Classes You Know About, Expect to See, or Want to See

Has anyone speculated the stat distribution for each class?

Elements of Offense: Accuracy, Damage (single strike)(str/mag), Follow-Ups (attack speed); Elements of Defense: Dmg abs(orption) (HP), Dmg reduction (def/res), Evasion

Let's get the obvious ones out of the way:

Mercenary: Damage (Str)- Medium Low, Follow-Ups - Medium High, Accuracy - High, Dmg Abs - Medium Low, Dmg Red (Def) - Medium Low, Dmg Red (Res) - Medium Low, Evasion - High

Brigand: Damage (Str) - High, Follow-Ups - Medium, Accuracy - Low, Dmg Abs - High, Dmg Red (Def) - Low, Evasion - Medium

Archer: Damage (Str) - Medium, Follow-Ups - Medium High, Accuracy - High, Dmg Abs - Low, Dmg Red (Def) - Low, Dmg Red (Res) - Medium, Evasion - Medium

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2019-02-20 at 9:34 PM, Arvin said:

I do agree that Infantry might be at a disadvantage. Depending on the maps, Cavalry could be the best movement type to give the students. Flying for healers. Those Fist weapons used while mounted seems awkward though. Has there been an RPG game that had something like that? 

I doubt they would make fist weapons available for cavalry. Even if you make a student into cavalry, my guess is that the game will find a way to say, "You can either give this character a fist weapon, or you can give them a mount. They cannot have both."

24 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I doubt they would make fist weapons available for cavalry. Even if you make a student into cavalry, my guess is that the game will find a way to say, "You can either give this character a fist weapon, or you can give them a mount. They cannot have both."

I'll probably end up feeling bad for the Fist weapon type because in the end it'll probably only be available on Thief and a few other classes, maybe like Brigand or it's promotion? Armour units could maybe use it if the armour is a lot more light and not limited to big strong armour guys with shields, which will probably not be the case seen as though mage armours will be a thing 

49 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I also think this is what will happen generally. On paper, the students can learn any skills you assign them but I'm assuming there are limitations to the combinations. For example, once you select 'axe' as a focus skill for a unit, I'm assuming certain skills like faith magic (healing) will grey out and you won't be able to select it. 

I really hope they don't put limitations like that in place and instead put more effort into the balance of the vast amount of options we could get; would take a bit of work but it'd be pretty deep and fun.

For classes, I'd like War Clerics/Monks.

Edited by SorrowOfAcheron

11 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I also think this is what will happen generally. On paper, the students can learn any skills you assign them but I'm assuming there are limitations to the combinations. For example, once you select 'axe' as a focus skill for a unit, I'm assuming certain skills like faith magic (healing) will grey out and you won't be able to select it. 

It will probably be a lot wider than first thought, the direct showed faith and cavalry being selected meaning most likely healing and mage cavs will have a base version, so probably fliers and armours too. I think the cavalier/flier/armour knight classes will be the same class just with flexible weapon specialities(sword/axe/lance/bow/reason/faith), meanwhile infantry classes such as Myrmidon or Brigand will have a set weapon, so they probably won't be able to chose a secondary weapon until promoting to second tier, but even then I wouldn't rule out combos like physical/magic.

In the first trailer we saw cutscenes of what looked like Berserkers and Knights (or Soldiers) with swords. 

So my guess is that units will have different caps. That way you'll be able to use all base weapons with all classes, but only higher ranked ones with certain promotions.

23 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

It will probably be a lot wider than first thought, the direct showed faith and cavalry being selected meaning most likely healing and mage cavs will have a base version, so probably fliers and armours too. I think the cavalier/flier/armour knight classes will be the same class just with flexible weapon specialities(sword/axe/lance/bow/reason/faith), meanwhile infantry classes such as Myrmidon or Brigand will have a set weapon, so they probably won't be able to chose a secondary weapon until promoting to second tier, but even then I wouldn't rule out combos like physical/magic.

I'm kinda iffy on IS introducing so many new classes in one game. There are many combinations that haven't been seen in previous main series games before such as the claws + literally everything. Armoured mage, armoured archer, armoured healer etc... With this many combinations available, I'm not sure how they'll handle promotions in a non-confusing way.

But my main concern is that it will make the game too easy. The first trailer shows archers counterattacking one space away. I'm imagining an armoured archer that's able to attack from a distance AND tank at the frontline. Unless they have measures to counter all these different combinations, certain weapons + movement types are obviously gonna be much better and be potentially game breaking. 

(In the direct Bernadetta's Iron Bows has a flat range of 2, so that first trailer (with Hilda counterattacking at 1 range with an Iron Bow) may be outdated. Or maybe there's a "Close Counter" Combat Art? There isn't any visual sign of one...)

//

I don't think that IS is going to give us a list that is Mage Cavalier, Axe Cavalier, Bow Cavalier, et cetera.

I think what will happen is that there will be the ones we saw in the direct:

Mercenary, Thief, Knight, Cavalier, Brigand, Archer, Mage, Priest, [Pegasus Knight]*

You'll start as a Noble, and perhaps have a cap of C-Ranks in everything, while maybe requiring an E+ to actually wield something. Though I have no concrete basis for the latter, it seems like it would work better to me than just letting people go hog-wild on weapons without doing at least a touch of tutoring in the appropriate Focus.

As we see in the direct, the Brigand exam requires a C-Rank in Axes and an Intermediate Seal. So let's say at this point Edelgard has capped her Axes, Swords, and Authority at C-Rank, a D in Reason, and has an E in everything else. She promotes to a Brigand. Now her cap for Axes goes up to A, Swords and Authority to B, and everything else stays at C. She can still use Swords. Hell, you could choose to tutor her in Reason up to a C and get some mid level magic going - but you wouldn't be able to bust out Thoron as a Brigand. You'd be maxed out at C.

And then maybe there's a Berserker exam, that requires an A-rank in Axes, B in Authority, and an Advanced Seal. This further increases your Axes cap to SS, making them the only ones who could wield the best Axes. But if you put the tutoring time in, you'd still be able to wield mid level Reason Tomes, Faith Tomes, Swords and Lances. (As a Brigand.)

Conversely, if you immediately change Edelgard's Goal List to include Heavy Armour, you could build your rank high enough to take the Knight exam. And despite the Knight's Sprite having a Lance, you'd be able to use your Axes as a Knight. You would just hit the Axes cap quicker than the Brigand/Beserker route, and so not have access to top ranked Axes like you would in that promotion. But it'd increase your Heavy Armour cap, allowing you to become an Axe wielding General, or (if you tutor up some Riding) maybe have the required Exam Skills to become a Great Knight.

training-9a.jpg

*I think the yellow line at the top signifies that the exam list is scroll-able. We saw Pegasus Knights in the first trailer, and characters can train in Flying, so we know they're around. Though why IS chose to not make the exam list one space bigger and show them is weird... Maybe it literally includes every exam you can take (including tier two promotions) right from the start?

4 minutes ago, Guest LSM said:

(In the direct Bernadetta's Iron Bows has a flat range of 2, so that first trailer (with Hilda counterattacking at 1 range with an Iron Bow) may be outdated. Or maybe there's a "Close Counter" Combat Art? There isn't any visual sign of one...)

//

I don't think that IS is going to give us a list that is Mage Cavalier, Axe Cavalier, Bow Cavalier, et cetera.

I think what will happen is that there will be the ones we saw in the direct:

Mercenary, Thief, Knight, Cavalier, Brigand, Archer, Mage, Priest, [Pegasus Knight]*

You'll start as a Noble, and perhaps have a cap of C-Ranks in everything, while maybe requiring an E+ to actually wield something. Though I have no concrete basis for the latter, it seems like it would work better to me than just letting people go hog-wild on weapons without doing at least a touch of tutoring in the appropriate Focus.

As we see in the direct, the Brigand exam requires a C-Rank in Axes and an Intermediate Seal. So let's say at this point Edelgard has capped her Axes, Swords, and Authority at C-Rank, a D in Reason, and has an E in everything else. She promotes to a Brigand. Now her cap for Axes goes up to A, Swords and Authority to B, and everything else stays at C. She can still use Swords. Hell, you could choose to tutor her in Reason up to a C and get some mid level magic going - but you wouldn't be able to bust out Thoron as a Brigand. You'd be maxed out at C.

And then maybe there's a Berserker exam, that requires an A-rank in Axes, B in Authority, and an Advanced Seal. This further increases your Axes cap to SS, making them the only ones who could wield the best Axes. But if you put the tutoring time in, you'd still be able to wield mid level Reason Tomes, Faith Tomes, Swords and Lances. (As a Brigand.)

Conversely, if you immediately change Edelgard's Goal List to include Heavy Armour, you could build your rank high enough to take the Knight exam. And despite the Knight's Sprite having a Lance, you'd be able to use your Axes as a Knight. You would just hit the Axes cap quicker than the Brigand/Beserker route, and so not have access to top ranked Axes like you would in that promotion. But it'd increase your Heavy Armour cap, allowing you to become an Axe wielding General, or (if you tutor up some Riding) maybe have the required Exam Skills to become a Great Knight.

training-9a.jpg

*I think the yellow line at the top signifies that the exam list is scroll-able. We saw Pegasus Knights in the first trailer, and characters can train in Flying, so we know they're around. Though why IS chose to not make the exam list one space bigger and show them is weird... Maybe it literally includes every exam you can take (including tier two promotions) right from the start?

Again, great work! I think that there will be only one option for Knight, Pegasus Knight and Cavalier but they'll be flexible and have options for Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow/Reason/Faith as long as you have the correct rank in the weapon type you want and either Riding/Flying/Heavy Armour.

Maybe to balance out the infantry classes you require more training to go into one of these 3 classes, maybe a C in your chosen weapon and a C in your movement proficiency is required to promote to your chosen class, meanwhile a C in the weapon is only required for infantry classes, giving them the possibility to grow faster, as they won't be stuck levelling 2 professor focuses to promote.

21 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Again, great work! I think that there will be only one option for Knight, Pegasus Knight and Cavalier but they'll be flexible and have options for Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow/Reason/Faith as long as you have the correct rank in the weapon type you want and either Riding/Flying/Heavy Armour.

Maybe to balance out the infantry classes you require more training to go into one of these 3 classes, maybe a C in your chosen weapon and a C in your movement proficiency is required to promote to your chosen class, meanwhile a C in the weapon is only required for infantry classes, giving them the possibility to grow faster, as they won't be stuck levelling 2 professor focuses to promote.

Yeah, that would be a good way to balance them! Especially if your previous speculation that certain Combat Arts are tied to class mastery is true. 

A Sword wielding Cavalier might be better than a Sword wielding Mercenary, due to the increased movement. But if a Merc only requires a C-Rank in Swords||Axes while the Cav needed C-Rank in Swords||Lances||Axes||Bows||Reason||Faith && Riding, you'd be able to master Noble (for the Combat Art) and immediately promote into Merc and start mastering that and working your way towards Hero||Swordsmaster. Whereas passing the Cav exam would take longer, offering less Combat Arts and levelling in a promoted class. 

Guest nanashi
2 hours ago, zuibangde said:

I'm kinda iffy on IS introducing so many new classes in one game. There are many combinations that haven't been seen in previous main series games before such as the claws + literally everything. Armoured mage, armoured archer, armoured healer etc... With this many combinations available, I'm not sure how they'll handle promotions in a non-confusing way.

But my main concern is that it will make the game too easy. The first trailer shows archers counterattacking one space away. I'm imagining an armoured archer that's able to attack from a distance AND tank at the frontline. Unless they have measures to counter all these different combinations, certain weapons + movement types are obviously gonna be much better and be potentially game breaking. 

Might be possible to balance if there are more slayer type skills and arts. Since it's possible the weapon triangle might not be present each weapon type might have properties that are effective against different types of units. The classes this time might have more pronounced strength and weakness to balance out everyone being able to use any weapon.

Guest nanashi
7 minutes ago, Guest nanashi said:

Might be possible to balance if there are more slayer type skills and arts. Since it's possible the weapon triangle might not be present each weapon type might have properties that are effective against different types of units. The classes this time might have more pronounced strength and weakness to balance out everyone being able to use any weapon.

In the second trailer you see the purple haired archer girl with an iron bow and and mini bow. The mini bow isn't effective against flyer. What this could mean is that special weapons won't have effective bonus.  It's possible that each weapon type is effective against a different type of unit, maybe lances are anti riding or something and a type of magic is effective against heavy armor. 

Classes require to level up a skill level and if you meet the requirements you can reclass. Some classes can use certain weapons types and other can't. For example fist can't be used by riding or flying classes. You can still earn learn all the skills but at a lower rate. A Pegasus knight can level up fist but can't use them in combat . Although some classes may cap some skill. Similar to how it was done in previous games. Certain weapons and combat arts require your skill to be at a certain rank. Iron weapons need to be E+ for example. Classes also have special skills tied into them like lockpick with thieves that can't be carried over between classes. You at least have to master that class first.

Also despite the green haired guy getting a focus in riding he does't have a mount latter on. Also I don't expect the nobles to be just given mounts or armor with out promoting first. This leads me to believe that classes can train skills even if they can't actually use them.

6 minutes ago, Guest nanashi said:

In the second trailer you see the purple haired archer girl with an iron bow and and mini bow. The mini bow isn't effective against flyer. What this could mean is that special weapons won't have effective bonus.  It's possible that each weapon type is effective against a different type of unit, maybe lances are anti riding or something and a type of magic is effective against heavy armor. 

Classes require to level up a skill level and if you meet the requirements you can reclass. Some classes can use certain weapons types and other can't. For example fist can't be used by riding or flying classes. You can still earn learn all the skills but at a lower rate. A Pegasus knight can level up fist but can't use them in combat . Although some classes may cap some skill. Similar to how it was done in previous games. Certain weapons and combat arts require your skill to be at a certain rank. Iron weapons need to be E+ for example. Classes also have special skills tied into them like lockpick with thieves that can't be carried over between classes. You at least have to master that class first.

Also despite the green haired guy getting a focus in riding he does't have a mount latter on. Also I don't expect the nobles to be just given mounts or armor with out promoting first. This leads me to believe that classes can train skills even if they can't actually use them.

Even so, I think Cavalier/Flier/Knight will be very diverse this time - even moreso than Tellius, where we had Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow Cavaliers, think that, but add Faith and Reason Magic too. Given the way that Cavalry is a focus, and Troubadours exist already, l see them meshing them together into the Cavalier class with 6 different specialities. Armoured/Flying Archers/Mages have become a lot more prevalent in FE recently so I don't see why they wouldn't just add them in as different specialities the same as Cavalier to make it all uniform since Flying/Heavy Armour is a focus in this game the same as riding.

Guest nanashi
14 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Even so, I think Cavalier/Flier/Knight will be very diverse this time - even moreso than Tellius, where we had Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow Cavaliers, think that, but add Faith and Reason Magic too. Given the way that Cavalry is a focus, and Troubadours exist already, l see them meshing them together into the Cavalier class with 6 different specialities. Armoured/Flying Archers/Mages have become a lot more prevalent in FE recently so I don't see why they wouldn't just add them in as different specialities the same as Cavalier to make it all uniform since Flying/Heavy Armour is a focus in this game the same as riding.

With riding be a focus you can expect to  see a lot cavaliers. If IS wants to balance that in some way they could give lances anti cavalier properties like how bows are anti flyer. Or make some combat arts effective against them. I can see an empathizes an weapon types and classes having certain properties.

On 2019-02-23 at 3:18 PM, Guest nanashi said:

With riding be a focus you can expect to  see a lot cavaliers. If IS wants to balance that in some way they could give lances anti cavalier properties like how bows are anti flyer. Or make some combat arts effective against them. I can see an empathizes an weapon types and classes having certain properties.

With formations being a thing in this game, then, if soldiers return, I can see an anti-cavalry formation that's named either Pike Block or Schiltron (the Scottish version of a pike block), where everyone gets into a square with their pikes forward and they charge at the cavalryman. 

I'm interested to see how Reason and Faith magic is handled. Going off of the picture for Reason Magic it appears like it holds 2 subclasses of magic - what I'm imagining are the successors to Anima and Dark magic, but Idk how they would differentiate between them if they share the same weapon rank however, apart from interacting in a weapon triangle with Faith magic, specifically the "attacking" part of Faith magic, presuming that Faith magic has both healing and offensive spells. This would mean that in GBA terms Reason Magic is the amalgamation of Anima and Dark magic, while Faith is the amalgamation of Light and Healing magic.

I suspect very specifically that Heroes will be a returning class, as we’ve seen Edelgard wields and Axe, but she’s also holding a sword in one of the cutscenes, suggesting an axe/sword combo. In face I wonder if it’s the Hero’s outfit that we see in the scene where she sends men against the beast with the crest of gautier, since it seems different from the brigand outfit seen earlier. 

21 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

This would mean that in GBA terms Reason Magic is the amalgamation of Anima and Dark magic, while Faith is the amalgamation of Light and Healing magic.

On that note, how are we gonna classify debuffing magic? They where staffs but they are also "cheating bastard" spells.

11 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

On that note, how are we gonna classify debuffing magic? They where staffs but they are also "cheating bastard" spells.

Maybe the dark part of Reason, maybe Reason has attacking magic and "cheating bastard" magic, Faith has attacking magic and Healing magic.