initially, then Edelgarde will rebel against them (since in the trailer she asks the teacher if he'll go with her down that dangerous path), and then it'll be a matter of convincing Claude and Dimitri to change sides. That's just my take, though, haha.

Thank you for the insight and for posting the images :lol:!! 

No problem! :D:

And yeah, that sounds pretty plausible. I wonder how closely connected to the church our main characters are and why they might use a church as their base of operations.

12 minutes ago, LorisaGoldfish said:

No problem! :D:

And yeah, that sounds pretty plausible. I wonder how closely connected to the church our main characters are and why they might use a church as their base of operations.

Maybe they were raised to be very religious people? since they're aristocrats and the kingdom is ruled by the church, so they're closely related. Maybe even after rebelling against the church, they remain firm believers of the goddess, or perhaps that footage of Byleth running around that place is from the first chapters before the problems start.

Although, that about them going against the church is just my theory :>_<: I could be totally wrong about everything, haha :P:. But we do see Dimitri, Claude, and Byleth fighting against the soldiers from the church...

Well, all these churches in fiction are based on Catholic one. And that one for all it's flaws was always responsible for education even before medieval times. It's not that hard imagine noble families would have their children attend school run by church, especially as it would "neutral ground".

EDIT: Important point, real nobles would have ties with church not because they are devoted, but simply because church itself is so relevant you can't really run  country without it's support. It wasn't rare that nobles or rich merchants would give their childrens who aren't to inherrit bussiness to study for priest as  it simply was really good carreer as well as it was useful have supporter in church.

Edited by Tenzen12

Yes! Historically, nobles have always had to be in a good relationship with the main clergy of their country, to the point they are raised to be believers, but it's basically for political and social purposes. That's why I think them being aristocrats means they'll initially be defending the church instead of being neutral about it.

All that said I don't think they will "defend church" per se. If we go by conventions, first enemy will be indiscriminate aggressive Empire   -tm- (likely candidate is Fergus) so it will be about  defend ownself along with church as ally rather then especially fighting for their sake.

Edited by Tenzen12

After reading through everything, I must say that I am hoping for a church that isn't completely evil. That trope is overdone. Perhaps they are becoming corrupt due to a few officials and most are still good or maybe they have reasons for any plot based instances... I'd certainly love a more gray morality scale instead of pure white vs back. I am also hoping they don't somehow split this like Fates (they probably won't, but still). I liked Fates to a degree, but no more "buy three different stories for the whole game and the third one is the golden route". 

On 25/06/2018 at 6:50 PM, PrincessAlyson said:

After reading through everything, I must say that I am hoping for a church that isn't completely evil. That trope is overdone. Perhaps they are becoming corrupt due to a few officials and most are still good or maybe they have reasons for any plot based instances... I'd certainly love a more gray morality scale instead of pure white vs back. I am also hoping they don't somehow split this like Fates (they probably won't, but still). I liked Fates to a degree, but no more "buy three different stories for the whole game and the third one is the golden route". 

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and for giving your opinion :lol:!

It would certainly be great if they were to go for a more complicated plot than the good vs evil they have implemented in almost every other FE game so far. But even so, what I really hope for is that the most obvious and expected thing doesn't happen: That the queen is the benevolent, perfect one, while the bad guy is just some ugly character within the church. Or worse yet, that the old man with the whip blade is really the evil villain.

I hope for an imperfect, very wrong queen. Regardless, because I do believe we'll be going against the church, I don't think the whole church will be evil, but that it will have just enough bad people in it to cause problems.

As for that whole splitting of the game into three as in Fates (something that brought me much suffering :>_<:), I agree, as much as I love FE, I wouldn't be able to buy the game that way. But I believe they know they can't pull it off again, because the idea won't succeed twice, unless they fit the paths into one cartridge? as with Fates' special edition? Even so, I don't see the branching storylines making a return. Maybe the farthest they go will be that you can decide who to start with out of the main three characters, without it affecting much of the story? since, according to my analysis, their enemy is the same.

2 hours ago, Chopper... said:

But even so, what I really hope for is that the most obvious and expected thing doesn't happen: That the queen is the benevolent, perfect one, while the bad guy is just some ugly character within the church. Or worse yet, that the old man with the whip blade is really the evil villain.

Exactly. That trope is very overused. Let the Queen at least have some flaws and not die at the beginning as a plot device (Emmeryn made sense and so did Mikoto somewhat, but c'mon, two Queens dying in a row???). And it would be cool if we could recruit the guy with the whipsword (please IS)! Who knows, maybe neither will be the main villain, but someone else who looks and acts innocent.  

Edited by PrincessAlyson
Grammar

Who knows? It could be based on the 30 years war where the Catholic forces attempted to annihilate all Protestants while the Protestants were forced to unite and set aside differences despite the Calvinists and the Lutherans were bickering against each other in order to survive.

