Which characters are you looking forward to playing?

Anacybele

Everybody's back in Smash Ultimate, so this thread is obligatory imo. :P

We still have a lot of familiar faces from Smash Wii U/3DS, but with the returning characters that were left out of Brawl and/or Smash 4 as well as the three newcomers and changes to other characters we have so far, there's surely something for everyone to look forward to!

For me, there're of course my long-time mains Ike and Luigi (Luigi even longer because Melee. Never played Smash 64) and while Luigi looks unchanged, Ike got a little bit of updating, so I'm especially looking forward to him again!

Also, MY AWESOME PRINCESS DAISY! I'm still so ecstatic that my most wanted character actually got in! I wasn't too confident on Daisy mainly because of Waluigi and his fanboys existing. But I love her a lot and I'm so happy she's in! She may just be a Peach clone, but I don't care, it's Daisy, and I never played Peach because I dislike her. So I'm looking forward to learning that moveset for a change, but with flower power!

I also used Toon Link, Robin, and Dark Pit in Smash Wii U/3DS, so of course I'll use them sometimes again too. I might also add regular Link this time because of how great Zelda BotW was. And his cool remote bombs!

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My most primary mains are Game & Watch since Melee, Wario since Brawl, and Robin and Dr. Mario since 4. I also like to play Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, and Gorgonzoladork as secondaries.

But of the newcomers and returning cuts... I used Snake a lot back in Brawl so I'll likely pick him up again here as a secondary, and of course I've been waiting years for Ridley so he's absolutely going to be one of my primaries no matter how he plays.

Princess Zelda has always been my main, regardless of how low tier she's considered.

and I'm going to be mad if "HI IM DAISY" doesn't make the cut.

Definitely Zelda! Her, Peach, and Zero Suit have been my mains since Brawl, but Zelda looks like she has really improved (from what I've seen in gameplay videos of her), so I'm super excited. Other than them, I'm interested in seeing how Pichu, Young Link, and Dr. Mario have changed that no longer make them clones/semi-clones.

Oh, and the Ice Climbers! Really happy to have them back

Ike is probably my main boi.  He got me through some real tight spots.

Snake, I also liked.  He's fairly heavy, and has the strategic play like Robin does.

And Lucina's been the one I've opted for over Marth when I wanted just straight up technical swordfighting.

Probably play Link and Weegee just for old times sake.  Will try out Daisy as well.

My three mains: Shulk, Roy and Corrin. I'm especially looking forward to trying out new combos with Shulk since quick select Monado Arts is going to allow for some cool neat tricks. Roy also seems to have gotten a buff as Flare Blade can be reversed and i'm hearing it can be angled too.

Also

Dfnw5uqUcAAnuC1.jpg

The Monado has range. I don't remember it being that long in Smash 4.

Edited by Armagon

I’m excited for the return of Pichu and Young Link. Also for Roy since he’s my main and I was a bit scared he would be cut from the roster.

Is it me or did Ganondorf finally get a different moveset?! I swear I saw him swinging a giant sword around. He’s also the OT version of Ganondorf which is my favorite. Can’t wait to try him out.

I never got the DLC for Bayonetta and Cloud so looking forward to actually being able to play as them.

Even though Daisy is clone or “echo” character I’m happy she’s in regardless. As long as “HI IM DAISY” makes the cut then I’ll definitely find myself using her over Peach.

I'll be maining Pokémon Trainer, Mario and Captain Falcon. Other characters I like playing as are Lucario, Mewtwo, Corrin, Young Link and Sonic. I'm also thinking of trying out Marth now and I'm interested in seeing if Zelda gets buffed in any way.

Oh, so many.

Samus - She can charge in the air!!!

Pikachu - Was never a fan of the moveset, but I'd like to give Pikachu libre a shot.

Peach/Daisy - I've always enjoyed playing Peach and I can see myself swapping between the two.

Ice Climbers - No more wobbling! Still looking forward to playing them again.

Zelda - As much as I do love TP Zelda, seeing ALBW Zelda made me realize that TP Zelda was feeling old. I like the new look, and it looks like she's been improved. Din's Fire in the air doesn't leave her helpless and the phantom looks to have more use as well.

Lucina/Marth - Will keep playing them. Faster Dancing Blade is nice, as is being able to angle shield breaker.

Zero Suit Samus - Gotta spread the Metroid love.

Ike - I'll probably swap between both designs.

Pokemon Trainer - Female trainer! I do hope in the final game it won't auto switch after losing a stock so players can main any individual Pokemon.

R.O.B. - That DK pose, though. And that gauge seems like it would be really tough to actually pay attention to mid match.

Wolf - He was my favorite of the SF trio so I'm excited to play him again.

Wii Fit Trainer - Was never my favorite moveset but I liked to play her for the laughs.

Rosalina & Luma - My #1 Smash 4 main, gotta go again.

Robin - Hopefully she's faster.

Corrin - Sigh...I didn't expect it, but I really hoped Sakurai would switch Corrin to female default. Oh well. I'll still play her.

Bayonetta - I sucked with Bayonetta in Smash 4, but maybe I can be better with her here. Looks like she wasn't nerfed LOL.

Inkling - This is a maybe, if I find the moveset fun. On the other hand, if we can get Octoling as an echo, that is a definite yes.

Ridley - I'm not a hardcore Ridley fan, but I love Metroid, and Ridley looks great. It's hard to believe I can look forward to playing as Ridley in Smash.

8 minutes ago, Florete said:

Bayonetta - I sucked with Bayonetta in Smash 4, but maybe I can be better with her here. Looks like she wasn't nerfed LOL.

Apparently in a video he put up after the Invitational Armada claims Sakurai was taking notes on the stage during the tourney and 'looked disgusted' by Bayonetta, which was understandable as the Stage they chose meant she was getting kill confirms at like 50% which is an abomination. Caution is advised to those thinking she'll stay mind-numbingly broken.

As for the thread itself...

PICHU IS BACK. NO MORE NEED BE SAID.

6 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Apparently in a video he put up after the Invitational Armada claims Sakurai was taking notes on the stage during the tourney and 'looked disgusted' by Bayonetta, which was understandable as the Stage they chose meant she was getting kill confirms at like 50% which is an abomination. Caution is advised to those thinking she'll stay mind-numbingly broken.

I hope this is true, I can't believe anybody would think that kind of stuff is fine in the game! She definitely looked too broken.

Ike & Sonic are my go to guys but I pretty much want to try literally every character, because all the little changes they've made and added, not to mention i'll be in the compeitive scene so understanding how every character works will be a boon.

I adore Zelda's new design. She's far more expressive and just happy to be here. And I totally dig the cape. Very Fire Emblem. The bare back on her old design always appeared very offputting. One thing I wanted out of this game was for a playable Zelda character to reference a zelda game before Ocarina of Time. There was actually an error in the english version of the Direct where they said she's from ALBW, but her clothes are actually based on Alttp. So there we go.

Gameplay wise she seems to have some upgrades as well. Her Jab behaves more like other multijabs and hopefully won't be the slowest jab in the game. Din's Fire no longer causes special fall. And the Phantom at full charge acts independently of zelda, allowing her to follow up on its attack or try to grab the shielding opponent. This probably isn't enough to lift her out of bottom tier since every veteran we've seen appears to have very relevant buffs, particularly in speed, but I'm definitely looking forward to trying her out. Bowser's redesign for Smash 4 really intrigued me and he ended up being my main even to this day. I'm hoping to find a similar connection with Zelda whom I haven't tried to work since Melee.

But the most complete answer is that I want to play as everybody. That's the case with every new smash game. And I'm hoping the modes in this new one will end up being compelling enough that I'll replay with every character.

Edited by Glennstavos

Looking forward to Marth 'cause, again, they took way too long to finally have him speak English in Smash (hopefully Roy too).

Will also be nice to finally play Wolf again. And though I've personally never been a huge Metroid fan, Ridley looks like a lot of fun (btw, the gameplay portion in his reveal trailer, where he {probably Down Smash} hits Link with his tail and Link just falls over then blows up a la lava hazard KO? I have a hunch that was a subtle hint at Stamina Mode--and by extension, Special Smash--making a return).

I should note that I'm looking forward to playing EVERYONE, really. I always make sure to get some practice in with every character, use them in all the singleplayer modes, and switch things up often in multiplayer.

In truth, my true main is the Random button.

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I adore Zelda's new design. She's far more expressive and just happy to be here. And I totally dig the cape. Very Fire Emblem. The bare back on her old design always appeared very offputting. One thing I wanted out of this game was for a playable Zelda character to reference a zelda game before Ocarina of Time. There was actually an error in the english version of the Direct where they said she's from ALBW, but her clothes are actually based on Alttp. So there we go.

Is there honestly a difference? Both outfits are pretty similar.

zelda__super_smash_bros__ultimate_render

latest?cb=20110503050744

latest?cb=20131115041844

I’m looking forward to everyone, especially Ridley.

Snake and Wolf because they have been my favorites in the Smash series and I was really pissed that they were cut in 4. 
Also nice to see Ice-Climbers back.
I really like Zelda's ALBW design (the only Zelda game I've actually played). I hope she'll be finally usable.
On the other hand I don't like seeing Ganondorf's OoT design back, but it gives me the hope that he could become as decent as he was in Melee.