Which characters are you looking forward to playing?

Anacybele

Marth and Roy, as they're my main and my secondary respectively.

Also, Pichu and Young Link, as I've never played Melee.

I loved the Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer and Snake in Brawl, so I'm really excited to play them again.

Inkling looks really good, so I'll be picking her up.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I adore Zelda's new design. She's far more expressive and just happy to be here. And I totally dig the cape. Very Fire Emblem. The bare back on her old design always appeared very offputting. One thing I wanted out of this game was for a playable Zelda character to reference a zelda game before Ocarina of Time. There was actually an error in the english version of the Direct where they said she's from ALBW, but her clothes are actually based on Alttp. So there we go.

Gameplay wise she seems to have some upgrades as well. Her Jab behaves more like other multijabs and hopefully won't be the slowest jab in the game. Din's Fire no longer causes special fall. And the Phantom at full charge acts independently of zelda, allowing her to follow up on its attack or try to grab the shielding opponent. This probably isn't enough to lift her out of bottom tier since every veteran we've seen appears to have very relevant buffs, particularly in speed, but I'm definitely looking forward to trying her out. Bowser's redesign for Smash 4 really intrigued me and he ended up being my main even to this day. I'm hoping to find a similar connection with Zelda whom I haven't tried to work since Melee.

But the most complete answer is that I want to play as everybody. That's the case with every new smash game. And I'm hoping the modes in this new one will end up being compelling enough that I'll replay with every character.

Yeah Zelda has always been one of my favorites to use, I just hope she's decent at the very least.

From what Dabuz (a big time Rosalina player in Smash 4) has been saying she seems at least improved a bit.

Edited by Jedi

9 hours ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

On the other hand I don't like seeing Ganondorf's OoT design back, but it gives me the hope that he could become as decent as he was in Melee. 

???? Ganondorf was never good in Melee.

That said, his N-air is incredibly fast in Ultimate, so this is probably the best version of Ganondorf we're getting. Can't wait to see how else they've improved him.

You can mash out of Ganoncide though and i'm still actually upset about that.

38 minutes ago, Armagon said:

???? Ganondorf was never good in Melee.

That said, his N-air is incredibly fast in Ultimate, so this is probably the best version of Ganondorf we're getting. Can't wait to see how else they've improved him.

You can mash out of Ganoncide though and i'm still actually upset about that.

Ganondorf was a high tier for a very long time in competitive Melee.

16 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Ganondorf was a high tier for a very long time in competitive Melee.

The current Melee tier list places him at the top of E-tier. So he's not terrible, but he's not good either.

Edited by Armagon

I'm looking forward to Young Link, and how distinctive they make the three Heroes of Hyrule. How they make Pichu not just a worse Pikachu, and yet hopefully don't make Pikachu bad, will also be something to take notice of. How Jigglypuff, who has been pretty weak the past two games, get buffed when they have such issues of reach and lightness will be another thing to observe. Similarly, Wii Fit Trainer has the whole range issue, and how they fix an ordinary human form without the least bit of exaggeration and sans any melee weapons is yet one more character I'll read about on Smash Wiki later.

But in terms of playing, I never main, gets too boring that way. I continually swap up my character, even if I have those I prefer over others. 

38 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The current Melee tier list places him at the top of E-tier. So he's not terrible, but he's not good either.

That was the best version of Ganondorf we were ever fortunate enough to get. I will say that now this guy looks terrifying in Ultimate. 

I'm wondering whether any of the heavyweights will break high tier in the new game. I think Bowser had the best shot in Smash 4 but I haven't noticed much changed about him for Ultimate. I'd probably notice more if anybody bothered to play him in these demos. Or DK. 

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

That was the best version of Ganondorf we were ever fortunate enough to get. I will say that now this guy looks terrifying in Ultimate. 

I'm wondering whether any of the heavyweights will break high tier in the new game. I think Bowser had the best shot in Smash 4 but I haven't noticed much changed about him for Ultimate. I'd probably notice more if anybody bothered to play him in these demos. Or DK. 

I thought Dedede was high at some point? Not entirely sure though.

Ike could be high this time, I keep hearing his up-air is super good now. So he might have gotten other great changes too.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

ohh right. I forgot about Brawl. Yeah he had an obnoxious down throw that infinites some characters and has no knockback scaling, good juggling, the best surviveability due to his weight and recovery, and good edgeguarding. You could call him high tier.

57 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I think Bowser had the best shot in Smash 4 but I haven't noticed much changed about him for Ultimate.

Bowser used to be high-tier but that was back in the early Smash 3DS days when a lot of the more advanced stuff wasn't able to be done because the 3DS didn't have a lot of options.

32 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Bowser used to be high-tier but that was back in the early Smash 3DS days when a lot of the more advanced stuff wasn't able to be done because the 3DS didn't have a lot of options.

Oh I disagree greatly as a Bowser main. Bowser benefitted greatly from patch updates post Wii U release. The first thing was they gave him the majority control over his Side B. This is important because Bowsercide is bugged to kill Bowser a frame before the opponent on most stages, giving the victim a consitent opportunity to recover back to the ledge by buffering double jump before Bowser dies. About half the cast can make it to the ledge from the very bottom blast zone in Smash 4 so it made the move incredibly risky against opponents that knew the matchup and forced him over the edge with their majority control. By the way, hope this bug is fixed in the new game, I notice Bowser has a new Side B animation so there's hope, but it's also a bug carried over from Brawl and I just want Bowsercide to work in a game.

Bowser was at his best though when a patch update converted his weakest throw into a combo throw. It was the most threatening throw in the game matched only by Donkey Kong's Cargo Uthrow allowing for the same 19-30% combos and insane kill potential. The Donkey Kong comparison is apt because Bowser had all of DK's strengths (weight, great range and kill moves, a long range jab with mixups, limb intangibility on attacks), but Bowser lacked the combo throw. Bowser basically became DK but mildly better since his Up B was great out of shield and his grab range is the longest of any non-tether grab. Some months later they nerfed the throw to scale more but it's still among the higher echelon of great combo/kill setups. Now Bowser and DK basically share a mid tier slot in Smash 4 and that's the highest either character has ever ranked in a game.

Edited by Glennstavos

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Ike could be high this time, I keep hearing his up-air is super good now. So he might have gotten other great changes too.

watching one of the trailers, it looks like his up air combos from his grabs, I do hope Ike gets more buffs, he seems way different in this game, I think his rd self looked more like his art.

on the topic, zelda has been my main since brawl, and she seems to only be getting buffs, I really can't wait to see how the phantom slash is now, that was one of the things that made her really good in sm4sh and here she seems more viable than ever, they finally fixed her side b, I thought sakurai had some problem with that but they are taking notes, and I absolutely adore the design they chose.

I knew that robin would be back, but I am still happy to see him back, he was my main alongside zelda

I got a little choked up when snake was announced, he was one of my favorite play styles in brawl and now that I am not terrible, I can really learn him nowi.

and I always enjoyed messing about with Ike and I am happy they gave us both Ikes, I hope they give us vanguard Ike at some point, even if it was $15 dlc, I would consider it, the only reason why I would ever go back to brawl now it because we can mod vanguard Ike in.

I really hope there are more alts in this one, they really seem to want to add more, because builder and wedding mario are incredibly superfluous and they said that they didn't have the time to note every change, really hoping for grandmaster robin.

they ruined marth.

@Glennstavos I'm pretty sure that was intentional to prevent Bowser from cheesing matches where he and his opponent have one stock left, who knows how it will be in ultimate though, they went back on Zelda's side b killing her in the air and I thought that had to be theoretically game breaking for that to be the case, or maybe no one cared enough to change it, maybe it was remaining code from brawl and it broke the move to remove it and they didn't want to start almost from scratch.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

2 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

watching one of the trailers, it looks like his up air combos from his grabs, I do hope Ike gets more buffs, he seems way different in this game, I think his rd self looked more like his art.

Yeah, being the strongest hero in his series' lore, he should be very good! :P

Edited by Anacybele

16 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

watching one of the trailers, it looks like his up air combos from his grabs.

That's normal. 'Course his U-Air is different now so maybe it will link even better.

@Glennstavos I'm pretty sure that was intentional to prevent Bowser from cheesing matches where he has one stock left, who knows how it will be in ultimate though, they went back on Zelda's side b killing her in the air and I thought that had to be theoretically game breaking for that to be the case, or maybe no one cared enough to change it, maybe it was remaining code from brawl and it broke the move to remove it and they didn't want to start almost from scratch.

Bugs are not intentional. The victim is released on some stages but not others. The intended Bowsercide effect is to kill both characters on the same frame, resulting in a sudden death if both were on their last stock. Pretty much any suicide move has some version of this bug except for Ganon's which always results in a win for him with no chance of recovery. All I want is for neither character to be able to recover. I won't mind how they decide which suicide moves award you a win, a loss, or a sudden death as long as its consistent.

Interestingly, though the bug originates from Brawl, it used to be reversed and some stages released Bowser a frame before Death. But he could only return to the stage during a stage transition in Delfino Plaza or Castle Siege. Both of which were legal stages in that game. 

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

That's normal. 'Course his U-Air is different now so maybe it will link even better.

Bugs are not intentional. The victim is released on some stages but not others. The intended Bowsercide effect is to kill both characters on the same frame, resulting in a sudden death if both were on their last stock. Pretty much any suicide move has some version of this bug except for Ganon's which always results in a win for him with no chance of recovery. All I want is for neither character to be able to recover. I won't mind how they decide which suicide moves award you a win, a loss, or a sudden death as long as its consistent.

Interestingly, though the bug originates from Brawl, it used to be reversed and some stages released Bowser a frame before Death. But he could only return to the stage during a stage transition in Delfino Plaza or Castle Siege. Both of which were legal stages in that game. 

Oh, ok I thought you were talking about bowser dying first in bowserside, in my opinion every suicide move should kill the user first, but yeah, that is weird, they probably fixed it, from the looks of things this will be the tightest smash bros yet, they are really looking to make a nearly perfect game with special attention going to every character who has odd issues.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I mean, you're ignoring years where he was considered better just for your blanket statement. 

The meta has advanced yes, but I don't see why you need to deny that he is at least decent.

Definitely Ridley. He seems like a blast to play with, literally mopping the floor with his opponents. Plus, he is just a really cool character in general.

I'm also looking forward to playing Ivysaur again. I just love that little bugger. Probably mostly because of it's German dub. I love how deep and energetic it is, especially coming from that little guy. Or girl, as the case may be. Plus, there is just something to be said about a little quadrupedal animal kicking ass and taking names.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

I mean, you're ignoring years where he was considered better just for your blanket statement. 

The meta has advanced yes, but I don't see why you need to deny that he is at least decent.

And i respectfully admit my ignorance. I wasn't aware that there was a time where Melee Ganondorf was considered decent.

The reason i don't think he is now is because how many times do you see a Ganondorf appear at important tournaments? It's usually just the top 8 characters on the tier list.

Im defedently going to main Pichu again after all these years. and use her alongside villager and a few others. I cant wait to get my hands on this.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Mii Swordfighter in my OP! I made my Frederick Mii into one and used him quite a bit despite Mii Swordfighter being near dirt bottom of the tier list in Smash 4.

I hope he's gotten much better and that we really do get to use Miis online like Sakurai's trying to do.

4 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Honestly? Daisy, of all characters. I think it's cool she's finally in. Now all they have to do is add Waluigi and the core Mario crew will all be playable.

Uh, I would consider Toad more a member of the "core" Mario crew than Waluigi. And Toad isn't playable. He's a move.

Edited by Anacybele

Young Link, Pichu, Zelda, and Ganondorf. I'm actually upset with how they've changed Link. It's not like I dislike Breath of the Wild or anything, but I don't like that it's become the symbol of Link.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:55 PM, Glennstavos said:

There was actually an error in the english version of the Direct where they said she's from ALBW, but her clothes are actually based on Alttp. So there we go.

A Link Between Worlds was pitched as a sequel to A Link to the Past. That's why it's the same design, so it wasn't actually an error, only another tidpit of info on this iteration of Zelda. Personally it's by far my fav Zelda design, so no complaints here.

I'm interested in giving new Wolf a go, but I'm super happy the Ice Climbers are back. Otherwise I'm just focussed on getting a new main, since the changes to Peach and Jigglypuff (and Ice Climber's absence) borked me all up. I'm gonna give Villager, Duck Hunt, and Inkling a lot of attention.

Edited by Altrosa