Just now, PrincessAlyson said:

Exactly. That trope is very overused. Let the Queen at least have some flaws and not die at the beginning as a plot device (Emmeryn made sense and so did Mikoto somewhat, but c'mon, two Queens dying in a row???). And it would be cool if we could recruit the guy with the whipsword (please IS)! Who know, maybe neither will be the main villain, but someone else who looks and acts innocent.  

I'd also very much like whipsword guy to turn out recruitable. Another twist I wouldn't mind is if instead of pulling a "there's an evil pulling the strings and causing the war", it's nothing more than the faults of characters who are human and thus fallible (like what I hoped Fates would be then it wasn't). I mean there was a literal war in Italy fought over a bucket. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Bucket) While I'm not suggesting something so petty as a bucket as a cause, a war because of rivalries between kingdoms over causes that don't make either side evil as opposed to foolish would be nice. Never happen, because these games like to be fairly black and white with morality. It's not that I don't like heroic heroes. But given the series so rarely has a recurring lead the potential for endless variations on the formula should be taken advantage of.

5 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Another twist I wouldn't mind is if instead of pulling a "there's an evil pulling the strings and causing the war", it's nothing more than the faults of characters who are human and thus fallible (like what I hoped Fates would be then it wasn't). I mean there was a literal war in Italy fought over a bucket. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Bucket) While I'm not suggesting something so petty as a bucket as a cause, a war because of rivalries between kingdoms over causes that don't make either side evil as opposed to foolish would be nice. Never happen, because these games like to be fairly black and white with morality. It's not that I don't like heroic heroes. But given the series so rarely has a recurring lead the potential for endless variations on the formula should be taken advantage of.

That would be wonderful to see. I do agree though, I doubt IS will do this and if they do, I shall be very pleased. It would be interesting if no one was truly a villain, but simply flawed people (like people in real life). On a side note, wow they fought a war over a bucket? 

1 minute ago, PrincessAlyson said:

That would be wonderful to see. I do agree though, I doubt IS will do this and if they do, I shall be very pleased. It would be interesting if no one was truly a villain, but simply flawed people (like people in real life). On a side note, wow they fought a war over a bucket? 

A 2000 casualty war over a damn bucket out of a well. It was, to be fair, between two city states that spent 300 years in conflict, only ending their petty wars and skirmishes due to the mutual threat of invasion by Spain. There's been a lot of stupid reasons for wars. Another one that comes to mind is the war of the whiskers, between England and France. A 300 year war... over King Louis VII refusing to grow a beard. A bit of an oversimplification, but any way you look at it, history is full of incidents where leaders squabbled over petty things and had their people fight to the death over it. https://www.trivia-library.com/a/cause-of-the-war-of-the-whiskers-between-france-and-england.htm

I'd really like to see some various political factions, with some in the same nations to create a divided feel, so there might be conflict within the nations themselves. Then the point of the plot at that time would be to unite the factions to counter an invasion/cult/whatever IS comes up with. 

5 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Exactly. That trope is very overused. Let the Queen at least have some flaws and not die at the beginning as a plot device (Emmeryn made sense and so did Mikoto somewhat, but c'mon, two Queens dying in a row???). And it would be cool if we could recruit the guy with the whipsword (please IS)! Who knows, maybe neither will be the main villain, but someone else who looks and acts innocent.  

Yeah, using the same plot device twice in a row is a little too much. And I hadn't thought about the guy being recruitable!! That would be awesome! Although someone here said he'll probably die or be dead by the beginning but hey. Emmeryn, Gangrel and even Walhart were recruitable as free dlc, the sky is the limit.

5 hours ago, jake72002 said:

Who knows? It could be based on the 30 years war where the Catholic forces attempted to annihilate all Protestants while the Protestants were forced to unite and set aside differences despite the Calvinists and the Lutherans were bickering against each other in order to survive.

Yeah, actually, I do think they are based on the catholic church, and it does seem very likely that it'll be kind of like the Protestant Union fighting against the church after solving or accepting their differences. That's part of my theory, although I haven't thought about the Thirty-Years War before, good call! :D:

5 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

I'd also very much like whipsword guy to turn out recruitable. Another twist I wouldn't mind is if instead of pulling a "there's an evil pulling the strings and causing the war", it's nothing more than the faults of characters who are human and thus fallible (like what I hoped Fates would be then it wasn't). I mean there was a literal war in Italy fought over a bucket. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Bucket) While I'm not suggesting something so petty as a bucket as a cause, a war because of rivalries between kingdoms over causes that don't make either side evil as opposed to foolish would be nice. Never happen, because these games like to be fairly black and white with morality. It's not that I don't like heroic heroes. But given the series so rarely has a recurring lead the potential for endless variations on the formula should be taken advantage of.

As someone who had to study so much history, I'm never surprised by the absurdity of the factor that starts a war; it is usually something very petty that's really used as an excuse, the real factor is always about everlasting grudges.

I would love it if it was more complicated than just good vs evil, but FE has always had a hard time with that, the most they can make is one character with grey intentions. It could be different this time around, though. They tend to listen to feedback. I have hope but I won't hold my breath either :>_<: