Classes You Know About, Expect to See, or Want to See

2 hours ago, Martin said:

I just want healing units to simply ve refered to as "Healers" 

I just dont really like the slight religious title somes games had been going with lately.

Not sure why a lot of people seemingly have problem with religion in an FE game.

Anyways, a lot of older games also have references to religion. Cleric, Bishops, Priests, Saints etc. are all classes you can find at pre 3DS games. So classes that reference religion isn’t a new thing. 

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't really appeal to the thought of a person having to pray to or follow some type of following of some unknown deity (or known dragon that's supposed to be dead or dying) in order to have access to healing type magic. 

I like to think magic as a type of ability innate in human beings and could grow by practice. There's no deep reason why, it's just something I like better. 

Edited by Martin

21 hours ago, Martin said:

I just don't really appeal to the thought of a person having to pray to or follow some type of following of some unknown deity (or known dragon that's supposed to be dead or dying) in order to have access to healing type magic. 

I like to think magic as a type of ability innate in human beings and could grow by practice. There's no deep reason why, it's just something I like better. 

That is REASON magic.

Healing in Fire Emblem is patterned after the Apostles in the Four Gospels and the Book of Acts. They received the ability to heal NOT BECAUSE THEY EARNED IT somehow but GIVEN TO THEM by the Holy Spirit.

That explains the Religious connotations of Magic.

Also, in all faiths you cannot conjure magic without some worship if a deity, even if that deity is oneself.

1 hour ago, Jayvee94 said:

That is REASON magic.

Healing in Fire Emblem is patterned after the Apostles in the Four Gospels and the Book of Acts. They received the ability to heal NOT BECAUSE THEY EARNED IT somehow but GIVEN TO THEM by the Holy Spirit.

That explains the Religious connotations of Magic.

Also, in all faiths you cannot conjure magic without some worship if a deity, even if that deity is oneself.

Hey, man. New game. New rules. Unless the info you basing this off is indeed Three Houses. 

Many games in the Franchise barely explains at all how magic works. It will be decent to use a religious system to explain it in the Three Houses, I'll concede to that point, but if these people just going around throwing fire balls and lightning bolts using a book as some type of unexplained energy (or healing through will power or whatever), with little to no explanation, then I just do not at all see the point of their classes being related to religious titles. 

Besides, I personally like the idea that each person has a unique soul or realm within himself to draw magical power from. It makes humans seem more badass than having to ask some dude in the sky for some power all the time. Again, my opinion. Heck, I won't even be too bothered if they do go with the cleric/priest thing. I'm just saying, I'll actually be happier if they choose a different name for them. 

How about a Monk? Monks meditate to reach a higher state in mind. This could be seen as trying to train or reach their inner souls to connect with the healing magic. 

I hope we see wyverns or more specifically draco riders perhaps griffons as well, beyond that there' implication that all my favourite classes will be present.

For myself I see nothing wrong with implication of a resideing faith, religion and a well established patheon as oppossed to being some vague deity and like that this game seems to have an established religion it's refreshing I think to see them go back to that. I hope that the lore surrounding legendary weapons will be similarly devoloped these things make the world come more alive and have a sense of being real and genuine.

I'd be shocked if we don't see wyverns in the game, not so much so in the case of the Griffons.(Although, I'd be hyped to see them return as well.)

I specifically hope they introduce some new concepts in terms of balancing for classes: like a mage that has low resistance, but high defense. Sorta like a Boey type class, but with actual MAG stat so they actually do some damage. A dark-mage, but with EXTRA def and movement penalty. That's be pretty interesting to see to me. Their natural 1-2 range tome weapons will sorta-kinda make up for the availability flaw that most knights have. 

This leads me to another thought, anyone know what's up with the class promotion system?? I personally think they should mix things up more and just do away with the generally current class tree in favor of some more changes here and there. 

Edited by Martin

Anyone have any clue what class this unit could be?:

Spoiler

5c7c3edb95dfa_3houses1.png.e9fc269086a983e518d00b9b22733701.png5c7c3f79d8f02_3houses2.png.f8c9b60e9a347e92990862a3b4597d2a.png

At first I thought she might a female mercenary due to the headgear, but the female mercenary seen in Claude's army looks pretty different:

Spoiler

5c7c3fe3b7706_3houses7.png.2c5b27847ba57a73a800dc7850f1bdc2.png

She doesn't look armored enough for her to be a knight, so maybe unarmored infantry lance units are making a return?

Edit: Actually, looking through the video, that "spear" may just be an axe at an angle. So she might just be a female brigand, but even so she still looks pretty different from Edelgard as a Brigand.

Edited by Calico

2 hours ago, Calico said:

Anyone have any clue what class this unit could be?:

Hide contents

5c7c3edb95dfa_3houses1.png.e9fc269086a983e518d00b9b22733701.png5c7c3f79d8f02_3houses2.png.f8c9b60e9a347e92990862a3b4597d2a.png

At first I thought she might a female mercenary due to the headgear, but the female mercenary seen in Claude's army looks pretty different:

Hide contents

5c7c3fe3b7706_3houses7.png.2c5b27847ba57a73a800dc7850f1bdc2.png

She doesn't look armored enough for her to be a knight, so maybe unarmored infantry lance units are making a return?

Edit: Actually, looking through the video, that "spear" may just be an axe at an angle. So she might just be a female brigand, but even so she still looks pretty different from Edelgard as a Brigand.

Yeah, I'm seeing an axe too. Though about the visual differences, it bears mentioning that since Petra is accompanied by "Empire Infantry" as a member of the black eagles, there's a pretty decent chance that each house will get their own soldiers, Advance Wars style, and Caspar's and Claude's would consequently not look the same. Or maybe that's just a cgi thing.

And well, perhaps Edelgard gets a non-generic brigand garb since it looks like a pretty natural class choice for her and she's a main character.

Edited by Cysx

17 hours ago, Cysx said:

Yeah, I'm seeing an axe too. Though about the visual differences, it bears mentioning that since Petra is accompanied by "Empire Infantry" as a member of the black eagles, there's a pretty decent chance that each house will get their own soldiers, Advance Wars style, and Caspar's and Claude's would consequently not look the same. Or maybe that's just a cgi thing.

And well, perhaps Edelgard gets a non-generic brigand garb since it looks like a pretty natural class choice for her and she's a main character.

Yeah, I think each house will get their own soldiers, so Claude could have Alliance Infantry and so on, but I think they'll all have access to more or less the same types of troops (depending on whether or not there are route-exclusive classes or not), just with a different color palette depending on the house.

Like in the trailer, we can see that Petra's Empire Infantry look like mercenaries, and Bernadetta's unnamed troops look like archers. Further along in the trailer, Edelgard is shown using spear-wielding cavalry troops, so it looks like troops will be based off of pre-existing classes, and there are different types of troops.

It's entirely possible that Edelgard just gets a special design. I'd be a little disappointed, because her brigand outfit looks great, but it would make sense. I just hope that that isn't the case, and it's a different class. Maybe a fighter? I don't know if having brigand as a playable class would make it obsolete or not. Myrmidons and mercenaries have different roles, so there is precedent...

Guest Soobin's loaf of bread

I REALLY wanna see some shapeshifters, but only if it makes sense for them to be in Fódlan. The 'Fighting' class could include Beaststones. After all, the beasts DO technically fight with their fists/claws. Maybe cat laguz?

Manaketes are also a given.

2 hours ago, Calico said:

Yeah, I think each house will get their own soldiers, so Claude could have Alliance Infantry and so on, but I think they'll all have access to more or less the same types of troops (depending on whether or not there are route-exclusive classes or not), just with a different color palette depending on the house.

Like in the trailer, we can see that Petra's Empire Infantry look like mercenaries, and Bernadetta's unnamed troops look like archers. Further along in the trailer, Edelgard is shown using spear-wielding cavalry troops, so it looks like troops will be based off of pre-existing classes, and there are different types of troops.

It's entirely possible that Edelgard just gets a special design. I'd be a little disappointed, because her brigand outfit looks great, but it would make sense. I just hope that that isn't the case, and it's a different class. Maybe a fighter? I don't know if having brigand as a playable class would make it obsolete or not. Myrmidons and mercenaries have different roles, so there is precedent...

They definitely look inspired from regular classes at the very least, and the same as the generic bandits Bernadetta and Petra face. Though I brought up Advance Wars because countries didn't get different classes of units, just slight visual distinctions on most of them. One country's infantry could be wearing a jacket and the other a coat, for example. But both were still the exact same unit when it came to gameplay.

I wondered about fighters as well, it's really surprising that they'd replace it with brigand in a context where the latter's naming fits so poorly. So yes, maybe it's that.

Edited by Cysx

On 3/4/2019 at 5:17 AM, Calico said:

Maybe a fighter? I don't know if having brigand as a playable class would make it obsolete or not.

In Archanaea, there are Archers and Hunters. They are both BOW FIGHTERS, yet the promote to different classes, SNIPER and HORSEMAN, respectively. When branched promotions are introduced, these separate classes are merged. Axe Fighters and Brigands still have different classes they can promote to so they remain separate classes.

Considering the new class system these will likely be merged: Fighters and Brigands; Mercenaries and Myrmidons. It will depend on the unit's strength on which promoted class they will gravitate to. Edelgard for example may naturally fall into the Brigand -> Hero path.

1 hour ago, Jayvee94 said:

In Archanaea, there are Archers and Hunters. They are both BOW FIGHTERS, yet the promote to different classes, SNIPER and HORSEMAN, respectively. When branched promotions are introduced, these separate classes are merged. Axe Fighters and Brigands still have different classes they can promote to so they remain separate classes.

Considering the new class system these will likely be merged: Fighters and Brigands; Mercenaries and Myrmidons. It will depend on the unit's strength on which promoted class they will gravitate to. Edelgard for example may naturally fall into the Brigand -> Hero path.

I don't know about axe fighters and brigands, but I really, really doubt that they'll merge myrmidons and mercenaries. 

22 hours ago, Calico said:

I really, really doubt that they'll merge myrmidons and mercenaries.

I understand, as these classes has been separate for many games. However, understand this: mercenaries promote to heroes and rangers/bow knights; myrmidons promote to swordmasters and another sword-weilding class. 

If the speculations are true, assuming 3H retains both classes, it's possible for a myrmidon to promote to a bow knight.

If they merge it, we can only distinguish "myrmidons" as fragile speedster, high sword weapon rank, and virtually nothing else (ie only E (not E+) in axe)

I think, taking inspiration from Heroes, each class/weapon combination is treated as one class, such as Myrmidon and Mercenary being treated as the same class and the individual's stats determine their "role" rather than their class. As for promotions, I wonder if we are able to let units train in other professor skills even after they promote so they have a wide variety of promotions, if so the promotion screen for Mercenary might look sort of like this:

Mercenary:

-> Swordmaster(A in Sword)

-> Hero(B in Sword, D in Lance/Axe/Bow/Fighting)

-> Mage Fighter(B in Sword, D in Reason/Faith)

or the other physical classes have a similar promotion screen:

Archer:

-> Sniper(A in Bow)

- > Hero - Idk what they'd call this class apart from Hero to keep it general(B in Bow; D in Sword/Lance/Axe/Fighting)

-> Mage Fighter(B in Bow; D in Reason/Faith)

Idk how they would handle Riding/Hvy Armour/Flying skills however, maybe they're just locked after you promote to an infantry class? Or others are locked when you promote to their movement type class.

20 hours ago, Shadow Knight said:

As always, Dread Fighter. It has been my favorite class since Awakening and always my final class in each game.

I feel that Dread Fighter might become a "sword + fighting" class.

We already have several names for combat medics

• War Cleric - Axe, Faith
  • Trickster - Sword, Faith
  • Adventurer/Priestess - Bow, Faith
  • Great Master - Lance, Faith
Edited by Jayvee94

I can see the game will allow for many combination of weapons for mounted units.

I imagine each mount will give a general stat distribution:

• Pegasus/Kinshi - Fragile Speedster/Mage Killer
  • Wyvern - Mighty Glacier
  • Griffon - Jack of All Stats

21 minutes ago, Jayvee94 said:

I can see the game will allow for many combination of weapons for mounted units.

I imagine each mount will give a general stat distribution:

• Pegasus/Kinshi - Fragile Speedster/Mage Killer
  • Wyvern - Mighty Glacier
  • Griffon - Jack of All Stats

I had the idea that Pegasi, Wyverns and Griffons are statistically identical and are differentiated by the country each unit is from, the Griffon is on Faerghus's flag so their "flier" branch will feature Griffons, while Pegasi and Wyverns will feature in Adrestia and Leicester's flier class. It would allow a nice way of integrating all 3 without being confusing and also adding some more world building into the class system.

2 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

So how exactly will the flying training work will there be a separate thing for wyverns and will there be three sisters or friends who will use triangle attack?

That's why I think that Pegasi/Griffons/Wyverns will all be considered fliers just seperated by where a unit comes from, e.g. a Faerghusian will ride a Griffon when promote, using the same level of Flying as an Adrestrian who will ride a Wyvern when they promote.

On 3/6/2019 at 12:44 PM, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

So how exactly will the flying training work will there be a separate thing for wyverns and will there be three sisters or friends who will use triangle attack?

My best guess is that Wyverns are going to require both Flying and Heavy Armor training. They are the tough and durable flyers, so it would make sense.

Triangle attack I'm really unsure about; it's a possibility though.

8 minutes ago, Ayra said:

My best guess is that Wyverns are going to require both Flying and Heavy Armor training. They are the tough and durable flyers, so it would make sense.

Triangle attack I'm really unsure about; it's a possibility though.

Seeing the way they handle classes and how Awakeing and Fates didn't have Triangles, my bet is if this game does have one it won't be the classic Pegasus Sisters one. In fact i think it's more probable we get something similar to Rolf/Oscar/Boyds Triangle or a Magic Triangle like in Genealogy. It would be cool if there were 3 magic using teachers of the Monastery we can recruit and they together can do it.